Poverty on the rise in NYC; Staten Island only borough w/median income growth

Via Garibaldi 8

Source: Wall Street Journal

The financial downturn took a bite out of New York pocketbooks last year as incomes across the city fell by nearly 5%, according to Census data released Thursday.

Manhattan was the hardest hit: Median household income dropped by nearly 9% from the previous year, to $63,832, while mean income fell to $119,199 from $131,704. Only Staten Island saw an increase in median income.

Enlarge Image

No income group was immune, said Mark Mather, a demographer at Population Reference Bureau, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit research group. "There was a drop for those making $200,000 or more," he said. "That shows that there are people at the upper end who are also seeing declines."

New York City showed resiliency during the initial phases of the economic downturn, which affected other parts of the nation sooner. But in 2010, the fault lines in the city's economy began to widen, the data show, with the effects felt mainly among the poor.

"For the average person, this is a severe recession in New York City," said James Parrott, chief economist for the left-leaning Fiscal Policy Institute. "There's no getting around that."

The data come from the U.S. Census Bureau's annual American Community Survey, which polls people nationwide. The survey differs from the Census, the official count of the population done every 10 years.

One of the most startling developments in the ACS this year, experts said, is a rise of three percentage points in the childhood poverty level, which now stands at about 30% citywide and is even higher in the Bronx and in Brooklyn. A family of four making less than $22,314 a year—before the addition of any government assistance—is considered below the poverty line.

"Poverty among children is always higher than for a population as a whole. But it really comes out strongly in weak economic times," said Christopher Jones, vice president of research at the Regional Plan Association.

He highlighted the Bronx's child-poverty rate of 43%, which increased from 40% in 2009. Jilly Stephens, executive director of City Harvest, a group that provides food for needy New Yorkers, said her organization saw a 5% leap in demand last year.

The declines in income are reflected in several areas, Mr. Mather said. He pointed to a two-point jump in the percentage of renters who are spending 35% or more of their income on housing.

"Those with less income, those who are younger, have been hit harder," he said.

Income dropped as many laid-off New Yorkers found new, lower-paying jobs. For some, such as Manish Vora, that smaller paycheck was by choice.

Mr. Vora, 31 years old, worked on Wall Street for six years and earned a six-figure salary. He quit his job in 2008, before many of the financial-sector layoffs began, to start his own business. He now earns about one-tenth his old salary.

He weighed the cost of graduate school and opted to start a digital marketing business serving the art world. It's a route that has become more common among young urban professionals who are taking more risks in the shaky economy rather than working corporate jobs, Mr. Vora said.

"This is something that is going to set me up in the future," he said.

Others on the more fragile edges of the economy aren't necessarily living there by choice.

A disability has kept Bronx mother Marisol Deleon, 46, out of the job market for more than a decade. But she didn't go on food stamps until two years ago. She said she has been trying to help her children by sending them to college, but making the payments has strained her already-crunched budget.

Her oldest son is in a premedical program and was only able to get a part-time job working as a security guard, Ms. Deleon said. "He's trying to find work, and he can't find work. This is a bright young man," she said. "He's stressed, and I'm stressed."

Staten Island was the only borough to see a rise in median household income with a 4.8% rise to $70,560. Mr. Parrott, the economist, said the increase may be attributed to Staten Island's more stable middle-class population.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903791504576585191483768526.html

I guess this explains why most of the Staten Island express buses are still relatively full... We have the money to spend... :cool: I tell you, there is no question that most of the Bronx is really poor. What amazed me when going up through Riverdale on the express bus was just how poor many areas of the Bronx is and then you have wealthy areas like Riverdale, parts of Throgs Neck and perhaps City Island to some extent, but that's really about it. You have some upscale middle class areas like Morris Park and a few other areas, but most of the Bronx is terrible in terms of the poverty. I have to admit that it was quite depressing going through those areas on the express bus. I'm sort of wondering if I could get used to that everyday living there in Riverdale and passing through that. :eek: The again, I pass through Mariners' Harbor and Port Richmond everyday on the express bus to get to and from West Brighton...

