Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
goten2255

Working for the MTA and going to college.. Is it possible?

i want to know something if i work for the MTA and go to college is it possible for me to do it?

will they allow part time workers to work for the MTA? or is the MTA more of a full time job.

i maybe moving in a couple of months and i want to know if this is possible?

i want to know something if i work for the MTA and go to college is it possible for me to do it?

will they allow part time workers to work for the MTA? or is the MTA more of a full time job.

Forget about it

MTA owns you and they will not let you take classes ( unless you take it around their schedule, but there is no way to know shift you will have in a day or a week or next year )

You can... I considered it myself when I was thinking about going to NYU for grad school last year. They do offer programs with colleges that allow you to work with them while attending school and that may be the best way to do it. I did a paid internship with them for two summers while in high school, so they do have programs out there for high school or college students. There are some folks that also do take classes where possible and work with the (MTA), but don't go through the program per se, so it would be tricky to say be hired by them and then take classes, but not impossible either.

i dont work there (yet) but from what i understand, the blue collar workers have very erratic schedules, but the white collar employees would probably be able to do it

now that i think about it i am still thinking about this and i am not going to move yet.

but i want to change the subject what about Amtrak can i work for them and still go to college is Amtrak much more intense then the MTA?

What department and what title in MTA specifically are you asking about?

MTA is definitely a full time job, but depending on how you answer the last question, it could be "possible" or it could be "completely impossible"

Bus Op, Train Op, Conductor; forget about school. That 1st year will basically be impossible and with the irregular hrs, if you even try attending school you will be fighting sleep. You maybe can try online classes but again with the irregular hours it will be impossible.

If you plan to work for the MTA you are basically signing your life over to them; more like if you go into the army, you belong to the government.

I know plently of ppl I went to school with who graduated from college with a degree and are working at dead jobs like at t. My gf sister has a masters degree and she works at sprint. Unless you going to school in healthcare finding a job is going to be hard. This is one of the reasons why I chose getting a CDL because I damn sure wasnt going to waste my moms money then couldnt find a job. Most people that go to school for something end up not even working in the field they studied in. So if you want to go to school or currently in school, then the MTA isnt for you if you want one of the said job titles. My cousin is a train op and he went to school for business managment.

Bus Op, Train Op, Conductor; forget about school. That 1st year will basically be impossible and with the irregular hrs, if you even try attending school you will be fighting sleep. You maybe can try online classes but again with the irregular hours it will be impossible.

If you plan to work for the MTA you are basically signing your life over to them; more like if you go into the army, you belong to the government.

I know plently of ppl I went to school with who graduated from college with a degree and are working at dead jobs like at t. My gf sister has a masters degree and she works at sprint. Unless you going to school in healthcare finding a job is going to be hard. This is one of the reasons why I chose getting a CDL because I damn sure wasnt going to waste my moms money then couldnt find a job. Most people that go to school for something end up not even working in the field they studied in. So if you want to go to school or currently in school, then the MTA isnt for you if you want one of the said job titles. My cousin is a train op and he went to school for business managment.

Same mentality here, as soon as I received my pre-employment letter from the TA I dropped those classes with a heartbeat. Lucky for me I just have to pay back about $700 in student loans. A lot of people I know are like, "but don't you want to have a degree?" And as stated unless it's for healthcare (which I currently work in) it is not worth the financial strain with tuition on the rise each year. (Plus I have always wanted to work for the MTA so for me it's a win-win situation lol)

Same mentality here, as soon as I received my pre-employment letter from the TA I dropped those classes with a heartbeat. Lucky for me I just have to pay back about $700 in student loans. A lot of people I know are like, "but don't you want to have a degree?" And as stated unless it's for healthcare (which I currently work in) it is not worth the financial strain with tuition on the rise each year. (Plus I have always wanted to work for the MTA so for me it's a win-win situation lol)

Smart decision. MTA is a career, as long as you can stomach it...it's not for everyone. But MTA is not just a "job" you can get as far as you want within the organization with a clear application process for each title, whether it's civil service or not. And if you work in RTO, you'll have job security because crews are always needed for trains.

That beats most of the jobs out there these days. It's not perfect but you'll have job security, good pay, etc.

