Evaluation of the June 2010 Service Reductions

IRT Bronx Express

Yeah, but my point was if you could afford the LIRR, you would use it naturally so how can you say that it's a "choice"? Everyone values their time, including you, and those who are willing to pay more for it don't see it as a "choice". That's time that they have with their family or to do whatever with.

The M5 carries somewhat, but it thins out past say Houston St, much like the M6 did. The subway in that area is a much quicker alternative and I know from experience.

Yeah, but it should be though... You can't sit here and tell me that a route like the M79 can compare to the M22 in terms of ridership and both of those routes are more like crosstown routes. And yeah those cuts are a big deal because the line was already crowded. That's like cutting (4) and (5) service by a few minutes and saying it isn't a big deal when that couldn't be any further from the truth. Why don't we pull out the numbers and look at ridership on lines like the M79 vs the M22 and the M9 and such. As for the M30, a lot of that was due to bunching problems. Buses tend to bunch quite a bit on 57th street, esp. the M57. Aside from that the M30 didn't run 24/7 anyway, so of course it wouldn't be that well utilized. And I'm sorry the M22 does not carry all of that well and neither does the M21 for that matter. I see plenty of EMPTY M22s Downtown there, so I don't buy it that the M22 gets such great ridership. I will however give you the M103, as that does carry well along with the M101, M102 and M14A/D.

After class at BMCC almost every M22 after 10 pm basically carries AIR YES AIR LITERALLY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! M22 plz that line has no business running after 11pm. Same with M5 south of houston and sometimes M20 after 10 they carry air literally nothing at all.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After class at BMCC almost every M22 after 10 pm basically carries AIR YES AIR LITERALLY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! M22 plz that line has no business running after 11pm. Same with M5 south of houston and sometimes M20 after 10 they carry air literally nothing at all.

LOL... Well look at that... Would've never thought we would agree on something... And let's not forget about the M8... I wouldn't have it axed it on the weekends, but when it did run, it took FOREVER to come... Better off walking.

Yeah, but it should be though... You can't sit here and tell me that a route like the M79 can compare to the M22 in terms of ridership and both of those routes are more like crosstown routes. And yeah those cuts are a big deal because the line was already crowded. That's like cutting (4) and (5) service by a few minutes and saying it isn't a big deal when that couldn't be any further from the truth. Why don't we pull out the numbers and look at ridership on lines like the M79 vs the M22 and the M9 and such. As for the M30, a lot of that was due to bunching problems. Buses tend to bunch quite a bit on 57th street, esp. the M57. Aside from that the M30 didn't run 24/7 anyway, so of course it wouldn't be that well utilized. And I'm sorry the M22 does not carry all of that well and neither does the M21 for that matter. I see plenty of EMPTY M22s Downtown there, so I don't buy it that the M22 gets such great ridership. I will however give you the M103, as that does carry well along with the M101, M102 and M14A/D.

Where did I say that the M22 had major ridership? I said that it was a major route for the area, not a high ridership route.....The M22 mainly carries during the AM & PM Rush Hours all the way into 9PM and I've lived along the M22 line to actually know this. And to compare a crosstown route with another route with less runs and less service is absolutely stupid.

Yeah, you wanna know why? People are at HOME in the Lower East Side / Downtown areas after 10pm, Captain Obvious....The M22 DOESNT carry going to Battery Park after 10pm, but it DOES carry going to the F.D.R after 10PM...and you can't debate this with me because I've lived along the M22 route for 15 years.

As for the M5s, its a hit and miss, I seen crowded M5s around City Hall and Canal Street after 10pm. M20s are always empty after 9.

LOL... Well look at that... Would've never thought we would agree on something... And let's not forget about the M8... I wouldn't have it axed it on the weekends, but when it did run, it took FOREVER to come... Better off walking.

ohh plz literally noone cared about that cut most of my friends there were laughing at ppl waiting for M8 on weekends. I always told the folk don't bother just walk and half the ppl would listen and walk

Where did I say that the M22 had major ridership? I said that it was a major route for the area, not a high ridership route.....The M22 mainly carries during the Rush Hour all the way into 9PM and I've lived along the M22 line to actually know this. And to compare a crosstown route with another route with less runs and less service is absolutely stupid.

Yeah, you wanna know why? People are at HOME in the Lower East Side / Downtown areas after 10pm, Captain Obvious....