No way are Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor comparable to the South Bronx, especially down by Forest Avenue.

In terms of poverty, the South Bronx obviously has the poorest neighborhoods, but none of the other areas really have it that bad. The Northeast Bronx (Wakefield, Williamsbridge, etc) has a somewhat high crime rate, but the poverty rate is roughly the same as the overall poverty rate. The eastern Bronx (Country Club, Throgs Neck, etc) barely has any poverty problems, and in the northwest Bronx, you have Kingsbridge, which is similar to the Northeast Bronx in terms of poverty, and the rest is basically Riverdale. I guess you can consider Morris Park part of the eastern Bronx, even though geographically, it's more northeast.

But of course, a newspaper can cherry pick its facts just to prove a point. In terms of both per capita income and mean household income, Manhattan wins by a landslide. In terms of the lowest poverty rate and highest median income, Staten Island wins, and in terms of the lowest gap between the rich and the poor, Queens wins (SI is second).

I mean, you have to consider a bunch of facts: Manhattan has a lot of college students that are bringing down the median income, and it also has more singles (married couples make more income when put together, but seperately, Manhattan residents make more)

No way are Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor comparable to the South Bronx, especially down by Forest Avenue.

In terms of poverty, the South Bronx obviously has the poorest neighborhoods, but none of the other areas really have it that bad. The Northeast Bronx (Wakefield, Williamsbridge, etc) has a somewhat high crime rate, but the poverty rate is roughly the same as the overall poverty rate. The eastern Bronx (Country Club, Throgs Neck, etc) barely has any poverty problems, and in the northwest Bronx, you have Kingsbridge, which is similar to the Northeast Bronx in terms of poverty, and the rest is basically Riverdale. I guess you can consider Morris Park part of the eastern Bronx, even though geographically, it's more northeast.

But of course, a newspaper can cherry pick its facts just to prove a point. In terms of both per capita income and mean household income, Manhattan wins by a landslide. In terms of the lowest poverty rate and highest median income, Staten Island wins, and in terms of the lowest gap between the rich and the poor, Queens wins (SI is second).

I mean, you have to consider a bunch of facts: Manhattan has a lot of college students that are bringing down the median income, and it also has more singles (married couples make more income when put together, but seperately, Manhattan residents make more)

Yeah well I know all about the Country Club and Throgs Neck too... Why do you think I got an BxM9 destination sign for? :P Aside from Riverdale, which is the wealthiest area of the Bronx, the Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island and Morris Park are quite nice and relatively affluent. Morris Park is more North East since it is near Montefiore and other hospitals. As for Port Richmond above Forest Avenue, that area is well to do, but I don't think of it as Port Richmond. It really should be renamed or something. You could consider some parts as parts of Willowbrook. I went up Decker Avenue the other morning above Forest on my way to the X17J and those houses are very nice and well kept. Manicured lawns and such. Not Port Richmond IMO, esp. not if you walk down Port Richmond Ave. below Forest. :eek: That's more like Westerleigh IMO.

And any way you slice it, Staten Island overall is an affluent suburb. What brings us down are the projects with those pockets all about. :P

I live in the South Bronx and this are articular is just picky, Sure there are people living below poverty line but most of them are living throw subsidized rent and food stamp that most of them live ok to support there family's, whats weird is that I see more people out on the street in Manhattan then in the Bronx.

I live and the South Bronx and this are articular is just picky, Sure there are people living below poverty line but most of them are living throw subsidized rent and food stamp that most of them live ok support there family's, whats weird is that I see more people out on the street in Manhattan then in the Bronx.

I don't know about that... I mean coming up through Inwood and then through Kingsbridge and those areas on the way to and from Riverdale on the express bus, those areas screamed poor. Just dirty looking and too many apartment buildings too, which doesn't help. I mean unless you've got condos or co-ops about, it is hard to keep those places clean with that many people living about. What's sad is that all of the Bronx gets a bad rap because of the South Bronx in particular. The really good areas are few and far in between and I'm sure when folks think of Riverdale, they don't realize that it is in the Bronx. I kid you not, the first time I took the BxM10 to Morris Park to visit a co-worker for a BBQ, I couldn't believe that I was in the Bronx. I said, holy sh*t, there are tree lined streets w/houses and it is quiet. No gun shots and such. ;) Quite ignorant of me I know, but you have to go so far north before you get to the good parts, that I guess many folks just give up.

