Subway Peeves

7LineFan

What annoys you most on the subway?

My pet peeve is that most people always crowd around the door area. They never move into the center of the car between the doors, especially when they are not getting off at the next stop. They also stand right by the door and don't move, clogging the area. This always results in a lot of pushing, shoving, overcrowding, and trains I have to let pass.

My pet peeve is that most people always crowd around the door area. They never move into the center of the car between the doors, especially when they are not getting off at the next stop. They also stand right by the door and don't move, clogging the area. This always results in a lot of pushing, shoving, overcrowding, and trains I have to let pass.

That is my subway peeve word for word. I couldn't agree more. It seems to happen less on the 160's but notorious on the 68's and 44's.

My least favorite thing about the subway is how everybody crowds on one car. As my favorite conductor, John on the (1), says "Ladies and gentlemen, there are 30 doors on this train, please don't crowd at one." I have to agree with you guys above, it is annoying how people crowd at the door areas... especially when you're the one getting off at the next stop, but you got on at a side platform and the next station is island.

My pet peeves about trains or the subway are:

Oh what bugs me about trains when express trains run express on the local track.....hello express trains are suppose to run on the express track not the local track

Another that bugs me about trains....on the R-142/A/S and R-143 the handicap seats are made for one person seater not 2 seater person...so that means stand the f%$k up like everyone else you silly ignorant fools

What bugs me if you see that train is already crowded...why the hell are pushing to get on while theres another train right behind that one genius

My main pet peeve is when people hold the doors open for other people. Another one is when after the c/r closes the doors and then lets someone on after closing the doors. I also don't like c/rs who work slowly. I remember there was one c/r on the (B) who would switch cars once the train would come to a complete stop!

Ah, that reminds me how much I hate it when people hold the doors. Last time I was in the city, I was on an R160 (N), I get on, the doors actually close, then pop back open, a tourist catches one and then holds it open so the entire party (oh say 10 people) behind him can squeeze through the half-door. I wanted to push him back out the door and let it close soooooooo badly. Of course, I did nothing, but the conductor did play the "ladies and gentlemen, don't hold the f-ing doors" announcement.

The only time I ever think it's OK to hold open a door is if:

-someone is already stuck and you are helping them (done this)

-it's for a kid who's parent rushes on the train with the kid BEHIND them who might get caught/separated and you are standing at the door in a position to help the kid (done this also, some parents just DONT get it...also told the parent next time she should either make sure her kid was with her or wait with her kid for the next one)

As for C/R's who reopen the doors for people I got no problem with that during late nights or other long intervals, I mean it's just a courtesy they can CHOOSE to do since the next one's not going to be for a while...I got no problem with that. I mean if I was in the middle I wouldn't want to be the guy that didn't let someone on a train in a bad neighborhood and found out something happened to them later, catch my drift.

As for the conductor on the (B) waiting till the train stopped to switch cars, there's different reasons they might do that...one might be not being comfortable walking between "A" ends on slants, if that was the car type in question.

My biggest pet peeve is people who do not step all the way into an empty or near empty car at a crowded station. Followed closely by people who find it necessary to stand RIGHT on top of you when you are seated and hit you with their shopping bags. Put the bags on the floor. Same with people wearing book bags. Take 'em off and put 'em between your legs, sitting or standing. Also honorable mention to anyone who puts any part of their body other than their HAND on a pole or grab handle. There's no reason to armpit cuddle with a pole.

That and I strongly dislike tourists...for reasons that are pretty obvious. Not all tourists...just the ones that make it obvious that they are tourists by the very behavior that makes the "subway peeves" thread...

As for the conductor on the (B) waiting till the train stopped to switch cars, there's different reasons they might do that...one might be not being comfortable walking between "A" ends on slants, if that was the car type in question.
Actually, you wouldn't need to walk between "A" ends on an R40 Slant train unless its an 8 or 4 car train. On a 10 car train, you would be walking between the "B" ends of the 5th and 6th cars.

That C/R is just really cautious, not used to walking in between cars while train is in motion.

About people holding doors... yeah, that pisses me off too. I've seen people stick their limbs into closing doors to force the conductor to reopen them. I've seen people holding doors to let someone on. Heck, I've seen one guy on the train trying to force the door open so he could get off since he was on the wrong train! 30 seconds later, he gave up.

All this boils down to is: Holding doors delays train service and makes everyone late, and pisses people off big time.

Express trains on the local track are supposed to run express unless otherwise directed, from what I've heard. They must have been redirected or something.

