2011-'12 NHL Thread

Shortline Bus

With Crosby's return last night vs. the Islanders it was the lead national sports story not only in Canada but across the US as well. To show how much Crosby is a star i saw in the office at 10am ESPN 'sportscenter' having "Sid the kid" as the lead story. That even over Monday Night Football(Pats destroy the Chiefs)coverage and another proof the NHL needs someone like Crosby to get the causal fan to watch regular season games.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Crosby's return last night vs. the Islanders it was the lead national sports story not only in Canada but across the US as well. To show how much Crosby is a star i saw in the office at 10am ESPN 'sportscenter' having "Sid the kid" as the lead story. That even over Monday Night Football(Pats destroy the Chiefs)coverage and another proof the NHL needs someone like Crosby to get the causal fan to watch regular season games.

No question the kid is good but they really need to calm down. They're treating him like he's some kind of God or something. Part of this is the NHL trying to prop up the sport and make it more popular. The NHL will never compete with other sports like basketball, American football and baseball, simply because you need money to afford it.

I used to play roller hockey back in high school and even that was expensive seeing that my mom would give me money for it. First there are the rollerblades/inline skates and mine at the time were almost $400.00, then you have to buy wheels and bearings which can cost a good $100.00 every so many months, the sticks back then were a good $50.00 for the basic ones and the composites and such can easily run $100.00 and up each, then the gloves can be another $70.00 and up, then the shin guards, so that right there can easily be $900.00 - $1,000.00 for everything and that is being moderate because this stuff has to be replaced every so often and can be much more than what I've estimated.

Meanwhile with basketball you can just buy a basketball and look for a place that has hoops and you're done. Same thing with American football and soccer. Buy a football or a soccer ball and find a place with a field to play.

If you want to play ice hockey, that's even more expensive because aside from the equipment, you have to pay for ice time which can be very pricey.

As for watching the game, that's not cheap either. They don't show many games on TV until later on in the season and some playoff games. Hell they don't even televise the entire Stanley Cup on TV. If you really want to have access, you have pay for the NHL Center Ice (~$179.00) or Game Center package (~$119.00)

Meanwhile you can watch many of the American football games on NBC, FOX, or CBS for free.

No question the kid is good but they really need to calm down. They're treating him like he's some kind of God or something. Part of this is the NHL trying to prop up the sport and make it more popular. The NHL will never compete with other sports like basketball, American football and baseball, simply because you need money to afford it.

As for watching the game, that's not cheap either. They don't show many games on TV until later on in the season and some playoff games. Hell they don't even televise the entire Stanley Cup on TV. If you really want to have access, you have pay for the NHL Center Ice (~$179.00) or Game Center package (~$119.00)

Meanwhile you can watch many of the American football games on NBC, FOX, or CBS for free.

VG8 you damn lucky most of the Stanley Cup Finals are on a major US station such as NBC. As a kid growing up none of the Stanley Cup Playoffs/Finals games were on a *major* American station 'free' or cable for almost 20 years between 1976-1995. That even with the Islander dystany and the Gretzy/Messier Oiler super teams of the late 1980's. ESPN would carry a few games of the Finals in the late '80's and early '90's before becoming the main US home for NHL until around 2005. Plus Charles Dolan of Cablevision tried to create a rival national network to ESPN by securing US tv rights to the Stanley Cup in late '80's but failed and it went back by 1993 to ESPN for while. Hope VG8 you kept up in how like musical chairs, the NHL lacked a tv home for years.

Plus it was a travesty most of America missed out on watching maybe the best hockey team of all time, the Grezty/Messier Oilers.

So the NHL has come a long way in the US in terms of tv coverage of the Stanley Cup.

With this new 10 year contract with NBC, Versus as of January 1, 2012 becomes the NBC Sports Net and also starting this Spring (2012) all NHL playoff games will be shown either on NBC(free tv) NBC sports Net or USA Network. With rest of your comments VG8 you make valid points on why hockey will never be a top sport in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
So Denver should've never had an NHL team?

Actually the old Rockies (not the current mlb team) had descent attendence before they moved to Jersey in the early 1980's. Denver only lost the team now known as the Devils because their owners at that time went bankrupt.

