What Long Island Bus service may look like next year

PinePower

I study Nassau County bus map very carefully.

If Veolia discontinue N36, N25 could be extended via N36 route to Freeport Station, so people in along N25 and N36 has direct one seat ride between Freeport and Great Neck and could help rellief crowd on busy N4 route.

N23 could extend to Hempstead Transit Center via N22/N16 route that provide N23 riders direct riders to Roosevelt Field, Nassau Community College and Hempstead.

During summer time when Jones Beach is open, one of route could extend to Jones Beach, so people wouldn`t lose bus service to Jones Beach.

N4 could be extended to Jones Beach.

Or if Veolia can`t, Jones Beach should paid charter bus to Jones Beach bus.

Have taxi serving Freeport Stations to be part of Long Island Railroad`s Jones Beach package deal.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
* * * * OFF This has nothing to do with the topic and my ideas are very minor. Some are short term others long term If you have nothing nice or debatable to say **** ****

trolled+softly.jpg

Seriously, peoples' livelihoods and lives in general depend on LIB service, even with all the problems it has. You have to wonder what they'll if something does happen to the service levels.

Its a rough draft but I am trying to streamline routes while making them more appealing to new riders. Also works on shortening running time so less buses can be used but still provide decent service. I'd really like to see the seating rearranged in the rear section of the Orion 7NG's, to allow for more standing room. The current seating layout really limits capacity, and thus, efficiency. Anyway, here's a partial list of some of the changes I'd make.

N15: Runs via Stewart and Washington between RF and HTC, redundant service on Old Country and Mineola/HTC corridor w N40/41. Quicker trip time between HTC and RF. Runs every 20 min weekday rush hours, 30 min other times and weekends, with extra trips between HTC and RF at certain times.

N16: Combine with N32: Existing route between HTC and Roosevelt Field, then south of HTC down Peninsula Blvd (returning service to Mercy Hospital) then down Broadway via existing N32 route to Far Rockaway. This gives the 5 towns a direct bus to the Roosevelt Field and NCC area. Runs every 30 minutes Mon – Fri, with extra school trippers between HTC and RF. Saturday: every 30 minutes. Sunday: Hourly.

N19: Have most buses end at Sunrise Mall, with 30 min headways between Sunrise Mall – Freeport, some rush hour trips to Babylon, hourly Saturday, no service Sunday.

N22: Split up route into two sections. Existing section west of Roosevelt Field will run via N22 route, with some rush hour trips operating the “A” routing. Rush hour headways will be 15 min, 30 min all other times. New N29 route will run the eastern section of the route, between RF and Hicksville. Routing will be changed to run via Old Country Rd, Post Ave, Union, Prospect to Hicksville, then some trips in rush hour will operate to Woodbury via the N79 route. Weekday rush hours will run every 15 min between RF and Hicksville, 20 min at other times weekday, 30 min nights and weekends. Will replace N79 route to Woodbury on weekends, with some Saturday trips extended to Walt Whitman Mall near mall opening and closing times. This adjustment will better serve rider turnover, and the shorter routes will be more reliable.

N24: Runs to NCC weekdays instead of Lindbergh or East Meadow

N25: remove loop by LIJ to reduce running time, extend Q46 to Lake Success Quad

N27: Changes to weekday service patterns. During rush hours, at 30 min headways, some trips will run express from Glen Cove, via Glen Cove Rd, bypassing Glen Cove Ave, and Roslyn Rd. Other trips will originate at Roslyn Rail. Rush hours will be from 7am – 9am and 5pm to 7pm. Hourly service other times due to lighter ridership at those times. Saturday: hourly except every 45 minutes between 7am and 9am and 5pm and 7pm. Sunday: Hourly

N35: Extend to Jericho Quad on weekdays, to replace 48/49, via Post Ave and Jericho Tpke. This will add service to shopping centers in NE Westbury and provide direct connections to more Jamaica bound buses at RF. N35 will no longer serve Privado Rd and instead use Merrick Ave to Stewart Ave, no NCC, to reduce running time

N36: Combine with N43, to boost ridership along weak route, with every other 43 trip going to Lynbrook

N45: Use existing route to Merrick, then down Merrick Ave, to Sunrise Highway to Sunrise Mall. Having more shopping centers, malls, and transfer points will boost ridership, adding a new direct link between Sunrise Mall and Roosevelt Field, runs every 90 min Mon-Sat

