2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

Now with the 2011-'12 regular season about to begin, feel free to talk hockey right onto the Stanley Cup Finals in June 2012. Plus with several members on the boards who are diehard NHL fans, the NHL now deserves it's own thread.

First the news that officaly announces that the 2012 NHL Winter Classic will be held on New Years weekend(Monday 1/2/12 to be exact)at Citizens Bank Ballpark in Philadelphia. This year's matchup will be the NY Rangers and the Flyers. CBP is course home to the Philadelphia Phillies of MLB.

Of course the reason the winter classic will not be played on January 1 is of course to avoid a conflict playing at same time with the last day of the 2011 NFL regular season.

http://www.usatoday....park/50519192/1

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another reason the NHL has a hard time getting people of color i.e many more Black and Latino as fans. This incident in Ontario in a pre season game involving the Flyers Simmonds.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-09-22/flyers-wayne-simmonds-has-banana-thrown-at-him-during-shootout

LOL... Well if he thinks this is bad, he should see what happens in professional soccer... Some fans paint their faces black and wear afros and act like monkeys in the stands and make monkey noises every time say a black player touches the ball. One time this black player from Africa got so disgusted that he took the soccer ball and ran off of the field with it, but the other players called him back and he came back and played. These incidents have happened particularly in Europe, in Spain, Italy and England especially.

I have to say that this is surprising though because there have been more players with some black in them in the NHL, but I think since most of them are mixed and lighter that we've seen less of this. There have been fewer darker skinned blacks in the game though. I remember when Mike Grier was playing in his earlier years and the Oilers were playing the Devils in New Jersey. My teacher was at the game (I was in high school at that time) and he said everyone was looking at him (Mike Grier) everytime he got on the ice because they had never seen a dark skinned black guy playing hockey before. :eek:

I think Scott Gomez has been received relatively okay so far though.

And thus it beginneth!

I'm trying to get tickets to the Flyers' first game. Canucks are playing in Philly, so it should be great fun.

I'm still smiling about the Bruins kicking their cocky @sses and bringing them back down to earth. :P:) If they actually played without the chip on their shoulder they could've won. They clearly had more talent than the Bruins skill wise but they were outworked. So that's two years in a row with the cocky attitudes and no cup to show for it. lol

So who does everyone like this year? Too early to tell IMO. If the Avs stay healthy they could at least push for a playoff spot. The got really big on the back line so they should be solid defensively despite losing Foote to retirement. The goalie tandem with Giguere as a backup to Varlamov I actually like and a healthy Mueller, Jones and the new Swede could be great up front and of course Hejduk gets better w/age. The big question marks IMO are Stastny and Duchene. I think both underperformed terribly last year and teams that go far tend to be strong up the middle. Stastny tends to be a passer, but both he and Duchene have to step it up this year. IMO Duchene is too small and Stastny is overrated and this from someone who was an Avs fan since their Nordique days. :eek:

Despite Vancouver's collapse, I think they have a great shot at defending their Western Conference championship this season. They have the talent for it, from the goalie Luongo to the Sedin twins and so on.

In addition, Winnipeg finally gets a hockey team after the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to become the Winnipeg Jets again. The Thrashers weren't getting any publicity down there, but with them in a city that craves its hockey, they're going to get a raucous crowd with plenty of sellouts hopefully. Maybe that adrenaline will finally give them success.

Despite Vancouver's collapse, I think they have a great shot at defending their Western Conference championship this season. They have the talent for it, from the goalie Luongo to the Sedin twins and so on.

In addition, Winnipeg finally gets a hockey team after the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to become the Winnipeg Jets again. The Thrashers weren't getting any publicity down there, but with them in a city that craves its hockey, they're going to get a raucous crowd with plenty of sellouts hopefully. Maybe that adrenaline will finally give them success.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing lots of games on CBC and watching Hockey Night in Canada with the featured game involving the Winnipeg Jets. :cool: As for the Canucks, they're still favorites but they need to loose the cocky edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Hockey Night in Canada Anaylst/Commentator Don Cherry is hot water again for controversial remarks during the opening weekend of the new nhl season. This time for his comments on the recent death during the off season of several enforcers on his coach corner's segment. Here the USA Today article and also the video clip from youtube.com

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-10-11/stu-grimson-don-cherry/50729236/1

And his comments on coach's corner from 10/6/11.

I am sure Tokemon and VG8 will have something to say?:eek:

Well Hockey Night in Canada Anaylst/Commentator Don Cherry is hot water again for controversial remarks during the opening weekend of the new nhl season. This time for his comments on the recent death during the off season of several enforcers on his coach corner's segment. Here the USA Today article and also the video clip from youtube.com

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-10-11/stu-grimson-don-cherry/50729236/1

Psh whatever. Us Canadians love him because he's like a Rush Limbaugh, except with hockey, not politics.

