4 and 6 Should Overthrow the 5

Micstromme

the 5 line is a good line, i don't see any reason to cut it

Me neither. It really helps if you live near one of the south Bronx stations (between 149th and 180th), like I do, and you're trying to get to the east side, since the transfer at 149th/Concourse is a real pain.

Me neither. It really helps if you live near one of the south Bronx stations (between 149th and 180th), like I do, and you're trying to get to the east side, since the transfer at 149th/Concourse is a real pain.

I agree as well, from Brooklyn, it provides much needed relief during the AM rush from overcrowded (4) trains, and during the PM rush, provides a choice for Flatbush riders, and extra service at times for Utica riders (only problem there is it often comes right after a (2), meaning it's less crowded than expected to the Nostrand stations). But, I think it's much more important in the Bronx, where it's a direct link to the East Side from Eastchester.

Since every line has at most one dominant line, switching the (5) would make for two predominant lines onthe same route. Under that suggestion the (2) and (5) would have to trade routes and colors, with the (2) via Lexington Avenue Local (not much difference) and the (5) via the Seventh Avenue Line

running local with the (1).

As far as the (2)(5) switching and terming at BG, that is so that the western passengers can get to the eastern side and vice versa. Most interesting is that the (4) and (1) hardly ever get touched. At most the (1) runs express and the (4) local to New Lots in Brooklyn, outside of late nites and early mornings.

That was the thing I originally stated. Not only the northern terminal switch but the switch between Local and Express in the Bronx.

The train from White Plains Road runs express in the Bronx, and runs down Lexington (dominant train)

The train from Dyre runs local in the Bronx and run down 7th Avenue. (secondary)

As for getting from the west side to the east side, like I said for all of that, they could just say take the (A)(C)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(4)(5) as alternates.

I see more people getting confused from that, than if you just said take the (5) instead. Would definitely like to hear from folks within the T.A. (no offense to anyone)

That was the thing I originally stated. Not only the northern terminal switch but the switch between Local and Express in the Bronx.

The train from White Plains Road runs express in the Bronx, and runs down Lexington (dominant train)

The train from Dyre runs local in the Bronx and run down 7th Avenue. (secondary)

As for getting from the west side to the east side, like I said for all of that, they could just say take the (A)(C)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(4)(5) as alternates.

I see more people getting confused from that, than if you just said take the (5) instead. Would definitely like to hear from folks within the T.A. (no offense to anyone)

The point I was trying to make was that the(5) originally was the White Plains Road train and ran on Lexington Ave and the (2) came from E.180th St or Dyre Ave. The riding public and the demographics of the area dictated the present services and if anything has changed in the last 45 years or so it only reinforces the original decision. There was a local survey done a few years ago about these very changes and the riders and politicians in the affected area were adamant that these changes not be implemented.

Yeah I remember that, they were gonna make the (2) and the White Plains Road (5) trains run express in the Bronx, leaving only the (5) from Dyre Avenue to make local stops. The reason it was shut down was because it would have been a cut in service. The Straphangers Campaign was leading the charge on that one.

However if anything they probably should have revised it to have (5) trains from either terminal to make local stops and all (2) trains run express. Then it would not have been much if any cut in service. That might have had a chance.

Thanks for the history lesson, Trainmaster (5)!

Personally, I'd like to see the Locals and Expresses on 7th and Lex split up in Brooklyn. Run the 5 to Brooklyn College full time, but run the (3) and (5) as the Eastern Pkway Local and the (2) and (4) as the express. I'm a fan of splitting the trunk lines in the outer boroughs as much as possible.

Is that possible, with Eastern Pkway?

Personally, I'd like to see the Locals and Expresses on 7th and Lex split up in Brooklyn. Run the 5 to Brooklyn College full time, but run the (3) and (5) as the Eastern Pkway Local and the (2) and (4) as the express. I'm a fan of splitting the trunk lines in the outer boroughs as much as possible.

Is that possible, with Eastern Pkway?

Actually you have created a massive bottleneck in Brooklyn.The(2)and(5) would have to cross each other south of Nevins St blocking service into Atlantic Ave/Pacific St. Then you would compound the problem south of Franklin Ave at what is called Nostrand Junction where the (2) and (3) block the express track and keep the (5) from crossing over to the Nostrand Ave/ Brooklyn College line. This has been a historical back up since the IRT Nostrand Ave and Eastern Parkway lines were extended into Brooklyn in the 1920's. The track configuration doesn't allow for the smooth movement of trains on either branch and hasn't since it was built. I've talked to people in the Operations and Planning Dept. who write these timetables and work programs and have even seen some from the early '50's and the physical plant, track layout and signals make much of what we train crews, passengers, and transit aficionados, wish for an impossibility without major capital investment. Last time I looked the (MTA), State of NY, and City of NY were all crying poverty.It's why although I've spent my RTO career in the IRT I look at the BMT and IND and see possibilities where none exist in my division. New cars like the 142's, 160's and such are cosmetic touches at best. Real improvement to me is more lines and service to more neighborhoods. That's where I'd like to see the money spent.

If the (2) ran express in Bronx and let the (5) run local in the Bronx, I cannot say that I see any change in revenue outside of give and take for the White Plains Lines, as far as fleetage is concerned.

(MTA) had the idea of making the (2) go express in The Bronx and the (5) going local but it never fell through or ppl probably complained about the idea.

Archived