N48/49: Extend to Woodbury Crossways, via Jericho Turnpike

N50: eliminate due to low ridership

N51: duplicated by new N45 in Merrick, eliminate

N54/55: end all trips at Sunrise Mall, make all trips N55s

N57: eliminate due to low ridership

N58: combine with N25 (N25 would be extended to Great Neck village rush hour weekdays only)

N62: eliminate, duplicated by N36

N73/74: redesign into one route, running from Roosevelt Field, via Old Country Rd, Rt.107, via Wantagh Ave to Wantagh, extended to Jones Beach in summer, 7 days a week service, hourly. Putting more direct destinations on this route will boost ridership

Old Country Rd between RF and Hicksville needs 20 min headways, due to crowding, weekdays

N78: eliminate route segment

N79: Runs between RF and Walt Whitman Mall weekdays only. Hourly service.

N80/81: Eliminate N80 segment, redesign into new route serving Sunrise Mall, Bethpage, via South Oyster Bay road to Syosset Rail. With connections to LIRR in the Massapequas and Syosset, schools and business in Bethpage, and shopping along S.Oyster Bay rd, ridership will be boosted along this weak route. Hourly service 7 days a week.

at least your ideas are a bit more realistic, but can it be done with the money provided?

a few comments:

the 80 extension not sure of how that would work, the south oyster bay road corridor there is more affluent than broadway, more people have cars in that area than further in hicksville, so I dont know if there is possibility for gains there.

the 73/74 realignment is interesting, but is the 88 still there for teh beach or is the 73/74 replacing it for jones beach runs.

the 35 extension im not sure how that will work, theres not much there on that segment of jericho turnpike, probably can put a stop by home depot and that mcdonalds and one around the cantauge rock road intersection, then have it go under the highway and over to teh jericho buildings.

the 43 and 36 seem like they serve very different areas, one looks like its for the atlantic avenue corridor thru freeport and baldwin and the others a north south route.

I will give you credit for at least living here and having more of an idea of the various towns on long island are like and are approaching this somewhat logically unlike qtrainmaster who just seems to be looking at lines on a map without looking into what nassau county actually is like.

However, in my neck of the woods I doubt anyone's gunna give up their car for the bus in huge numbers, and I still support Ed Mangano and feel hes much better than Tom Suozzi.

Why don't you? Your cursing INAPPROPRIATELY at a person who made a sarcastic joke....Yeah yeah your ideas are very "minor"...

Who the hell is going to believe you? Your "ideas" are basically STUPID and you didn't even think about them...most of them will get the (MTA) bankrupt...

Especially if there is a thread about Veolia cutting LIB service....

Do you really think they are extending the N2 to Flushing via the LIE? That is the most STUPIDEST idea EVER. So, whos paying?? YOU.

GTFO and STFU (excuse language)

Any other one of your dumb "ideas" and I'll go deal with you..

Mega_Facepalm.jpg

:mad:

grow up loudmouth

at least your ideas are a bit more realistic, but can it be done with the money provided?

a few comments:

the 80 extension not sure of how that would work, the south oyster bay road corridor there is more affluent than broadway, more people have cars in that area than further in hicksville, so I dont know if there is possibility for gains there.

the 73/74 realignment is interesting, but is the 88 still there for teh beach or is the 73/74 replacing it for jones beach runs.

the 35 extension im not sure how that will work, theres not much there on that segment of jericho turnpike, probably can put a stop by home depot and that mcdonalds and one around the cantauge rock road intersection, then have it go under the highway and over to teh jericho buildings.

the 43 and 36 seem like they serve very different areas, one looks like its for the atlantic avenue corridor thru freeport and baldwin and the others a north south route.

I will give you credit for at least living here and having more of an idea of the various towns on long island are like and are approaching this somewhat logically unlike qtrainmaster who just seems to be looking at lines on a map without looking into what nassau county actually is like.

However, in my neck of the woods I doubt anyone's gunna give up their car for the bus in huge numbers, and I still support Ed Mangano and feel hes much better than Tom Suozzi.

