Veolia Gearing Up to Slash LI Bus Service Next Year

mark1447

Rode the N40 once Mineola-Freeport during the late AM rush. Most people were riding between Mineola, Hempstead, and Freeport transfer centers, there were quite a few intermediate stops but nowhere near every single stop. Most stops were only one rider on (very few offs except for the transit centers). Converting the N40 to an "express" that only stopped at the transit centers during the hours of N41/N43 operation is a good idea.

Well, I don't think it should be during all of the hours that the N41/N43 run. Off-peak, you'd be leaving the local riders with 30-40 minute service.

And I'd add Uniondale Avenue as a stop (so riders can have an easier transfer between the local and limited)

By the way, do you think an N41/N43 swap should happen, in order to simplify the network?

2) which would equate to more money for veolia to pocket & do w/e they want w/ it...

It's like your moms givin you 5 dollars for lunch everyday.... you only spend $2 of it everyday; you net $3/day; 15/week.... you do that every month, on top of whatever you get for allowance, and you can get that PS3 game your moms claim she doesn't have the money for....

- lunch = bus service (the bare necessity, in this case)

- allowance = w/e monies they'd get from elsewhere

- ps3 game = (monies towards) extended vacations & fancy cars, and other luxuries....

^^ that analogy came natural to me b/c it's actually what I did, growin up (of course, replace PS3 w/ SNES & Genesis)....

3) means nothing... That's like me livin in a quiet-is-as-kept neighborhood somewhere, and me being okay w/ more middle class blacks from other areas coming into my area - just b/c they're black.... It's called the small-town mentality.... and places like lido beach & long beach fit that to a T....

As for the villages replacing some of the routes.... that I don't know; Joel (Azumah) would be a better person to ask that question....

What I will say is, why would the city of long beach want to provide transportation to far rockaway.... If the N33 were to go, I can assure you long beach/lido beach folks wouldn't wince, much less show any amt. of concern....

For some reason, I didn't see your post when I replied to Amtrak. Anyway...

2) I'm just saying that their budget is going to be more than a couple of million. I remember hearing $106 million thrown around. Either way, it'll barely be enough to run the core system.

3) True.

As far as the N33 goes, I guess that means the ridership base was Far Rockaway, right?

At the public hearing, there was a councilman who talked about people who use the N33 to get to English classes. Maybe there's some way he would try to get the LB route to go to Far Rockaway.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I don't think it should be during all of the hours that the N41/N43 run. Off-peak, you'd be leaving the local riders with 30-40 minute service.

And I'd add Uniondale Avenue as a stop (so riders can have an easier transfer between the local and limited)

By the way, do you think an N41/N43 swap should happen, in order to simplify the network?

Adding Uniondale Avenue would work. An N41/N43 swap would make the N41 useless as it'll be the same as the N40. The N43 should stay as it is.

$106 million sounds about right, if that's wrong it's 104M.

True.

As far as the N33 goes, I guess that means the ridership base was Far Rockaway, right?

At the public hearing, there was a councilman who talked about people who use the N33 to get to English classes. Maybe there's some way he would try to get the LB route to go to Far Rockaway.

N33's ridership base revolving around Far rockaway... Yep.

as for that councilman... he can try, but he's not gonna get much if any backing/support from residents....

Speaking of Long Island, do you know what happened tonight at Rockville Cetre`s Merrick Rd/Park Av South stop?

17:36 4 Freeport #1727 arrived/departed ontime 18:26, it was free-fare because driver were covering up farebox with his worksheet!!

When they saw it was free, they were :)ing!! Right before Veolia takeover! LOL!

Maybe farebox was broken and or transfers finish out?

Adding Uniondale Avenue would work. An N41/N43 swap would make the N41 useless as it'll be the same as the N40. The N43 should stay as it is.

$106 million sounds about right, if that's wrong it's 104M.

That's the point. The N41 would be eliminated and those trips would be relabeled as N40s (that's why I said it would simplify the network). Feel free to disagree.

So that $106 million includes:

* Farebox revenue

* DOT money

* The measley few million Nassau County's putting down

Correct?

