Troy Davis Executed

R68 Subway Car

I didn't read up on all the details but I know my Facebook was overloaded with this story. Condolences to both families but it seems he may be innocent. It would be some-what amusing when they do in fact find evidence that never linked to him at all. In some ways I believe death-row is over the edge in these type of cases.

A savage because he has dark skin and people supported him... I see how it is.

Where did I say anything about his skin color? Anyone who murders someone else is a savage, I don't care what their skin color is. If you want to think my statement is racist, go ahead but your wrong.

How long after conviction did the witnesses recant their statements?

Over the years, rather spread out, starting in 1996, five years after his conviction, and eleven years before his first execution date was set. But apparently for the courts this is too long.

Honestly I don't think they should execute anyone if there's any doubt at all that he's guilty, and there was definitely a whole lotta doubt here. There's a reason he received three stays of execution. Just my takes.

Over the years, rather spread out, starting in 1996, five years after his conviction, and eleven years before his first execution date was set. But apparently for the courts this is too long.

Honestly I don't think they should execute anyone if there's any doubt at all that he's guilty, and there was definitely a whole lotta doubt here. There's a reason he received three stays of execution. Just my takes.

It is too long, why didn't they tell the truth the first time around? He was on death row for 22 years, that's more then enough time for "new" evidence to clear him. To say that no one should be executed if there is any doubt is just counter productive, people would try anything to get out of the chair, if you sit for 22 years and they can still prove your guilt, you fry (or get the needle).

It seems to me like cases such as Willingham's are a symptom of a troubled state justice system rather than an indictment of the death penalty itself... We have animals in our prisons who will spend the rest of their lives getting three hot meals a day at our expense because they happen to live in non-death penalty states, while men like Willingham will be executed because Rick Perry doesn't want to look soft on crime; it's rather ridiculous. Personally, I believe that the death penalty should continue to exist, and should be available across all fifty states, but that it should be federalized and standardized.

I would have no problem making the death penalty mandatory in cases of first-degree murder (without extenuating factors), but such a sentencing would not necessarily be final. Once a man is sentenced to death he (and all records,etc. pertaining to his case) should move out of the state or municipality that put him away and be handed over to the feds, and then a team of federal investigators should be commissioned to do a thorough review of existing evidence both for and against the convict, and if the case is truly open-and-shut carry out the execution immediately.

In more ambiguous cases (which most murder one cases often are) the execution date would be set as now, only with a second mandatory evidence review and case update 30 days in advance, and the evidence review team given the power to place an indefinite hold on the execution at any point in the process until all investigative wrinkles are ironed out, and based on the results of any further investigation, the convict would either be executed as scheduled (if there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the conviction was correct), freed (if there is a preponderance of evidence pointing to innocence), or referred to a federal court for retrial if there is not enough clear evidence one way or the other. All of this would be in addition to a convict's right to appeal.

I don't know enough about Troy Davis to know if he was guilty or not, but if the media reports are accurate as far as lack of direct physical evidence and witness recantation the man should have gotten a new trial in a different state with a new jury and the caveat that if convicted again he'd be executed within the month.

Archived