'Tolled' you so! NJ Drivers shun NYC by instead using mass transit

Shortline Bus

..btw how did A-Rod end up as one of the tags lol

I peeped that too.... I was like, wtf...

You can add as much rail service as you want and its not going to help very many people. NJT rail network is very limited. Routes like NEC is just as pointless as you can get. Outside of rush hour nec is pointless. And the tunnels in and out of penn puts the icing on the cake. Do you know how many people complain that ride NEC that say it is useless? The lack of express trains, its slow, its long, some stations are so close that it has the feel of a subway. The only thing I like are those super express trains from Newark to Trenton via Princton & Hamilton; nice and fast.

It's actually quite funny to see the amt. of ppl. that disembark NEC trains @ Newark for PATH... guess it's that much of a relief for those folks to engage in making that transfer..... I'm obviously not a regular commuter on the NEC, but I've done that quite a few times myself.....

I have to agree with NJT rail network being limited.... bergen county branch & the pascack valley line, really? The trackage it took for those lines, I have to say could've been put to better use elsewhere within NJ.....

you're either going to pay tolls or pay for the bus and train.

You know, it's sad that that point actually had to be brought up..... that's like, transportation studies 101...

Can't they get imminent domain or try to

Eminent domain on what? Do you even know what eminent domain is.....

it's not something to be "gotten"..... you declare eminent domain on something, much like you declare war with someone....

the majority of people go to Roosevelt Field by car, so they get the preference.

Then explain the proximity of buses that drop passengers off at smith haven & walt whitman.....

Majority of most people that go to malls in the suburbs get there by car.

Speaking of Garden City, why bus stops at Roosevelt Field Mall are so far from main entrance of mall?

nevermind the parking garage, look at the way the parking lots are situated....

You know, it's sad that that point actually had to be brought up..... that's like, transportation studies 101...

well yea, im still waiting for him to answer why his elaborate bus system is better than just driving somewhere

Then explain the proximity of buses that drop passengers off at smith haven & walt whitman.....

I've only been to Smithhaven mall once, so I don't remember it well, Walt Whitman Mall is just differently designed and they happened to put the bus stop up near the door, Broadway Mall in hicksville however has no bus stop up near the door, the stop is somewhere on Route 107 near Sears. I guess it depends on if theres room and if they can put a bus stop there. Roosevelt Field has so many entrances i dont know where they would even move the bus stop to.

well yea, im still waiting for him to answer why his elaborate bus system is better than just driving somewhere

QJT is anti-car... He's not possibly gonna give you a satisfactory answer...

I wouldn't waste my time waiting... lol...

I've only been to Smithhaven mall once, so I don't remember it well, Walt Whitman Mall is just differently designed and they happened to put the bus stop up near the door, Broadway Mall in hicksville however has no bus stop up near the door, the stop is somewhere on Route 107 near Sears. I guess it depends on if theres room and if they can put a bus stop there. Roosevelt Field has so many entrances i dont know where they would even move the bus stop to.

What happens at smith haven w/ the buses is like a combination with what happens @ ((RFM)) -plus- {{whitman}}, except it's on a grander scale.... There's at least 10 routes that all pull up along the curbside by one of the main entrances to the mall..... It's used as a major xfer point....

The part in bold is a much better answer than simply saying most ppl. drive to the mall, so they get preference....

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that they move the buses elsewhere (I guess that's what Yuki was asking)... They can keep it right where it is AFAIC - I just wish it was expanded some..... the waiting areas don't supply for much space at all...

QJT is anti-car... He's not possibly gonna give you a satisfactory answer...

I wouldn't waste my time waiting... lol...

What happens at smith haven w/ the buses is like a combination with what happens @ ((RFM)) -plus- {{whitman}}, except it's on a grander scale.... There's at least 10 routes that all pull up along the curbside by one of the main entrances to the mall..... It's used as a major xfer point....

The part in bold is a much better answer than simply saying most ppl. drive to the mall, so they get preference....

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that they move the buses elsewhere (I guess that's what Yuki was asking)... They can keep it right where it is AFAIC - I just wish it was expanded some..... the waiting areas don't supply for much space at all...

your right about smith haven I've been there but the buses literally stop at the mall entrance infront of all those outlet stores how is that car favortism when the buses get direct access to the mall literally.

