An example of why N22 service cannot be cut

PinePower

even with my skeleton plans for Nassau, trying to work within the $4mill. I would have kept the 22.

I woulda kept the 1, 4, 6, 15, 20, 22, 25, 27, 32, 35, 40, 43, 49, 71 (end at farmingdale LIRR), 79 (to hicksville only).

The N71 doesn't serve Farmingdale: Just the N70 and N72.

And for the N79, you mean it would go from Hicksville to Walt Whitman, right?

Quite honestly, I think that has more to do w/ the seating arrangement that the bus has those standees.... That's not exactly crowded, but it is a lot of ppl. on the bus for that time of the day.....

on an O5 or an RTS, those ppl standing would have seats..... but as far as the main sticking point goes, yeah, I don't think no one's opting/advocating cutting N22 service.

I really am wondering how far Nassau had its head up its ass when the NGs came in because the Orion Vs were all fine in terms of seating arrangements. But no, people have to have a mile of space around them, even if they're thin. With the NGs, people think they have no room in the back, so they bunch up around the rear door. And then the idiots that think it's okay to stay there keep activating the annoying "Please do not stand near the rear door" announcement.

Even if people tried to cram up there, there's probably only room for at least six or seven more people.

The N71 doesn't serve Farmingdale: Just the N70 and N72.

And for the N79, you mean it would go from Hicksville to Walt Whitman, right?

it does, it goes down NY 109 instead of NY 24 but it still runs through the village of Farmingdale. What I was saying is, cut the run down to babylon and have it end at the farmingdale LIRR station.

as for the 79 It would run from Mineola station to Hicksville station only, the section east of hicksville LIRR would be cut.

it does, it goes down NY 109 instead of NY 24 but it still runs through the village of Farmingdale. What I was saying is, cut the run down to babylon and have it end at the farmingdale LIRR station.

as for the 79 It would run from Mineola station to Hicksville station only, the section east of hicksville LIRR would be cut.

Well, I meant the Farmingdale LIRR station, which it doesn't serve.

It's the N72 that goes down Route 109 and ends at Babylon. The N71 just spends a few blocks along Route 109 and goes down Carmans Road to the Sunrise Mall.

So do you want the N72 to be cut back to the Farmingdale LIRR station? What would you do with the N70 and N71, leave them as is?

I'm just trying to clarify which route we're talking about.

As far as the N79 goes, I disagree. While Old Country Road seperates the N78/N79 from the N22, there are a few underpasses where somebody could cross (plus there's the N48 for a short stretch). The eastern part of the N79 has no coverage at all.

I'd just keep the N79 with hourly headways throughout the whole route.

Quite honestly, I think that has more to do w/ the seating arrangement that the bus has those standees.... That's not exactly crowded, but it is a lot of ppl. on the bus for that time of the day.....

on an O5 or an RTS, those ppl standing would have seats..... but as far as the main sticking point goes, yeah, I don't think no one's opting/advocating cutting N22 service.

The seating arrangement on those 07's is a problem for sure. It is so cramped and wastes so much space. I think they need to be reseated to hold more people. Often there's some seats in the back that ppl cant get to because of the layout. I'd like to see mostly sideways (longitudinal?) seating, esp in the back. The seating layout on Bee-Line's buses is able to hold much more ppl. Heck even Suffolk Transit has a better seating layout on their 07s with sideways seating in the back!

I really am wondering how far Nassau had its head up its ass when the NGs came in because the Orion Vs were all fine in terms of seating arrangements. But no, people have to have a mile of space around them, even if they're thin. With the NGs, people think they have no room in the back, so they bunch up around the rear door. And then the idiots that think it's okay to stay there keep activating the annoying "Please do not stand near the rear door" announcement.

Even if people tried to cram up there, there's probably only room for at least six or seven more people.

The question is, did Nassau order that seating layout or did the MTA? Remember the 07's were ordered by the MTA. The Orion V CNG's Nassau ordered had a better seating layout.

Well there's a significant amount of ridership going past Farmingdale with the N72, at least in rush hours.

The question is, did Nassau order that seating layout or did the MTA? Remember the 07's were ordered by the MTA. The Orion V CNG's Nassau ordered had a better seating layout.

I know the Orion Vs were built to Nassau's specs (hence the quadruple folding doors, Alcoas, and the transverse seating) but the NGs seem to be a mixed bag since they were ordered after LIB became part of RBO.

For some reason, even the new NGs have the front facing seat arrangement in the rear, but those have NYC-standard runboxes, pullcords, a Stop Requested sign above the bus operator's compartment, and handlebars in the rear door area. The only thing I like about the NG Hybrids in the city is the rear seating arrangement. There's still plenty of room for standees...

Archived