TwoTimer

4. "The Professor" Grand Concourse

I wish I knew you guys better:tup:

4. "The Professor" Grand Concourse, Trevor Logan, SubwayGuy

10. "Poster of the Year" - SubwayGuy, Grand Concourse, Vintage Soul

4. "The Professor" - B35 via Church, Grand Concourse

8. "The Railking" - Grand Concourse, FamousNYLover

Thanks guys! I'm honored and thrilled. :cool: :tup:

I not good with nomitating, but I only do easy one.

2. All TA employees on forum.

3. Librarians- Vintage Soul, Harry, Knightrider, MikeGenerald, via White Plains, checkermate13.

4. Professor- B35 via Church, ShortLine Bus, MikeGenerald.

5. Make Up Artist- Gorgor, RTS CNG Command Bus, VML,

6. Best Staff of Year- Harry, East New York, Cait Sith, Brighton Local.

7. Candid Camera Award- Cait Sith, Knightrider, Spectaulour, Vintage Soul, Brett, PinePower.

12. The Creater- Harry, Knightrider, BrightonLocal.

13. History Poster- EE Broadway Local.

14. Fail of year- Qjtrainmaster.

15. News Anchor- ShortLine

Aye, lets be a little more reasonable than that...

Lol alrighty sir ;)

WHHAAAATTT??? :eek:

That nomine HAS to be thesubwaynut on youtube...

I am get mad at you call me fale fan.

Wait, r40 4501 is Alan?! I never knew he was on the forums!

Cur me?

What

To all of my fellow posters I give you my thanks. I didn't vote in this poll but I would like to point out that I DO read everything posted on our forums. I may be older than most of you and have a M/M and C/R background but I remember my grandmother telling me that "you're never too old to learn". I respect the opinions of MOST of my fellow posters and I try to learn from all. I defer to some, like B35, Brooklyn Bus, INDman, and SubwayGuy, among others, because they seem to have a more intimate knowledge of certain subjects than even an old guy like me. Via G 8, checkmate, lilblue, and even you, Roadcruiser, have different ways of thinking about subjects that pique my interest. Like I said, I read everything and enjoy the posts. One thing I will ask of my fellow posters is that we try to be civil at all times, even in times of disagreement. You don't have to respond to every post like it's a personal attack. We do have one poster who frequents the bus forum, who shall remain nameless, who has a plan for every surface line from Montauk Point to DC. Do what I do and either skim through those posts or ignore them like I do. No sense getting into a pissing contest, and possibly banned, for such trivial nonsense. Just sit back and enjoy our good thing. I know I do. Thanks for letting me speak my piece.

Im glade your still on this forum! And hope you are still around. But of course enjoying your retirement (you deserve it) and life!:P

I STILL feel left out...

Then post something useful, interesting, informative.

I hate when some users get excited when their post count reaches a thousand, ten thousand or so when most of their posts was pure crap. It's quality over quantity, not the other way around! Not coming at you, just saying in general.

Then post something useful, interesting, informative.

I hate when some users get excited when their post count reaches a thousand, ten thousand or so when most of their posts was pure crap. It's quality over quantity, not the other way around! Not coming at you, just saying in general.

Railfanning should not be a competition. That's why I was not even going to participate in this but I had nominated some people cuz a friend of mine asked me to. I think that everyone here brings something unique to the table in their own way.

Railfanning should not be a competition. That's why I was not even going to participate in this but I had nominated some people cuz a friend of mine asked me to. I think that everyone here brings something unique to the table in their own way.

I didn't think of it that way when I typed that but you're right. When I find something I think is useful, interesting, and/or informative, I post it on here for fellow members to read. I don't create threads for competition or so. (Notice how I've only created three threads.) Not trying to please the crowd here. I'm just saying, if he really feels that way then contribute something many of us would find useful, interesting, and/or informative.

Also, by "pure crap", I meant posts written just so that their post count would increase.

