Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Gorgor

M15 SBS running red lights?

I'm pretty sure that they're not supposed to, but a few days ago this happened between 57th and 67th on 1st. Just as we were pulling away from 57th the light at 58th started to change, but instead of the driver applying the brakes, it felt like she floored it and ended up passing the light about 1-2 seconds after it was red; blatantly running a red. This continued up all the way until 65th or so when we gained enough speed and started going through the lights when they were still yellow. This was in the lane right next to the bus lane, and at one point she had to honk pedestrians who already started to cross the street when they had a walk signal. I was just holding on with both hands, anticipating her to floor the brakes, but she just kept running the reds.

I guess she was making up for the lack of bus signal priority? ;)

...And you're worried about this because...?

Well first of all she nearly hit someone who was crossing who had the light, and she's also putting everyone's lives at risk because a car on a cross street who has a green light could easily shoot off and crash into the bus.

Well first of all she nearly hit someone who was crossing who had the light, and she's also putting everyone's lives at risk because a car on a cross street who has a green light could easily shoot off and crash into the bus.

Did she at least honk as she passed the intersections, so a car didn't T-bone her?

I mean, you could probably hear the engine, and there is a delay feature built into most traffic lights (the light turns red, and then for 2 seconds, it's red for everybody before it changes for the cross street), but it's still nice as a safety precaution.

From my experience, many NYCT, MTA Bus, Bee-Line buses cannot make it on time depends on speed.

I have been on M1 jump red when it changed immediately from yellow to red.

When M79 and M86 caught on red light after crossing first portion of Park Av, they have to cross.

I remember one of M79 Westbound caught on red light at Park Av and he has to wait, which force Park Av drivers impatient.

I have seen all other bus routes across NY Metropolitan Region.

I'm sure that there's no need to floor the gas when the bus is pulling out of the stop at 5mph and the light up ahead turns yellow.

And I care because this is definitely a safety issue and she nearly ran over somebody when she ran a red. And this isn't the typical light turns red right as the bus goes through, the light would turn red while the bus was in the middle of the block, and the cars in the other lanes would practically be stopped already when the bus came barreling through on the right side at 30mph. She wasn't even using the bus lane, which was perfectly clear.

LOL... Since we're talking about the M15 SBS, what ever happened with the flashing blue lights? For a while it was said that the (MTA) couldn't use those flashing blue light lights because that was only supposed to be for emergency vehicles, but then it's like the story disappeared as if it never happened. Me personally, I don't see the need for them. Isn't the signage sufficient enough?? :confused:

If they're not doing it every moment, no one got hurt, then no harm no foul.

Smh... this was the completely wrong place for me to post this. If this was a truck driver or a regular car running those reds you guys would be all on him saying how it's dangerous or how he could've killed someone, but now to you guys this bus driver is a hero. This is just sad.

the first light she passed probably because she didn't want to slam on the brakes and have someone fall on the bus. but as soon as she passed the light, she should have been slowing down to stop at the next light. I don't believe that TA has to pay if buses get caught on red light cameras, but i do believe the driver gets in some sort of trouble

What I posted in the random thoughts thread :

I remember when I first rode an LFS on the Q27...8084. The bus driver ran the light too early, before it changed she already started to haul ass out of the intersection...

And this NIS O7 at Union-39 Terminal ran a red light...IDK why he was behind the stoping point....LOL

And our light on Union was green and the driver just plowed into the traffic.

@Gerber (Baby food name)...So what? Safety??? Have you ever seen a driver litterally SLAMMING on the brakes and coming to a very loud halt???? That driver must have been behind schedule.

the first light she passed probably because she didn't want to slam on the brakes and have someone fall on the bus. but as soon as she passed the light, she should have been slowing down to stop at the next light. I don't believe that TA has to pay if buses get caught on red light cameras, but i do believe the driver gets in some sort of trouble

the driver has to pay that ticket. they make you see the boss and fill out a paper so it gets deducted from your check not to mention you might get a day in the street.

LOL... Since we're talking about the M15 SBS, what ever happened with the flashing blue lights? For a while it was said that the (MTA) couldn't use those flashing blue light lights because that was only supposed to be for emergency vehicles, but then it's like the story disappeared as if it never happened. Me personally, I don't see the need for them. Isn't the signage sufficient enough?? :confused:

Youd think so but theres a reason why the Corona R62As had to be retrofitted with the LEDs, even though the regular signs and announcements should be enough.....

Smh... this was the completely wrong place for me to post this. If this was a truck driver or a regular car running those reds you guys would be all on him saying how it's dangerous or how he could've killed someone, but now to you guys this bus driver is a hero. This is just sad.