I do hope my ideas save some money. There's alot of service wasted in some areas and not enough in others. Some routes are indirect, and by making them more direct and quicker, they can attract some new riders. The MTA likes to run routes in their full length, which may work in the city, but not in the suburbs.

I want our system to look more like Westchester Bee-Line which is more tailor made to ridership patterns. But they have a $35 Million budget from the county. I dont know what their total budget, incl state aid is. I am planning on sending my ideas to Veolia.

Its a rough draft but I am trying to streamline routes while making them more appealing to new riders. Also works on shortening running time so less buses can be used but still provide decent service. I'd really like to see the seating rearranged in the rear section of the Orion 7NG's, to allow for more standing room. The current seating layout really limits capacity, and thus, efficiency. Anyway, here's a partial list of some of the changes I'd make.

N15: Runs via Stewart and Washington between RF and HTC, redundant service on Old Country and Mineola/HTC corridor w N40/41. Quicker trip time between HTC and RF. Runs every 20 min weekday rush hours, 30 min other times and weekends, with extra trips between HTC and RF at certain times.

N16: Combine with N32: Existing route between HTC and Roosevelt Field, then south of HTC down Peninsula Blvd (returning service to Mercy Hospital) then down Broadway via existing N32 route to Far Rockaway. This gives the 5 towns a direct bus to the Roosevelt Field and NCC area. Runs every 30 minutes Mon – Fri, with extra school trippers between HTC and RF. Saturday: every 30 minutes. Sunday: Hourly.

N19: Have most buses end at Sunrise Mall, with 30 min headways between Sunrise Mall – Freeport, some rush hour trips to Babylon, hourly Saturday, no service Sunday.

N22: Split up route into two sections. Existing section west of Roosevelt Field will run via N22 route, with some rush hour trips operating the “A” routing. Rush hour headways will be 15 min, 30 min all other times. New N29 route will run the eastern section of the route, between RF and Hicksville. Routing will be changed to run via Old Country Rd, Post Ave, Union, Prospect to Hicksville, then some trips in rush hour will operate to Woodbury via the N79 route. Weekday rush hours will run every 15 min between RF and Hicksville, 20 min at other times weekday, 30 min nights and weekends. Will replace N79 route to Woodbury on weekends, with some Saturday trips extended to Walt Whitman Mall near mall opening and closing times. This adjustment will better serve rider turnover, and the shorter routes will be more reliable.

N27: Changes to weekday service patterns. During rush hours, at 30 min headways, some trips will run express from Glen Cove, via Glen Cove Rd, bypassing Glen Cove Ave, and Roslyn Rd. Other trips will originate at Roslyn Rail. Rush hours will be from 7am – 9am and 5pm to 7pm. Hourly service other times due to lighter ridership at those times. Saturday: hourly except every 45 minutes between 7am and 9am and 5pm and 7pm. Sunday: Hourly

N35: Extend to Jericho Quad on weekdays, to replace 48/49, via Post Ave and Jericho Tpke. This will add service to shopping centers in NE Westbury and provide direct connections to more Jamaica bound buses at RF. N35 will no longer serve Privado Rd and instead use Merrick Ave to Stewart Ave, no NCC, to reduce running time

N36: Combine with N43, to boost ridership along weak route, with every other 43 trip going to Lynbrook

N45: Use existing route to Merrick, then down Merrick Ave, to Sunrise Highway to Sunrise Mall. Having more shopping centers, malls, and transfer points will boost ridership, adding a new direct link between Sunrise Mall and Roosevelt Field, runs every 90 min Mon-Sat

N58: combine with N25 (N25 would be extended to Great Neck village rush hour weekdays only)

N73/74: redesign into one route, running from Roosevelt Field, via Old Country Rd, Rt.107, via Wantagh Ave to Wantagh, extended to Jones Beach in summer, 7 days a week service, hourly. Putting more direct destinations on this route will boost ridership

Old Country Rd between RF and Hicksville needs 20 min headways, due to crowding, weekdays

N80/81: Eliminate N80 segment, redesign into new route serving Sunrise Mall, Bethpage, via South Oyster Bay road to Syosset Rail. With connections to LIRR in the Massapequas and Syosset, schools and business in Bethpage, and shopping along S.Oyster Bay rd, ridership will be boosted along this weak route. Hourly service 7 days a week.

OHH nice I however thought it would be better to merge N36 with N1 instead of N43.