People who don't move into the middle of the car. I can tell you right now, the (6) train northbound during rush hour is really packed but would be less so if people actually moved the hell in. Also accounts for people who walk into a subway car and then just sotp. Right in fornt of the doorway. Hey idiot there's people behind you also trying to get in. Move in.

DON'T HOLD THE GOD DAMN DOORS. Half of the delays on the subway that aren't signal problems or sick passengers are idiots holding the doors. Just get the hell on, tell people to move in if you dont fit, or wait for the next one. if you hold a door you're making another ignorant new yorker ***** and whine about the system.

And also one that's a little more personal. Whenever I take the subway and railfan near popular tourist areas I get these looks from people (sometimes other tourists) because of my questionable ethnicity (south asian...). If I'm carrying a camera people look at me like I don't speak english and keep their eye on me. If I have a lot of homework my bookbag is pretty big and then people give me strange looks as if they're scared. Dude. Relax. I speak english. And I'm not gonna freaking blow up your house.

Actually, you wouldn't need to walk between "A" ends on an R40 Slant train unless its an 8 or 4 car train. On a 10 car train, you would be walking between the "B" ends of the 5th and 6th cars.

That C/R is just really cautious, not used to walking in between cars while train is in motion.

Yup your right my bad...fifth and sixth cars would be a "B" end. on an 8 car train it would still be a "B" end though because the "A" ends don't have door controls, so the C/R would be out of a 3/5 position...heh i musta been tired when i wrote that.

My main pet peeve, is when people (especially larger people) insist on squeezing into the middle seat on the R68/R46/R44 cars. It makes for a very uncomfortable ride

Actually larger people in general are a pet peeve, especially since there is a growing number in America by the day, and they are SO F***ing sensitive about their weight yet refuse to lose it. Weight is not something like ethnicity that you are born with. If you don't like fat jokes, lose the weight. I'm skinny, and you don't hear skinny people complaining about skinny jokes, but yet it's "politically correct" to not make fat jokes or establish policy or encourage them to lose some weight???

And aside from fat jokes, I think it would be GREAT if there was what was known as a WEET (Wide Entry Exit Turnstile)...can't fit through a regular turnstile? Fine, go through the WEET and pay two fares, because it's obvious you're going to be taking two seats on the train.

HUGE pet peeve no pun intended B)

Actually larger people in general are a pet peeve, especially since there is a growing number in America by the day, and they are SO F***ing sensitive about their weight yet refuse to lose it. Weight is not something like ethnicity that you are born with. If you don't like fat jokes, lose the weight. I'm skinny, and you don't hear skinny people complaining about skinny jokes, but yet it's "politically correct" to not make fat jokes or establish policy or encourage them to lose some weight???

And aside from fat jokes, I think it would be GREAT if there was what was known as a WEET (Wide Entry Exit Turnstile)...can't fit through a regular turnstile? Fine, go through the WEET and pay two fares, because it's obvious you're going to be taking two seats on the train.

LMAO!!!! And I agree totally. $4 a ride also might help them start losing weight to save money.

LOL! Funny stuff.......What is sad is there are so many gyms, or you can buy a Bowflex or something. All it takes is will power. I was once fat (207lbs at fattest), but I'm down to an anorexic 145lbs...........Actually I see fat as 350+lbs. 5'2 250lbs, that is fat, but not WEET fat, nor enough fat for me to make light of. 5'2 400lbs is WEET, and joke fat......

Yup your right my bad...fifth and sixth cars would be a "B" end. on an 8 car train it would still be a "B" end though because the "A" ends don't have door controls, so the C/R would be out of a 3/5 position...heh i musta been tired when i wrote that.

I thought R42s were the only ones that don't have door controls on "A" ends?

• People constantly asking for the same exact directions you said 5 times already.

• Hobos.

• Fat people who purposely make you get up by squeezing you with thier blubber. (If you're a fat girl, fine by me!) Wait did I just admit that?

• Weekends. All you get is these changes in service that's hard to keep up with.

• People asking me for change, they always go to me first because I dress like I got money, don't let the nice clothes fool you, I'm broke like QV Hybrids.

When trains sit at a station forever making me miss my train home when i would have made it otherwise. Also, when a train sits at a terminal for-ev-er even after a train on the other track comes and goes!! Service on the (7)<7>!!

- Andy

Personally, I don't like it when riders complain about service changes that are right in their face. When they're not notified extensively, that's fine, but when posters are on every other pillar of the station, that's different.

Archived