'Tolled' you so! NJ Drivers shun NYC by instead using mass transit

Shortline Bus

They should be increasing PATH service. The only way NJT will run more buses is if they don't enter NYC, which means linking with PATH.

It will do ppl no good they won't use a bus to transfer to PATH remember NJT's 302 and 61??? do you remember former bus lines that did just that.

AGAIN ALL NYC BOUND BUSES will need a service increase of some kind cause they WILL GET STUFFED THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH PATH CAN DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, instead of a toll you are paying for a train or bus ticket.

You're not paying for gas, parking or maintainance, and you're also potentially saving on insurance, as you'd be using your car less.

I mean, $361 per month from New Brunswick to NY Penn Station is a lot cheaper than driving in. It's 40 miles and at, say 25 cents per mile (conservatively), that's $10, which is $400 a month right there.

You're not paying for gas, parking or maintainance, and you're also potentially saving on insurance, as you'd be using your car less.

I mean, $361 per month from New Brunswick to NY Penn Station is a lot cheaper than driving in. It's 40 miles and at, say 25 cents per mile (conservatively), that's $10, which is $400 a month right there.

most likely you will still need to drive to a station somewhere in new jersey to catch the train, especially in the suburbs.

but like I said earlier, people using the GW Bridge arent necisarily going to manhattan, its also people from New Jersey commuting to Long Island and Westchester for work as well, so tack on an LIRR or an MNRR monthly to that estimate as well.

most likely you will still need to drive to a station somewhere in new jersey to catch the train, especially in the suburbs.

but like I said earlier, people using the GW Bridge arent necisarily going to manhattan, its also people from New Jersey commuting to Long Island and Westchester for work as well, so tack on an LIRR or an MNRR monthly to that estimate as well.

Well, you'd have to drive that same distance (from the train to home) whether you drove or took the transit.

As far as going to Westchester or Long Island, transit is still probably cheaper (though less so than going to Manhattan because parking is cheaper out in the suburbs). But the difference is that it's less time-competitive with car travel.

Well, you'd have to drive that same distance (from the train to home) whether you drove or took the transit.

As far as going to Westchester or Long Island, transit is still probably cheaper (though less so than going to Manhattan because parking is cheaper out in the suburbs). But the difference is that it's less time-competitive with car travel.

true but there is a trick to it If you know how to manipulate transit lines you will find a way to lower travel time.

@lil bluefoxie very interesting point I had a hunch ppl were heading out that way. More reason to extend airtrain to LGA then later on to GWB eliminating need for coachusa red and tan to explore LI with a line there. which will help reduce alot of traffic on cross bronx due to less drivers. However reverse ridership on LIRR may increase and create pressure on the network.

However a near term would be extension of one of gwb rtes to LGA with a stop at metro-north 125th timed with northbound harlem and new haven trains(express). Another to LI mineola intermodal terminal. intercity buses in LI have their mineola stop moved to LIRR station. or jamacia LIRR basically creating lines around gwb corridor it works as a network

not every business park, particularly those in Suffolk and Westchester have train access, and frankly if its the choice of train then train then bus, id rather drive, cuz the extra travel time is worth it than having to transfer potentially 3 or more times to get to your destination, well 4 if you count drive to station in jersey, go to train to pen, get on LIRR train, then get on nassau county or suffok bus to destination. Who can honestly say that is better than just sitting in your car, leaving early, or turning on talk radio and just dealing with a little bit of traffic (and theres ways around the traffic if you are savy enough), they got imus in the morning or if you have satelite radio you can listen to howard stern.

once you get out of the cross bronx, heading eastbound in the morning on long island isnt going to be too much of a hassle becasue most of the traffics going the other way. You dont have to deal with other people in your car spreading germs, smelling like crap, yapping on their phones, having their ipod too loud, begging for money, singing awfully, selling overpriced candy.

