Veolia Gearing Up to Slash LI Bus Service Next Year

mark1447

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PPL use LIRR within nassau and suffolk ALOT!!!!!! sometimes to connect to LIB or SCT bus rtes HOWEVER the buses in LI in MOST cases DO NOT duplicate the LIRR and as a result ppl do not use LIRR to avoid buses they use LIRR to reach places that a bus doesn't reach directly alone. In rage cases ppl who are very familiar with the bus rtes use LIRR to cut travel time so they can get a bus that is more direct to their destination.

Where have you been? The LIRR IS used by ppl. to avoid the bus.... You don't see how many ppl. hitch rides after they get off at a particular station..... They take the RR to a particular station, call they homeboy up & have him pick him up @ that station....

The RR to the bus (in general) in Nassau county isn't near as common a commuting option as you tend to think it is.... You're more prone to comin upon someone considering the 2 bus commute in suffolk, moreso than you would in Nassau.... even Pinepower will tell you that....

The folks that are even using buses, use them b/c they don't take you where trains go...

You got it all backwards....

:P

Where have you been? The LIRR IS used by ppl. to avoid the bus.... You don't see how many ppl. hitch rides after they get off at a particular station..... They take the RR to a particular station, call they homeboy up & have him pick him up @ that station....

The RR to the bus (in general) in Nassau county isn't near as common a commuting option as you tend to think it is.... You're more prone to comin upon someone considering the 2 bus commute in suffolk, moreso than you would in Nassau.... even Pinepower will tell you that....

The folks that are even using buses, use them b/c they don't take you where trains go...

you misread my post I said SOME ppl meaning very few ppl use it. LIRR and bus don't do the same thing as the bus is north south and LIRR is east-west

However in the case of N27 yes ppl use LIRR to avoid the bus. I never said LIRR to bus was very common. There are no direct duplicates of buses to LIRR. Heck if anything north-south buses need to better match rush hr LIRR

you misread my post I said SOME ppl meaning very few ppl use it. LIRR and bus don't do the same thing as the bus is north south and LIRR is east-west

However in the case of N27 yes ppl use LIRR to avoid the bus. I never said LIRR to bus was very common. There are no direct duplicates of buses to LIRR. Heck if anything north-south buses need to better match rush hr LIRR

I didn't misread anything...

For you to sit there & actually say (and believe):

"ppl do not use LIRR to avoid buses they use LIRR to reach places that a bus doesn't reach directly alone."

...is what I'm callin you out on.... that in itself sounds foolish...

Furthermore, implying that there are more north-south routes than east-west routes disproves nothin.... the buses don't have to exactly duplicate the RR as a reason for folks in Nassau considering using the trains over the buses for intra-island travel.....

I didn't misread anything...

For you to sit there & actually say (and believe):

"ppl do not use LIRR to avoid buses they use LIRR to reach places that a bus doesn't reach directly alone."

...is what I'm callin you out on.... that in itself sounds foolish...

Furthermore, implying that there are more north-south routes than east-west routes disproves nothin.... the buses don't have to exactly duplicate the RR as a reason for folks in Nassau considering using the trains over the buses for intra-island travel.....

so what your getting worked up over nothing

ridership is just a small taste of it the goal is to keep buses on busy routes as often as possible without cutting out areas and preventing cuts

It could still be busy if it went to St. George. I could picture it seeing decent ridership.

I mean think about it, the people on the hill in St. George only have one bus that goes anywhere besides the ferry (the S52), and considering its headways, it's hard to make a transfer. If you could get them to places further west through a more direct route, that would be beneficial.

PPL use LIRR within nassau and suffolk ALOT!!!!!! sometimes to connect to LIB or SCT bus rtes HOWEVER the buses in LI in MOST cases DO NOT duplicate the LIRR and as a result ppl do not use LIRR to avoid buses they use LIRR to reach places that a bus doesn't reach directly alone. In rage cases ppl who are very familiar with the bus rtes use LIRR to cut travel time so they can get a bus that is more direct to their destination.

@pine power you need to really know the structure of LIB to realize how useless it really is and difficult and indirect the lines are. As a result many MIDDLE-CLASS and even poor folk NOT just the rich CAN'T conveniently use the bus system. Many don't know how to use transit in LI and use the wrong combination of buses and end up hating the LIB when really they are at fault for using the wrong lines. From city-data a sorry sap used N19 to N40 to reach roosevelt field from massepequa!!!!!!!!!!! He was DOING IT WAY WRONG!!!! The fastest way was actually N55/54 to N43/45 since the N55's path was more direct. Had that person known that he wouldn't have been burned with the slow bus and his viewpoint would have been different.

