'Tolled' you so! NJ Drivers shun NYC by instead using mass transit

Shortline Bus

O well less traffic jams and cash payers music to my ears let them NOT drive into NYC all they do is clog streets and drive slowly anyway

who says all of them are going straight into Manhattan, there's people that drive from Long Island to Jersey or Jersey to Connecticut and New England.

say hello to CRUSHLOADED TRAINS!!!!!!!!!

what does that have to do with anything? not everyone coming in via the George Washington bridge is going to manhattan or the bronx, some continue on to the Throggs Neck to get to Long Island or keep going to Westchester or even connecticut.

Same with the Goethals, not everyones going to Staten Island, some will take the Verezano to the Belt Parkway and continue on to Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island.

Its just not convenient to take the train for such trips or even a bus. if you lived in jersey goin to upstate or connecticut, you would have to take NJT, then the subway then Metro North to your destination, or NJT to the LIRR and have to deal with LIRR's skimpy reverse commuting service levels, when you can just leave earlier, deal with the traffic and get to where you need. The NY and NJ governments need to step in and take action on these toll hikes.

what does that have to do with anything? not everyone coming in via the George Washington bridge is going to manhattan or the bronx, some continue on to the Throggs Neck to get to Long Island or keep going to Westchester or even connecticut.

Same with the Goethals, not everyones going to Staten Island, some will take the Verezano to the Belt Parkway and continue on to Brooklyn, Queens, or Long Island.

Its just not convenient to take the train for such trips or even a bus. if you lived in jersey goin to upstate or connecticut, you would have to take NJT, then the subway then Metro North to your destination, or NJT to the LIRR and have to deal with LIRR's skimpy reverse commuting service levels, when you can just leave earlier, deal with the traffic and get to where you need. The NY and NJ governments need to step in and take action on these toll hikes.

Interesting I guess I knew there was a market for coachusa to explore. Thanks for confirming that fact. I would enhance LIRR capacity so it's reverse service is improved. Then I would explore having some rockland coach rtes continue onward to LGA, then queens village for LI service lines(SL improved) Some NJT buses to meet trains at Fordham MNRR bound for CT.

Those who leave early will benefit from LGA service as that would serve 125th on the way timed with MNRR trains. The LI/queens rte will meet at parkchester with Q44 and new MTA line for destinations via I-678 Bronx patrons would benefit as well. Via some regional program to make switching between systems cheaper. You raise very valid points many of which I raised when I talked at NJT meeting last year as ideas for expanded service via GWB. You only confirmed my hunch. Heck the NJ and NY gov't both need to work together to integrate their systems into each other to cater to such through travellers coachusa if they figure out where ppl are heading will be sitting on a goldmine of ridership. Via integration of services plus I found backroads in bronx to dodge traffic en rte to fordham.

Interesting I guess I knew there was a market for coachusa to explore. Thanks for confirming that fact. I would enhance LIRR capacity so it's reverse service is improved. Then I would explore having some rockland coach rtes continue onward to LGA, then queens village for LI service lines(SL improved) Some NJT buses to meet trains at Fordham MNRR bound for CT.

Those who leave early will benefit from LGA service as that would serve 125th on the way timed with MNRR trains. The LI/queens rte will meet at parkchester with Q44 and new MTA line for destinations via I-678 Bronx patrons would benefit as well. Via some regional program to make switching between systems cheaper. You raise very valid points many of which I raised when I talked at NJT meeting last year as ideas for expanded service via GWB. You only confirmed my hunch. Heck the NJ and NY gov't both need to work together to integrate their systems into each other to cater to such through travellers coachusa if they figure out where ppl are heading will be sitting on a goldmine of ridership. Via integration of services plus I found backroads in bronx to dodge traffic en rte to fordham.

What about truckers mr. einstein aka transitmaster?:eek::confused:

Who's going to want to leave their car for a greyhound type bus?

Also LIRR cant increase reverse commuting service unless they add a third track on teh mainline and double track in places in suffolk county. Thats going to be costly and already Garden City has opposed the third track project.

What about truckers mr. einstein aka transitmaster?:eek::confused:

Who's going to want to leave their car for a greyhound type bus?

Err greyhound won't get involved. I am simply making NJT and coachusa more direct to the point by having then end at major transfer points like fordham,LGA via 125th (southbound only) and queens village transfer point for LI bound service or somwhere in queens. The NJT restructures are limited to fordham the rest is coachusa services one (airport based).