When we passed say about 230 something street and made that little turn around that curve on Riverdale Avenue going uphill on the BxM2, the whole area just changed. Suddenly there were nice little small businesses about and you could tell that you were in a nice middle class neighborhood. That's why I like Riverdale. Some parts scream wealth and class and others are just charming. :cool:

Yeah well I know all about the Country Club and Throgs Neck too... Why do you think I got an BxM9 destination sign for? ;) Aside from Riverdale, which is the wealthiest area of the Bronx, the Country Club, Throgs Neck, City Island and Morris Park are quite nice and relatively affluent. Morris Park is more North East since it is near Montefiore and other hospitals. As for Port Richmond above Forest Avenue, that area is well to do, but I don't think of it as Port Richmond. It really should be renamed or something. You could consider some parts as parts of Willowbrook. I went up Decker Avenue the other morning above Forest on my way to the X17J and those houses are very nice and well kept. Manicured lawns and such. Not Port Richmond IMO, esp. not if you walk down Port Richmond Ave. below Forest. :eek: That's more like Westerleigh IMO.

And any way you slice it, Staten Island overall is an affluent suburb. What brings us down are the projects with those pockets all about. ;)

Port Richmond doesn't go south of Forest Avenue (or "above" Forest Avenue as you like to say, which doesn't make sense because you usually think of "up" when you say north, but whatever...)

South of Forest Avenue is Westerleigh, and north of Forest Avenue is Port Richmond. Willowbrook is nowhere near there.

And I wasn't even referring to the areas south of Forest Avenue. I'm talking about the areas north of Forest Avenue. Are they Todt Hill nice? No. Are the reasonably nice? Yes. You don't see any abandoned homes or anything. Then again, you wouldn't know because you don't go there (and passing through on the X30 doesn't count)

Look at this area (Mariners' Harbor). I've walked through there plenty of times and never had a problem (I picked a random address I happened to see). It looks fairly well maintained (and since you brought up stats first, the median income there is right around the median income of NYC overall)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=gsih&cp=45&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=307+Union+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+NY&qe=MzA3IFVuaW9uIEF2ZW51ZSwgU3RhdGVuIElzbGFuZCwgTmV3IFlvcmssIE5Z&qesig=OttP-aU-EvegU4_5DS6Ryg&pkc=AFgZ2tnGwikn2KMpnQcA_2YNABbS6R6LzEfKqfQuGEzXEiOzbtnR5ML88XxJEc4nW5BK879kyWB1r3uUjySqMcops_CQ_9JWWw&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=619&wrapid=tljp131680340464100&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl (I had problems posting it so you'll have to click on the link to see it)

Port Richmond doesn't go south of Forest Avenue (or "above" Forest Avenue as you like to say, which doesn't make sense because you usually think of "up" when you say north, but whatever...)

South of Forest Avenue is Westerleigh, and north of Forest Avenue is Port Richmond. Willowbrook is nowhere near there.

And I wasn't even referring to the areas south of Forest Avenue. I'm talking about the areas north of Forest Avenue. Are they Todt Hill nice? No. Are the reasonably nice? Yes. You don't see any abandoned homes or anything. Then again, you wouldn't know because you don't go there (and passing through on the X30 doesn't count)

Look at this area (Mariners' Harbor). I've walked through there plenty of times and never had a problem (I picked a random address I happened to see). It looks fairly well maintained (and since you brought up stats first, the median income there is right around the median income of NYC overall)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=gsih&cp=45&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=307+Union+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+New+York,+NY&qe=MzA3IFVuaW9uIEF2ZW51ZSwgU3RhdGVuIElzbGFuZCwgTmV3IFlvcmssIE5Z&qesig=OttP-aU-EvegU4_5DS6Ryg&pkc=AFgZ2tnGwikn2KMpnQcA_2YNABbS6R6LzEfKqfQuGEzXEiOzbtnR5ML88XxJEc4nW5BK879kyWB1r3uUjySqMcops_CQ_9JWWw&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=619&wrapid=tljp131680340464100&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl (I had problems posting it so you'll have to click on the link to see it)

