Kingsbridge Has to Be the the Depot....

I Run Trains

That's just sad, KB has to be the most neglected depot of all time at this point. How did that even happen?

I heard NG O7's might be coming to KB in November, any truth to that rumor?

Rumor has it, it suppose to be 110 new buses (Hybrids) by December. Just don't hold your breath waiting, as things do change here.......

Same here, he sounds like a very fast driver that doesn't overuse the A/C. Very rare these days!

I use the A/C relentlessly on the 49fters. On the artics, if I have a dawg, then the A/C goes off if I am going up hill. Exception is if I don't feel like working, then i will leave it on, hoping for the bus to overheat and breakdown. Got my wish one time doing this...........

I use the A/C relentlessly on the 49fters. On the artics, if I have a dawg, then the A/C goes off if I am going up hill. Exception is if I don't feel like working, then i will leave it on, hoping for the bus to overheat and breakdown. Got my wish one time doing this...........

LOL! So you take partial blame for buses being so crappy in KB! You break them down on purpose!

Did you ever work for WF? This Bx6 driver did the same thing to try and overheat his engine on the Orion V, (In neutral with the pedal to the metal at every stop) that thing was screeching! He told me he didn't feel like working.

Did you ever work for WF? This Bx6 driver did the same thing to try and overheat his engine on the Orion V, (In neutral with the pedal to the metal at every stop) that thing was screeching! He told me he didn't feel like working.

Yes I did last year. I did work the Bx6 for 1 month, but never tried to break down a CNG. It is hard to get those to break down. You see the artics are 66,400lbs, with 2 A/Cs, so those are the ones to get to overheat.........

Yes I did last year. I did work the Bx6 for 1 month, but never tried to break down a CNG. It is hard to get those to break down. You see the artics are 66,400lbs, with 2 A/Cs, so those are the ones to get to overheat.........
Ahh, this driver was driving a 400 series though.

Wait they're over 32 tons, and have a 4cyl engine? What was MTA thinking?!?!

Ahh, this driver was driving a 400 series though.

Wait they're over 32 tons, and have a 4cyl engine? What was MTA thinking?!?!

One driver told me they originally came with a 6 cylinder. Then MTA sold those engines, and bought 4 cylinders.

The 4cyl is the Detroit Diesel Series 50. The 6cyl common in transit buses in those days was the Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA, a V6 engine. 6 cylinders in a V configuration at 92 cubic inches per cylinder with a Turbocharger Application. The 6V-92TA is a two stroke diesel and the Series 50 is a four stroke diesel.

That's the engine used in the old RTSs (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx but not 49xx) and the Classics from the PBLs, plus any 3-digit numbered RTSs from the PBLs. The 1990-1993 TMC RTSs for Transit had the 6V-92TA originally but were all repowered to a Series 50.

1993 Orion Vs 101-290, 295-29x had the same deal as the 1990-1993 RTSs. I don't believe any 3xx ever had a 6V-92TA though.

The 1994-96 diesel Orion Vs (400-401, 402-580, 611-630, 631-680) actually never had a 6V-92TA. They've had the Series 50 since delivery. Most of them have been converted from street exhaust to roof exhaust since delivery, that's the only change in the propulsion except in 416 and 444, which are a bit different. At least 11 1994-96 Orion Vs still have the street exhaust, we have 5 of em in KB.

Again none of the 4xx, 5xx, 6xx ever had a 6V-92TA.

You can also but GH depot in 2nd worst,the 99 Orions has paint chippings and rust on them.as for the new flyers not's so much.

Nah kid.... with the exception of there Orion VII's, LaG has to be the Second worst. The still have buses blowing out black smoke! Lol

The 4cyl is the Detroit Diesel Series 50. The 6cyl common in transit buses in those days was the Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA, a V6 engine. 6 cylinders in a V configuration at 92 cubic inches per cylinder with a Turbocharger Application. The 6V-92TA is a two stroke diesel and the Series 50 is a four stroke diesel.

That's the engine used in the old RTSs (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx but not 49xx) and the Classics from the PBLs, plus any 3-digit numbered RTSs from the PBLs. The 1990-1993 TMC RTSs for Transit had the 6V-92TA originally but were all repowered to a Series 50.

1993 Orion Vs 101-290, 295-29x had the same deal as the 1990-1993 RTSs. I don't believe any 3xx ever had a 6V-92TA though.

The 1994-96 diesel Orion Vs (400-401, 402-580, 611-630, 631-680) actually never had a 6V-92TA. They've had the Series 50 since delivery. Most of them have been converted from street exhaust to roof exhaust since delivery, that's the only change in the propulsion except in 416 and 444, which are a bit different. At least 11 1994-96 Orion Vs still have the street exhaust, we have 5 of em in KB.

Again none of the 4xx, 5xx, 6xx ever had a 6V-92TA.

