Event- NYC Rally Against Indian Point Oct 1st 2011

FamousNYLover

I don`t want to bump old thread from March.

I just saw on facebook.

Is anyone here planning to join them against Nuclear Power Point?

Almost every states are doing rally against Nuclear Power Plant, including Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=243481852330015

http://www.coalitionagainstnukes.org/

http://www.shutdownindianpointnow.org/

Gov. Andrew Coumo is also against Indian Point Power Plant.

Has Yuki become political in joining these protests Yuki i thought you hated politcs? Has the folks at NYPIRG changed your mind? Just confused.

Still not a knock just stating my takes.

I don`t want to bump old thread from March.

I just saw on facebook.

Is anyone here planning to join them against Nuclear Power Point?

Almost every states are doing rally against Nuclear Power Plant, including Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=243481852330015

http://www.coalitionagainstnukes.org/

http://www.shutdownindianpointnow.org/

Gov. Andrew Coumo is also against Indian Point Power Plant.

I plan on supporting Indian Point, they generate 25% of NYC's power according to their radio ad, they have strict safety requirements, and it wasnt the earthquake that killed the Japanese plant it was the tidal wave afterwards. The hudson river doesnt have waves like that.

With the ever increasing digital lives we live, and with people trying to buy electric cars, we are going to need all the power we can get. They should also finish the Shoreham plant as well instead of it sitting there idle.

Protesting against Indian Point? Wow, must be bored or something. Why not do something productive?

They should also finish the Shoreham plant as well instead of it sitting there idle.

The real zinger is that Shoreham was finished but the scaredy-cat politicians forced them to decommission the plant. While the plant did not produce electric commercially, it did undergo low power testing.

More eco-psycho nonsense. They don't want coal plants, we can't build hydro-electric dams the size of the Hoover Dam, we have to cut down on oil use, Wind turbines are shit if the wind is too strong or weak and ppl don't want them offshore blocking their ocean view....

WTF do they want? I'd prefer ppl like those be rounded up and dumped in the woods if they don't want the power sources. Complain, complain, complain.... how about decent alternatives then?

It is ridiculous to be "against" nuclear power. It is inherently a safe, clean, and efficient method of producing energy (by the way, those big clouds that come out of a nuclear power plant are just plain steam, nothing harmful in them).

It is fair to demand adequate security and fire/disaster protection plans and equipment to protect the plants. None of which Indian Point actually has. I believe they have a fire suppression system that covers 40% of the campus. Sad.

It is ridiculous to be "against" nuclear power. It is inherently a safe, clean, and efficient method of producing energy (by the way, those big clouds that come out of a nuclear power plant are just plain steam, nothing harmful in them).

It is fair to demand adequate security and fire/disaster protection plans and equipment to protect the plants. None of which Indian Point actually has. I believe they have a fire suppression system that covers 40% of the campus. Sad.

a better fire protection system is easy to retrofit into it if theres a need for it.

If you Think about it people die more for oil then Nuclear Energy, Why do you Think japan build so many plants? so they could be independent from foreign oil, so what do you want America? want to friends with dictators that you don't like and go to war? or finding an alternative? finding sources of energy will always have risks but Nuclear Energy less destructive then oil.

I cannot stand these freaking enviro-marxists. They are against oil, coal and everything else imaginable. These jerks would love to have live like we were back in the 16th century. Also, as lilbluefoxie brilliantly pointed out, the meltdown of Fukushima was because of the tsunami, not the earthquake. The likelihood of a tsunami hitting that plant is a 1000000000 to 1. We are not even in a region that is earthquake active.

Its not like shutting down Indian Point will cause that many issues , NYC gets 80% of its Electricity from Niagara Falls and Quebec Hydro-Electric plants. Same with New England and Eastern Canada. Indian Point is too close to growing populated areas so if it fails were all in trouble , I don't think we can really trust the plant owners.

Uh what? New York City gets more then 50% of it's power by burning natural gas. I have seen a pie chart for it. Only 8% of NYC's power is hydroelectric in origin, 7% of it is solar, 10% wind, and 25% of the rest is from Indian Point. Now I am sure there are coal, and many other power plants, but they provide less then 1% of power for NYC. Indian Point is the second largest provider of electric power to NYC. Closing it is stupid, and dumb. The only reason why Chernobyl happened is, because of engineering flaws, and they decided to do an experiment with the reactor, and Fukushima got hit by an earthquake/tsunami. Nuclear power is extremely safe and clean except for the waste that is produced. Also they shouldn't just finish the Shoreham Plant they should continue to build more nuclear power plants. They provide a lot of energy, and if we can come up with some technology for the waste that is produced then Nuclear Power would be extremely feasible even in the future.

Exactly. As I said, all the alternatives are either can't happen or they don't work. Nuclear is the only reasonable option. France seems to be able to handle their wastes, if the issue is what to do with the spent fuel rods, why not ask them for some help?

Japan's situation was not the earthquake, but the tsunami which cut the power supplying the cooling station. THat plus the design of the plant was decades out of date.

Archived