You're getting confused because I mentioned Decker Avenue, but Willowbrook is indeed ABOVE or south of Forest Avenue and here is a wiki link to prove it. I know my geography Mr. Transit ;).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willowbrook,_Staten_Island

As for that house, yeah I've seen houses like that in Mariners' Harbor. I'm still not phased. Something about that area just doesn't sit with me. Perhaps part of it is all of those gas stations and mechanic places. Those places are usually in run down areas and what makes it worse is how often Mariners' Harbor is in the news and usually always for violence. I'm sure you heard of the little baby that was shot in the head and lost an eye over there by those projects. Kid got shot over a stupid dispute. I'm sorry but they're like animals over there and no I would never walk over there either. Luckily for me the X30 has never broken down there and if it did I would stay on it until another one came or car service came. :eek:

As for Port Richmond, I did walk along Port Richmond Avenue and I'll never do that again. Talk about poverty and run down houses. All I kept thinking was I've got to get to Forest Avenue and fast! :eek: :eek: Called myself going for a walk... ;)

I don't know about that... I mean coming up through Inwood and then through Kingsbridge and those areas on the way to and from Riverdale on the express bus, those areas screamed poor. Just dirty looking and too many apartment buildings too, which doesn't help. I mean unless you've got condos or co-ops about, it is hard to keep those places clean with that many people living about. What's sad is that all of the Bronx gets a bad rap because of the South Bronx in particular. The really good areas are few and far in between and I'm sure when folks think of Riverdale, they don't realize that it is in the Bronx. I kid you not, the first time I took the BxM10 to Morris Park to visit a co-worker for a BBQ, I couldn't believe that I was in the Bronx. I said, holy sh*t, there are tree lined streets w/houses and it is quiet. No gun shots and such. ;) Quite ignorant of me I know, but you have to go so far north before you get to the good parts, that I guess many folks just give up.

When we passed say about 230 something street and made that little turn around that curve on Riverdale Avenue going uphill on the BxM2, the whole area just changed. Suddenly there were nice little small businesses about and you could tell that you were in a nice middle class neighborhood. That's why I like Riverdale. Some parts scream wealth and class and others are just charming. :cool:

Riverdale has always been that way, they don't like to associate with the Bronx because of it past and present ,they like to imagine is Westchester lol.

Anyways you shouldn't judge a place by a bus window or newspaper, you should look for yourself. but it your opinion Via Garibaldi 8 and I respect that.

Riverdale has always been that way, they don't like to associate with the Bronx because of it past and present ,they like to imagine is Westchester lol.

Anyways you shouldn't judge a place by a bus window or newspaper, you should look for yourself. but it your opinion Via Garibaldi 8 and I respect that.

lol... Yeah, well Riverdale feels more like Westchester... As far as experiencing goes, I think I would rather pass through those areas on the express bus. Riverdale and those areas I will be looking for myself because I do plan on moving up there, which is still insane. I never ever considered the Bronx as a place that I would be calling home... Pretty funny, but hey it is Riverdale, so it's worth moving there. :cool:

1) You're getting confused because I mentioned Decker Avenue, but Willowbrook is indeed ABOVE or south of Forest Avenue and here is a wiki link to prove it. I know my geography Mr. Transit ;).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willowbrook,_Staten_Island

As for that house, yeah I've seen houses like that in Mariners' Harbor. I'm still not phased. Something about that area just doesn't sit with me. Perhaps part of it is all of those gas stations and mechanic places. Those places are usually in run down areas and what makes it worse is how often Mariners' Harbor is in the news and usually always for violence. I'm sure you heard of the little baby that was shot in the head and lost an eye over there by those projects. Kid got shot over a stupid dispute. I'm sorry but they're like animals over there and no I would never walk over there either. Luckily for me the X30 has never broken down there and if it did I would stay on it until another one came or car service came. :eek:

As for Port Richmond, I did walk along Port Richmond Avenue and I'll never do that again. Talk about poverty and run down houses. All I kept thinking was I've got to get to Forest Avenue and fast! :eek: :eek: Called myself going for a walk... ;)

Well, to me, Willowbrook doesn't go any further north than Watchogue Road. After that you're in Westerleigh (And when I think of Watchogue Road, I consider it more Westerleigh than Willowbrook). And I actually didn't even see the part about Decker Avenue, but that is actually a neighborhood called "Port Richmond Center" or "Upper Port Richmond".

And the SI Advance made a map of the neighborhoods of SI (at least how they list them in the news): http://www.silive.com/guide/index.ssf/2010/04/communities_of_staten_island_maps_show_traditional_boundaries_of_the_areas_we_call_home.html and I pretty much agree with its boundaries.

And Mariners' Harbor isn't in the news that often for violence. And most of the crimes occur in specific sections of the neighborhood (most of them are north of the train tracks and in the immediate area around the projects). And the baby girl was shot in Arlington (which is north of the train tracks and is considered a seperate neighborhood from Mariners' Harbor). And Arlington has no projects per se: Just some buildings down on Holland Avenue.

Different neighborhoods have different sections. For example, East NY has Starrett City, Cypress Hills, and City Line, which are the more stable sections, and then it has the New Lots section which is where there's more crime (not implying that the other 3 sections don't have any crime). It's the same thing in Mariners' Harbor: More crime occurs north of the train tracks.

Of course, I'm not saying Arlington has the same crime rate as New Lots.

As far as Port Richmond goes, I've been to that area plenty of times and again, never had a problem. I've even been in the northern section after dark (to go to the Port Richmond Library and also sometimes to transfer from the S59 to the S53) and never had any problems. Is the northern section particularly safe? No, but pretty much everything south of say, Walker Street is safe.

It's exaggeration like that that stopped me from going on SILive. They act like any area that isn't predominantly White is a bad area (and their stories on other topics are equally exaggerated)

Well, to me, Willowbrook doesn't go any further north than Watchogue Road. After that you're in Westerleigh (And when I think of Watchogue Road, I consider it more Westerleigh than Willowbrook). And I actually didn't even see the part about Decker Avenue, but that is actually a neighborhood called "Port Richmond Center" or "Upper Port Richmond".

LOL@Upper Port Richmond... ;) Never heard that one before or Port Richmond Center either...

And Mariners' Harbor isn't in the news that often for violence. And most of the crimes occur in specific sections of the neighborhood (most of them are north of the train tracks and in the immediate area around the projects). And the baby girl was shot in Arlington (which is north of the train tracks and is considered a seperate neighborhood from Mariners' Harbor). And Arlington has no projects per se: Just some buildings down on Holland Avenue.

Arlington... Mariners' Harbor... Same sh*t to me... It's all over there in the Northwestern part of the island anyway... One big DUMP. ;) If I didn't know any better I would've guessed that they had the former landfill over there somewhere instead of it being further south.

Of course, I'm not saying Arlington has the same crime rate as New Lots.

Hell, even that black lady Debbie Rose admits to the constant gun problems and violence over there. Who are you kidding? She was just on the news the other day talking about it, as were many of the residents who live there who complain about crime over there and shootings. Hell they just had a gun buyback program last weekend... Where??? Port Richmond. They think that crime could be curbed there and in Mariners' Harbor/Arlington by having those sorts of events. We would never have something like that in West Brighton, as we don't have those problems and those projects down there past Forest don't count as part of West Brighton IMO. That's a whole different area over there. Just using our name, but that is certainly not the affluent West Brighton that I know.

As far as Port Richmond goes, I've been to that area plenty of times and again, never had a problem. I've even been in the northern section after dark (to go to the Port Richmond Library and also sometimes to transfer from the S59 to the S53) and never had any problems. Is the northern section particularly safe? No, but pretty much everything south of say, Walker Street is safe.

