What is the most important line in the subway system?

JubaionBx12+SBS

In terms of the sheer amount of protests, I'd say the (A).

In terms of irreplacability, I'd say the (6). For the other lines, you might be able to accomodate the people on the buses (new express routes would need to be created, which I'm sure a certain somebody would love) and adjacent subway lines.

In this case, the surrounding buses and the (4)(5) would be crushloaded all the time. There just wouldn't be enough capacity on the roads and subway tracks to accomodate the additional riders.

The Grand Central (S) basically bypasses 42nd St-Bryant Park for those who don't feel like staying put on the (7)

...Or for those to cover the distance from Times Square to Grand Central

But without it, there would probably be overcrowding on the (7) between Times Square and Grand Central.

I mean, the MTA had the chance to make more cuts to the route when they eliminated overnight service in 1995.

But the 42nd Street Shuttle probably gets more usage than the Franklin Avenue and 42nd Street Shuttles. Those could probably be replaced by bus service if need be.

I agree with the other people who have said this: "there is no most important line in the MTA" all of the existing lines that out there have significant ridership. Cutting one line would have detrimental impacts on certain communities. You could decrease service on some lines but even that would not be acceptable in certain communities.

The top 5 lines that would suffer is the (F), (L), (E), (G), and (J)

I'm sorry, but the (7) would suffer a hell of a lot more than the (G) would....

Bear in mind that:

- the G used to terminate all the way to 71st/continental avs... now it got cut back to court sq....

- the MTA actually considered ridding itself of the G at one point....

- the G has been reduced to being a 4 car line (although that had to do w/ the inception of (what was the) V)....

1) ppl. seeking greenpoint & williamsburg from manhattan aren't taking 7's to G's like that (although it's nice that it's no longer an OOS transfer)... they're taking 7's to the B62....

2) everything on the G b/w Kensington & carroll gdns is covered by the F....

3) if anyone is takin the G in greenpoint/williamsburg, it's to xfer with the L....

4) ....and over there in bed stuy, the # of patrons seeking bus service (the downtown-ridgewood routes) trumps that of those wanting actual G service, due to the fact that the G doesn't really venture/serve the "heart" of downtown brooklyn..... the ones that do take the G in that area, either xfer to A's, or end up walking from hoyt-schermerhorn....

---

Mighty strange how you list the E, F, & the J, and leave out the 7.... when all 4 of those lines have something so obvious in common.... The fact that they serve a respective REGION of residents in Queens that have to have bus hubs (meaning, consisting of a bevy of bus routes) created around/at each of those lines' terminals:

[jamaica ctr, 179th st, flushing-main st].....

Is the G an important line... yes, due to the fact that it's the only line that circumnavigates manhattan... and serves as a (rail) alternate in most cases/ppl's commutes....

....of all the areas the G serves, (of course) Williamsburg & Greenpoint patrons would put up the biggest fight, have something happen to the line; Clinton Hill will most likely join em as well.... But I personally can't consider it as being in any top 5 list of subway lines that would "suffer", have it be discontinued.... I don't see park slope, carroll gdns, windsor terrace, kensington, bed stuy, etc. goin hard in the paint (lol) to fight for the G......

Do you even ride the (E) in the am/pm rush? I would think the other lines would be royally screwed if the (E) wasn't around. If you got rid of the (S)s and the (3) then what serves the stations not covered by the other lines?

As for the (Z), it doesn't count. It is just a renamed (J) train. It's basically (J)2.

i ride the (E) all the time. i usually take it between W 4 St and 34 St-Penn Station when im going to/from school, but the reason why i say the (E) has other alternatives is because if one day the MTA has to make a crazy decision to suspend the (E) and let it get replaced with something else (like they did in the 90's), then they would have to do it. the (E) is not by itself. even though its a very busy line, it has other alternatives that runs with it. (Ex: the (A)(C) via 8 Av, (M)(R) via Queens Blvd, the (F) between 71 Av and Briarwood.)

also, the (3) has the (4) in Brooklyn that can be extended between Utica Av and New Lots Av, and (2) in Brooklyn/Manhattan between Franklin Av and 135 St. 145 and 148 Sts can be used by the M7/M102 buses like before. if they really had to suspend the (3), they'd do it. they've done it before.

back in the 90's, the (E) was suspended for a few weekends and the (R) train was extended to Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to replace that (E).

(S) Franklin Av is needed, especially now that the B48 was cut back to bed stuy. as for the Rockaway Shuttle, it has a few (A) trains that can be sent to Rockaway Park. As for the 42 St Shuttle, it has the (7).

as for the (Z), like u said, its another (J).

Archived