How About Everyone STFU and think about the people who use this system more than the rest of us, They are gonna suffer the most,

As for the N33 Long Beach Transit can take it back if they wanted to

but from the way i see the buses now, they look and run like shit, don't be surprised if you see different used old buses in LIB once it gets taken over

How About Everyone STFU and think about the people who use this system more than the rest of us, They are gonna suffer the most,

As for the N33 Long Beach Transit can take it back if they wanted to

but from the way i see the buses now, they look and run like shit, don't be surprised if you see different used old buses in LIB once it gets taken over

Relax, man. We're just speculating on what's going to happen, and for your information, several of the people speculating actually do live out in Nassau and are going to be affected. I don't think any of us want cuts to the service (or cuts this large anyway).

It's the Nassau County excecutives you should be angry with, not us.

not on 2-3 million dollars for 48 bus routes....

for someone that claims to know (and actually gloat) so much about planning, you post the most inane crap when it comes to bus routes by far on this forum.... and don't give me that "sometimes you have to be different" garbage either...

This is the first time I actually heard a financial figure, and I honestly didn't think Veolia was that stupid. I mean, its clear that they're being used as a political tool to help Mangano stick it to the (MTA) but $3 million for that huge network? They must be smoking some special ganja.

The irony is that all Mangano needs is for any potential cuts to not be as draconian than what the (MTA) proposed and he'll still come out on top, even in the most liberal definition of what that phrase means.

And you shouldn't make fun of his "master" plan. The CEO of Veolia would love a paper copy of his plan to help potty train his dog.

Relax, man. We're just speculating on what's going to happen, and for your information, several of the people speculating actually do live out in Nassau and are going to be affected. I don't think any of us want cuts to the service (or cuts this large anyway).

It's the Nassau County excecutives you should be angry with, not us.

Absolutely correct. It really is disturbing how one man can cause all these problems. I thought there were checks and balances in govt. But I guess they dont exist in Nassau County.:P

Absolutely correct. It really is disturbing how one man can cause all these problems. I thought there were checks and balances in govt. But I guess they dont exist in Nassau County.;)

The problem is that most residents don't realize the importance of a well-funded transit system, so they'll support him because it'll supposedly save them tax dollars (that'll probably get squandered on useless stuff anyway).

I mean, just because they don't use it specifically doesn't mean they don't benefit from it. While it's not going to have a massive effect on congestion, it'll impact them in other ways (when their kids get to college, they'll have a harder time getting there, and there might be a labor shortage in some stores because people have a hard time getting there, etc).

I mean, cutting a route like the N73/N74 doesn't have a huge impact, but when you're cutting into the N4 and Hempstead Turnpike routes, it starts getting serious.

The problem is that most residents don't realize the importance of a well-funded transit system, so they'll support him because it'll supposedly save them tax dollars (that'll probably get squandered on useless stuff anyway).

I mean, just because they don't use it specifically doesn't mean they don't benefit from it. While it's not going to have a massive effect on congestion, it'll impact them in other ways (when their kids get to college, they'll have a harder time getting there, and there might be a labor shortage in some stores because people have a hard time getting there, etc).

I mean, cutting a route like the N73/N74 doesn't have a huge impact, but when you're cutting into the N4 and Hempstead Turnpike routes, it starts getting serious.

Yeah, right... For the most part, those folks are not putting their kids on public transit... ;)

Long Island is even more car centric than Staten Island and these kids don't have to worry... Mommy and daddy will get them a car at 16 so that they can drive back and forth to college. I can tell that they also view public transit as something of a demotion if you will in terms of class and wealth, so why would they want to invest in something that they despise aside from the LIRR? I mean really, it is well known that unless folks are using the express buses, the commuter trains or traveling around in the city, folks don't use the local buses and if they do, they tend to be generally poor. In the city it is cool to use public transit because it is the easiest way to get around, but not so in more suburban areas. Of course there is the rush hour crowd that uses them, but we're talking about folks that are truly dependent upon them to get around because they can't afford things like car service or a car.

Veolia should not cut the N20, N4, or N6 in my opinion. Every single bus I see on those routes always has loaded seats.

