Not so good news for Coach USA Riders in Jersey City & Bayonne.....

Pablo M 201

In a move that will delight commuters, local shoppers and Jersey City business owners, NJ Transit and a locally-operated, private bus company will take up the bus routes that Red & Tan bus company announced last week it is discontinuing, and there will be no lapse in service, state and local officials said today.

Red & Tan's 4 bus, which runs from Merritt Street to the Newport Center mall, will be taken over by a private bus company that is locally owned, according to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who just emerged from a meeting with state officials called to discuss the matter.

There will be no lapse in service, and the route will remain the same, Healy said. The 4 bus was one of two lines that Red & Tan, citing low ridership, announced last week they are discontinuing after November 6.

Red & Tan's 99S bus, which runs from Bayonne to Journal Square and then runs up Central Avenue before heading to Port Authority bus terminal in New York, will be taken over by NJ Transit, Healy said. The state agency will contract with Academy Bus line to provide the service.

Academy will operate the line with its 119 bus, which will operate during peak hours -- from 5 to 10 a.m. and from 3 to 10 p.m. -- on the current 99S route. In between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., NJ Transit's 88 bus will leave the Journal Square bus terminal and travel along Central Avenue instead of JFK. Blvd before turning north, to give shoppers a way to get to stores along Central Avenue.

Central Avenue business owners said last week they were fuming over Red & Tan's decision to halt the 4 and 99S lines. The 99S line was the only way for shoppers in some parts of Jersey City to travel to Central Avenue's business corridor, they said.

“Jersey City residents rely on bus service as a means of transportation to work, to school, to church, to shopping and to perform other daily activities,” said Healy in a statement. “We were able to take quick action by meeting with our state legislators and NJ Transit to resolve this matter. In these challenging economic times, our residents certainly could not afford to lose another vital service in our city and we are pleased that we were able to all come together to bring a swift resolution to this matter.”

The point of running the 125 to NYC is to increase revenue on the bus. If the NYC riders pay 30% more than the local riders, the bus loses less.

ok that does make sense in a way but NYC ridership is low on the line hence why I brought it up the local 8 line to alleviate crowds on the 88 cause a 90 min rte isn't very effective if the travel demand for the local side is so high you know. Plus wouldn't former riders use other buses via continuing trip ticket?? remember those are more frequent than 125 again the frequency is a big issue you know and 88 needs either adequate help or 5 min service hence why I came up with the 8 idea which is rare for me considering only my NJ south plan creates new lines from scratch(sort of) more like carving out of existing lines.

In a move that will delight commuters, local shoppers and Jersey City business owners, NJ Transit and a locally-operated, private bus company will take up the bus routes that Red & Tan bus company announced last week it is discontinuing, and there will be no lapse in service, state and local officials said today.

Red & Tan's 4 bus, which runs from Merritt Street to the Newport Center mall, will be taken over by a private bus company that is locally owned, according to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who just emerged from a meeting with state officials called to discuss the matter.

There will be no lapse in service, and the route will remain the same, Healy said. The 4 bus was one of two lines that Red & Tan, citing low ridership, announced last week they are discontinuing after November 6.

Red & Tan's 99S bus, which runs from Bayonne to Journal Square and then runs up Central Avenue before heading to Port Authority bus terminal in New York, will be taken over by NJ Transit, Healy said. The state agency will contract with Academy Bus line to provide the service.

Academy will operate the line with its 119 bus, which will operate during peak hours -- from 5 to 10 a.m. and from 3 to 10 p.m. -- on the current 99S route. In between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., NJ Transit's 88 bus will leave the Journal Square bus terminal and travel along Central Avenue instead of JFK. Blvd before turning north, to give shoppers a way to get to stores along Central Avenue.

Central Avenue business owners said last week they were fuming over Red & Tan's decision to halt the 4 and 99S lines. The 99S line was the only way for shoppers in some parts of Jersey City to travel to Central Avenue's business corridor, they said.

“Jersey City residents rely on bus service as a means of transportation to work, to school, to church, to shopping and to perform other daily activities,” said Healy in a statement. “We were able to take quick action by meeting with our state legislators and NJ Transit to resolve this matter. In these challenging economic times, our residents certainly could not afford to lose another vital service in our city and we are pleased that we were able to all come together to bring a swift resolution to this matter.”