Pretty much every LIRR line has a bus paralleling it (for most of the route at least). The only one that doesn't would really be the Hempstead Branch and possibly the Port Washington Branch (The N20/N21->N23 doesn't work to reach Plandome, and it's slower than the LIRR if you want to reach Port Washington)

Now, I'm not suggesting the bus is a feasable alternative (it's possible, but it'll take longer), which is why a lot of intra-Island riders use the LIRR. Even Amtrak mentioned it once, and Pinepower has a video of him using the LIRR to avoid the N27 (I still don't think that bus was crushloaded, but I digress)

You're right, many will take a taxi before taking the bus, even if taking a bus doesn't take much longer or is that much further away. At most LIRR stations after a train pulls out the cab drivers start yelling "taxi cab" at everyone getting off the train.

I'd love to see more LIRR riders use the bus, but in order for that to happen service needs to be better timed to meet trains.

And yes I see more folks coming off LIRR and onto Suffolk Transit at Ronkonkoma than anywhere in Nassau.

Yes the N27 has lost Jamaica riders to the LIRR. There used to be a crowd of office workers and health aides that used to take the N27 and N22A combination between Jamaica and Roslyn Station area. But for some reason they have more or less switched to the LIRR. It's faster and more comfortable, and doesn't cost that much more than the bus. Having taken that train several times myself I see the faces I used to see on the bus.

so what your getting worked up over nothing

Don't gimme that weak bullshit....

So now Mr. know it all can't back up his own damn statement....

Sit down & take the L, kid....

Now, I'm not suggesting the bus is a feasable alternative (it's possible, but it'll take longer), which is why a lot of intra-Island riders use the LIRR. Even Amtrak mentioned it once, and Pinepower has a video of him using the LIRR to avoid the N27 (I still don't think that bus was crushloaded, but I digress)

smh lol @ this kid QJT talkin bout ppl. take the LIRR for intra-island travel b/c it takes you where buses doesn't.... that's not a reason at all.....

Anyway, yeh, there are numerous instances where ppl. take the LIRR over LIB b/c they want to avoid LIB.... dude says & believes what he wants b/c he likes to hear himself talk....

as for pinepower... I don't remember him on an oyster bay branch train to avoid the N27 (I wouldn't doubt it though), but he has a couple videos where he's gotten fed up w/ waiting for the N22 @ Hicksville - Only to end up taking the LIRR to Westbury, and walkin it out from there....

He represents the vast minority (in that particular case) that would even wait for the N22.... Why, b/c the majority's first option would be to take the LIRR.....

now if it's someone seeking RFM, then you'll have a tendency to notice more ppl taking 22's (over 78's & 79's)....

See, here in the city, you'll get ppl. that'll be more open to taking the bus (like, for example, the M101/2/3 along Lex) over takin the subway..... Nassau county, nope.... It's like, they'll even wait longer for the RR, over opting to take the bus.....

Don't gimme that weak bullshit....

So now Mr. know it all can't back up his own damn statement....

Sit down & take the L, kid....

smh lol @ this kid QJT talkin bout ppl. take the LIRR for intra-island travel b/c it takes you where buses doesn't.... that's not a reason at all.....

Anyway, yeh, there are numerous instances where ppl. take the LIRR over LIB b/c they want to avoid LIB.... dude says & believes what he wants b/c he likes to hear himself talk....

as for pinepower... I don't remember him on an oyster bay branch train to avoid the N27 (I wouldn't doubt it though), but he has a couple videos where he's gotten fed up w/ waiting for the N22 @ Hicksville - Only to end up taking the LIRR to Westbury, and walkin it out from there....

He represents the vast minority (in that particular case) that would even wait for the N22.... Why, b/c the majority's first option would be to take the LIRR.....

now if it's someone seeking RFM, then you'll have a tendency to notice more ppl taking 22's (over 78's & 79's)....

See, here in the city, you'll get ppl. that'll be more open to taking the bus (like, for example, the M101/2/3 along Lex) over takin the subway..... Nassau county, nope.... It's like, they'll even wait longer for the RR, over opting to take the bus.....

What I meant to say was cause buses alone were SLOWER that was what I really meant. LIRR is just the first choice due to speed. What I meant was buses are better for north-south travel south of mineola and hicksville. NOT disagreeing with you at all. If LIRR goes to my destination I will definately NOT use the bus. I usually use the LIRR to the bus or walk if it's schedule sucks. Mostly to SCT more than LIB not refuting that. Again pinepower good point. I guess I will finish my LIB proposal as my first draft was too flawed with mergers LI won't work with mergers except in suffolk with highway based lines on LIE and sunrise hwy.