I wanted to let N81 become the crosstown to syosset then merge N80 with N20 short turns via LIE.

My bad looks like N35 can go nowhere and loop parkway kills transit. Thanks for giving me a layout of the roads. But since N74/73 ridership is low can't smaller buses be used that can use the loop parkway???

What part of too narrow for buses don't you understand with your N35 extension. I even showed you a photo of a particular section of Post Road that would make it very difficult to get a bus down there without impacting traffic.

well I had it mixed up, either way, Loop Parkway doesn't allow trucks, that includes buses. That's why the N69 goes where it goes. Have you even examined the traffic on Loop Parkway, its only busy on two instances, if the drawbridge is up, and during beach season. A Long Beach to Hicksville routing like that is out of the way and impractical. A more direct route involves the Southern State Parkway however trucks CANNOT use the parkway and that includes buses. Theres really nothing in Hicksville that someone cant find closer to Long Beach, if its the train, theres the LIRR right there! if they want a mall, Roosvelt Field is closer and has all the same stores as Broadway mall.

I don't think there's a big market for people out east going to Elmont or anywhere the N8 goes. If anyone needs to get to Stewart Manor from the main line there's the N25 there already. People LIdon't go to green acres from that far out as Roosevelt Field is much closer and safer. (Green Acres Mall has a stigma for being the place where all the people from the hood go, so people who aren't in that immediate area tend to avoid it and go to Roosevelt Field or Walt Whitman Mall)

Plus is there even a demand for that many Elmont residents to get a one seat ride to Adelphi? theres the nearby N25 and N6 for transfers to hempstead or stewart manor or merillon avenue for access to mineola or adelphi.

that N58 to the top of Kings point is a joke, that needs to be cut, the buses can barely get up there let alone turn around, It was tight making a 3 point turn in a little toyota, I dont know how thye do it with a huge bus. The 58 should end at the Merchant Marine academy at all times the 58 actually runs.

LIRR service to new hyde park is severly limited hence why N8 to mineola would make things easier and cater to a larger crowd cause it will link with more LIRR trains. I do agree with N58 however. Remember those LIRR stations have limited service.

LIRR service to new hyde park is severly limited hence why N8 to mineola would make things easier and cater to a larger crowd cause it will link with more LIRR trains. I do agree with N58 however. Remember those LIRR stations have limited service.

service is hourly off-peak at New Hyde Park station and Merillon Avenue. I don't know where you get limited from. That is comparable with many LIB routes which also are hourly.

service is hourly off-peak at New Hyde Park station and Merillon Avenue. I don't know where you get limited from. That is comparable with many LIB routes which also are hourly.

true but the direct link alternates. When a train links the N8 would meet trains that bypass new hyde park.

However my N16 idea and N25 one are not fails. But at least you answered most of my questions. Can the N74/73 become minibuses or use smaller ones that can use the parkway the loop??? I have to say SCT favors regional more than nassau

true but the direct link alternates. When a train links the N8 would meet trains that bypass new hyde park.

However my N16 idea and N25 one are not fails. But at least you answered most of my questions. Can the N74/73 become minibuses or use smaller ones that can use the parkway the loop??? I have to say SCT favors regional more than nassau

they can use the short bus size buses, which are built on a Ford van chassis. but again its a very roundabout way to get to long beach and I just don't see the demand.

but again with teh N8, its a route that serves Elmont mostly, and why would people from Mineola go all the way to Green Acres Mall when they can go to Roosevelt Field which is closer, faster to get to and has more service to it. Most people who go to Green Acres mall come from Southeast Queens or Valley Stream or Elmont. I highly doubt you are going to get the huge increase in ridership to justify the extension.

they can use the short bus size buses, which are built on a Ford van chassis. but again its a very roundabout way to get to long beach and I just don't see the demand.

but again with teh N8, its a route that serves Elmont mostly, and why would people from Mineola go all the way to Green Acres Mall when they can go to Roosevelt Field which is closer, faster to get to and has more service to it. Most people who go to Green Acres mall come from Southeast Queens or Valley Stream or Elmont. I highly doubt you are going to get the huge increase in ridership to justify the extension.

green acres is simply a terminus the areas around N8 and lines some MTA ones that link to N8 might create some opportunities. However I completely overhauled my final draft thx. True but some the small buses can take ppl from points east from LIRR to long beach via lido beach. Ok I will stick with the N80/81, N50, N16/N25, N58 plans. The N46 idea can help. But N74/73 I am out on that one especially N35. N2 was a gamble. N80 is a do or die measure by recycling N20 short turns. Another new express rte is created from recycled N16 short turns called N34 it's a penninsula blvd express rte basically DHs on that roadway turn to revenue runs. N24 recovers N50 bellmore segment. Additional service to NCC from roosevelt available from rerouted N46.