I KNEW IT IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN NJT took 99S no surprise but with 88 rerouted what will happen to JFK blvd??? will 125 need more service???

you still don't understand where I am getting at but since NJT rerouted 88 offpeak 125 may indeed need a service increase during those times.

I dont think anyone understands where you're getting at. First you said the 125 should be axed, now you're talking about service increases? Dude, just stop because I dont think you even know what you're trying to convey in this topic...

I dont think anyone understands where you're getting at. First you said the 125 should be axed, now you're talking about service increases? Dude, just stop because I dont think you even know what you're trying to convey in this topic...

I only brought up service increase because 125 no longer duplicates 88 during off peak due to rerouting of the 88 line. sirlapolka mentioned the kennedy corridor being bad but 88 is being taken off to serve central ave leaving 125 by itself alone south of union city hence why I brought that point up.

Thanks, Jayden.

Curious:

- Red & Tan will continue with the 10, so late night service to and from NY will continue or not?

- So, we have a new route, the 119 to PABT apparently, starting when?

- Will the previous drivers from the 4 and 99S have jobs in the new companies?

- Who is this MYSTERIOUS company that will take over the 4??????

- What will Academy use for the 119? Traditionally, that line has always been NOVA and NABI's, so does this mean that Academy might get the NABI's that R/T has?

THESE AND MORE STORES COMING NEXT TIME!!

- SAME BUS TIME!

- SAME BUS CHANNEL!

- SAME BUS THREAD!

UPDATE:

Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal has reported that A&C Bus Company will take over the 4.

That's good to hear. A&C is trying to keep the private systems in Jersey City alive. Now if only they can bring back the 16......(wishful thinking you know)

I was hoping for an 81 restructuring but time is ticking to November 6th so this is better than no service at all.

Pablo, what was the 16? And do you have a old schedule for the 16?

It was an old Lafayette & Greenville route from Journal Square to Newport Mall. Heavy line too. They cut it for the same reason as the 4, low ridership. But this time around, R&T covered their ass.

I can't pull up a schedule at the moment cause I'm on my phone, but when I get home I'll try to find one unless someone else can supply it.

I just want to know one thing. What the #@!$%^&*() does the 125 have to do with this thread???

you still don't understand where I am getting at but since NJT rerouted 88 offpeak 125 may indeed need a service increase during those times.

I KNEW IT IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN NJT took 99S no surprise but with 88 rerouted what will happen to JFK blvd??? will 125 need more service???

ok that does make sense in a way but NYC ridership is low on the line hence why I brought it up the local 8 line to alleviate crowds on the 88 cause a 90 min rte isn't very effective if the travel demand for the local side is so high you know. Plus wouldn't former riders use other buses via continuing trip ticket?? remember those are more frequent than 125 again the frequency is a big issue you know and 88 needs either adequate help or 5 min service hence why I came up with the 8 idea which is rare for me considering only my NJ south plan creates new lines from scratch(sort of) more like carving out of existing lines.

You mean to tell me you still don't know how to multi-quote? Or better yet, you still choose not to use it?

You are still derailing topics with your rants about service changes that would never happen 98% of the time, and have nothing to contribute to the topic at hand?

I've got just the thing for you!;)

Now back on topic...... Hopefully NJT comes up with a solution that works. Service cuts are like the plague right now all over the country.

I just want to know one thing. What the #@!$%^&*() does the 125 have to do with this thread???

East NY, I'll take the blame for the 125 on this thread.

CERTAIN PEOPLE ON HERE have mentioned......SNEEZE..QT..that the 125 should be eliminated before. So, I entertained the idea of maybe having a new leg of the 125, one leg going through the regular route to Jo. Sq, and continuing the regular 99S to Bayonne while the other leg goes to Bayonne via the classic 99S way.

So, that is my fault and I'll take responsibility for this.

the 16 use to be a red and tan line but got cut awhile back it ran from jsq via Bergen fairmount Monticello communipaw via grand to newport pretty much fuse 87 for the Bergen-Monticello part 1 communipaw-grand and 4 to Newport and thats what the 16 is lol

• 1 month later...

FYI: Public Service Coordinated Transport originally operated route 16 Journal Square until the early 1970's when it was discontinued as part of a major service cut following a lengthy strike. The Lafayette & Greenville independents successfully petitioned the then PUC to operate the line until L&G was acquired by Coach USA. Just a little history lesson!

Archived