Shes not a hero to me (unless there was a medical emergency that warranted running the light she was in the wrong) but I noticed you didn't mention any filing of a report to the MTA about her conduct.....

Shes not a hero to me (unless there was a medical emergency that warranted running the light she was in the wrong) but I noticed you didn't mention any filing of a report to the MTA about her conduct.....

Well first off I have no idea how to do that, and secondly I'm not the type of person who's going to report others for stuff like that.

Also, like I said already, she just pulled out of the stop at 57th and was probably only going 5mph when the light turned yellow, and she would've only needed to apply a normal amount of brake in order to stop, but instead she floored it and I could feel the whole bus jolt forwards under me. If we were already going the normal speed and the light started to change up ahead I can definitely understand running the light just as it turns red and then stopping for the next light.

Well well looks like Alan J Keeper here wants justice hmmmm I bet you shit in your pants right? Did you get off next stop?? I doubt it....STOP ALL Complaining

I'm pretty sure that they're not supposed to, but a few days ago this happened between 57th and 67th on 1st. Just as we were pulling away from 57th the light at 58th started to change, but instead of the driver applying the brakes, it felt like she floored it and ended up passing the light about 1-2 seconds after it was red; blatantly running a red. This continued up all the way until 65th or so when we gained enough speed and started going through the lights when they were still yellow. This was in the lane right next to the bus lane, and at one point she had to honk pedestrians who already started to cross the street when they had a walk signal. I was just holding on with both hands, anticipating her to floor the brakes, but she just kept running the reds.

I guess she was making up for the lack of bus signal priority? ;)

This is New York City....EVERYONE runs red lights...truck drivers, taxi drivers, bus operators, regular drivers...ect,ect,ect....where have you been? It's not just bus operators alone you know....

you're the one making a big deal out of nothing. She's not a hero by any means, but you're just using it as another excuse to make a fuss. This is New York City, remember. People blow past red lights and stop signs all day every day.

QFT....

All buses run red lights, I do it eveyday. Its either stop at the light or get in trouble for being late. Red lights ARE NOT BUILT INTO OUR SCHEDULES. If you stop at all of them you see how late we are.

No, we'd be sayin the same thing.... Vehicles run red lights a lot here in NYC - and here you are bringing up one of the MANY random instances where a red light been ran....

Why in the hell do you think the idea of red light cameras actually came to fruition.... because tryna beat out yellows & blazin through reds are so damn rare out in the streets?

...and who the f*ck even implied this bus driver is a hero? See, that's an irritating habit you have when you post on here, Gorgor... If someone aint on your side when it comes to somethin MTA related, all of a sudden they're so jaded & that damn euphoric about the MTA to where they can't discern right from wrong... You know good & well the MTA has a notoriously bad reputation all throughout the transit forum community....

To be 100% with you, I'm not buying your story wholesale; too many holes in it to be plausible... sounds like an embellishment enough for you to come on here & rant about a route you now have to take.... It always comes back to that particular route you used to take...... Had this been another route, I highly doubt you would've even brought this whole thing up....

...and that's what so sad.

All buses run red lights, I do it everyday. Its either stop at the light or get in trouble for being late. Red lights ARE NOT BUILT INTO OUR SCHEDULES. If you stop at all of them you see how late we are.

It's amazing how many ppl. don't realize that.... then riders wanna complain about lateness on a long route....

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

No, we'd be sayin the same thing.... Vehicles run red lights a lot here in NYC - and here you are bringing up one of the MANY random instances where a red light been ran....

Why in the hell do you think the idea of red light cameras actually came to fruition.... because tryna beat out yellows & blazin through reds are so damn rare out in the streets?

...and who the f*ck even implied this bus driver is a hero? See, that's an irritating habit you have when you post on here, Gorgor... If someone aint on your side when it comes to somethin MTA related, all of a sudden they're so jaded & that damn euphoric about the MTA where they lose all can't discern right from wrong... You know good & well the MTA has a bad reputation all throughout the transit forum community....

to be 100% with you, I'm not buying your story wholesale; too many holes in it to be plausible... sounds like an embellishment enough for you to come on here & rant about a route you now have to take.... It always comes back to that particular route you used to take...... Had this been another route, I highly doubt you would've even brought this whole thing up....

...and that's what so sad.

It's amazing how many ppl. don't realize that.... then riders wanna complain about lateness on a long route....

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He's always complaining about something.....I'm sure his sorry ass haven't rode the M15 from South Ferry to East Harlem-125th Street and vice versa. A B/O runs a red light whoopy effing doo. You don't how know many buses I've rode and the B/O ran through the red lights......you don't see me complaining!

Edited by via White Plains Road
Spelling mistake!