Also the Avs had nearly a 10-year streak after they moved from Quebec of straight sell outs. It did help alot they won the Cup their first year out west in '96.

So Denver(is a craze town for the NFL Broncos and to certain degree the MLB Rockies) while not Toronto, Boston, Montreal, Detroit and Minnesota as hockey crazed towns is a good hockey town. They more popular than say the NBA Denver Nuggets.

Looks a committee that has studied realginment when the Trashers moved to Winnpeg has selected a new realignment/divisional alignment to take effect at start of next season in Oct. 2012. The NHL Board of Governors and the NHL players union is expected to 'rubber stamp' and approve the commitee plan for realignment.

NHL opts for four conferences

Eastern Conference

East 1: New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina and Washington

East II: Florida, Tampa, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa and Boston.

Western Conference

Central: Columbus, Detroit, Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis and Chicago

West: Phoenix, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary

This similar to the divison format the NHL had between 1981-1992 where the first two rounds of playoffs are within the division only. Then the division winners (i.e West vs Central East1 vs East2) met in the Cup Semifinals.

Then the West vs East winners met in the Cup Finals.

Looks a committee that has studied realginment when the Trashers moved to Winnpeg has selected a new realignment/divisional alignment to take effect at start of next season in Oct. 2012. The NHL Board of Governors and the NHL players union is expected to 'rubber stamp' and approve the commitee plan for realignment.

NHL opts for four conferences

Eastern Conference

East 1: New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Carolina and Washington

East II: Florida, Tampa, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa and Boston.

Western Conference

Central: Columbus, Detroit, Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis and Chicago

West: Phoenix, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary

This similar to the divison format the NHL had between 1981-1992 where the first two rounds of playoffs are within the division only. Then the division winners (i.e West vs Central East1 vs East2) met in the Cup Semifinals.

Then the West vs East winners met in the Cup Finals.

I don't like this new set up. I realize they needed to make changes because of travel and such, but why make 4 "conferences?" :mad: :tdown: Make 4 divisions and 2 conferences. :mad: Now only 4 teams can come out of each "conference". :P So far most fans don't like this. I also don't like this playing a ton of games in your conference crappola. They did this a few years back and it was ridiculous. You'd have Calgary playing Colorado like 3 times in less than 2 weeks.

I don't like this new set up. I realize they needed to make changes because of travel and such, but why make 4 "conferences?" :mad: :tdown: Make 4 divisions and 2 conferences. :mad: Now only 4 teams can come out of each "conference". :P So far most fans don't like this. I also don't like this playing a ton of games in your conference crappola. They did this a few years back and it was ridiculous. You'd have Calgary playing Colorado like 3 times in less than 2 weeks.

Agree. The league could have kept the current 6 division set-up and 2 conferences and just trade Winnpeg to the West in exchange for either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville & call it a day.:tdown:

Or if the NHL wanted to go to a new set-up this is what they should have done. In 1 division, called for instance the Eastern Conference North, the Rangers, Isles and Devils should be in same group with Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

While the Flyers, Pens, Caps be in a south division with the Hurricanes, Panthers and Lighting.

The West actually looks like a good and fair set-up IMO.

Agree. The league could have kept the current 6 division set-up and 2 conferences and just trade Winnpeg to the West in exchange for either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville & call it a day.:tdown:

Or if the NHL wanted to go to a new set-up this is what they should have done. In 1 division, called for instance the Eastern Conference North, the Rangers, Isles and Devils should be in same group with Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

While the Flyers, Pens, Caps be in a south division with the Hurricanes, Panthers and Lighting.

The West actually looks like a good and fair set-up IMO.

True, but the problem is they're also trying to avoid having no Canadian teams be alone in one "conference" thus forcing them to do a ton of traveling and crossing the Canadian border. And I disagree... Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Buffalo should be in the same "conference" because of the distance between those cities and travel.

True, but the problem is they're also trying to avoid having no Canadian teams be alone in one "conference" thus forcing them to do a ton of traveling and crossing the Canadian border. And I disagree... Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Buffalo should be in the same "conference" because of the distance between those cities and travel.

VG8 if you looked carefully i did leave Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Buffalo in "same conference." I suggested the NYC metro area teams i.e Rangers, Isles and devils should be in this division called the NHL North.