We were talking about the artic engines, not the Orion Vs. In KB only 444 has a roof exhaust (it was in West Farms like this). Every other 400-600 series bus in KB has street exhaust. The only other Orions in KB with roof exhaust is the 6000 series. Last bus # 472 kick a$$. That bus sounds deep when accelerating........It is a good fast bus........

All the others still have a street exhaust? But then what's the deal with the hole in the roof on most of them? That's not a roof exhaust and they all still go through the bottom pipe? I've seen buses with the hole in the roof and the street tailpipe together but thought that those buses don't send anything through the bottom anymore, only thru the roof. Is it possible that buses with the hole in the roof and the street tailpipe have a dual exhaust there?

Ah I see so you were talking about Artics. My mistake. MTA couldn't have ordered them with 6V-92TAs since 2-strokes were way out of the transit bus market by the late 90s. Maybe they originally had Series 60s, inline-6 engines like on the 1xxx/2xxx NYCT Cruisers. Whether that was the case is something I don't know. I doubt it though.

All the others still have a street exhaust? But then what's the deal with the hole in the roof on most of them? That's not a roof exhaust and they all still go through the bottom pipe? I've seen buses with the hole in the roof and the street tailpipe together but thought that those buses don't send anything through the bottom anymore, only thru the roof. Is it possible that buses with the hole in the roof and the street tailpipe have a dual exhaust there?

That gets alot of people confused. The buses with roof exhaust, has a pipe that comes out of them. Those with that fence like thing where the roof exhaust is, have the bottom exhaust pipe. That is not an exhaust pipe. Bee-Line 400 series came like this also, before they became roof exhaust. I think Orion did this, to make it easier for conversion, just in case the buyers wanted to change the exhaust pipes on the buses. Again only 444 of the 400-600 series has the roof exhaust in KB. All others are bottom. They hook up the exhaust filter to the bottom of these buses, when doing maintenance work on them..........

Damn. That's a revelation to me.

In seriousness I thought the old GMC-TMC RTS 1xxx-4xxx were the last buses for NYCT to have the street exhaust on every bus in the order. Any idea as to why it is then that most of the 4xx-6xx have the mesh cover while you have at least 11 of them (incl non-KB buses) with the cutout in the same position, but solid sheet metal rather than mesh like 472? It seems weird that Orion didn't standardize that in the 4xx/5xx order and the 6xx order.

I wish I was cool with a KB mechanic but seeing as I don't work for MTA I just can't get inside. I was talking to a KB mechanic once though, who was servicing a dead 665 in Norwood, and he also said the hole in the roof is an exhaust. I suppose even the mechanic was wrong.

Damn. That's a revelation to me.

In seriousness I thought the old GMC-TMC RTS 1xxx-4xxx were the last buses for NYCT to have the street exhaust on every bus in the order. Any idea as to why it is then that most of the 4xx-6xx have the mesh cover while you have at least 11 of them (incl non-KB buses) with the cutout in the same position, but solid sheet metal rather than mesh like 472? It seems weird that Orion didn't standardize that in the 4xx/5xx order and the 6xx order.

I wish I was cool with a KB mechanic but seeing as I don't work for MTA I just can't get inside. I was talking to a KB mechanic once though, who was servicing a dead 665 in Norwood, and he also said the hole in the roof is an exhaust. I suppose even the mechanic was wrong.

I seen some of them with that solid metal, but those were 100series numbered buses, with the old engines. They have been converted to roof exhaust, but there are some 400 with this same solid metal, with street exhaust. There is one at KB like this, but I done forget the number of that bus. I don't think a bus will come with dual exhaust, as that is wasting money. Besides that mesh would be soot black, and it is usually the cleanest part of the bus. You can see the buses in front of the depot as you walk past. The front isn't under the El (10th ave.), 9th ave is the front of the depot.......

I've been in that jungle between KB's two buildings. The thing is mechanics are always inside unless they have a road call or something, and I can't go in. A mechanic might be able to tell me more about the powertrain specs on the 4/5/6.

The KB buses with the sheet metal outline are 453-454, 472, 503, 668. Outside KB there's also 401, 413, 424, 505, 545, 623, 640.

I've been in that jungle between KB's two buildings. The thing is mechanics are always inside unless they have a road call or something, and I can't go in. A mechanic might be able to tell me more about the powertrain specs on the 4/5/6.

The KB buses with the sheet metal outline are 453-454, 472, 503, 668. Outside KB there's also 401, 413, 424, 505, 545, 623, 640.

What would of have been nice, and would have been a guarantee that we got new buses already, is if MTA were to just buy more Orion Vs with the Cummins ISM and Allison B-400R. In short they should have bought the same buses that Bee-line got, with absolutely no mods (except the seating configuration). Everything else should have been the same, including the floors (non-slip). Rear doors should be driver controlled too..... But no, they have to get buses with tricycle tires and cheap rims, to get bent up on the streets of NYC. I feel for the disabled, and I like the idea of no steps for them, and the wheelchair ramp over a lift, but what is 3 steps??? If you are that busted up, you need to Access-A-Ride it.......

Archived