September 2011 Committee Changes

Amtrak7

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110926_1115_BUS.pdf

PDF page 79

-Reroute northbound Q40 to match southbound Q40 along 143 St Jan 2012

-Move Q65 terminal to 14 Rd/110 St, eliminate diversion to 14 Av Dec 2011

-M34 SBS November 2011. M16 renamed M34A, M34 is SBS only, SBS uses wrapped NG's, no fare machines at stops close to termini.

Too bad they didn't post the "Evaluation of the 2010 Service Reductions" that is to be distributed.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the M16 is being re-labeled to the M34A and it's also having SBS implemented. Interesting.

According to the document, there's gonna be no change in service at all. The M34/M34A SBS will have the same schedule and operating hours as the current M16/M34.

'Tis interesting that they're gonna be using regular Orion VII NGs.

So the M16 is being re-labeled to the M34A and it's also having SBS implemented. Interesting.

According to the document, there's gonna be no change in service at all. The M34/M34A SBS will have the same schedule and operating hours as the current M16/M34.

'Tis interesting that they're gonna be using regular Orion VII NGs.

Wait, unless I'm misreading the file, it appears there'll be SBS machines at some former M16-only stops only.

Wait, unless I'm misreading the file, it appears there'll be SBS machines at some former M16-only stops only.

You're not misreading it. The M16/M34A will also be receving SBS. [unless I'm being a huge derp and misreading this myself...] Interestingly, the M16 on 2nd Ave runs alongside the M15 SBS, and they're gonna be sharing a stop at 2nd Av and 28th St, I wonder how that'll work out with tickets and stuff.

I would've just left the M16 as is

I've been thinking about it, and to be honest, I think it would make the most sense to make both SBS, seeing as how short they are. At least the (MTA)kinda considered the option of having both:

M34SBSalternatives.png

How would a 40' two-door bus work in +SBS?

The same way the two-door New Flyer artics did when they were used on the Bx12 SBS.... enter through either door...

wait a second...

they got rid of the q101r, q19a, q19b, q65a, bxm7a/b, bxm4a/b, [x27/28 a/b], qm1a, and JUST

recently, the qm2a notations.... all that, to then want to rename the M16 to the M34a, for the purpose of +SBS+ ????

Would it kill em to just throw +SBS+ on the M34 & leave the M16 notation alone.... talk about waste on so many levels... I'm also baffled at this particular renaming....

Relabeling the M16 to the M34A?!?!?!?

Completely stupid.

The explanation I heard was that the fare machines can accommodate only one route number (e.g. "SBS34"), so both branches have to be called M34.

Of course, a provision will have to be made for SBS tickets to be interchangeable at 2nd Avenue & 28th Street (shared M15 and M34A stop). I would also make them interchangeable at 34th & 2nd and 34th & 1st as an extra allowance against malfunction.

The explanation I heard was that the fare machines can accommodate only one route number (e.g. "SBS34"), so both branches have to be called M34.

Of course, a provision will have to be made for SBS tickets to be interchangeable at 2nd Avenue & 28th Street (shared M15 and M34A stop). I would also make them interchangeable at 34th & 2nd and 34th & 1st as an extra allowance against malfunction.

Did I miss something here? Only the M34 is going to be accepting tickets. The M16/34A will still have standard farebox boarding right? So then why would it matter?

I think the (MTA) likes confusion. Here's a straight forward plan to help overcrowding on a very busy crosstown route, and they want to screw it up by changing a route designation thats going to throw people off? Do they not realize that some people get confused on the M16 as is when its approaching 2nd Ave and the driver has to make that announcement?

Did I miss something here? Only the M34 is going to be accepting tickets. The M16/34A will still have standard farebox boarding right?

Yes, you did miss something here.

The non-confusing statement in the middle of page 87 of the linked document says very clearly, "This service, which will be called M34 Select Bus Service (SBS), will replace M34 and M16 service" (emphasis added).

I think the (MTA) likes confusion. Here's a straight forward plan to help overcrowding on a very busy crosstown route, and they want to screw it up by changing a route designation thats going to throw people off? Do they not realize that some people get confused on the M16 as is when its approaching 2nd Ave and the driver has to make that announcement?

People have brains, so asking them to use those brains isn't too much of a stretch.

I find that some folks actually enjoy being confused (or at least pretending to be confused). It makes a great excuse for not reading signs, and it gives them something to complain about.

Did I miss something here?

Yes, you did.

Only the M34 is going to be accepting tickets. The M16/34A will still have standard farebox boarding right?
No it's not. The M16/M34A will also be using the ticket machines alongside the M34.

M34SBSalternatives.png

So then why does it matter?
It matters because the M16/M34A SBS is going to be sharing a stop with the M15 SBS at 2nd Av and 28th St, and I think they're also going to be sharing the 2nd Av & 34th St stop too, so something's gonna have to be done to allow the two SBS routes to co-exist at those stops.

EDIT: Aww crap, Gotham Bus Co. Ninja'd me ;)

hence why M16 is now M34a

So let me get this straight, it's pretty much two SBS routes....right?

Yeah, it looks like the M16 and M34 will both have the POP system.

One thing to note is that the stops just before the last stop won't have fare machines. Although a handful of riders will get a free ride, the cost to maintain the fare machines isn't worth it.

Westbound:

11th Avenue/34th Street (M34)

8th Avenue/37th Street (M16)

8th Avenue/40th Street (M16)

Eastbound:

23rd Street/1st Avenue (M16)

23rd Street/Avenue C (M16)

34th Street/1st Avenue (M34)

Too bad they didn't post the "Evaluation of the 2010 Service Reductions" that is to be distributed.

Might a FOIA request be in order? :P

Hopefully, they'll make a mention of it at the meeting and we'll be able to watch it on video.

Archived