YES I AM VERY ANTI-CAR I admit it All my plans are about reducing car use in mind. @lilfoxie Don't bother I already told you direct access to metro-north trains to CT in sometimes for NJ folk a one seat ride to metro-north others via continuing trip ticket. I won't bother trying to convince you everyone is different NOT everyone is transit or car centric you give the ppl options then let the ppl decide do you really think ppl wouldn't jump at the chance to abandon the cross bronx !!!!!!!!!! CMON try it out.

If you lived in many places across America say like Montana, West Virgina or North Dakota a car is a must have you know that transitmaster.

Instead of being ANTI CAR why not instead be 'pro green' in which cars/trucks and even buses use less gas?

And back to topic. As a driver the highway i most hate in metro NYC is the cross bronx that a parking lot at any moment day or night. I do agree with higher tolls on the PANYNJ crossings but it was way unfair and too high.:mad: I agree 100% with AAA in their suit vs. PANYNJ but it's doubtful the toll hikes will be overturn and reduced.

your right about smith haven I've been there but the buses literally stop at the mall entrance infront of all those outlet stores how is that car favortism when the buses get direct access to the mall literally.

YES I AM VERY ANTI-CAR I admit it All my plans are about reducing car use in mind. @lilfoxie Don't bother I already told you direct access to metro-north trains to CT in sometimes for NJ folk a one seat ride to metro-north others via continuing trip ticket. I won't bother trying to convince you everyone is different NOT everyone is transit or car centric you give the ppl options then let the ppl decide do you really think ppl wouldn't jump at the chance to abandon the cross bronx !!!!!!!!!! CMON try it out.

If you lived in many places across America say like Montana, West Virgina or North Dakota a car is a must have you know that transitmaster.

Instead of being ANTI CAR why not instead be 'pro green' in which cars/trucks and even buses use less gas?

And back to topic. As a driver the highway i most hate in metro NYC is the cross bronx that a parking lot at any moment day or night. I do agree with higher tolls on the PANYNJ crossings but it was way unfair and too high.:mad: I agree 100% with AAA in their suit vs. PANYNJ but it's doubtful the toll hikes will be overturn and reduced.

Actually that pro green works I like cars that use less gas actually strange coming from me yes I know. I've been to west virginia yes it's deserted I agree you DO NEED A CAR in those places. PPL out there just don't reproduce like bunnies. However I was amazed how easy it was to get around morgantown,WV without a car.

The fact ppl hate cross bronx alone would be enough to justify my connection ideas. Coachusa to LGA via 125th metro-north. One rte NJT to fordham metro-north timed with trains. Another to cross county via I87 at first separate later merged. Then coachusa line with extra BALLZ with that to link ppl to queens and LI indirectly via Q44 transfer at parkchester for ppl to flushing. The rte will try to link with SL LI service sort of maybe coachusa will figure out where the ppl are going. and new Q94 for express service to LIRR airtrain via highway or try. Q94 will save the BL60 from local bronx passengers that make it cronically late with taking it to go one block ugh!!!! the Q94 will be local on boston rd to pelham bay. Local passengers within bronx will use Q94 and will get the boot from the W60 speeding up W60.

Shortline knowing you you probably whould come up with a better answer than me.

the Staten Island Expressway i find more frustrating than the Cross Bronx, at least up there you have options, you can go up and around via I-287 which is what I do when I have to go to Northern New Jersey even if its a lil out of the way its worth it becasue you are at least moving.

the Staten Island Expressway i find more frustrating than the Cross Bronx, at least up there you have options, you can go up and around via I-287 which is what I do when I have to go to Northern New Jersey even if its a lil out of the way its worth it becasue you are at least moving.

Foxie when i used to live in Coney Island/Sea Gate up to almost a decade ago, (i left in 2003)and go to/from NJ via Verrzano, I would either take the Father Capodanno /Hylan combo to get to the Outerbridge. Or use Victory Blvd to get to/from the Gothehals in case of jams on the SIE.

So there are 'alternative ways' to the SIE as well between the Verrzano and the NJ bridges but i admit it's out of the way though.:eek:

Foxie when i used to live in Coney Island/Sea Gate up to almost a decade ago, (i left in 2003)and go to/from NJ via Verrzano, I would either take the Father Capodanno /Hylan combo to get to the Outerbridge. Or use Victory Blvd to get to/from the Gothehals in case of jams on the SIE.