Also LIRR cant increase reverse commuting service unless they add a third track on teh mainline and double track in places in suffolk county. Thats going to be costly and already Garden City has opposed the third track project.

interesting but isn't double tracking a part of the MTA's capital projects list??? There will soon be ways to kill any opposition to LIRR expansion opposition as most of the arguments have little to no merit behind them.

Thx for confirming some of my hunches I knew those ppl were heading somewhere.

interesting but isn't double tracking a part of the MTA's capital projects list??? There will soon be ways to kill any opposition to LIRR expansion opposition as most of the arguments have little to no merit behind them.

Thx for confirming some of my hunches I knew those ppl were heading somewhere.

you are thinking of two different things, theres double tracking for ronkonkoma branch, the third track between hicksville and floral park is a different project, and probably wont happen as the village of Garden City, which is quite an affluent area, has said no, they dont want it, they dont want the lost parking spaces nor the loss of property due to the wider right of way needed for it.

Thirdly you havent answered my question: Why would anyone want to leave their car for a greyhound type bus?

Speaking of Garden City, why bus stops at Roosevelt Field Mall are so far from main entrance of mall?

Maybe, one level of parking lot could be made into organized bus terminal and converted current bus terminal to parking lot? Or will NIMBY in cars opposed?

the majority of people go to Roosevelt Field by car, so they get the preference.

:cool:

you are thinking of two different things, theres double tracking for ronkonkoma branch, the third track between hicksville and floral park is a different project, and probably wont happen as the village of Garden City, which is quite an affluent area, has said no, they dont want it, they dont want the lost parking spaces nor the loss of property due to the wider right of way needed for it.

Thirdly you havent answered my question: Why would anyone want to leave their car for a greyhound type bus?

The service is actually njt/coachusa type you take a bus or transfer at GWB via timed to reach the train station where a train will convieniently meet you for destinations to CT and eastern westchester. The service isn't exactly greyhound type cause it only links you to the train or bus you need to complete ur trip directly plus santa fe said it himself NO ONE WANTS TO PAY THOSE TOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!! how would a 3rd rail help the main line???

Somebody has to say this:

"PANYNJ, eat a d**k! In fact eat a BAG of d**ks & choke on them:mad:"

It had to be me.

I had to vent my infuriated frustration at Albany & Trenton. Hopefully these toll$ will cost BOTH Christie & Cuomo second terms as governors.

The grapevine has it Otho {Christie} has aspirations of running against Obama next November for the Presidency.

Somebody has to say this:

"PANYNJ, eat a d**k! In fact eat a BAG of d**ks & choke on them:mad:"

It had to be me.

I had to vent my infuriated frustration at Albany & Trenton. Hopefully these toll$ will cost BOTH Christie & Cuomo second terms as governors.

The grapevine has it Otho {Christie} has aspirations of running against Obama next November for the Presidency.

No chance of winning with port authority. They need to be eliminated seriously I think NJT would be better with money if they ran the bridges like MTA does in NYC

:cool:

The service is actually njt/coachusa type you take a bus or transfer at GWB via timed to reach the train station where a train will convieniently meet you for destinations to CT and eastern westchester. The service isn't exactly greyhound type cause it only links you to the train or bus you need to complete ur trip directly plus santa fe said it himself NO ONE WANTS TO PAY THOSE TOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!! how would a 3rd rail help the main line???

you're either going to pay tolls or pay for the bus and train. There's no free ride, and still why would anyone want to take a bus and then a train that far? Its much easier to just drive and bite the bullet with the bridge toll, since the cost of the bus and train is going to add up to that amount anyway.

as for the LIRR, the third track will increase the amount of trains they can run through that busy segment of the railroad, they can use the middle track for the express trains, and the side tracks for the locals, and now trains going reverse-peak wont get in teh way of the rush hour trains.

and ill ask it again, Why would anyone want to leave their car for your plan?

you're either going to pay tolls or pay for the bus and train. There's no free ride, and still why would anyone want to take a bus and then a train that far? Its much easier to just drive and bite the bullet with the bridge toll, since the cost of the bus and train is going to add up to that amount anyway.

as for the LIRR, the third track will increase the amount of trains they can run through that busy segment of the railroad, they can use the middle track for the express trains, and the side tracks for the locals, and now trains going reverse-peak wont get in teh way of the rush hour trains.

and ill ask it again, Why would anyone want to leave their car for your plan?

It's faster since the buses won't stay on cross bronx for long anyway they will be timed so they are faster than driving.

