What Long Island Bus service may look like next year

PinePower

N20/N21:

Run more to Hicksvilles.

N21 discontinue and replaces N20 short trip at Great Neck at Roslyn-Mineola.

For Glen Clove portion, City of Glen Clove could provide commuter or loop bus to serve Northern Blvd for N20 connection.

N33: City of Long Beach will take over.

N67/N58:

Maybe City of Great Neck could provide shuttle bus.

N88: Maybe Jones Beach could take over. With cooperation from LIRR and taxi, taxi company listed at Freeport Station should be part of package deal to include taxi fare.

Maybe college could take over N51 bus operation or operate Hofras University Shuttle along N51 via Nassau Community College, Roosevelt Field Mall, Mineola.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have taken N72 many times and N72 does not need to rerouted to SUNY Farmingdale. There`s lots of Suffolk County buses meeting N70/N71/N72 meeting in Suffolk County. Propertly LIB will still give transfer to connecting SCT.

N72 wouldn`t need to go to SUNY Farmingdale because connecting SCT takes them to it.Some riders will not happy with that your proposal.

Most county folks are frustrated with Veolia`s take over.

I think your proposal plan will cause confusion to many LIB riders because most bus riders don`t look at bus schedules.

They`ll be angry if their routes went on different route.

I remember I took N15 after the route change in Garden City, one of N15 riders were not happy that other section of N15 was Saturday only.

err it's called GET USED TO IT. Those changes are meant to increase ridership and attract mainstream riders with N46 sacrificing 4 riders to gain 20 more would be smart and it would help with NCC crowds turning a useless rte into a useful one. Once the new map is made ppl will have to get used to sharing with white ppl. Besides when I mentioned my plan to mta I recieved mostly applause. some ppl angry means nothing cause LIB will DIE IF IT CONTINUES TO ONLY CATER TO 10 % OF PPL!!!!!!!!!!! Some effort must be made to even out the service Plus only the N46,N50,N16 will get reroutes the other rtes just get extended to cover former segments like N25 or extended to revive like N74/73 which means interlining increase. N80 replacing N20 short turns turning into an express variant of the N20 that hits the LIE non stop to northern blvd via little neck or great neck via roslyn estates but LTD stop due to N58 extension to enhance that part reducing need for N20 short turns.

Read before you speak did I say SUNY????? NO I DID NOT I SAID LIRR farmingdale LIRR and SUNY farmingdale are 2 completely different things I said timed with LIRR to reach babylon directly in long term there needs to be a rail link doing that.

err it's called GET USED TO IT. Those changes are meant to increase ridership and attract mainstream riders with N46 sacrificing 4 riders to gain 20 more would be smart and it would help with NCC crowds turning a useless rte into a useful one. Once the new map is made ppl will have to get used to sharing with white ppl. Besides when I mentioned my plan to mta I recieved mostly applause. some ppl angry means nothing cause LIB will DIE IF IT CONTINUES TO ONLY CATER TO 10 % OF PPL!!!!!!!!!!! Some effort must be made to even out the service Plus only the N46,N50,N16 will get reroutes the other rtes just get extended to cover former segments like N25 or extended to revive like N74/73 which means interlining increase. N80 replacing N20 short turns turning into an express variant of the N20 that hits the LIE non stop to northern blvd via little neck or great neck via roslyn estates but LTD stop due to N58 extension to enhance that part reducing need for N20 short turns.

Well, you have to consider that 90% of the people there don't know anything about the ridership of the routes. All they know is that they want their bus to stay around. They'd probably applaud anybody who suggests ways to keep their routes around.

And FamousNYLover, do you have a map of the Glen Cove bus? (Or are you suggesting it in case they lose the N21/N27)

Well, you have to consider that 90% of the people there don't know anything about the ridership of the routes. All they know is that they want their bus to stay around. They'd probably applaud anybody who suggests ways to keep their routes around.

And FamousNYLover, do you have a map of the Glen Cove bus? (Or are you suggesting it in case they lose the N21/N27)

true and my proposal keeps their rtes around just with more ppl thats all the N74/73 idea was meant to increase interlining with BUSY routes like N15 so buses are constantly getting full. N80 is shifting resources from N20 to keep N80 BUT in a different form turning it into an express rte with fewer stops N20 ppl now gain faster options especially at rush hr when N80 will be timed with Peak trains for manhattan bound ppl but for flushing and northern blvd N80 will feed off of LIRR and gain it's own ppl. eliminating wasteful short turns no one used. N81 is to turn it into a crosstown so ppl won't be fazed by N20 a bit. N81 will meet LIRR trains at syosset and bethpage en rte to northern blvd then glen cove links with N58 and new N34 but N81 may lose weekend service but N80 X trips will split with N81 on saturday.

N46 is useless it has to ditch hempstead and become useful help NCC crowds and go to where ppl are going more bellmore ppl are heading to nassau hub than hempstead with the N7-72 frequencies there is no excuse

N20/N21:

Run more to Hicksvilles.

N21 discontinue and replaces N20 short trip at Great Neck at Roslyn-Mineola.

For Glen Clove portion, City of Glen Clove could provide commuter or loop bus to serve Northern Blvd for N20 connection.

N33: City of Long Beach will take over.

N67/N58:

Maybe City of Great Neck could provide shuttle bus.

N88: Maybe Jones Beach could take over. With cooperation from LIRR and taxi, taxi company listed at Freeport Station should be part of package deal to include taxi fare.