:cool:

they can also change at Lynbrook :P

as for the 80 its honestly not worth saving. The 20 is a long enough route as it is.

BUT the train service to lynbrook isn't absolute ppl can just use N15 as that is faster no waiting for lynbrook train the time between trains is too much. The 20 I said 20 short turns via LIE express absorb N80 the N20 if via LIE between roslyn and hicksville is 20 mins rather than 40 for reg N20. Meaning it's 50 mins to replace N80 with N20 short turn and that is 10 mins longer than reg N20 to hicksville. At rush some can go superexpress to greatneck then drop ppl off to great neck LIRR for service to flushing for ppl from hicksville LIRR trains switching to N80 express non stop to great neck means quick connection to flushing as at rush the trips will time with LIRR flushing superexpresses this won't cost many ppl any extra as their pass is interchangable on other LIRR lines. In addition N80 can absorb grean neck ridership using the highway. So reaching northern blvd would be very easy. The N80 however would drop weekend service. The N20 via LIU and NYIT trips however WILL BE UNCHANGED!!!!!!!! Hope that addresses your concerns.

one thing I am hoping happened out of this shakeup especially in southwest Nassau is we get weekend West Hempstead branch service back.

Is it possible for N35 to extend to long beach at rush??? Cause N15 is TOO CRUSHLOADED for a ridership increase. I observed many ppl heading to long beach from the N35's direction(baldwin) rds to long beach rd.

Service to lynbrook from points east is too limited not terrible but inconvenient.

last weekend I was in Virginia Beach, a very nice city if you ever get the chance to visit. It is considered the 'suburbs' from Norfolk as well as a vacationing area.

They have a set of buses that's much less extensive than Nassau (VA Beach is the eastern half of the map east of I-264) Portsmouth and Chesapeake are also equivalent as suburbs to Norfolk (the biggest city) and the buses aren't as extensive as Nassau county's

http://www.gohrt.com/maps/sys-maps/southside-map.pdf

but yet people get around, they get to where they need to be. The point I'm trying to make is, this isn't the end of the world for Nassau county. Many parts of the country do a lot more with less.

in other news, careful if photographing their buses or light rail down there, look at this: http://www.gohrt.com/contact/safety-security/

I have to agree with your analysis 100%. Since my retirement last year I've spent my time in NC(Fayetteville, Charlotte), Brooklyn and Brentwood, NY. Being a Brooklynite it amazes me that these other areas have never had the type of bus service that I grew up with yet they still manage to function. I mean I grew up with bus service 24/7/365 yet those other cities and towns have little or no service IMO yet Charlotte, especially, seems to be a thriving area. Maybe Nassau County and the new operator can at least preserve the busier routes and make them more functional for the service that will remain.BTW for those people hung up over the S.I. vs Nassau County bus service costs the VZB argument is a red herring to say the least. That bridge was not built to satisfy S.I. or Brooklyn residents no matter how the story is spun today. That bridge and it's approaches and such were built to benefit interstate commerce between NY and NJ via the S.I. Expressway. It's the same rationale Robert Moses used for the Cross-Bronx and what he tried to pull with the lower Manhattan -Canal St-Holland Tunnel. Use the "improvement" to get Federal money and satisfy the bondholders at the same time. The (MTA) and the PA are using their bridges and tunnels as "cash cows" because every single one of their bridges and tunnels should have been paid for and the bonds retired decades ago. Here we have forum members ranting and raving at each other over city vs Nassau buses while the (MTA), it's big brother the PA, and Nassau county are playing a game on everyone. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

N15: Yeah, that's something that's long been needed (quicker service b/w RFM & HTC)...

N16: So you're gonna move service off Hempstead av, to run service down Peninsula blvd? I'm not sure what this is supposed to accomplish exactly; that portion of the N31/32 gets good usage.....