It's exaggeration like that that stopped me from going on SILive. They act like any area that isn't predominantly White is a bad area (and their stories on other topics are equally exaggerated)

LOL... Well I think they've got a point... I mean the South Shore has VERY low crime rates, as do all areas where there isn't low income housing or projects. Westerleigh is very well to do, as is West Brighton near or above Forest Avenue of course and both are talked about in the news and considered as good neighborhoods on NY1. :cool::tup: I do get a little irritated when they try to prop up the South Shore as if ALL areas on the North Shore are bad because that is not true. It's just select areas. What is interesting though is they do sort of report on certain areas a lot on NY1. West Brighton is the news a lot for good things and if we do have some sort of crime pop up (which is rare), they do sort of mention it as if it is not the norm. You know how they do it on the South Shore. They have someone get on TV and say "Oh this is a VERY safe neighborhood. We don't have these types of problem here on the South Shore". LMAO

And when it is something like a drug problem, which is certainly rampid on the South Shore, they'll just refer to all of Staten Island as having the problem. ;)

1) LOL@Upper Port Richmond... ;) Never heard that one before or Port Richmond Center either...

2) Arlington... Mariners' Harbor... Same sh*t to me... It's all over there in the Northwestern part of the island anyway... One big DUMP. ;) If I didn't know any better I would've guessed that they had the former landfill over there somewhere instead of it being further south.

3) Hell, even that black lady Debbie Rose admits to the constant gun problems and violence over there. Who are you kidding? She was just on the news the other day talking about it, as were many of the residents who live there who complain about crime over there and shootings. Hell they just had a gun buyback program last weekend... Where??? Port Richmond. They think that crime could be curbed there and in Mariners' Harbor/Arlington by having those sorts of events. We would never have something like that in West Brighton, as we don't have those problems and those projects down there past Forest don't count as part of West Brighton IMO. That's a whole different area over there. Just using our name, but that is certainly not the affluent West Brighton that I know.

4) LOL... Well I think they've got a point... I mean the South Shore has VERY low crime rates, as do all areas where there isn't low income housing or projects. Westerleigh is very well to do, as is West Brighton near or above Forest Avenue of course and both are talked about in the news and considered as good neighborhoods on NY1. :cool::tup: I do get a little irritated when they try to prop up the South Shore as if ALL areas on the North Shore are bad because that is not true. It's just select areas. What is interesting though is they do sort of report on certain areas a lot on NY1. West Brighton is the news a lot for good things and if we do have some sort of crime pop up (which is rare), they do sort of mention it as if it is not the norm. You know how they do it on the South Shore. They have someone get on TV and say "Oh this is VERY safe neighborhood". We don't have these types of problem here on the South Shore". LMAO

And when it is something like a drug problem, which is certainly rampid on the South Shore, they'll just refer to all of Staten Island as having the problem. ;)

1) It's on that map of neighborhoods I posted. If you think about it, it's not Westerleigh and not Port Richmond, so it's pretty much a seperate neighborhood.

2) Well, maybe it's you, because I definitely feel a difference when I'm walking in Arlington compared to walking in Mariners' Harbor proper. But of course, you've never walked in those areas so you wouldn't know.

3) Hmmm. Do you think maybe it's because she wants to appear as a hero? It's easier to take the bad reputation of the North Shore and blow it out of proportion, and then when you leave office, you can say "Look at how low the crime rate is" when it wasn't high to begin with.

4) There's always going to be people defending their neighborhoods. On the radio, I remember there was a woman saying how Morris Heights in The Bronx was very safe (though on the South Shore, we all know it's safe).

I don't know what else to say. The media loves to hype up the crime on the North Shore and suckers like you are buying it all up. ;)

3) Hmmm. Do you think maybe it's because she wants to appear as a hero? It's easier to take the bad reputation of the North Shore and blow it out of proportion, and then when you leave office, you can say "Look at how low the crime rate is" when it wasn't high to begin with.