So there are 'alternative ways' to the SIE as well between the Verrzano and the NJ bridges but i admit it's out of the way though.:eek:

overall I wish they built the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge so I wouldnt need to even mess around with the NYC traffic to go anywhere, one of the downsides to living on Long Island, and dont bring up that ferry, if im in a car I want to go on my schedule and stop where I want and plan my own route, not be bound by anyone else's route or schedule.

Its too bad the AAA cant be more like the NRA when it comes to representing motorists.

overall I wish they built the Oyster Bay-Rye Bridge so I wouldnt need to even mess around with the NYC traffic to go anywhere, one of the downsides to living on Long Island, and dont bring up that ferry, if im in a car I want to go on my schedule and stop where I want and plan my own route, not be bound by anyone else's route or schedule.

Its too bad the AAA cant be more like the NRA when it comes to representing motorists.

I think oyster bay LIRR should be combined with danbury branch via new bridge and electrification of both combining 2 weak lines into a direct way of travel from CT to LI more frequent than the ferry but after MTA goes through with their plan to cut oyster bay line short to mineola turning it into a branch line.

I know incomplete idea isn't it.

I think oyster bay LIRR should be combined with danbury branch via new bridge and electrification of both combining 2 weak lines into a direct way of travel from CT to LI more frequent than the ferry but after MTA goes through with their plan to cut oyster bay line short to mineola turning it into a branch line.

that's a stupid idea if I ever heard one further showing your ridiculous anti-car bias. People going from long island to Connecticut are usually going by car headed somewhere else like Boston or Albany or Vermont. The best use of such a cross-sound bridge/tunnel is a highway, because you can then serve cars and trucks and in the process lower the cost of trucking and shipping things between long island and the mainland.

also, the only way to fix the cross Bronx is to widen it from 6 lanes to 8 lanes (10 preferably like the highways in Atlanta but the bronxites will complain too much, despite the fact it would create lots of jobs up there and improve the way people transport goods and people thru the city), and add proper shoulder lanes and on and off ramps. Not add more greyhound/fung wah style coach buses.

that's a stupid idea if I ever heard one further showing your ridiculous anti-car bias. People going from long island to Connecticut are usually going by car headed somewhere else like Boston or Albany or Vermont. The best use of such a cross-sound bridge/tunnel is a highway, because you can then serve cars and trucks and in the process lower the cost of trucking and shipping things between long island and the mainland.

also, the only way to fix the cross Bronx is to widen it from 6 lanes to 8 lanes (10 preferably like the highways in Atlanta but the bronxites will complain too much, despite the fact it would create lots of jobs up there and improve the way people transport goods and people thru the city), and add proper shoulder lanes and on and off ramps. Not add more greyhound/fung wah style coach buses.

Plus atlanta folk WANT MORE transit service like rail lines and such they don't like the car gridlock al all I know my family is from there my cousins despise the lack of transit but they have no choice!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thx Well then amtrak's intercity idea was much better then But maybe an intercity rail line would be better but with greater frequency giving direct links to hartford,CT creating a major intercity network that is complete.

The reason why earlier I suggested LIRR was to make links with amtrak BUT norwalk makes too many transfer problems. I admit more rail lines and intercity bus rtes in CT will have to be made before my plan even becomes practical. That part I admit it's too soon but the time it takes to make that bridge will be enough for the things to happen by time of completion intercity transit networks in CT will be more mature and complete and will be able to better link with the line. More berkshire service may be needed.

Looks like you gave me an even better idea talking with you is very enlightening.

I asked that question on purpose to to bait ya for an overview of intercity travel thx.

Plus atlanta folk WANT MORE transit service like rail lines and such they don't like the car gridlock al all I know my family is from there my cousins despise the lack of transit but they have no choice!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thx Well then amtrak's intercity idea was much better then But maybe an intercity rail line would be better but with greater frequency giving direct links to hartford,CT creating a major intercity network that is complete.

The reason why earlier I suggested LIRR was to make links with amtrak BUT norwalk makes too many transfer problems. I admit more rail lines and intercity bus rtes in CT will have to be made before my plan even becomes practical. That part I admit it's too soon but the time it takes to make that bridge will be enough for the things to happen by time of completion intercity transit networks in CT will be more mature and complete and will be able to better link with the line. More berkshire service may be needed.

