Fare Receipts

82 Watsessing

Okay here's a thought regarding bus fare receipts. My understanding is that the official policy is that passengers are to take the receipt issued by the fare register and return it to the driver when leaving to ensure that they've paid for the correct number of zones.

However, this policy is not enforced at all, at least from my own observations. Many passengers don't take the receipt at all and the driver just places them in the yellow envelope. I believe it used to be enforced back when PS and TNJ ran things but NJT seems to have let it slide. NJT has the system in place to establish a bus version of POP; they can hire a team of fare inspectors to randomly board buses and ask to see passenger's fare receipts, much like the SBS system in New York. Of course this means spending more money to hire, train and pay a new team of employees, but what do you guys think of this?

What you see is what you see. Im going to be real careful on what I say here because right now you sound like someone who works in NJT asking something of this nature and im not going to say anything about this matter.

If you want to bring it to the attention of NJT, then by all means do so; dont come here asking us what should be done about it. Its NJT business not yours; if they are going to do something about it, they will.

You can either take this messege I posted like a man and keep moving or take it the wrong way and lash out, and im not going to go that way.

What you see is what you see. Im going to be real careful on what I say here because right now you sound like someone who works in NJT asking something of this nature and im not going to say anything about this matter.

If you want to bring it to the attention of NJT, then by all means do so; dont come here asking us what should be done about it. Its NJT business not yours; if they are going to do something about it, they will.

You can either take this messege I posted like a man and keep moving or take it the wrong way and lash out, and im not going to go that way.

Well I do not work for NJ Transit and I'm not going to lash out. I didn't know it was a sensitive issue; it was just an observation that I was curious about. I'm not looking to start any trouble or get anyone in trouble. Sorry if you took it that way.

There's only one #551 driver who gives each passenger their receipt...

As for me, I take each one and I log them so I know how much I spent each day... And that includes the transfers. I will stop doing that starting next week because I finally have a monthly pass for October.

"For the longest, I didn't even know buses gave out receipts. As a kid, up until now i would always see long strings of yellow paper spewing out the machine and the driver balling them up and throwing it all in a bag. I always thought they were transfer slips.

There's this driver on the 26 line that will NOT let you sit down until he gives you your receipt though. Most people (like myself) looked at the thing like "wtf is this?", shrugged our shoulders then sat down. lmao"

"For the longest, I didn't even know buses gave out receipts. As a kid, up until now i would always see long strings of yellow paper spewing out the machine and the driver balling them up and throwing it all in a bag. I always thought they were transfer slips.

There's this driver on the 26 line that will NOT let you sit down until he gives you your receipt though. Most people (like myself) looked at the thing like "wtf is this?", shrugged our shoulders then sat down. lmao"

I also thought they were transfer slips when I first started riding the bus since I know some transit systems, particularly in Canada, issue you a transfer automatically when you board. I have come across a few drivers who actually made sure passengers took them when they boarded, but never asked to collect them when they get off. Most buses (even the new NABI's) also have a sign in the front that says "Hand Receipt to Driver When Getting Off". Not once have I ever seen anyone actually do that.

Archived