I didn't think of it that way when I typed that but you're right. When I find something I think is useful, interesting, and/or informative, I post it on here for fellow members to read. I don't create threads for competition or so. (Notice how I've only created three threads.) Not trying to please the crowd here. I'm just saying, if he really feels that way then contribute something many of us would find useful, interesting, and/or informative.

Also, by "pure crap", I meant posts written just so that their post count would increase.

I don't recall he was one of the troublemakers on the site. Either way I feel it is a bad idea to turn this site and this hobby into a popularity contest.

I don't recall he was one of the troublemakers on the site. Either way I feel it is a bad idea to turn this site and this hobby into a popularity contest.

Never did I say that or even thought so. I wasn't coming at him as if he did something wrong. :confused:

Never did I say that or even thought so. I wasn't coming at him as if he did something wrong. :confused:

I'm not talking about you specifically, I'm talking about this whole concept, a railfan 'awards' thing which has become essentially a popularity contest.

@ Foxie

It's more of a fun thing, a recognition of those who have done quality "something" over the past year, its not a pure HS-esque popularity contest. Most of us do quality jobs on here with whatever our strengths and weaknesses are. Not everyone has all the time or even desire to really do with the subway what they want to do. I am not interested in the least bit in railfanning or busfanning (truth be told, I dislike buses I rather fly or drive), or taking photos. I don't start many threads, and there are a great many people on here, not everyone is going to "win" an accolade (its not monetary or anything, just a collective pat on the back), and it isn't and is not meant to be a sligh or slap in the face on others who have busy lives yet find time to enjoy their hobby, or on those who were nominated but lost. I'm only a train operator with a decent knowledge about the system as it is today. I'm not the historian Mike Gerald or Trainmaster5 (who were already riding trains before I was born) is, but I'm not upset that I am not or anything. I only came here from Straphangers to just have a voice on what goes on today and what will go on tomorrow (not that the voice means anything, all those Wall St protesters are there to protest they aren't going to get anything done by just being down there protesting and getting arrested in the process).

Sometimes some pictures come out better than others. Automatically if I allow one of you's into the operating cab on a (;) and let you shoot your video camera while I'm doing the Brighton express run from Midtown (34 St) all the way to the Beach (Brighton Beach), complete with being able to see a working speedometer and how I actually operate, automatically it becomes the best video of the year, and would get someone nominated to that catagory. No RFW needed. Of course I'm taking a big risk to my job to do so, but its that fickle. If you really believe its completely childish and wish not to participate, then its in your full right not to do so, and no one is gonna chase anyone else down for their nominations. All because there are twelve categories at the moment doesn't mean one tries to find people for all 12. There have been those who don't know anyone for all twelve, and only post what they know. That's fine and correct to do. As far as the nominations have went so far, everyone has been on point with who said what or posted what on here. There is some truth in the popularity, looks aren't evaluated unlike in real-life situations. I can only give you what I know is truthful or have experienced with my own eyes here, I don't try to make myself out to be something I'm not, and most people on here understand that too, outside of voicing their opinion.

I'm sorry you feel this way about this and I hope (for the rest of you) that this remains civil and fun throughout the nominations (October), voting (November) and results (December), and when this time next year rolls around it will again be something fun and interesting to do. In the other forum I mod where this is done, its actually something we look forward to, but its a bit more competitive there because its a gaming forum. This is not meant to be a competition. Remember, we all chase a hobby and a love (or at least kinship) for this type of stuff and information, none of us are being paid for it (even us employees we are paid to operate not for all this other railfan stuff).

Sometimes some pictures come out better than others. Automatically if I allow one of you's into the operating cab on a (;) and let you shoot your video camera while I'm doing the Brighton express run from Midtown (34 St) all the way to the Beach (Brighton Beach), complete with being able to see a working speedometer and how I actually operate, automatically it becomes the best video of the year, and would get someone nominated to that catagory. No RFW needed. Of course I'm taking a big risk to my job to do so, but its that fickle.

yea however if you do that then try to host a video contest you are in a way predetermining the winners by giving them an extra leg up, rather than focusing who has the best ability and technical skills, and theres plenty of jumpy videos on youtube with RFWs and sneaky cab views that have bad audio, people taking in the background.

