Middle Village Community Slams Q38 Delay

FamousNYLover

Sound like the Q38 needs a major restructure. I admit i don't Middle Village/Maspeth/Ridgewood that well with ridership patterns, etc. With that said, I always felt that a second Flushing-Ridgewood bus line to help out the busy and often congested (Q58) would be a big help.

It could also provide a link from Ridgewood/Middle Village to/from Queens College via Eliot Ave between Fresh Pond and Woodhaven. While the (Q38) IMO should be shortned to run only Fresh Pond/67th Ave (M) station and

108th Street/Horace Harding via Juniper Valley section. Also get rid of all of the numerous turns in the Corona/East Elmhurst/Maspeth/Middle Village that many of the (MTA) bus former triboro routes still operate on.

So yes Western Queens really since like 1999, needs a major bus makeover as the area has exploded with one of the country's fastest growing areas over the last 30 years.

If you are driving that bus and you do not look down the street before you turn on some of the streets.....you will be sitting there for a min.....you have to come up to the corner and inch the bus up and look down the block to make sure nobody else is coming down the street and then make your dash....and even still people will make the turn and just sit and look at you...as to say back the bus up.....so that is the problem....cut and dry.....narrow streets!! and A-hole drivers!!

;)

My question is where are the buses that are supposed to be there and what is the (MTA)'s explanation for the MIA buses??? Hum??? :mad:

The buses are probably OOS @ CP, but the MTA ain't gonna tell you that.

TOO much traffic and the tedious roundabout routing already HURTS RELIABILITY ON THIS LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the neighborhood

This to me is a situation where the MTA has to figure out why the delays are happening, because the only true chokepoint on the line is Queens Center Mall.

The other "choke points" are located throughout the route, as in double parkers, parked in no standing zones at turns, etc.

MTA!!!! are you listening? The Q-38 Needs to be split into 2 routes!!!! PERIOD. Its current travel path needs to be COMPLETELY restructured.

The MTA doesn't care to listen to the public, and I agree with route change.

If you are driving that bus and you do not look down the street before you turn on some of the streets.....so that is the problem....cut and dry.....narrow streets!! and A-hole drivers!!

;)

:)Ah, someone who has worked it and knows. This is like when the Q67 used Admiral Ave to turnaround, you name it, the locals did it to get that bus off their block and make life miserable for the driver, double parked cars, garbage cans in street, parking in no standing zones, etc.

Middle Village folks need to change mentality, you all ain't in your own village, you are in the middle of a boro so play nice and let the buses through, then you will have the service you want!

The buses are probably OOS @ CP, but the MTA ain't gonna tell you that.

Welcome to the neighborhood

The other "choke points" are located throughout the route, as in double parkers, parked in no standing zones at turns, etc.

The MTA doesn't care to listen to the public, and I agree with route change.

:)Ah, someone who has worked it and knows. This is like when the Q67 used Admiral Ave to turnaround, you name it, the locals did it to get that bus off their block and make life miserable for the driver, double parked cars, garbage cans in street, parking in no standing zones, etc.

Middle Village folks need to change mentality, you all ain't in your own village, you are in the middle of a boro so play nice and let the buses through, then you will have the service you want!

sadly YOU WILL HAVE TO RAPE THEIR POCKETS BEFORE THE FOOLS UNDERSTAND TO LET THE BUS THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously ravage their asses with fines then use the revenue to enhance service

If you are driving that bus and you do not look down the street before you turn on some of the streets.....you will be sitting there for a min.....you have to come up to the corner and inch the bus up and look down the block to make sure nobody else is coming down the street and then make your dash....and even still people will make the turn and just sit and look at you...as to say back the bus up.....so that is the problem....cut and dry.....narrow streets!! and A-hole drivers!!

:)

That happens on the S46 too in Mariners' Harbor. Whoever laid the street grid out in that area was clearly high. Anybody with half a brain should've seen that Walker Street and Brabant Street, being the largest streets in the area should've been connected, instead of having to loop around to get between them.

You do have delays because of cars blocking the bus from turning (or sometimes another bus who forgets to look when coming around the turn), but it's probably worse on the Q38, though.

• 4 weeks later...

One section that will as screw up the Q38 is Penelope Avenue section, in which if two buses are on the same street, on has to wait at the nearest bus stop while the other bus passes. If a car double parks on that strech of road, the bus either waits for the car to get into a parking space (which can take forever) or will rewind to the nearest large parking space or bus stop, which in some cases there are none of those on that block. If there are two buses in which one is waiting on one side and the other on the other side, it's chaos. My suggestion is to use 63 Avenue until 80 street, and then go on 80 street until Juniper Valley Road, and then return to it's normal route. The MTA and the DOT have to think about these buses when sending them on such roads, as it will delay them.

Archived