Can't they get imminent domain or try to

It's faster since the buses won't stay on cross bronx for long anyway they will be timed so they are faster than driving.

Can't they get imminent domain or try to

that makes no sense, where you gunna put em? down Fordham Road with all the traffic lights, the Bruckner Expressway which has the same amount of traffic.

You can try to time it all you like, its going to be stuck in traffic with everyone else, and the train is not going to wait for it. Its much more convenient to just stay in your car and get there and still faster, and when you get up there you can go straight to your destination instead of having to jump on bee line or whatever bus thing that stamford has, so thats a third transfer under your plan, bus to train to bus again.

You can add as much rail service as you want and its not going to help very many people. NJT rail network is very limited. Routes like NEC is just as pointless as you can get. Outside of rush hour nec is pointless. And the tunnels in and out of penn puts the icing on the cake. Do you know how many people complain that ride NEC that say it is useless? The lack of express trains, its slow, its long, some stations are so close that it has the feel of a subway. The only thing I like are those super express trains from Newark to Trenton via Princton & Hamilton; nice and fast.

The times I been on nec from the cab its just sad. Its a cool route for a railfan but from the inside its just useless thanks to Amtrak.

NJT probably will increase service to an extent by having more rookies do more runs.

The Problem with NJT is that it hasn't pushed with expansions in the growing parts of the state like Middlesex , Ocean , Monmouth , Somerset and Bergen counties thus creating a high demand more stations or for every train to stop at every station instead of having less stations and allowing more trains to skip stations. The MOM network would reduce the demand on NJT buses and the NJCL , the West Trenton line would take a bite out of the NEC congestion and push for the West shore line which would probably cut the ridership on the overcrowded Coach USA and NJT 700 series is starting to burst at the seems. The line in my town for route 47 is sometimes 80 people long.... The NEC from New Brunswick and Northwards is always congested, but south of NB off peak its a ghost town. Actually the NEC has the least amount of stations ,compared to the slow North Jersey Coast line or Morristown line which takes forever.

The Problem with NJT is that it hasn't pushed with expansions in the growing parts of the state like Middlesex , Ocean , Monmouth , Somerset and Bergen counties thus creating a high demand more stations or for every train to stop at every station instead of having less stations and allowing more trains to skip stations. The MOM network would reduce the demand on NJT buses and the NJCL , the West Trenton line would take a bite out of the NEC congestion and push for the West shore line which would probably cut the ridership on the overcrowded Coach USA and NJT 700 series is starting to burst at the seems. The line in my town for route 47 is sometimes 80 people long.... The NEC from New Brunswick and Northwards is always congested, but south of NB off peak its a ghost town. Actually the NEC has the least amount of stations ,compared to the slow North Jersey Coast line or Morristown line which takes forever.

Dude the 700 lines don't get that loaded with exceptions anyway. Some are outright duplicates the 700 lines are in bergen county and passiac and are local feeders they have nothing to do with west shore line or west trenton line. Plus the coachusa bus gets it's ridership on rte 27 NO TRAIN LINE SERVES RTE 27 SOUTH OF NEW BRUNSWICK seriously think before you talk. However the train lines will help but the enhanced trains would only make NJT 700 lines MORE CROWDED!!!!!!!!!! Many Coachusa lines DO NOT duplicate except maybe a few red and tan lines BUT rockland coaches is primarily for rockland folk and again only a few lines directly duplicate they will be unfazed by train expansion but trains will give drivers less incentive to drive.

The 47 however goes all the way to stony point via 304 and is direct to NYC unlike the train that goes to hoboken they serve different purposes.

Dude the 700 lines don't get that loaded with exceptions anyway. Some are outright duplicates the 700 lines are in bergen county and passiac and are local feeders they have nothing to do with west shore line or west trenton line. Plus the coachusa bus gets it's ridership on rte 27 NO TRAIN LINE SERVES RTE 27 SOUTH OF NEW BRUNSWICK seriously think before you talk. However the train lines will help but the enhanced trains would only make NJT 700 lines MORE CROWDED!!!!!!!!!! Many Coachusa lines DO NOT duplicate except maybe a few red and tan lines BUT rockland coaches is primarily for rockland folk and again only a few lines directly duplicate they will be unfazed by train expansion but trains will give drivers less incentive to drive.

The 47 however goes all the way to stony point via 304 and is direct to NYC unlike the train that goes to hoboken they serve different purposes.

They are crowded and some does the Coach US routes...

Archived