N19: ALL buses should end at sunrise mall....

N22: Too complicated for no reason....

How's about moving that N73/74 reconfiguration you thought up, off old country road, and have it take on the route your "N29" would..... I see what you're tryna do, You aint slick :P

N24: Not sure if buses can terminate around at/around NCC... but if so, that's a very good idea....

N25: I would only have a couple am/pm runs serve that "loop".... But extending the Q46 in its place would only worsen things for that route - that's not a compromise to anything..... LIJ is as far as the Q46 should go....

N35, N48/49: you want to extend this along jericho tpke to the quad... and also extending the 48/49 to the crossways.... forget about all that service along Jericho Tpke; in that neck of the county.....

N36: don't agree at all.... either increase headways or get rid of this route entirely..... Let either the N40, 41, or 43 serve south freeport.... Getting rid of the N62 due to an extended N43 to replace the N36 is completely unnecessary...

It's a ridiculous waste of mileage to have 43's go from Lynbrook to Freeport (panning south, then back north).... then from Freeport to RFM via NCC.....

N45: hmm... not a bad idea, having service along sunrise hwy. from Merrick to Sunrise (Mall).... that would end up being a lot more useful than the current N51....

N54/55: ehh, just have all buses run down broadway, since you would have the N45 run along sunrise hwy.... If folks need washington av, let them take 45's to LIRR seaford & walk north, or N55's & walk south.....

N58: agreed.... you wouldn't need an extra bus running as the 58... way to streamline service....

N73/74: Veolia would love that one.... not sure about this particular restructure, but I do agree service in that part of the county should be streamlined somehow.....

The JB part of it, you're essentially bringing back the N87.... sorry, but N88 service is gonna have to do....

N79: I would keep them all at Mineola Intermodal ctr.... not sure you'd want 2 buses coming from Queens, being the (only) links b/w LIRR Mineola & RFM.....

N80/81: If you're gonna restructure it that way, then you definitely don't need the N48/49 running along Jericho Tpke.... just have this serve crossways during peak hrs. instead, en route to LIRR Syosset.... it's gonna need any added ridership anyway....

I do hope my ideas save some money. There's alot of service wasted in some areas and not enough in others. Some routes are indirect, and by making them more direct and quicker, they can attract some new riders. The MTA likes to run routes in their full length, which may work in the city, but not in the suburbs.

I want our system to look more like Westchester Bee-Line which is more tailor made to ridership patterns. But they have a $35 Million budget from the county. I dont know what their total budget, incl state aid is. I am planning on sending my ideas to Veolia.

I get the sense your ideas will save money, and you're absolutely right as far as waste goes.... that's long been the problem; too much bus service where it needn't (need not) be.... It's not so much that they're indirect, as much as it is not curtailing bus service as best as they can to the majority/bulk of its riders (not exactly the same thing)..... That is where bee line's got a leg up on LIB.....

that bit about full length routes is off-base... you say that like there are no short turns whatsoever on any of our routes.... like every M101 runs from ft. george to astor pl... like every B44 runs from sheepshead bay to williamsburg bridge plz... like every Q60 runs from south jamaica to east midtown..... c'mon now.....

N15: Yeah, that's something that's long been needed (quicker service b/w RFM & HTC)...

N16: So you're gonna move service off Hempstead av, to run service down Peninsula blvd? I'm not sure what this is supposed to accomplish exactly; that portion of the N31/32 gets good usage.....

N19: ALL buses should end at sunrise mall....

N22: Too complicated for no reason....

How's about moving that N73/74 reconfiguration you thought up, off old country road, and have it take on the route your "N29" would..... I see what you're tryna do, You aint slick :P

N24: Not sure if buses can terminate around at/around NCC... but if so, that's a very good idea....

N25: I would only have a couple am/pm runs serve that "loop".... But extending the Q46 in its place would only worsen things for that route - that's not a compromise to anything..... LIJ is as far as the Q46 should go....

N35, N48/49: you want to extend this along jericho tpke to the quad... and also extending the 48/49 to the crossways.... forget about all that service along Jericho Tpke; in that neck of the county.....

N36: don't agree at all.... either increase headways or get rid of this route entirely..... Let either the N40, 41, or 43 serve south freeport.... Getting rid of the N62 due to an extended N43 to replace the N36 is completely unnecessary...