And the N6 running late came in handy for me once. I had a party that ended at around 12:30am, and the place was on Hempstead Tpke, so I took the N6 at like 1 in the morning to the Q27. It saved my ass coming home. And the bus at that time of day was getting as many riders as you see on the N27 during the day (not rush hour). I was surprised so many people feel safe riding the bus at that time!

Yeah, right... For the most part, those folks are not putting their kids on public transit... ;)

Long Island is even more car centric than Staten Island and these kids don't have to worry... Mommy and daddy will get them a car at 16 so that they can drive back and forth to college. I can tell that they also view public transit as something of a demotion if you will in terms of class and wealth, so why would they want to invest in something that they despise aside from the LIRR? I mean really, it is well known that unless folks are using the express buses, the commuter trains or traveling around in the city, folks don't use the local buses and if they do, they tend to be generally poor. In the city it is cool to use public transit because it is the easiest way to get around, but not so in more suburban areas. Of course there is the rush hour crowd that uses them, but we're talking about folks that are truly dependent upon them to get around because they can't afford things like car service or a car.

So what do you want the kids and people who can't get cars to do, move out?

Well, according to everybody else, there are a reasonable amount of students waiting at NCC, and I'm sure you have some LI residents waiting at the colleges along the N20 route, as well as Hofstra and whatever other colleges are out there.

Overall, yes it's more car-centric than SI, but when you consider only the areas with bus service, it isn't that much more car-centric than SI. Overall, the cost per passenger is similar to SI (around $2.50 per passenger)

I mean, in a sense, college students are fairly poor. They don't have many expenses, but they don't have any job that's sufficient to pay for a car. Maybe their parents gave them a car, but in the areas with bus service, I don't think it's as commonplace as you think it is.

Well, according to everybody else, there are a reasonable amount of students waiting at NCC, and I'm sure you have some LI residents waiting at the colleges along the N20 route, as well as Hofstra and whatever other colleges are out there.

Overall, yes it's more car-centric than SI, but when you consider only the areas with bus service, it isn't that much more car-centric than SI. Overall, the cost per passenger is similar to SI (around $2.50 per passenger)

I mean, in a sense, college students are fairly poor. They don't have many expenses, but they don't have any job that's sufficient to pay for a car. Maybe their parents gave them a car, but in the areas with bus service, I don't think it's as commonplace as you think it is.

I'm talking about mentality wise, not in terms of how many folks drive or take public transportation. I get the sense that Long Island has a stigma with using public transportation just like Staten Island does, especially if it isn't the LIRR. I had an ex-coworker who lived in Huntington and I can't see her ever being caught dead using the local bus. She was quite snobby to say the least, though she considered herself just to be an average "prima donna". LOL She would drive to and from the LIRR to get here. As for those college students, believe me, if mommy and daddy can afford it, they are driving to and from college. The less affluent college students (by way of mommy and daddy of course) will of course be using public transportation because they have no choice but to use it.

I mean let's face it. We're talking about a suburban area that is not part of New York City and Long Islanders have generally been snobbish when comparing themselves to New York City folks because the thinking is that they tend to be better off financially than most folks in the city, so this whole notion of there being so many folks in need of bus service I really don't buy. Sure there are some, but those aren't the majority of the folks backing Mangano and that's the point. The folks who need it are a minority both financially and in size and that's why these services will be reduced. If folks really needed the service in terms of a majority of them, you would see far more of an outcry. It's the same thing on Staten Island. The politicians say we need more "bus service", but believe me they're really referring to express bus service to get to and from the city because the thinking is that the average middle class person will be driving around Staten Island. This is no different here. Same mentality.

So what do you want the kids and people who can't get cars to do, move out?