A hero!?!?!? LMAO... She is just as WORTHLESS as McMahon was and if I had my way her @ss would be out! :mad: I didn't vote her in but she has done nothing but yack. She yacked about fighting to keep the X16, talking about how Forest Avenue heavily depends on the X16 and you see where that went. ;) :mad: That alone makes me want her to resign. Rest assured though, just like we voted McMahon out, her @ss will be out come next term, assuming I'm still on Staten Island of course. I haven't seen one thing that she has accomplished since she has been in office but lip service.

4) I don't know what else to say. The media loves to hype up the crime on the North Shore and suckers like you are buying it all up. ;)

Oh please they don't hype up anything. They only report what is there and crime is rampid in areas like Stapleton, Mariners' Harbor, etc., which is why they're in the news when something happens.

1) A hero!?!?!? LMAO... She is just as WORTHLESS as McMahon was and if I had my way her @ss would be out! :mad: I didn't vote her in but she has done nothing but yack. She yacked about fighting to keep the X16, talking about how Forest Avenue heavily depends on the X16 and you see where that went. ;) :mad: That alone makes me want her to resign. Rest assured though, just like we voted McMahon out, her @ss will be out come next term, assuming I'm still on Staten Island of course. I haven't seen one thing that she has accomplished since she has been in office but lip service.

2) Oh please they don't hype up anything. They only report what is there and crime is rampid in areas like Stapleton, Mariners' Harbor, etc., which is why they're in the news when something happens.

1) I'm just saying she wants to appear that way. Whether it works is a different story.

2) Let me give you an analogy: You say you hate it when they report crime by the West Brighton Houses because it makes it look like your part of West Brighton is bad. It's the same thing in Mariners' Harbor to a lesser extent. The nicer parts down by Forest Avenue are getting a bad reputation because of the stuff that happens further north and west.

The next time you hear of a crime, type in the location where it occurred. I guarantee you that most of the crimes will be north of the train tracks (at least in the Mariner's Harbor area).

Plus, look on that map. Mariners' Harbor is huge. Larger area = more people = more crime. You do the math.

1) I'm just saying she wants to appear that way. Whether it works is a different story.

2) Let me give you an analogy: You say you hate it when they report crime by the West Brighton Houses because it makes it look like your part of West Brighton is bad. It's the same thing in Mariners' Harbor to a lesser extent. The nicer parts down by Forest Avenue are getting a bad reputation because of the stuff that happens further north and west.

The next time you hear of a crime, type in the location where it occurred. I guarantee you that most of the crimes will be north of the train tracks (at least in the Mariner's Harbor area).

Plus, look on that map. Mariners' Harbor is huge. Larger area = more people = more crime. You do the math.

Oh please.... Mariners' Harbor can't be any bigger than West Brighton, so that's a poor excuse... Aside from that like I said, I doubt anyone really confuses those projects with the more affluent parts of West Brighton. I know I certainly don't. That is not a part of my neighborhood. :mad: :tdown: lol

Oh please.... Mariners' Harbor can't be any bigger than West Brighton, so that's a poor excuse... Aside from that like I said, I doubt anyone really confuses those projects with the more affluent parts of West Brighton. I know I certainly don't. That is not a part of my neighborhood. :mad: :tdown: lol

Well, a small detail is that Mariners' Harbor south of Forest Avenue (according to their definition anyway, since many people consider that area to be part of Graniteville) is slightly poorer and has slightly more crime than West Brighton south of Forest Avenue.

Of course, that area is very safe (just making up random numbers, but West Brighton would be like a 3 out of 100 in terms of crime, Graniteville would be a 5, and Mariners' Harbor would be like a 10, with Arlington would be around a 20)

And like I said (for like the 5th time), the crime is concentrated in specific sections of Mariners' Harbor, and it makes the whole area look bad. I don't pay attention to the news, but you probably hear about crime by the projects and it makes all of West Brighton look bad (because you hear a lot of crimes reported).

I'm not debating which is worse (West Brighton projects vs. Mariners' Harbor projects, though personally I feel safer by the Mariners' Harbor ones) because I don't have the stats (they're both in the 120th precinct, though the 121st is coming along nicely across from ShopRite) and it's irrelevant.