It's a ridiculous waste of mileage to have 43's go from Lynbrook to Freeport (panning south, then back north).... then from Freeport to RFM via NCC.....

N45: hmm... not a bad idea, having service along sunrise hwy. from Merrick to Sunrise (Mall).... that would end up being a lot more useful than the current N51....

N54/55: ehh, just have all buses run down broadway, since you would have the N45 run along sunrise hwy.... If folks need washington av, let them take 45's to LIRR seaford & walk north, or N55's & walk south.....

N58: agreed.... you wouldn't need an extra bus running as the 58... way to streamline service....

N73/74: Veolia would love that one.... not sure about this particular restructure, but I do agree service in that part of the county should be streamlined somehow.....

The JB part of it, you're essentially bringing back the N87.... sorry, but N88 service is gonna have to do....

N79: I would keep them all at Mineola Intermodal ctr.... not sure you'd want 2 buses coming from Queens, being the (only) links b/w LIRR Mineola & RFM.....

N80/81: If you're gonna restructure it that way, then you definitely don't need the N48/49 running along Jericho Tpke.... just have this serve crossways during peak hrs. instead, en route to LIRR Syosset.... it's gonna need any added ridership anyway....

I get the sense your ideas will save money, and you're absolutely right as far as waste goes.... that's long been the problem; too much bus service where it needn't (need not) be.... It's not so much that they're indirect, as much as it is not curtailing bus service as best as they can to the majority/bulk of its riders (not exactly the same thing)..... That is where bee line's got a leg up on LIB.....

that bit about full length routes is off-base... you say that like there are no short turns whatsoever on any of our routes.... like every M101 runs from ft. george to astor pl... like every B44 runs from sheepshead bay to williamsburg bridge plz... like every Q60 runs from south jamaica to east midtown..... c'mon now.....

Well with the N16/32 combo I was hoping to reduce running time and return service to the Mercy Hospital. I feel the existing N31/32 route is often duplicated by N15 service on nearby Woodfield Road. The existing N16 route is also duplicated by the nearby N35.

All N19 buses could end at Sunrise Mall, but there'd need to be an ST bus replacing that portion along Montauk Highway, the S20 should take the place of it, it already runs down Montauk hwy partially.

I dunno how well the new Nassau system and Suffolk will work together.

Having the N73/74 config be replaced by that N29 suggestion could work, but the problem is the RF - Hicksville leg will need much more frequent service than the Hicksville-Wantagh leg.

Good idea with the N25, have only some am/pm runs serve that loop. Its not that much of a walk anyway from NHP Rd.

Having service along the Jericho Turnpike corridor will improve ridership numbers on those routes, as it is very commercial. Its one of the only major commercial areas on Long Island without any regular bus service, save for the Quad.

The N36 has weak ridership, maybe the eastern end of it should be discontinued, continue service on the west end and have it go to Long Beach to help the N15? If not than the N36 can just be canned, but it does leave the western part of Oceanside and East Rockaway without any bus service.

Yes I'd have all N55 service down Broadway, N54 would be discontinued.

I guess you could be right about the N79, at least weekdays it should serve Mineola.

As far as Jericho Turnpike goes, one could have the N81 go to Syosset via S.Oyster Bay Rd, and the N35 go east along Jericho Turnpike to Crossways.

N48/49 end at Hicksville, yeah that probably makes more sense.

Yeah NYCT does have short turns, but MTAB not as much. When the (city) came here they got rid of alot of the short turns having most routes run their entire length, which is pointless.

Rerouting the N16 by way of Peninsula Boulevard and merging it with the N32 is so dumb tht Veolia will probably do it. The reason is because the portion of Peninsula Boulevard between Mercy Medical Center and Ocean Avenue only has intersections with Lakeview and Maine avenues. There are als NO residences or buisnesses to speak of between those two on Peninsula Boulevard.

:P

:confused:

Rerouting the N16 by way of Peninsula Boulevard and merging it with the N32 is so dumb tht Veolia will probably do it. The reason is because the portion of Peninsula Boulevard between Mercy Medical Center and Ocean Avenue only has intersections with Lakeview and Maine avenues. There are als NO residences or buisnesses to speak of between those two on Peninsula Boulevard.