Hey listen, anytime anyone complains about public transportation in the outerboroughs, we are told to MOVE, or better yet, MOVE to the city and we're in the five boroughs where there should be adequate transportation, or get a car. ;) You guys are even further out than us here on Staten Island. At least on Staten Island, we are a part of NYC, but you guys are out on Long Island, so I say yeah, move to the city if you want better transit. I mean the transportation users on Long Island are a minority and let's face it, Long Island was not meant to be this transportation center and you know why too. There are too many snobs out there for it to ever be transit centric and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The LIRR is okay but the local bus... LOL Same thing on Staten Island. That's just the way it is and changing the mentality out there is just not happening. I mean I don't see anybody ditching their fancy BMW for a local bus on Long Island. LOL

I mean quite frankly I think the transportation should be there but the funding simply isn't and when you combine that with the mentality out there, you get what is happening now. Me personally, I would NOT live on Long Island unless I was somewhere close to LIRR or one of the areas that are being developed that are in walking distance to the LIRR for the young folks who want to live out in the suburbs, but don't want to drive.

I'm talking about mentality wise, not in terms of how many folks drive or take public transportation. I get the sense that Long Island has a stigma with using public transportation just like Staten Island does, especially if it isn't the LIRR. I had an ex-coworker who lived in Huntington and I can't see her ever being caught dead using the local bus. She was quite snobby to say the least, though she considered herself just to be an average "prima donna". LOL She would drive to and from the LIRR to get here. As for those college students, believe me, if mommy and daddy can afford it, they are driving to and from college. The less affluent college students (by way of mommy and daddy of course) will of course be using public transportation because they have no choice but to use it.

Yes, there is a stigma, but so what? If the service is used, then why not keep it?

And as far as college students go, NCC is a community college, so you're not going to get all the "prima donnas" driving cars there.

I mean let's face it. We're talking about a suburban area that is not part of New York City and Long Islanders have generally been snobbish when comparing themselves to New York City folks because the thinking is that they tend to be better off financially than most folks in the city, so this whole notion of there being so many folks in need of bus service I really don't buy. Sure there are some, but those aren't the majority of the folks backing Mangano and that's the point. The folks who need it are a minority both financially and in size and that's why these services will be reduced. If folks really needed the service in terms of a majority of them, you would see far more of an outcry. It's the same thing on Staten Island. The politicians say we need more "bus service", but believe me they're really referring to express bus service to get to and from the city because the thinking is that the average middle class person will be driving around Staten Island. This is no different here. Same mentality.

Well, even though I disagree with all your comments about the North Shore of SI, I'm going to use them as an example. Just like the North Shore has parts where there's more local bus usage, so does SI. Just to give you an idea, here's a Google Map image of a part of Hempstead: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=15+Bedell+Street,+Hempstead,+NY&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=655l7238l0l7925l31l24l0l0l0l0l312l4791l1.10.12.1l24l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=619&wrapid=tlif131680426741510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Now you tell me if you think the people living in that area are snobby enough to want to avoid "the bus".

And the numbers speak for themselves: Overall Nassau has similar ridership and cost (per route) as SI. I don't see how it shouldn't get a decent amount of service just because it's not part of NYC.

You may say "Oh, well they shouldn't move to the suburbs then", but most of the areas with bus service are urban to at least an extent. That block on the Google Maps image has rowhouses, and there are a bunch of apartment buildings (some of them are projects like in NYC) around the corner.

Hey listen, anytime anyone complains about public transportation in the outerboroughs, we are told to MOVE, or better yet, MOVE to the city and we're in the five boroughs where there should be adequate transportation, or get a car. ;) You guys are even further out than us here on Staten Island. At least on Staten Island, we are a part of NYC, but you guys are out on Long Island, so I say yeah, move to the city if you want better transit. I mean the transportation users on Long Island are a minority and let's face it, Long Island was not meant to be this transportation center and you know why too. There are too many snobs out there for it to ever be transit centric and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The LIRR is okay but the local bus... LOL Same thing on Staten Island. That's just the way it is and changing the mentality out there is just not happening. I mean I don't see anybody ditching their fancy BMW for a local bus on Long Island. LOL

I mean quite frankly I think the transportation should be there but the funding simply isn't and when you combine that with the mentality out there, you get what is happening now. Me personally, I would NOT live on Long Island unless I was somewhere close to LIRR or one of the areas that are being developed that are in walking distance to the LIRR for the young folks who want to live out in the suburbs, but don't want to drive.