And now there a reason the two Fla. NHL clubs(Panthers and Lighting) were placed in this new division with the Habs, leafs, Sens and "baby Bills." I read several articles this morning from papers across the US and Canada, that a ton of people from Eastern Canada i.e Ontario and Quebec that visit Fla. during the heart of winter from Christmas/New Years-Early March.

When the Leafs, Sens and Habs play in Tampa or the Miami area (Panthers) those games are almost always sell outs.

So looks like money and politics was a huge factor in this planned realignment and not just geography/common sense. Personally I wish the current format stayed with the Jets going to the West and the Wings, Jackets or Preds going East. Some years some divisions are crappy and another may have 3-4 teams playoff worthy. Thus i wish Bettman and the NHL Owners kept this existing conference format which works for the NBA as well.:P

Do you want the Hartford Whalers back too?

clzty1tgf8glzas62fq6fyphr.gif

Yep, I sure do. I loved that logo. Hasn't been the same without the Whale since they moved to Carolina. Many folks out there want to the see the Whalers again in Hartford.

VG8 if you looked carefully i did leave Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Buffalo in "same conference." I suggested the NYC metro area teams i.e Rangers, Isles and devils should be in this division called the NHL North.

And now there a reason the two Fla. NHL clubs(Panthers and Lighting) were placed in this new division with the Habs, leafs, Sens and "baby Bills." I read several articles this morning from papers across the US and Canada, that a ton of people from Eastern Canada i.e Ontario and Quebec that visit Fla. during the heart of winter from Christmas/New Years-Early March.

When the Leafs, Sens and Habs play in Tampa or the Miami area (Panthers) those games are almost always sell outs.

So looks like money and politics was a huge factor in this planned realignment and not just geography/common sense. Personally I wish the current format stayed with the Jets going to the West and the Wings, Jackets or Preds going East. Some years some divisions are crappy and another may have 3-4 teams playoff worthy. Thus i wish Bettman and the NHL Owners kept this existing conference format which works for the NBA as well.:P

Sorry, I phrased that wrong... Meant to say that the Rangers, Isles and Devils shouldn't be in the same group with the other teams that you mentioned...

Yep, I sure do. I loved that logo. Hasn't been the same without the Whale since they moved to Carolina. Many folks out there want to the see the Whalers again in Hartford.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong... Meant to say that the Rangers, Isles and Devils shouldn't be in the same group with the other teams that you mentioned...

Why is that buddy? Based on geography the Flyers Pens and Caps could develop new rivals with the Fla. teams and Carolina. I read that under this new format all of the east and west even not in same 'division' or w/e it called now, would still play 4 games a season.

Years back the Rangers, Flyers and Bruins were in same division(post 1967 expansion era) and had among the most intense rivalries in pro sports during the 1970's.

Why is that buddy? Based on geography the Flyers Pens and Caps could develop new rivals with the Fla. teams and Carolina. I read that under this new format all of the east and west even not in same 'division' or w/e it called now, would still play 4 games a season.

Years back the Rangers, Flyers and Bruins were in same division(post 1967 expansion era) and had among the most intense rivalries in pro sports during the 1970's.

It goes back to travel. Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa and Toronto and closer to each other.

A must watch for hockey fans. Intresting segment from last night 12/10/11 comments with his comments of "Sid the Kid" comeback.

Well I think Cherry is right, but Crosby needs to stand up for himself or he'll get pushed around and roughed up. He does need to watch it though or someone is going to lay him out, so he needs to find a balance.

On that realignnment, it actually seems to harken back to the pre-1993 alignment with the Norris, Patrick, Smythe, and Adams Divisions.

Agreed. The new 'divisons' seem very similar to the pre-1993 set-up with those 'old NHL legends' used to name the divisions. The only major issue w/ this planned reaglinment is that the Fla. teams i.e Panthers and Lighting have a long road trip to Buffalo, New England(Bruins) Ontario (Leafs and Sens) & Montreal.

Logically the '3' NYC Metro teams should been in that group with Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa and Toronto.

ViaG, we don't agree on much....but on this we agree. Growing up in Hartford while they where there was great. I went to tons of games and they got kids who normally weren't into hockey interested in the game. It was really amazing to see how Hartford changed after they left. Yes we have great AHL team, but nothing will replace the Whalers.

Archived