2 to South Ferry with a twist

Amtrak7

But what is the point of running the (2) to Dyre and the (5) to East 241st? Everything else about this G.O. I understand, but not why the (2) and (5) are being flipped north of East 180th Street.
The best I can think of is the (2) from Dyre Av to South Ferry would mirror the normal (5) from Dyre to Bowling Green; while the (5) from 241st to Flatbush would mirror the regular (2).

But what is the point of running the (2) to Dyre and the (5) to East 241st? Everything else about this G.O. I understand, but not why the (2) and (5) are being flipped north of East 180th Street.
The best I can think of is the (2) from Dyre Av to South Ferry would mirror the normal (5) from Dyre to Bowling Green; while the (5) from 241st to Flatbush would mirror the regular (2).

Your Answer.. VV

No Track work in the Bronx exept 2 tk is out at E 180 St only. They are doing it to keep the crews in place but will confuse people in the BX. I don't thingk they saving Money because they got to ADD jobs out of Dyre since its going to South Ferry instead of OPTO to E 180.

Track work.

Your Answer.. VV

No Track work in the Bronx exept 2 tk is out at E 180 St only. They are doing it to keep the crews in place but will confuse people in the BX. I don't thingk they saving Money because they got to ADD jobs out of Dyre since its going to South Ferry instead of OPTO to E 180.

Track work.

I have done it there was a G.O like this backin my A Div Dayz...

HAL5000 is going to blow a fuse with this One ha ha...

You weren't kidding. Overnight the next train arrival signs for the (5)'s were displaying (2), and vice versa. Guess ATS can't handle the complexity of this GO after all.

I have done it there was a G.O like this backin my A Div Dayz...

HAL5000 is going to blow a fuse with this One ha ha...

You weren't kidding. Overnight the next train arrival signs for the (5)'s were displaying (2), and vice versa. Guess ATS can't handle the complexity of this GO after all.

Just to let some of you know, this G/O of the (2) / (5) Swap will be available thru Mid-Nov 2011 as I read in a G/O poster last night. But best to catch it this weekend and next just in case.

Heres a clip of it from earlier:

Well well they fixed it (and yes I'm replying to myself). Wednesday night it was displaying wrong but they fixed it for Thursday night. The (5)s are showing as (5)s, and (2)s as (2)s.

As for "why" the idea is on weekends you have one service Bronx to Brooklyn via West Side, and one service Bronx to Manhattan via East Side to allow the work in the Clark St tubes. By doing it this way, you keep service from 241st to Flat (so riders along WPR going to Brooklyn are not inconvenienced), and you keep 5's on the east side and 2's on the west side (even if they aren't being operated by the regular crews). In addition, by allowing the 2 crews to operate the 5 to Brooklyn, you don't need to move as many crews around (or pull extra crews) to cover the "5" runs to Brooklyn, and you don't have so many 5 crews sitting around not doing much on the "2" due to the "short turn" at the ferry. You also don't send crews to other than their typical reporting locations for the day, which costs money.

So it's partly to save money, and partly to maintain a sense of order for the riding public. As silly as it sounds, it's a lot easier to explain to the riding public that the (2) runs from Dyre to South Ferry than it is to explain that the (2) runs on Lexington Avenue.

Probably because this is the only GO I've ever seen that told crews to sign trains for something different than what the train is internally.

Archived