Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Hank Williams Jr. bounced from tonight's Monday Night Football opener after controversial comments

"Hank Williams Jr. won't be ready for some football this Monday night.

ESPN bounced Williams' trademark opening "Are you ready for some football?" after the longtime voice of Monday Night Football's theme song, after he compared President Obama to Adolf Hitler.

"While Hank Williams, Jr. is not an ESPN employee, we recognize that he is closely linked to our company through the open to Monday Night Football," an ESPN spokesman wrote in an email to the Daily News.

"We are extremely disappointed with his comments, and as a result we have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."

The award-winning country singer made the controversial comparison in an interview on Fox and Friends Monday morning in a bizarre chat about politics.

Williams began his TV appearance by slamming the GOP presidential candidates and saying House Majority Leader John Boehner's golf game with Obama was a huge mistake."

For More http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/10/03/2011-10-03_hank_williams_jr_compares_president_obama_to_adolf_hitler_in_interview_on_fox_an.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eF6vCv13bw

Supposedly, Hank Williams wasn't fully capable when he made the comments - that is, he was high, drunk, or both. He needs a new publicist, because a proper publicist would have told Williams not to go through with the interview.

Supposedly, Hank Williams wasn't fully capable when he made the comments - that is, he was high, drunk, or both. He needs a new publicist, because a proper publicist would have told Williams not to go through with the interview.

Yup. Besides living off his Daddy name (he son of Country music pionner/legend Hank Williams, Sr.)this song is what is he best known for.

Probably the end of Mr. Williams carrer with this stupid comments while drunk. I did like this theme though. Disney/ESPN will probably get someone to remake this but it won't be the same.

1)NFL logos/generic version during ABC's run circa 2005 season.

2)Most recent version 2010-'11 seasons.

what happened to free speach all of a sudden?
Expressing an opinion doesn't give you a free pass. Express one that's ill-informed and without a great sense of logic, and you're going to have people critique the words you utter. I say that all the time in another forum I go to, and that should be expected in the NYCTF, too.

The same thing applies here. You're given the right to freedom of speech, but you're NOT given the right to freedom of consequences as a result of shooting your mouth. Williams, Jr. made a really disgusting analogy by comparing Obama to Hitler. As someone who's Jewish, the comparison drove me up the wall because it was tasteless and tactless. They don't represent the company's values at all and, in fact, holding onto one can damage a corporation's rep. Williams, Jr.'s ties with ESPN deserved to be severed. He said something REALLY stupid and now has to deal with the consequences.

It's comparable to Rashard Mendenhall's pro-9/11 truther tweets after Osama bin Laden was killed. His words were out of line, despicable, stupid, and unnecessary. He invoked the right to express, but like Williams, he suffered the consequences by losing a key sponsor.

It's actully a legitimite point, when you read it as it was ment and not jump down the poor man's throat.

two people who should not functionaly be able to be within a mile of each other playing golf on the same team. two people who should hate each other.

Two people who we pay taxes to compromise and get shit done should be able to be within three feet of each other so no, his point was not a legitimate one.

It doesn't matter if his point is legitmite or right, or made in a drunken stupor, my point is the rest of you took his words WAY too dam seriosuly.

People on message boards end up comparing each other to hitler every time they get into a long fight for crying out loud.

Youre the one who said it was legitimate, so I don't know why youre jumping down my throat about what someone else said.

that was my point yesterday, when I made that post. my point now is "overreaction". points have a shelf life.

Translation: I don't feel like debating you on the actual context of what he said because I'm too busy going out of my way to prove that I'm right and everyone else has an issue.

that was my point yesterday, when I made that post. my point now is "overreaction". points have a shelf life.

Discussions have shelf lives..... Discussions wane as they get older....

You stand by your point 100% regardless; sayin what you just did there looks like you tryna back out....

A point doesn't get weaker because it gets older, that's ridiculous....

Translation: I don't feel like debating you on the actual context of what he said because I'm too busy going out of my way to prove that I'm right and everyone else has an issue.

That, and you called him out on that whole legitimacy thing....

they can barely get anyway with crossing the street with NYPD arresting them

Best be crossing in the crosswalk now.