A handful of people say SIers should move and you use that to say that Nassau shouldn't have bus service either? Wow.

Like I said, the mentality in a lot of the areas with bus service isn't anti-transit or anything. Just because the county overall is suburban doesn't mean that there aren't urban areas there.

Yes, there is a stigma, but so what? If the service is used, then why not keep it?

And as far as college students go, NCC is a community college, so you're not going to get all the "prima donnas" driving cars there.

What do you mean so what? The stigma is the exact reason why service will be cut. You cannot expect people to pay for something when most of them could give two sh*ts if it was around anyway since they don't use them. I find it interesting how you're go gung ho about Long Island keeping their bus service which they can't afford and having taxpayers foot the bill, but you advocate for cutting bus service on Staten Island using the same notion that folks can't afford to pay for it. What's worse about Long Island they've been mooching off of New York taxpayers for years now because they couldn't afford their own bus service, depriving us of better express bus service on Staten Island and the (MTA) has used the Verrazano for years to supplement their service. :tdown: :tdown: They can run empty buses on Long Island and have taxpayers foot the bill, but we can't have empty buses running in the boroughs though right?? ;)

Well, even though I disagree with all your comments about the North Shore of SI, I'm going to use them as an example. Just like the North Shore has parts where there's more local bus usage, so does SI. Just to give you an idea, here's a Google Map image of a part of Hempstead: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=15+Bedell+Street,+Hempstead,+NY&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=655l7238l0l7925l31l24l0l0l0l0l312l4791l1.10.12.1l24l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=619&wrapid=tlif131680426741510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Now you tell me if you think the people living in that area are snobby enough to want to avoid "the bus".

And the numbers speak for themselves: Overall Nassau has similar ridership and cost (per route) as SI. I don't see how it shouldn't get a decent amount of service just because it's not part of NYC.

Oh please... You yourself said that many of the buses are empty on Long Island, so spare me. If the taxpayers can't afford it then it has to go. Where do you propose that they get the money from?? That's the question that everyone refuses to answer. The good news is that we don't have to supplement their service anymore. That money can come back to us to give us better express bus service on Staten Island and perhaps create an opportunity for that S83 and that you've been wanting. ;)

You may say "Oh, well they shouldn't move to the suburbs then", but most of the areas with bus service are urban to at least an extent. That block on the Google Maps image has rowhouses, and there are a bunch of apartment buildings (some of them are projects like in NYC) around the corner.

A handful of people say SIers should move and you use that to say that Nassau shouldn't have bus service either? Wow.

Not just a handful of people... You yourself have even said it, and now suddenly you care so much about folks in the suburbs?? Really?? :confused:

Like I said, the mentality in a lot of the areas with bus service isn't anti-transit or anything. Just because the county overall is suburban doesn't mean that there aren't urban areas there.

Really?? Actions speak louder than words. If folks really cared about transit out there, then Mangano wouldn't have been able to do what he did without some sort of uproar and he has been moving quite easily in making this change, so clearly the majority out there could care less so long as their taxes don't go up.

Just to give you an idea, here's a Google Map image of a part of Hempstead:

**map link**

lol... What's funny is, I could pick any block in Hempstead & come to that same conclusion... and I got more news for you too.... Hempstead transit center itself isn't too safe to hang around at....

Hempstead, Uniondale.... that segment of the county isn't to be desired anyway....

Veolia should not cut the N20, N4, or N6 in my opinion. Every single bus I see on those routes always has loaded seats.

And the N6 running late came in handy for me once. I had a party that ended at around 12:30am, and the place was on Hempstead Tpke, so I took the N6 at like 1 in the morning to the Q27. It saved my ass coming home. And the bus at that time of day was getting as many riders as you see on the N27 during the day (not rush hour). I was surprised so many people feel safe riding the bus at that time!

those riders.... hah, feelin safe on the bus is the last thing on their mind

(I get what you're sayin, though)...

10 bucks says there were riders on that N6 you took, that were headin to (SE) Queens TO party.... and there you were comin back from one.....

lol... What's funny is, I could pick any block in Hempstead & come to that same conclusion... and I got more news for you too.... Hempstead transit center itself isn't too safe to hang around at....