And believe it or not, I thought all of West Brighton revolved around the projects until I visited the area more often, because that was the first part of West Brighton I saw.

I would love to see ZSA ZSA trapped in a PJ in ENY or the BX....Then see you scream your brains while running away from peeps in your polo gear .

Why have you come to my planet ZSA ZSA ....You are high Maintenance and need to be taken down a peg or 2.

Why has the Forums Staff even let this one slip by?? I'd rather hear about EE's weather reports then this.....Whats next ---Which PJ has better elevators?

Your a piece of Spam I swear

And like I said (for like the 5th time), the crime is concentrated in specific sections of Mariners' Harbor, and it makes the whole area look bad. I don't pay attention to the news, but you probably hear about crime by the projects and it makes all of West Brighton look bad (because you hear a lot of crimes reported).

If you say so, but I beg to differ...

Your a piece of Spam I swear

Poverty in NYC is certainly a relevant topic... I guess we could talk about a certain scemo... ;)

Hey bens deli....I've been down the Food Stamp route ,I've been down the Welfare route and I've never forgot where I came from .

I have a heart for those who are poor and I'm not happy at all that this thread is up so let me explain something to you and I want your full Attention on this....Your an a**holee who needs to get whipped punched smacked up to realize that you need to stay in your lane and buddy this is way on the off ramp so shut the hell up about things that need no addressing and this is one of them .

PS...This is coming from a person that has more in life and who makes more then you so go find a chick and go to the park or something cuz your pissing the wrong people off .....And you will be put in your place ,...you got my word

If you say so, but I beg to differ...

You have the stats? ;)

I remember on city-data, a person from Port Richmond mentioned he found a website that has the crime rate for each census tract, but he couldn't remember it. We were debating on whether the projects in SI were fairly equal in terms of crime (aside from the ones south of the SIE), and he brought it up.

And he agreed with me that the Elm Park/eastern Mariners' Harbor area (south of the train tracks) was reasonably safe. (And he lives in an area you would deem "hood", so he should know what he's talking about).

Can we at least agree that there are different levels of "hoodiness"? The area I posted the Google Map image of is much better than the area around the Stapleton Houses.

Anyway, since the original topic was income and poverty levels, here is a map of them on SI:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Staten-Island-Staten-Island-NY.html

The racial data is somewhat outdated, but the income data seems accurate. Since we're talking about Mariners' Harbor, the median household income is $56,401, and the poverty rate is 16%. Compare it to the sections where I claim there's more crime (the ones bordering it on the north and west).

The poverty rates are 36% by the projects, 26% in Arlington, and 25% north of the train tracks, compared to the area that I described, where it's only 16% (and coincidentally, it's 16% in your census tract as well. ;) )

You have the stats? ;)

I remember on city-data, a person from Port Richmond mentioned he found a website that has the crime rate for each census tract, but he couldn't remember it. We were debating on whether the projects in SI were fairly equal in terms of crime (aside from the ones south of the SIE), and he brought it up.

And he agreed with me that the Elm Park/eastern Mariners' Harbor area (south of the train tracks) was reasonably safe. (And he lives in an area you would deem "hood", so he should know what he's talking about).

Can we at least agree that there are different levels of "hoodiness"? The area I posted the Google Map image of is much better than the area around the Stapleton Houses.

Well yeah no question about that...

Hey bens deli....I've been down the Food Stamp route ,I've been down the Welfare route and I've never forgot where I came from .

I have a heart for those who are poor and I'm not happy at all that this thread is up so let me explain something to you and I want your full Attention on this....Your an a**holee who needs to get whipped punched smacked up to realize that you need to stay in your lane and buddy this is way on the off ramp so shut the hell up about things that need no addressing and this is one of them .

PS...This is coming from a person that has more in life and who makes more then you so go find a chick and go to the park or something cuz your pissing the wrong people off .....And you will be put in your place ,...you got my word

Oh whatever... :( I didn't publish the article... You need to relax. We're in a recession and it is interesting to see how the recession is affecting some for the better and some for the worse. I don't see anything offensive about talking about poverty.

Archived