:P

Sorry my bad that was pinepower's idea NOT mine. Ok yes I actually would have to agree with you there.

Well with the N16/32 combo I was hoping to reduce running time and return service to the Mercy Hospital. I feel the existing N31/32 route is often duplicated by N15 service on nearby Woodfield Road. The existing N16 route is also duplicated by the nearby N35.

All N19 buses could end at Sunrise Mall, but there'd need to be an ST bus replacing that portion along Montauk Highway, the S20 should take the place of it, it already runs down Montauk hwy partially.

I dunno how well the new Nassau system and Suffolk will work together.

Having the N73/74 config be replaced by that N29 suggestion could work, but the problem is the RF - Hicksville leg will need much more frequent service than the Hicksville-Wantagh leg.

Good idea with the N25, have only some am/pm runs serve that loop. Its not that much of a walk anyway from NHP Rd.

Having service along the Jericho Turnpike corridor will improve ridership numbers on those routes, as it is very commercial. Its one of the only major commercial areas on Long Island without any regular bus service, save for the Quad.

The N36 has weak ridership, maybe the eastern end of it should be discontinued, continue service on the west end and have it go to Long Beach to help the N15? If not than the N36 can just be canned, but it does leave the western part of Oceanside and East Rockaway without any bus service.

Yes I'd have all N55 service down Broadway, N54 would be discontinued.

I guess you could be right about the N79, at least weekdays it should serve Mineola.

As far as Jericho Turnpike goes, one could have the N81 go to Syosset via S.Oyster Bay Rd, and the N35 go east along Jericho Turnpike to Crossways.

N48/49 end at Hicksville, yeah that probably makes more sense.

Yeah NYCT does have short turns, but MTAB not as much. When the (city) came here they got rid of alot of the short turns having most routes run their entire length, which is pointless.

NOPE I wouldn't do that I would extend N71 to babylon via N19 rting OR interline N19 with N72. The N16 merger isn't needed a New N34 rte is created in my plan that WILL DO JUST THAT with a catch It serves penninsula blvd the whole way en rte to nassau hub and serves N16 stops except Roosevelt field. The N34 will continue onward to oyster bay via rte 106 and brush hollow rd or jericho tpk.

N80 I would merge with N20 short turns via LIE non stop to roslyn or great neck(rush hr) then Cover N20 rting with fewer stops. N81 stays on S oyster bay rd to crossways.

Also N74/73 replace N94.

Extend N40 to jewish medical via marcus ave. N41 to great neck via marcus and lakeville rd. Agree with streamlining N25. Plus N40 extension would eliminate need for N25 to do that.

MAIN N16 reroutes to green acres via sunrise hwy. N51 extends to sunrise mall. Interlines with N27 via DH or other lines.

N24 won't need NCC I'd give that to the N46 which can use the ridership boost. N46 via east meadow rd to NCC then roosevelt field would definately help the line. N46 does NOT need hempstead let those few folk transfer to tpk lines.

Plus Instead of rerouting N15 and cutting off some folk. Just extend N35 to long beach N35 already has a more direct travel path anyway. Let the N35 be the faster version of the N15. Let N50 be the crosstown version that's a hybrid of N49 and N15. basically it will go via meadowbrook rd to centennial to long beach rd then onward to long beach via austin blvd unlike N15. N50 ridership will increase. Let N24 replace old N50 bellmore rd segment or leave it axed.

N24 already has high ridership. Let the N46 get that ridership from NCC to roosevelt instead it needs it much more. With the N48 and 49 there is NO need for a 3rd rte on front street this ain't suffolk where that actually may make sense.

N80 I would merge with N20 short turns via LIE non stop to roslyn or great neck(rush hr) then Cover N20 rting with fewer stops. N81 stays on S oyster bay rd to crossways.

Also N74/73 replace N94.

Again, there is no demand to go to Great Neck or Manhasset unless you live there. It isn't a major part of the island, and why would anyone sit on a bus in traffic on the LIE in the morning or evening rush to go to Queens when they can take the LIRR and then get on a local bus at Hicksville if they have no car. Even to go to flushing you can just catch a bus in queens that goes up there from Jamaica,

the 94 was cancelled due to low ridership, bring it back as something else would be a waste.

Archived