Nowadays anyone who can't get a job it seems goes to law school or business school. The MBA a-holes and the lawyer's who did it for the money are the ones ruining things in the world nowadays. The planet is oversaturated with lawyers who are eager to chase anything that smells like money, and there are a ton of dime a dozen "businessmen" who studied all about management and leadership but don't have a damn iota of knowledge about the actual industries they are managing again - they believe (wrongly) that management strategies are the same for all industries and that good people management can overcome a lack of knowledge of the operations of the business and its industry. This is true everywhere. Going to school for those kinds of programs at this point is counterproductive to the individual. About half of people who graduate from graduate schools, as a matter of fact, wind up with low earning jobs. The other half wind up with high earning jobs. Few wind up in the middle. A lot of how they turn out is who they know, also.

The only school really WORTH going to anymore is engineering school if you have the skills to succeed at it. Those are high paying in demand jobs, but most people can't do the math (myself included) to succeed at those jobs.

Good luck to you in your new career at MTA and welcome

thank you guys i really want to go into the MTA i like public transportation ever since i was a kid and i want to thank you all for the help as well.

i want to know about something does the MTA also hire people like office jobs like Customer service, i want to give a bit of a background of me that if you can help me out.

i work in retail, i have experience with customer service, cashier, self check out, lost pervention, carts, and food court.

and i always do my best in my job and i am wondering if the MTA can hire people for customer service?

i understand the MTA is a career and i want to do it but problem is i live in Florida Miami to be exact and i want to know how can i transfer to NYC?

i also want to help my mom i want a job where i can be happy doing it because i love to do it and i know its not easy but i can enjoy it, good pay, benefits, vacations i also want to be able to travel as well to see the world.

i also been thinking of going into radio and tv maybe be a voice actor alot of people have said i have a good voice like an announcer so hmm working for the MTA and being in radio, TV?

Edited by goten2255

Lets just say working for the MTA you can make more money then ppl that have 4yr degrees, i too was in college for computer science but as soon as i got that call i ran like a bat out of hell. Like how others stated, now and days its hard to find a job with a degree. I have friends that have 4yr degree and dont have jobs yet or working at dead end jobs. They tell me all the time im lucky for the position that i have. I know couple of B/O from other depots including my depot where they already up around the 90 G mark, and the year not even up SMH. With MTA you can really make some serious money if you have your mind right keep your hands clean and just do what you have to.:tup: Any title within the MTA you can make some serious money weather surface or underground,weather your civil or not, weather your TA,OA or MTABC, weather TWU or ATU, your going to make money and be protected for life.:tup:

but i want to know something if i apply to the MTA and since i live in Florida i don't mind relocating i want to be able to help get a career so i can be happy working for what i want to do in life, being able to explore the world and also being able to help my mom and family i care about them deeply.

i think i am up for it but the thing is do i have to fill an application or how does it work to get into the MTA?

Like everyone said, going to college is not going to be possible while working for the MTA in the beginning since you wil be working irregular hours and could get stuck working overtime. You might be able to do some online classes, but that is about it. Once you get senioirty and can work a steady schedule, then you might be able to handle classes. I don't know about the MTA, but I have heard of plenty of stories about cops going to law school at night. So if a cop can do it, then certainly an MTA employee can since they both have smiliar schedules.

i want to know something is there a job application i have to do on the site i live in Miami Florida and i want to relocate i believe i mentioned this before?

umm also i want to mention another thing how is the interview of this and where do i usually have to do in an interview? what is the requirements to be working in the job do i got to have experience i started to work in jobs since 2005 does this help?

also will they hire anybody that lives in another state like New Jersey but can work in the state of New york?

i am sorry for asking lots of questions is that i am curious about the industry and i want to make a life changing decision.

and people here says i can get good pay, vacations, etc sounds better then what i am in college for to be a teacher but i relise its not going to work.

i also want to thank you guys for helping me because i really want to be working with all of you and you know i like the idea i was born in NYC and it will always be my hometown.