Maybe college could take over N51 bus operation or operate Hofras University Shuttle along N51 via Nassau Community College, Roosevelt Field Mall, Mineola.

orr those cities can simply subsidise N33,N58,N21 and N51 DONE

I made one for him a while back. It's probably littered with errors.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212833453674264033384.0004a9b66d6f2acddcd7c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.862226,-73.630267&spn=0.024164,0.046134&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212833453674264033384.0004a9b66d6f2acddcd7c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.862226,-73.630267&spn=0.024164,0.046134&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Glen Cove Bus</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

I made one for him a while back. It's probably littered with errors.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212833453674264033384.0004a9b66d6f2acddcd7c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.862226,-73.630267&spn=0.024164,0.046134&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=212833453674264033384.0004a9b66d6f2acddcd7c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.862226,-73.630267&spn=0.024164,0.046134&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Glen Cove Bus</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

town shuttles are so stupid on long island

I've always thought the N21 should go down Forest Ave to Locust Valley LIRR.

There's 2 major shopping centers and a hospital near there, which could bring new riders to the 21.

Makes sense. I've always thought the same way. The street grid looks like it could support bus service (grid-like instead of cul-de-sacs).

Amtrak, could you list the turns that the 2 routes make? I can't follow that map.

I'll comment on your post.

Here is what I think Long Island Bus will look like in 2013:

Part 1

Note:Non-rush also applies as the frequency the route will run on weekends if it has weekend service.

N1-Frequency:every 45 min

Route changes: No rush hour service to Jamacia.

N2-Shut down

N8-Frequency:Every 90 min.

Route changes:Follows N2 routing south of Dutch Broadway and Flectcher Ave.

I seriously do think there will be no (nassau) route that serves Green Acres (or LIRR Valley Stream) when it's all said & done....

the area binding hempstead tpke, franklin av, merrick rd, and the queens border, will be left with nothing....

N15-Frequency: 30 min. non-rush, 15 rush.

Route changes: Route uses Washington Ave. between 11th st. and Old Country Road all the time.

N16-Frequency: Every 15 minutes between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead, every 90 minutes between Hempstead and Rockville Centre.

Route Changes: No service beyond Rockville Centre train sation.

You may be right w/ the N16 turning into a glorified shuttle b/w Hempstead & RFM (via current routing).....

the 90 min thing though, I don't think they'll bother with.... I think they'll just move the 15 down S. Franklin st & hempstead av.... kill 2 birds w/ one stone.... the 15 becomes more direct b/w Hempstead & RVC.... a slight ridership boost may actually result from it (accidentally)....

N19-Frequency:Every 45 minutes non-rush, every 30 minutes rush.

Route changes:None

N20/N21-Frequency:30 minutes between Flushing and Roslyn, 45 min. between Roslyn and Glen Cove and 90 min. between Roslyn and CW Post.

Route changes: N20 terminates at CW Post and no service along Middle Neck Road.

I don't understand... you think they'll keep all N19 service running to Babylon, but cut all N20 service to Hicksville ?

Well anyway, I could see them breaking up N20 service something similar to that...

N25-Frequency: 60 min. non-rush, 30 min. rush.

Route changes:No weekend service, service between New Hyde Park Road/ Marcus Ave. and Union Tpke/New Hyde Park Rd. is rerouted on New Hyde Park Road.

N27-Frequency: 45 min. non-rush, 30 min. rush.

Route changes: Buses run along Glen Cove Road between Jericho Tpk. and Harbor Hill Rd.

The N25, umm.... I think they'll only have a couple AM & PM runs serving LIJ, and everything else west of NHP rd.... but in general, I can agree to that happening....

They could straighten the N27, but at the same time the connection to LIRR Roslyn I think would be retained... (pretty much resulting in the N27 looping back, similar to what the current N20/21 does to get to LIRR Great Neck)

await part 2 :tup:

Yes, but does Locust Valley even want a bus? That's probably a NIMBY crowd out there.

Well, there's always NIMBYs, but it doesn't seem like they would be that prevelant in that area.

Plus, one of those Glen Cove shuttle buses has a stint along Forest Avenue, so I don't think they'll really oppose a full-time route going there (of course, this is all theoretical for now, since Veolia will have to provide the core service first)

Well, there's always NIMBYs, but it doesn't seem like they would be that prevelant in that area.

Plus, one of those Glen Cove shuttle buses has a stint along Forest Avenue, so I don't think they'll really oppose a full-time route going there (of course, this is all theoretical for now, since Veolia will have to provide the core service first)

And they got a railroad with grade crossings in their backyard.

And they got a railroad with grade crossings in their backyard.

If thats the case N21 extension would be a sinch. HMM rerouting N15 I am not so sure about that one it gets heavy use on it's residential portion between rockville centre and hempstead. The N16 being a glorified shuttle if that happens then they should just cut it that will be utterly useless.

HMM rerouting N15 I am not so sure about that one it gets heavy use on it's residential portion between rockville centre and hempstead. The N16 being a glorified shuttle if that happens then they should just cut it that will be utterly useless

I wouldn't say the N15 gets heavy use along that portion... it's heaviest points are b/w RFM & Hempstead (including, along Fulton av)... and b/w RVC & its terminal down in Long Beach.....

....and a route goin from RFM to Hempstead via NCC could definitely survive on its own

Archived