As for the M5s, its a hit and miss, I seen crowded M5s around City Hall and Canal Street after 10pm. M20s are always empty after 9.

exactly why those lines should no longer run after 10PM

Something I really should point out.

Factoring in the typical (4)(5)(6) train delays, my commute takes just under 50% LONGER now.

I'm practically dead so in the mornings I've started to take the crosstown bus to Lex and it'll take about 15 minutes or so because of the lack of sufficient service. Even if there's a bus every 4 minutes or so it isn't enough at all; after it leaves 1st Avenue it's SRO. The train will take about 30 minutes with the typical delays, and then I've got a 15 minute walk.

That 15 minute walk in the winter is just pure hell that I've actually considered hailing a cab to get to the WFC from the subway but there weren't any around (similarly I've hailed a cab at night from the subway to get to York numerous times). In the winter I've also taken the shuttle to the (2)(3) a few times but they crawl south of 14th Street, take about the same time, but all those transfers are just annoying, plus having a commute that involves 3 trains and a bus when you live in Manhattan is just purely ridiculous.

maybe except M5 but the others are basically wasteful

You still can't read.....

Explain how this is wasteful.....

The M22 DOESNT carry going to Battery Park after 10pm, but it DOES carry going to the F.D.R after 10PM...and you can't debate this with me because I've lived along the M22 route for 15 years.

Until then, just stop.

After class at BMCC almost every M22 after 10 pm basically carries AIR YES AIR LITERALLY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! M22 plz that line has no business running after 11pm.

You say that, like the majority of M22 riders are BMCC students.....

....And let's not forget about the M8... I wouldn't have it axed it on the weekends, but when it did run, it took FOREVER to come... Better off walking.

I'm right by the M8.... used to take it to get to domino's for lunch along e. 8th st, short of 5th av.... don't use it anymore, for the simple fact that I can actually walk from HUDSON RIVER park, to 5th av, and beat the M8 - and all it takes is one double parked vehicle (and it's usually a dam fedex, ups, or dhl truck too).....

over the years, I notice the lil antics some drivers pull on that route... on 3 separate occasions, I've gotten kicked off the bus at 7th av (all, after walking from union sq to 8th st, and waiting at least 15 mins. for the damned bus to come to begin with) - that is not the last WB stop btw.....

Oh yeh, the b/o's that layover on the corner of greenwich/christopher (or anywhere along christopher really).... at least 80% of the time, b/o's that start their run there always skip the west st/christopher st stop (even if there's someone waiting there), and make the first pickup over there on washington.... I've gotten burned like that on several occasions when I started working in the west village... when I didn't know no better....

If there's no bus on layover at the west/christopher stop itself (the actual terminal), good luck boarding an M8 there.... the last few times I've bothered w/ the route, I walk over to that bus stop next to the school over on greenwich/w 8th.....

I wont give specific times, but I notice it's always the same driver (that does actually layover along west st) that dozes off over there.... some drivers actually layover on west st b/w morton & leroy (2 blocks away).... neither of which is too bright, due to the fact that Quill drivers use west st to deadhead to/from the depot......

oh well, Que sera sera....

The M22 DOESNT carry going to Battery Park after 10pm, but it DOES carry going to the F.D.R after 10PM... and you can't debate this with me because I've lived along the M22 route for 15 years.

All he has to do is go stand over there on Park Row, and watch EB M22's pickup & carry actual people (instead of [the hot] "air" [he's blowing]).....

I pretty much given up talkin about, and actually takin M20's.... man, west village is surrounded by sh**ty bus service (M20, 21, M8)...anyway, sometimes when I walk down broadway to catch the BM's over there on state st late nights, the M5 south of like prince st around that time do have about 10 ppl. on the buses or so (much to my surprise)... one of those things that, if it's in the distance, ppl. will wait at the stops for it & take it....

^^ come to think of it, all this time, and I've never taken the M6 (well, the M5 now) after work to xfer to the BM's.... when that cool breeze hits me, it makes me wanna walk further, and faster (like last night)....

You say that, like the majority of M22 riders are BMCC students.....

All he has to do is go stand over there on Park Row, and watch EB M22's pickup & carry actual people (instead of [the hot] "air" [he's blowing]).....

I pretty much given up talkin about, and actually takin M20's.... man, west village is surrounded by sh**ty bus service (M20, 21, M8)...anyway, sometimes when I walk down broadway to catch the BM's over there on state st late nights, the M5 south of like prince st around that time do have about 10 ppl. on the buses or so (much to my surprise)... one of those things that, if it's in the distance, ppl. will wait at the stops for it & take it....