LOL... Did you watch Versus last night? The post game analysis of the games was funny with Eddie and Jeremy arguing about whether or not Canadians were rooting for the Canucks or not.

Psh whatever. Us Canadians love him because he's like a Rush Limbaugh, except with hockey, not politics.

LOL... Did you watch Versus last night? The post game analysis of the games was funny with Eddie and Jeremy arguing about whether or not Canadians were rooting for the Canucks or not.

The only other national sports analyst/commentator in the US that has as much of a big mouth as Cherry and also controversial as him IMO is Charles Barkley with Turner's NBA coverage. Cherry is something to watch.:eek:

The only other national sports analyst/commentator in the US that has as much of a big mouth as Cherry and also controversial as him IMO is Charles Barkley with Turner's NBA coverage. Cherry is something to watch.:eek:

Canadiens fans are legally obligated not to like the Canucks because they're the "French" team. Therefore, they, by definition, will go against English Canada at any cost, but especially Ottawa, Toronto, and the West Coast teams, which pretty much is everyone. ;)

Canadiens fans are legally obligated not to like the Canucks because they're the "French" team. Therefore, they, by definition, will go against English Canada at any cost, but especially Ottawa, Toronto, and the West Coast teams, which pretty much is everyone. ;)

Well last night (10/15/11) HNIC 'coach's corner' Cherry does a '360 degrees' and offers an apology he made on opening night HNIC on enforcers.

• 1 month later...

Guess who back? It's the NHL current most famous player Sid Crosby. While I am not a hardcore NHL fan, it's great for the league which has gotten almost no media coverage here in US early in the season, despite the NBA work stoppage.

Crosby is important for media attention for causal fans like myself to watch more of the regular season games.

Hope he stays healthy and his carrer does not end early like another former young phenom Eric Landros.

Sidney Crosby to play on Monday

Eric Landros... LMAO... I've been laughing here in my office at that one for a while. :P

Yup. A terrible trade by the Flyers to basically give up high picks in possible future HOF's in Peter Forsberg to the Nords(now the Avs when team soon moved to Denver in 1995) and other good 'role players' for Landros. Yes Landros took Philly to a Stanley Cup Final. However this mega hockey trade was similar to the NFL and the Herschel Walker trade when the Cowboys traded Walker a former Heisman winner to the Vikings in the early 1990's that got future draft picks headed by hall of famers Micheal Irwin and Emmitt Smith. Vikings took almost a decade to recover from the Walker trade before reaching the NFC Title game in 1998.

Granted Crosby has already done way more than Landros, i.e win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Champion, etc. but hope he his greatness is over.

Yup. A terrible trade by the Flyers to basically give up high picks in possible future HOF's in Peter Forsberg to the Nords(now the Avs when team soon moved to Denver in 1995) and other good 'role players' for Landros. Yes Landros took Philly to a Stanley Cup Final. However this mega hockey trade was similar to the NFL and the Herschel Walker trade when the Cowboys traded Walker a former Heisman winner to the Vikings in the early 1990's that got future draft picks headed by hall of famers Micheal Irwin and Emmitt Smith. Vikings took almost a decade to recover from the Walker trade before reaching the NFC Title game in 1998.

Granted Crosby has already done way more than Landros, i.e win a Stanley Cup, Olympic Champion, etc. but hope he his greatness is over.

LOL... It's not Landros... It's LINDROS... LMAO... That's what I was laughing at. The thing is Lindros didn't want to play for Nordiques and he made it known publically that he would not play for them under any cirumstances and demanded a trade. The Flyers have always been a gritty team. They like players that are physical but also talented with the puck and with Bob Clarke in the front office, Lindros was the type of the guy that he felt fits with the Flyers "look" going back to the old days when he played for them. What happened to Lindros was unfortunate, but perhaps bound to happen based on his style of play. I still remember that hit too. Stevens comes half way across from the other side of the ice and just levels him. Wicked hit... :eek:

The funny thing is that eventually Forsberg did play for the Flyers and it didn't work out, so apparently things were meant to be. The shortfall of the Flyers has always been goaltending, and I was shocked and angered when they traded Carter and Richards away thinking they weren't going to be much, but they realized that they had shining stars in van Riemsdyk and Giroux, both of whom have stepped up to the next level very nicely and will be stars for years to come. Then you have Brière on the wing who always plays great, Jagr on another wing and those top two lines are two of the most potent in the NHL IMO. With Bryzgalov in net, I think they have the best chance to make it this year and finally win it, especially seeing that they currently average the most goals per game and have big Pronger back on "D" to shake things up. Somehow they've managed to choke the last two times that they've been to the finals and both times I said they needed a stronger goaltender presence and now they have that, so we'll see how things go. The Sharks right now look quite dangerous out West.

Archived