Looks like you gave me an even better idea talking with you is very enlightening.

I asked that question on purpose to to bait ya for an overview of intercity travel thx.

last time I was up in New England was to go to Rhode Island, the trip would have taken MUCH longer and ahve been a lot more of a pain in the ass if I was stuck on the train and then having to use RI's bus network, having to schlep my stuff from train to bus then to a taxi cuz the bus aint gunna go where i need to, when I can just stay in my car, drive on my schedule, come and go when I WANT, stop where I WANT, when I want. I make the rules, I make the schedule based on my schedule, now why would anyone who has a car abandon it to go to places that have highways already and plenty of parking. This aint Manhattan we are talking about with a horrid lack of proper parking. When I went to Boston, it wasnt boston it was an outer suburb with no rail or bus access. You cant have a bus or a train everywhere, its just not cost effective or practical, and thats where the automobile still reins supreme.

last time I was up in New England was to go to Rhode Island, the trip would have taken MUCH longer and ahve been a lot more of a pain in the ass if I was stuck on the train and then having to use RI's bus network, having to schlep my stuff from train to bus then to a taxi cuz the bus aint gunna go where i need to, when I can just stay in my car, drive on my schedule, come and go when I WANT, stop where I WANT, when I want. I make the rules, I make the schedule based on my schedule, now why would anyone who has a car abandon it to go to places that have highways already and plenty of parking. This aint Manhattan we are talking about with a horrid lack of proper parking. When I went to Boston, it wasnt boston it was an outer suburb with no rail or bus access. You cant have a bus or a train everywhere, its just not cost effective or practical, and thats where the automobile still reins supreme.

Interesting post The new line will be a 2 seat ride to RI actually. But if amtrak has their way it will be a one seat ride. You bring up even more interesting points OHH and RI's bus network is going to improve service to those suburban areas with enhanced flex service and such check em out. Also I am really trying LI-CT line to force the MBTA to modify rail service indirectly if what you say is true then more coordination will be forced on these networks. I am not gonna lie MA doesn't need a statewide network just better coordination of intercity bus/rail service. And the lake shore LTA needs to become a frequent rail line. Boston to chicago rail service is well IT SUCKS BALLZ!!!!!!!!!!! amtrak outside northeast corridor well SUCKS GIANT HAIRY BALLZ!!!!!!!! You raise very good points all the more reason why systems need to work together some in MA actually need to merge not rtes themselves but 3 2 bus systems in one county is confusing and should consolidate to better manage costs and create a unified network. No I am not saying I have a MA transit proposal.

Interesting post The new line will be a 2 seat ride to RI actually. But if amtrak has their way it will be a one seat ride. You bring up even more interesting points OHH and RI's bus network is going to improve service to those suburban areas with enhanced flex service and such check em out. Also I am really trying LI-CT line to force the MBTA to modify rail service indirectly if what you say is true then more coordination will be forced on these networks. I am not gonna lie MA doesn't need a statewide network just better coordination of intercity bus/rail service. And the lake shore LTA needs to become a frequent rail line. Boston to chicago rail service is well IT SUCKS BALLZ!!!!!!!!!!! amtrak outside northeast corridor well SUCKS GIANT HAIRY BALLZ!!!!!!!! You raise very good points all the more reason why systems need to work together some in MA actually need to merge not rtes themselves but 3 2 bus systems in one county is confusing and should consolidate to better manage costs and create a unified network. No I am not saying I have a MA transit proposal.

I still wouldn't take it, your bus and rail network cant go everywhere, and i like the flexibility to go where i want, when i want. It's not cost effective in the outer suburbs where car ownership is very high.

I still wouldn't take it, your bus and rail network cant go everywhere, and i like the flexibility to go where i want, when i want. It's not cost effective in the outer suburbs where car ownership is very high.

true but that's just you it's to shuffle the masses. Outer suburbs are well linked sort of to major transfer points. These places add up into a massive network of areas around the new england area that have transit but are now better connected.

CT however will need to sacrifice a few suburban lines to some of the hartford expresses in some cases. Other cases new cross lines from new haven and waterbury via converging isolated lines together. The zone fare system should help with farebox recovery on distance rtes.