Edited by goten2255

i want to know something is there a job application i have to do on the site i live in Miami Florida and i want to relocate i believe i mentioned this before?

umm also i want to mention another thing how is the interview of this and where do i usually have to do in an interview? what is the requirements to be working in the job do i got to have experience i started to work in jobs since 2005 does this help?

also will they hire anybody that lives in another state like New Jersey but can work in the state of New york?

i am sorry for asking lots of questions is that i am curious about the industry and i want to make a life changing decision.

and people here says i can get good pay, vacations, etc sounds better then what i am in college for to be a teacher but i relise its not going to work.

i also want to thank you guys for helping me because i really want to be working with all of you and you know i like the idea i was born in NYC and it will always be my hometown.

Depends on the position.

-Civil service you will have to apply for and take an exam (given in NYC). You will not have to interview.

-Non civil service, you may have to apply for and take an exam (given in NYC). You may have to interview. Follow the guidelines on the notice for the position on the MTA website.

civil service is that like train operators, bus operators and such and what is non civil service?

umm yeah i am going to have to relocate but this means i need to have a job meanwhile i get into the MTA darn but i am willing to do it.

hmmm what do i need to bring for the exam or what i need to study for? also what do i need to be on the look out once i get into the MTA.

anytips anything that can help? sorry for the many questions

civil service is that like train operators, bus operators and such and what is non civil service?

umm yeah i am going to have to relocate but this means i need to have a job meanwhile i get into the MTA darn but i am willing to do it.

hmmm what do i need to bring for the exam or what i need to study for? also what do i need to be on the look out once i get into the MTA.

anytips anything that can help? sorry for the many questions

I think the past several posts (except for the one above) have given you most of what you need to apply for the MTA. There isn't anything in particular to study for when applying for open competitive RTO related jobs. Study guides can't hurt, but the exams assume you don't know about the intricacies of the work involved and just test your general common sense and/or knowledge about general safety ( not that it's an actual question but stuff like, if a teenaged mom dropped her baby onto the tracks of an oncoming train, should you fish the kid out? obviously you should save the baby whenever possible, but the real answer is contact the authorities or other MTA personnel, or if you were prescribed glasses should you wear them? or if it's a nice sunny day out and you put on your shades, when the train goes underground should you still be wearing your shades? of course not, or if a guy has a gun pointing it at someone and you're behind him should you subdue and apprehend the thug? of course you should put him through the glass and choke him but he real answer is call the police) See usually someone else knows what to do faster and better than you. There will also be a 2-3 questions that assume you know a little about riding the subway in NYC, but you'll get away with it by looking at whatever graph/map or picture provided. Take the exams seriously and you'll score high 90's or best. The real studying begins later if/when you make it to schoolcar. Visit the below link to get a general idea of what requirements you must have prior to examinations as some of them have similar or exact prerequisites to RTO jobs. Conductor for now requires no prior knowledge or work experience. You can bring a pencil and a calculator that you'll never use, thats about it.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/employment/monthlyexamschedule.shtml

Non civil service is pretty much everything else. Check the mta website under employment and see what opportunities are listed. Keep checking back until you find one you are qualified for and interested in.

Non civil service is pretty much everything else. Check the mta website under employment and see what opportunities are listed. Keep checking back until you find one you are qualified for and interested in.

Not true. Any person you physically can see while using the system is civil service not just T/O, C/R and B/O. Anyone who works in NYCTA and MTA Bridges and Tunnels(TBTA) are civil service, MTA Bus Company and MaBSTOA are not civil service. Even though their hiring, lay off and reinstatement policies closely mirror civil service practices. Most people who work in the offices are non-civil service employees. And all LIRR and MNRR employees are non-civil service employees.

Not true. Any person you physically can see while using the system is civil service not just T/O, C/R and B/O. Anyone who works in NYCTA and MTA Bridges and Tunnels(TBTA) are civil service, MTA Bus Company and MaBSTOA are not civil service. Even though their hiring, lay off and reinstatement policies closely mirror civil service practices. Most people who work in the offices are non-civil service employees. And all LIRR and MNRR employees are non-civil service employees.

I'm giving him the simple answer without going through the literally thousands of titles in each.

The bottom line is any opening listed will explain the requirements and process for applying for the job.

So if a cop can do it, then certainly an MTA employee can since they both have smiliar schedules.

No they dont...

Unless said RTO person has a "picked" Job with set days off...

Thats only for six months....

Yeah they pick Days off down here as well what you get one pick you sometimes dont get the next...