^^ come to think of it, all this time, and I've never taken the M6 (well, the M5 now) after work to xfer to the BM's.... when that cool breeze hits me, it makes me wanna walk further, and faster (like last night)....

The M22 is more of the working class and hospital employees / patients than BMCC students, most BMCC students take the train because the M22 always gets caught in that hot mess around Chambers...If I were to put this into a percentage type comparison. It would be this

Working class & hospital patients / employees : 80%. BMCC Students : 20%.

I honestly dont know where he gets his sour BS from (then again, who does...?)....This is why I always advise him to stop talking about things he has no knowledge about....Always spewing some false BS about routes he knows nothing about...

The West Village was always a clusterf*ck when it came down to transit options. 99.9% of the time, I can guarantee that you'd see more crowded (1) trains over M20s after 7:30pm....

M21 service, however...I can't really say. Although I have seen crowded buses at 9PM....

I noticed that same thing with the M8 like you did...it would always happen to me last year...there were days when I didnt feel like taking the PATH up to the (F) train, so I got off at Christopher Street and walked to the last stop. To my surprise, I saw an M8 parked at the corner of the next stop.....I've walked from the West Side to St.Marks/Astor Place and by the time I got to the K-Mart, an M8 would show up....

Where did I say that the M22 had major ridership? I said that it was a major route for the area, not a high ridership route.....The M22 mainly carries during the AM & PM Rush Hours all the way into 9PM and I've lived along the M22 line to actually know this. And to compare a crosstown route with another route with less runs and less service is absolutely stupid.

Yeah well you certainly implied it by talking about how many bus routes the Lower East Side lost and how high ridership is down there. I still say run the numbers. I believe that ridership is higher on the Upper East Side/Yorkville, and not just marginally either. Then again that depends on how particular you want to get and which bus lines you want to include.

The M22 is more of the working class and hospital employees / patients than BMCC students, most BMCC students take the train because the M22 always gets caught in that hot mess around Chambers...If I were to put this into a percentage type comparison. It would be this

Working class & hospital patients / employees : 80%. BMCC Students : 20%.

I honestly dont know where he gets his sour BS from (then again, who does...?)....This is why I always advise him to stop talking about things he has no knowledge about....Always spewing some false BS about routes he knows nothing about...

The West Village was always a clusterf*ck when it came down to transit options. 99.9% of the time, I can guarantee that you'd see more crowded (1) trains over M20s after 7:30pm....

M21 service, however...I can't really say. Although I have seen crowded buses at 9PM....

I noticed that same thing with the M8 like you did...it would always happen to me last year...there were days when I didnt feel like taking the PATH up to the (F) train, so I got off at Christopher Street and walked to the last stop. To my surprise, I saw an M8 parked at the corner of the next stop.....I've walked from the West Side to St.Marks/Astor Place and by the time I got to the K-Mart, an M8 would show up....

- late night EB M21's.... yeh, they tend to get crowded... first significant string of passengers board over there at that stop on 6th/spring.... after it picks up w/e pax at 6th/houston, those buses are at least 75% full (of course, that has to do w/ how infrequent service is on that route).....

WB M21's @ that time, those things empty out at broadway/lafayette.... around 9/10 pm is when you start to see M21's on layover on the corner of houston/7th, right next to that bank....

- the (1) train.... in general, the local stops b/w 14th & chambers, houston st gets the grunt of the pax, then it's christopher, then canal, then franklin.... I can also make that same guarantee, although I myself don't take the 1 much anymore (coming or going); that's largely b/c I don't want to deal w/ the (2)....

- M22 comment... you say 80/20, I'll go as far as 90/10 (that's another reason why I don't take the (2) goin home anymore, dam BMCC students... hate having to wait at that stop.... them sons of guns be waitin @ chambers well after 10pm; aint know that many students tend to take night classes these days).... overall point is, BMCC students aren't plugging up M22's like that.... who knows where this guy gets his info from.....

- M8, yep... lol... as I headed toward HUDSON RIVER park to eat lunch park, I saw 3 buses parked along christopher (with a 4th one heading towards greenwich st, just past the PATH station)... by time I crossed west st after having finished eatin, 2 of them powered on... one went back to the depot (I'm assuming, b/c it was OOS), and one was signed as an M8..... there was no one waiting at the west st stop though.... buses are supposed to leave every 15 mins. after 2pm, but way I see it, it's more like every 20 mins.... and when buses are supposed to leave every 20 mins (around 12-1pm), they're leaving every 1/2 hour....