Here's the video: http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/499687/FAIL_N27_never_shows_at_rush_h#Post499687

And yeah, here, frequency (or availability or whatever you call it when a bus happens to show up as you're coming to the stop) can influence people to take a bus over a train.

Here's the video: http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php/topics/499687/FAIL_N27_never_shows_at_rush_h#Post499687

And yeah, here, frequency (or availability or whatever you call it when a bus happens to show up as you're coming to the stop) can influence people to take a bus over a train.

great more pine rants at least they influence what can be done

Yes the N27 has lost Jamaica riders to the LIRR. There used to be a crowd of office workers and health aides that used to take the N27 and N22A combination between Jamaica and Roslyn Station area. But for some reason they have more or less switched to the LIRR. It's faster and more comfortable, and doesn't cost that much more than the bus. Having taken that train several times myself I see the faces I used to see on the bus.

Is that a problem? Are they somehow "riding incorrectly" because they're on a train rather than two buses?

Is that a problem? Are they somehow "riding incorrectly" because they're on a train rather than two buses?

He's talking about what it signifies: The fact that people used to be willing to take 2 buses means that the quality of service has deteriorated, and now they're paying twice as much for the train.

lol @ RD tryna make a futile attempt at a resurrection....

anyway, thanks for the link/clip.....

He's talking about what it signifies: The fact that people used to be willing to take 2 buses means that the quality of service has deteriorated, and now they're paying twice as much for the train.

Checkmate, Gotham thrives on postin sarcastic shit... he's notorious for it... take it with a grain of salt.

He knows what Pinepower was gettin at...

Ok what does this have to do with anything

Just in case.... someone might want to read up on what Veolia is all about....

Since they're set to take over Long Island bus in the near future....

You don't see the relevancy in that.....

Checkmate, Gotham thrives on postin sarcastic shit... he's notorious for it... take it with a grain of salt.

He knows what Pinepower was gettin at...

True, but you never know: Some people could be lurking on this forum and take that comment seriously. :)

NOPE actually it's quite the opposite. Riding 2 buses to do what a train does faster is incorrect riding. So being on a train to cut travel time is the best way to maximise transit in LI. I do it all the time.

It's incorrect riding, but it's still cheaper.

True, but you never know: Some people could be lurking on this forum and take that comment seriously. :)

It's incorrect riding, but it's still cheaper.

True BUT MOST LI FOLK WILL NOT GO FOR SLOWER CAUSE IT'S CHEAPER!!!!!!

Hence why LIRR dominates intra island travel the only way for bus ridership to increase would be to reconfigure several lines to match up with the LIRR.

BL rtes that link metro-north are CRUSHLOADED

When I checked subchat, I found this Newsday article.

New Long Island Bus Operators Hired Union Members

Current Long Island Bus employees will be the first hired when a private operator takes over the surface transportation system that carries 100,000 riders daily, union leaders and company officials said.

The agreement honors seniority provisions in the contracts that the union negotiated with Nassau County. It also acknowledges Transport Workers Union Local 252 as the representative for the workers. It also gives preferential hiring rights to TWU members who submit a job application by Oct. 11. The deadline is an extension from the Sept. 30 date previously set by Veolia.

Union leaders argued that bargaining rights, jobs, pay and pensions were protected by agreements signed with Nassau officials.

The agreement to honor union members over any new prospective employees comes before the workers and the employer reach a collective-bargaining agreement.

Officials at Veolia Transportation, the firm selected by Nassau County to run Long Island Bus at the start of next year -- when the Metropolitan Transportation Authority pulls out -- called the talks that led to the preferential hiring pact a "positive and productive start to negotiating new labor contracts."

Pat Bowden, president of TWU Local 252, which has nearly 1,000 members, said: "This is a huge victory for union solidarity and workers standing together."

Bowden said the union took exception to Veolia's requirement that its members apply individually for the jobs they now have.

"We said, 'Actually, we're in this together, and we're going to apply together -- as a union,'" he said in a statement.

"Veolia has traditionally recognized the seniority of the previous employer and has agreed to do so in Nassau County," the company said in a statement. "Veolia respects and recognizes the excellent work of union members and believes they are integral to ensuring that we provide the best service possible for Nassau County."

Veolia and union officials are set to begin collective-bargaining talks on Oct. 27 and 28.

It will be more happy victory celebration if Veolia gets permit to use MTA Farebox to accept all kinds of MetroCard.

Archived