There is some truth in the popularity, looks aren't evaluated unlike in real-life situations.

Well yea, the guys who have been in the biz a long time will have an advantage over someone new to the hobby who might have something unique to bring to the table but its never noticed.

In the other forum I mod where this is done, its actually something we look forward to, but its a bit more competitive there because its a gaming forum. This is not meant to be a competition.

but an awards ceremony by definition is a competition, people are competing for that particular award, and already parts of this site is like Friday Night Smackdown every night, especially in the off topic lounge with all the various and depressing political battles. There already is various railfan factions out there, people who say their way of doing things is superior. Given that, I dont feel that an awards competition, be it an official one made by the forum staff or one made by one of the members is a good idea. The energy could be rather spent on perhaps an activity that brings us all closer together than something thats going to split us apart.

I wish we could all do a meet and greet (I've already seen Daniel and met R32), but being that not everyone on here is above 18, that would be difficult if not impossible. As far as the awards go, if it turns into a bickering fest like some threads on here or in other parts of this forum site, obviously it won't be repeated in future years, its not worth the division it would cause IF division actually occurred. I don't like videos that are not clear (doesn't have to be HD videos, just clear ones where one can appreciate the details). Right now, division hasn't occurred yet, so I'm not ready to put the cart in front of the horse quite yet.

And yes, you are very appreciated on here even though it may not have been in black and white print, and I always have said that any of you want a railfan window even on lines where it isn't possible (assuming I know you and the relative risk is low), let me know and I will crack the storm door and/or remove whatever newspaper or what not is up to allow a RFW on lines where it isnt possible. Of course I can't do this on swing doors, creates too much of a scene but I have done it on R46/R68A. On R32s I've kept the cab door cracked from time to time so fans can see how fast I'm going on a given stretch of track. It says in your profile you do art, hopefully I've seen some of it in many of TA's artsy contests and submission channels.

I remember one day I was on a R32 (A) going to Lefferts once and there was this Indian girl looking out the RFW with a bunch of other fans (they were upset I wasn't going over the flats to the Rockaways). I was amazed like wow, its not only a male thing anymore.

I wish we could all do a meet and greet (I've already seen Daniel and met R32), but being that not everyone on here is above 18, that would be difficult if not impossible. As far as the awards go, if it turns into a bickering fest like some threads on here or in other parts of this forum site, obviously it won't be repeated in future years, its not worth the division it would cause IF division actually occurred. I don't like videos that are not clear (doesn't have to be HD videos, just clear ones where one can appreciate the details). Right now, division hasn't occurred yet, so I'm not ready to put the cart in front of the horse quite yet.

And yes, you are very appreciated on here even though it may not have been in black and white print, and I always have said that any of you want a railfan window even on lines where it isn't possible (assuming I know you and the relative risk is low), let me know and I will crack the storm door and/or remove whatever newspaper or what not is up to allow a RFW on lines where it isnt possible. Of course I can't do this on swing doors, creates too much of a scene but I have done it on R46/R68A. On R32s I've kept the cab door cracked from time to time so fans can see how fast I'm going on a given stretch of track. It says in your profile you do art, hopefully I've seen some of it in many of TA's artsy contests and submission channels.

I remember one day I was on a R32 (A) going to Lefferts once and there was this Indian girl looking out the RFW with a bunch of other fans (they were upset I wasn't going over the flats to the Rockaways). I was amazed like wow, its not only a male thing anymore.

I appreciate the offer, but I wasn't actually talking about myself personally. I don't even take videos anymore because my current camera doesn't have that functionality. (the stuff I have on youtube and stuff are things I took long time ago with an older camera) I take regular train photos, from the station platforms. Theres a few photos I have taken from the R62A window on the (7) and from the M3 window on the LIRR (I even got an M7 RFW cuz of how the cab was closed in the back, but I was too lazy to get my camera out)

If you want to see my art, the stuff I do, there's my website Jon's Train Photos, I did all the graphics, photography, and programming. I also was the one who made the graphics on the site logo, that drawing of the R68 with the bus up top there. I have non-transit art that I have posted up on here as well, mainly cartoons of animals.