Yeah well you certainly implied it by talking about how many bus routes the Lower East Side lost and how high ridership is down there. I still say run the numbers. I believe that ridership is higher on the Upper East Side/Yorkville, and not just marginally either. Then again that depends on how particular you want to get and which bus lines you want to include.

You're correct. See my post further back: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=485632&postcount=74

- late night EB M21's.... yeh, they tend to get crowded... first significant string of passengers board over there at that stop on 6th/spring.... after it picks up w/e pax at 6th/houston, those buses are at least 75% full (of course, that has to do w/ how infrequent service is on that route).....

WB M21's @ that time, those things empty out at broadway/lafayette.... around 9/10 pm is when you start to see M21's on layover on the corner of houston/7th, right next to that bank....

- the (1) train.... in general, the local stops b/w 14th & chambers, houston st gets the grunt of the pax, then it's christopher, then canal, then franklin.... I can also make that same guarantee, although I myself don't take the 1 much anymore (coming or going); that's largely b/c I don't want to deal w/ the (2)....

- M22 comment... you say 80/20, I'll go as far as 90/10 (that's another reason why I don't take the (2) goin home anymore, dam BMCC students... hate having to wait at that stop.... them sons of guns be waitin @ chambers well after 10pm; aint know that many students tend to take night classes these days).... overall point is, BMCC students aren't plugging up M22's like that.... who knows where this guy gets his info from.....

- M8, yep... lol... as I headed toward HUDSON RIVER park to eat lunch park, I saw 3 buses parked along christopher (with a 4th one heading towards greenwich st, just past the PATH station)... by time I crossed west st after having finished eatin, 2 of them powered on... one went back to the depot (I'm assuming, b/c it was OOS), and one was signed as an M8..... there was no one waiting at the west st stop though.... buses are supposed to leave every 15 mins. after 2pm, but way I see it, it's more like every 20 mins.... and when buses are supposed to leave every 20 mins (around 12-1pm), they're leaving every 1/2 hour....

correct very few BMCC ppl have patience for M22 so most of the ridership must be from elsewhere and mostly on the east side

correct very few BMCC ppl have patience for M22 so most of the ridership must be from elsewhere and mostly on the east side

Don't act like you knew a damn thing about the route when I just schooled you about it....

Yeah, I said that the L.E.S has high ridership, and I did say that all the routes that I listed were major routes in the area. But I DID NOT SAY OR IMPLIED that ALL of the routes mentioned were high ridership routes. All I said was that the area in general gathers high ridership and the routes are major and necessary for the areas served. Stop reading too far into my posts.

Don't act like you knew a damn thing about the route when I just schooled you about it....

Yeah, I said that the L.E.S has high ridership, and I did say that all the routes that I listed were major routes in the area. But I DID NOT SAY OR IMPLIED that ALL of the routes mentioned were high ridership routes. All I said was that the area in general gathers high ridership and the routes are major and necessary for the areas served. Stop reading too far into my posts.

dude ur taking this WAY TOO seriously we get it man they are needed and have medium ridership

dude ur taking this WAY TOO seriously we get it man they are needed and have medium ridership

Yeah, I took it seriously because you acted like you knew a damn thing about the route, in which you knew absolutely nothing.....BMCC students taking the M22.....SMFH

Sit down!

Oh come on now... You know you've been saying that the L.E.S lost the most service in terms service versus the Upper East Side, but ridership is higher on the Upper East Side AND more cost effective and that was my point, thus they shouldn't be losing that much service because they use their service overall more than the Lower East Side does and it is cheaper to run, and here are the stats to prove it. With that I rest my case. B) :cool:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=485632&postcount=74

Oh come on now... You know you've been saying that the L.E.S lost the most service in terms service versus the Upper East Side, but ridership is higher on the Upper East Side AND more cost effective and that was my point, thus they shouldn't be losing that much service because they use their service overall more than the Lower East Side does and it is cheaper to run, and here are the stats to prove it. With that I rest my case. B) :cool:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=485632&postcount=74

With this NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't want cuts USE YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

With this NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't want cuts USE YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

duh no shit shirlock i know that

Stop with the damn yelling. You don't know a motherf*cking thing about the (M22) so stop acting like you do!

Archived