not every business park, particularly those in Suffolk and Westchester have train access, and frankly if its the choice of train then train then bus, id rather drive, cuz the extra travel time is worth it than having to transfer potentially 3 or more times to get to your destination, well 4 if you count drive to station in jersey, go to train to pen, get on LIRR train, then get on nassau county or suffok bus to destination. Who can honestly say that is better than just sitting in your car, leaving early, or turning on talk radio and just dealing with a little bit of traffic (and theres ways around the traffic if you are savy enough), they got imus in the morning or if you have satelite radio you can listen to howard stern.

once you get out of the cross bronx, heading eastbound in the morning on long island isnt going to be too much of a hassle becasue most of the traffics going the other way. You dont have to deal with other people in your car spreading germs, smelling like crap, yapping on their phones, having their ipod too loud, begging for money, singing awfully, selling overpriced candy.

not everybody is you!!!!!!!!!!! plus beggers are rare and non existant on LIRR!!!!!!!! anyway most of that is limited to the subway meaning those regional travellers won't deal with it ever. traffic cross bronx you have no idea how much ppl hate it. My plan just exploits that. However I am not set or complete on it yet. back with completed plan OHH most NJT stations have connections to NJT buses timed.

not everybody is you!!!!!!!!!!! plus beggers are rare and non existant on LIRR!!!!!!!! anyway most of that is limited to the subway meaning those regional travellers won't deal with it ever. traffic cross bronx you have no idea how much ppl hate it. My plan just exploits that. However I am not set or complete on it yet. back with completed plan OHH most NJT stations have connections to NJT buses timed.

Well I think my opinion is more in line with people who actually own a car.

If you are going to Long Island, you can go down the triboro to bypass it entirely.

and who cares how Jersey's buses are timed, that's still yet another transfer to a journey that can be made directly with an automobile. Your plan does NOTHING to encourage anyone from not driving. and if you are going from Jersey to Westchester or Connecticut by train YES you will be on the subway.

Lets finally get an answer, why is your plans better than driving? How are you going to convince car owners to use your network? like I just pointed out, the journey will require 4-5 transfers, especially going to westchester or connecticut.

I think the frequency of the (NJT) NYC bound buses should be like the 308 leaving PABT, especially in the summer time... As soon as a bus gets near full at the starting point, bus takes off, another one comes in immediately, then people will board the next bus. It should be like :septa: MFL shuttle buses from 69th St TC to 40th St while station renovations were going on

Well I think my opinion is more in line with people who actually own a car.

If you are going to Long Island, you can go down the triboro to bypass it entirely.

and who cares how Jersey's buses are timed, that's still yet another transfer to a journey that can be made directly with an automobile. Your plan does NOTHING to encourage anyone from not driving. and if you are going from Jersey to Westchester or Connecticut by train YES you will be on the subway.

Lets finally get an answer, why is your plans better than driving? How are you going to convince car owners to use your network? like I just pointed out, the journey will require 4-5 transfers, especially going to westchester or connecticut.

many NYC bound buses have midtown direct service beyond port authority and to areas within a 3 min walk to GRAND CENTRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again that is one less transfer ppl will make several times ppl get lucky with no transfers needed in NJ. The buses have their own lane via the tunnell. Again metro-north unlike LIRR has good reverse service so those ppl still bypass the subway. In addition my GWB idea once fully developed allows ppl to completely bypass the subway entirely. Thus reducing transfers needed. Also part of it manipulates bee-line express rtes within westchester. There was a guy who paid $400 in gas yet his trip with transit would have been 2 very short bus rides and a train ride plus he had 2 options too. The poor guy was CLUELESS ABOUT METRO-NORTH. After explaining it he was shocked how easy the trip was. Plus direct means nothing if it means TRAFFIC HELL. You underestimate how bad the delays really are compared to the train's speed.

I think the frequency of the (NJT) NYC bound buses should be like the 308 leaving PABT, especially in the summer time... As soon as a bus gets near full at the starting point, bus takes off, another one comes in immediately, then people will board the next bus. It should be like :septa: MFL shuttle buses from 69th St TC to 40th St while station renovations were going on

It will eventually get like that!!!!!!!! trust me those tolls are really that bad.

Archived