1. "Rookie of the Year" - IDK

2. "Employee of the Year" - TwoTimer and KR

3. "The Librarian" INDman,SubwayGuy,East New York

4. "The Professor" Anyone who makes the best opinion posts that can be true or an opinion(pretty much everyone is open minded)

5. "The Makeup Artist" - IDK

6. "Staff of the Year" - East New York

7. "Candid Camera Award" - Everyone who posts original(non photoshopped) pictures that are great and photoshopped(whether its watermarked-copyrighted) are ok also. Mark1447.

8. "The Railking" - 4P3607 ;)

9. "The True Buff" - 4P3607 R323838 if ya love trains you just do I'm sure we all do if not then buses theres nothing wrong with that.

10. "Poster of the Year" - INDman,SubwayGuy,East New York,Joe when they are being sarcastic.

3. "The Librarian" - SubwayGuy, INDman, B35 via Church, checkmatechamp13

10. "Poster of the Year" - checkmatechamp13, Vintage Soul

3. Librarians- Vintage Soul, Harry, Knightrider, MikeGenerald, via White Plains, checkermate13.

Thanks a lot guys, but I don't really post on this side of the forums. Living in SI, most of my posts are in the bus forums.

But thanks anyway. :tup:

Well, the purpose of these forums is to exchange knowledge and opinions, and if a post doesn't accomplish either (unless it's the Random Thoughts Thread), it shouldn't be created.

In any case, here are my nominations (Again, keep in mind that I don't really visit this side of the forums):

Employee of the Year: TwoTimer

The Librarian: MikeGerald45

The Professor: B35 via Church

Staff of the Year: I'd say East NY, but they're all good.

1. "Rookie of the Year" - Casey Stengel and jimmy7train

1. "Rookie of the Year" - Casey Stengel

1. "Rookie of the Year" - Casey Stengel

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

Btw, I forgot something :

1. "Rookie of the Year" - jimmy7train

13. Biggest off topic poster = Shortline Bus.

1. Rookie of the year = Casey Stengel

14. Best art in "Original Art and Music" = Lance25, you really put your time into those signs!

Here are the new ones I made. Copy and paste them into post if wanted.

13. Bigest Off-Topic poster.

14. Best art in "Origianal Art and Music.

Thanks CS!

14. Best art in "Original Art and Music" = Lance25, you really put your time into those signs!

Thanks CS!

Rockie of all time!

1, 14, 13, 14 lol

Thanks CS!

Thanks to you to!

14 is not needed, you could vote in the Original Art & Music. I created a thread.

Thanks CS!

Thanks to you to!

14 is not needed, you could vote in the Original Art & Music. I created a thread.

1. "Rookie of the Year" - IDK, but I'll go with Jimmy7train. Heck I did not even know he was that new!

2. "Employee of the Year" - Knight Rider, Trainmaster5

3. "The Librarian"- Vintage Soul

4. "The Professor" Brighton Local

5. "The Makeup Artist" - n/a

6. "Staff of the Year" - Brighton Local, Harry

7. "Candid Camera Award" - Fred G

8. "The Railking" - Famous NYlover

9. "The True Buff" - SubwayGuy

10. "Poster of the Year" - Grand Concourse

1. "Rookie of the Year" - IDK, but I'll go with Jimmy7train. Heck I did not even know he was that new!

2. "Employee of the Year" - Knight Rider, Trainmaster5

3. "The Librarian"- Vintage Soul

4. "The Professor" Brighton Local

5. "The Makeup Artist" - n/a

6. "Staff of the Year" - Brighton Local, Harry

7. "Candid Camera Award" - Fred G

8. "The Railking" - Famous NYlover

9. "The True Buff" - SubwayGuy

10. "Poster of the Year" - Grand Concourse

Archived