Curiosity of MNR

pjbr40

i understand in the past the mnr and lirr had some competition of using the grand central or penn station. just wanted to know why the Mta never or did they ever try to run some mnr train to penn station. i have feeling it mostly based on congestion at the penn station since amtrak and nj transit are there. i am wandering if the lirr main line go to grand central pretty soon will one of the mnr will go to penn as a swap? i know that when NY GIANTS or NY JETS play in rutherford they have one run from nj transit doing it by going thru penn, but why not they it again as a regular way?

also with the voltage thing , i do believe that a possibility. the reason is that with the old nj transit arrow 1 car(mostly used on nec) can go on the NJCL but not south of Aberdeen Matawan. i always wander why till i read the wikipedia. They wrote in saying that trains south of aberdeen matawan requires higher voltage which arrow 1 can't do. So in my conclusion i now understand why MNR can't run to penn station. Don't M8 can do it?

also with the voltage thing , i do believe that a possibility. the reason is that with the old nj transit arrow 1 car(mostly used on nec) can go on the NJCL but not south of Aberdeen Matawan. i always wander why till i read the wikipedia. They wrote in saying that trains south of aberdeen matawan requires higher voltage which arrow 1 can't do. So in my conclusion i now understand why MNR can't run to penn station. Don't M8 can do it?

The M8s should be able to run via Hell's Gate...

The M8 hardware can't make the voltage switchover (as far as I know) and Metro North's third rail system is different from Long Island's. For it to even be worthwhile for Metro North to run down to Penn Station they want to build 3 stations along the Hell Gate branch. I don't think you'll Metro North making it down to Penn in my opinion. Amtrak used to have a tow job years and they would take Long Island equipment up to New Rochelle for Metro North to take from there and vice versa, that equipment was never under its own power.

i understand in the past the mnr and lirr had some competition of using the grand central or penn station. just wanted to know why the Mta never or did they ever try to run some mnr train to penn station. i have feeling it mostly based on congestion at the penn station since amtrak and nj transit are there. i am wandering if the lirr main line go to grand central pretty soon will one of the mnr will go to penn as a swap? i know that when NY GIANTS or NY JETS play in rutherford they have one run from nj transit doing it by going thru penn, but why not they it again as a regular way?

Since the LIRR is using the available slots at Penn Station, there's no room for Metro-North trains. When the ESA opens, some LIRR trains can be routed to Grand Central, freeing up space for some MNRR trains to go to Penn Station.

There's no third rail on the New Haven line, except where after Pelham Station heading to Grand Central Station. There is no third rail on the Hell's Gate Bridge. Perhaps in the old days.

I think he's referring to the Amtrak Line on the West Side.

When he mention that there is no third rail on hell gate bridge, i went to you tube to double check and he is right and correct. remember i said later that i was little fuzzy back then how i saw that old MNR up there while i was railfaning on the Astoria line.

The M8 hardware can't make the voltage switchover (as far as I know) and Metro North's third rail system is different from Long Island's. For it to even be worthwhile for Metro North to run down to Penn Station they want to build 3 stations along the Hell Gate branch. I don't think you'll Metro North making it down to Penn in my opinion. Amtrak used to have a tow job years and they would take Long Island equipment up to New Rochelle for Metro North to take from there and vice versa, that equipment was never under its own power.

they could still run it on overhead wires, but the LIRR third rail will damage the third rail shoes on the M8.

They cant even use diesel as the third rail shoes on the genesis locomotives arent designed for the LIRR. The best they could do would be New Haven to Hunterspoint Avenue or Long Island City.

they could still run it on overhead wires, but the LIRR third rail will damage the third rail shoes on the M8.

They cant even use diesel as the third rail shoes on the genesis locomotives arent designed for the LIRR. The best they could do would be New Haven to Hunterspoint Avenue or Long Island City.

It's not even so much that they the 3rd rail will damage the shoes but it's two different set ups. Metro Norths shoes run under the third rail where LIRR's shoes run over the third rail.

It's not even so much that they the 3rd rail will damage the shoes but it's two different set ups. Metro Norths shoes run under the third rail where LIRR's shoes run over the third rail.

Since the LIRR is using the available slots at Penn Station, there's no room for Metro-North trains. When the ESA opens, some LIRR trains can be routed to Grand Central, freeing up space for some MNRR trains to go to Penn Station.

As of now, LIRR does not plan to give up any of it's slots once ESA opens up

As of now, LIRR does not plan to give up any of it's slots once ESA opens up

Archived