I agree some areas in CT and new england are car country.

and people in outer suburbs generally have cars so why would they abandon them for your system? that's really the big question, what is so great about your plan? What makes it better than me just getting in my car and driving everywhere.

that's something you need to think about as well when you devise these grand schemes, you already have the small portion of the suburban population without a car but you aren't doing a good job selling your plan to those of us who can and will drive when possible, and that is something to think about. Especially in these times, there isn't extra cash to go around to expanding bus and rail systems that break even running how they are.

I guess what I am trying to do is get you out of your ideal world and into the real world where you have to deal with budgets and upscale neighborhoods not wanting trains and buses, and areas where car ownership is very high and all the buses in the world aint gunna change that. Even when LIB had a very extensive system before the 2010 cuts, it didn't have the huge ridership compared to NYC or Westchester from what I hear.

if it were up to me, NYC would resemble Dallas or LA in the amount of freeways we have. but I know that my idea isnt practical or realistic. I can also make like it would be able to move more traffic more efficiently and whatnot, but I know that the best system of getting around is a balance between automobiles, trains and buses.

and people in outer suburbs generally have cars so why would they abandon them for your system? that's really the big question, what is so great about your plan? What makes it better than me just getting in my car and driving everywhere.

that's something you need to think about as well when you devise these grand schemes, you already have the small portion of the suburban population without a car but you aren't doing a good job selling your plan to those of us who can and will drive when possible, and that is something to think about. Especially in these times, there isn't extra cash to go around to expanding bus and rail systems that break even running how they are.

I guess what I am trying to do is get you out of your ideal world and into the real world where you have to deal with budgets and upscale neighborhoods not wanting trains and buses, and areas where car ownership is very high and all the buses in the world aint gunna change that. Even when LIB had a very extensive system before the 2010 cuts, it didn't have the huge ridership compared to NYC or Westchester from what I hear.

if it were up to me, NYC would resemble Dallas or LA in the amount of freeways we have. but I know that my idea isnt practical or realistic. I can also make like it would be able to move more traffic more efficiently and whatnot, but I know that the best system of getting around is a balance between automobiles, trains and buses.

My plan is long term and is intended to coincide with the bus networks to bring more practicality to transit travel but it won't end up putting buses everywhere just reshaping them in a way where they are converged in a more unified system as it's more cost efficient than a fragmented system. The bus network regional consolidation alone will save green for CT. It's really consolidation rather than expansion. It's more manipulating transit system to become more integrated. LIB cuts were very minor anyway. However you are forgetting how flawed their network was and how many things you couldn't do to reach employment places. Also LI regional travel is hindered by weak service levels in suffolk and LIRR connections.

My plan is long term and is intended to coincide with the bus networks to bring more practicality to transit travel but it won't end up putting buses everywhere just reshaping them in a way where they are converged in a more unified system as it's more cost efficient than a fragmented system. The bus network regional consolidation alone will save green for CT. It's really consolidation rather than expansion. It's more manipulating transit system to become more integrated. LIB cuts were very minor anyway. However you are forgetting how flawed their network was and how many things you couldn't do to reach employment places. Also LI regional travel is hindered by weak service levels in suffolk and LIRR connections.

the east end service is like a vicious cycle, the LIRR says we cant increase service because there isn't the ridership, and the reason the ridership's not there is because there's too few trains (im talking more about greenport than montauk which isnt bad in summer)

there are talks of buying smaller diesel-multiple unit cars for out there instead of the locomotives and cab cars, which would supposedly be more cost effective.

Greenport LIRR service is hampered by the fact the track condition isn't very good (there's speed restrictions on it), and theres no area for trains to pass eachother going opposite directions (Montauk branch has such an area between Southampton and Bridgehampton).

I have taken the LIRR out to Montauk, its a very well put together service and the station is about a 10-15 minute walk from the downtown area. The town of East Hampton/Village of Montauk should consider adding sidewalks to that road for safety.

the east end service is like a vicious cycle, the LIRR says we cant increase service because there isn't the ridership, and the reason the ridership's not there is because there's too few trains (im talking more about greenport than montauk which isnt bad in summer)

there are talks of buying smaller diesel-multiple unit cars for out there instead of the locomotives and cab cars, which would supposedly be more cost effective.