Hempstead, Uniondale.... that segment of the county isn't to be desired anyway....

lol... If I'm going to move that far out, then it sure as hell had better be worth it.

but you advocate for cutting bus service on Staten Island using the same notion that folks can't afford to pay for it. What's worse about Long Island they've been mooching off of New York taxpayers for years now because they couldn't afford their own bus service, derpriving us of better express bus service on Staten Island

No.

but you advocate for cutting bus service on Staten Island using the same notion that folks can't afford to pay for it. What's worse about Long Island they've been mooching off of New York taxpayers for years now because they couldn't afford their own bus service, derpriving us of better express bus service on Staten Island

No.

The N6 and N4 make money they will NEVER cut into those routes EVER

1) What do you mean so what? The stigma is the exact reason why service will be cut. You cannot expect people to pay for something when most of them could give two sh*ts if it was around anyway since they don't use them. I find it interesting how you're go gung ho about Long Island keeping their bus service which they can't afford and having taxpayers foot the bill, but you advocate for cutting bus service on Staten Island using the same notion that folks can't afford to pay for it. What's worse about Long Island they've been mooching off of New York taxpayers for years now because they couldn't afford their own bus service, depriving us of better express bus service on Staten Island and the (MTA) has used the Verrazano for years to supplement their service. :tdown: :tdown: They can run empty buses on Long Island and have taxpayers foot the bill, but we can't have empty buses running in the boroughs though right?? ;)

2) Oh please... You yourself said that many of the buses are empty on Long Island, so spare me. If the taxpayers can't afford it then it has to go. Where do you propose that they get the money from?? That's the question that everyone refuses to answer. The good news is that we don't have to supplement their service anymore. That money can come back to us to give us better express bus service on Staten Island and perhaps create an opportunity for that S83 and that you've been wanting. ;)

3) Not just a handful of people... You yourself have even said it, and now suddenly you care so much about folks in the suburbs?? Really?? :confused:

4) Really?? Actions speak louder than words. If folks really cared about transit out there, then Mangano wouldn't have been able to do what he did without some sort of uproar and he has been moving quite easily in making this change, so clearly the majority out there could care less so long as their taxes don't go up.

1) So let's get rid of every single local bus on SI, because they have a stigma attached to them and half of SI residents have probably never set foot on them.

And I wouldn't support cuts that extreme in SI either. Even though the S54/S55/S56 run empty, I wouldn't advocate for their elimination. A headway reduction yes, but not outright elimination.

Yeah, if they could reduce service so there are more standees on some routes that currently run with seated loads, I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't advocate reducing service to the point where you simply can't get on. I mean, to give you an idea, Hempstead Turnpike is sort of like Richmond Avenue. Aside from the fact that I live near there, do you think I would support having 40 minute service along Richmond Avenue? Yeah, I'd like to see some reductions, but at 40 minute headways, people would be flagged like crazy.

Yeah, obviously I don't think NYC should be subsidizing them, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be subsidized.

2) I never said they're empty. I said they're not crushloaded. There's a difference, and like I said, if a bus can get decent ridership, then keep it.

See my S55/S56 analogy as far as empty buses are concerned. I wouldn't want them to have a ridiculous amount of service, but basic coverage should be provided.

And don't forget the S93 extension. ;)

3) See #2.

4) Well, many have similar opinions as you: Many in the more suburban areas see areas like Hempstead as drains on the county and could care less about what happens to them. As far as people within Hempstead, and areas like that, part of the problem is that the people who are most affected by the cuts usually don't speak up.

Well, I actually got that from city-data, and I zoomed around the neighborhood, and it turned it that it was the worst looking part of Hempstead. The other parts had run-down apartment buildings, or they looked like some parts of the North Shore here on SI (the housing stock was similar), but that was the only block where half the houses were boarded up like that.

But yeah, most of Hempstead looks pretty run-down.

The N6 and N4 make money they will NEVER cut into those routes EVER

The only routes that make money are the N40/N41. The N4 and N6 have high ridership and are often crowded, but they don't make money.

Archived