Greenport LIRR service is hampered by the fact the track condition isn't very good (there's speed restrictions on it), and theres no area for trains to pass eachother going opposite directions (Montauk branch has such an area between Southampton and Bridgehampton).

I have taken the LIRR out to Montauk, its a very well put together service and the station is about a 10-15 minute walk from the downtown area. The town of East Hampton/Village of Montauk should consider adding sidewalks to that road for safety.

interesting I took greenport trains the lack of ridership to me is absolute BULLSHIT you are very right the 2 trains are too inconveniently scheduled to attract ridership S92 and hampton jitney buses are sardine cans!!!!!!!! and living proof that those tracks NEED AN OVERHAUL.

Yeah, well now NJ Transit needs to increase their damn service. They're so frugal w/service out there that it's ridiculous. :mad:

Just how I like those buses. Nice and crowded. ;)

You know what's funny... The Verrazano has had the highest tolls in the country for sometime and it is only now that other bridges are being slammed that folks are crying about this being an outrage. :(

Well, people always complain when the price of something goes up.

NJT can't increase bus service due to the tolls.

Why not? If you have additional ridership, you'll have more money to pay for the tolls.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will be passing ppl up on many lines and the complaints will PILE UP VERY FAST FASTER THAN LIGHTSPEED SPEEDY GONZALAS!!!!!!!!

It's Gonzales.

What about truckers mr. einstein aka transitmaster?:eek::confused:

Well, part of the problem was the creation of cars in the first place. They led to roads and highways being created, which led to the demise of certain rail lines and overall resulted in less service on the existing rail lines. If there were no highways, there would be more money for capacity expansions and more frequent service on the rail lines. You could have both frequent inter-city and commuter rail lines.

I mean, you realistically can't live in a McMansion with good transit service, but there are a lot of walkable suburbs (with good transit) that those people would be able to live in.

But as far as the truckers go, they benefit from reduced congestion. People made the argument against congestion pricing based on that, and the answer was that it would be an extra 1/2 cent per pound of produce or something like that, and the reduced congestion would result in more savings (remember, time is money)

:cool:

The service is actually njt/coachusa type you take a bus or transfer at GWB via timed to reach the train station where a train will convieniently meet you for destinations to CT and eastern westchester. The service isn't exactly greyhound type cause it only links you to the train or bus you need to complete ur trip directly plus santa fe said it himself NO ONE WANTS TO PAY THOSE TOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!! how would a 3rd rail help the main line???

It's a third track, and it'll provide additional capacity. Right now, there is very little off-peak service because the peak trains use both tracks.

You can take local streets. Victory Blvd parallels the SIE for a while, and then you can try to get around the service roads if there's a backup.

If you're going over the Goethals, you can take the Bayonne and take I-78 across.

For the Outerbridge, you could take Richmond Road/Arthur Kill Road all the way down instead of the SIE->WSE.

Just how I like those buses. Nice and crowded. ;)

Booohhh :mad::mad::tdown::tdown:

Well, people always complain when the price of something goes up.

Not always, but generally yes. In this case though, the complaining is justified. They are clearly trying to rob people. :mad:

Why not? If you have additional ridership, you'll have more money to pay for the tolls.

My sentiments exactly.

It's Gonzales.

It can be González also... :(

Booohhh :mad::mad::tdown::tdown:

Not always, but generally yes. In this case though, the complaining is justified. They are clearly trying to rob people. :mad:

My sentiments exactly.

It can be González also... B)

true NJT WILL GUARANTEED improve service just watch THEY WILL BE FORCED TO DO SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST WAIT TILL PPL GET PASSED UP. It will happen very soon

1) Booohhh :mad::mad::tdown::tdown:

2) It can be González also... B)

1) You know how I think. Crowded buses = lower fares = happy me. B)

2) Actually, that was a typo. I meant to write González, but I hit "s" instead of "z" (ah, multitasking). And I was typing on a school computer, so I don't know how to get the diacritical marks on the letters (but I can do it on my home computer)

But I did type in "Gonzales" and it is a Hispanic last name, so I was still right, even with the typo. (And I think the official spelling is Gonzales for the cartoon character, but like you said, it could be spelled either way)

Archived