Is overcrowding on Lexington Av and Canarsie lines overhyped?

JubaionBx12+SBS

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not only Bushwick,but Williamsburg also.i remember one morning waiting at Lorimer St for an (L) train,had to let 3 trains pass because they were packed.

I can see the (L) platform crush loaded by Lorimer because the area is high-density and Lorimer is a transfer station, but I can't see the platform at Bushwick Aberdeen packed like that. The surrounding area does not have that kind of density; it has seen a small bit of revitalization but business-wise, it's primarily a cemetary and some used car lots. That picture has to be a platform packed due to a train OOS.

As for the original claim that the Lexington and Canarsie lines are overcrowded, there's no hype there at all. They're absolutely horrible! My guess is that the occasional train that has some room in it is a put-in from the yard.

A hot button complaint for subway commuters is overcrowding. The Lexington Av and Canarsie lines are the two worst lines in that regard. However, there is evidence to support the fact that the complaints are slightly exaggerated. There is NO way that all 30TPH running along the Lex Av express during rush hour are sardine packed in every car. In fact I have observed and rode on a couple of trains during rush hour on that line and the Canarsie line that have plenty of standing room. If it is the case that one can find room on the most crowded lines during rush hour , why do people complain so much about the crowds on the train?

This is not to argue the fact that most trains on the (4), (5) ,(6) and (L) lines are packed during rush hour. I'm just saying there shouldn't be such riff-raff about it unless all of them were.

On the L during rush hour on the am, they have some trains come out @ Myrtle ave, so that might be one reason, but the L is hell at rush hour, and once you hit lorimer st and Bedford ave, forget it.......

The (L) Train picks up it's crowds gradually between Broadway Junction and Manhattan. The most passengers going to Manhattan get on at Lorimer St and Bedford Av (from my observance). The majority of passengers are getting off in Manhattan. And it's like that during rush hours and weekends (especially Saturday). There isn't much alternatives.

The (4)(5)(6) Trains, well that seems to be a nightmare from 6am to 9:30-10pm. I had originally thought "no way", like JW72093 said. But it really is a big problem, especially during rush hour. Rush hour makes me :mad:.

Here's a true story - At 12pm, I was standing on the southbound 23rd Street (6) train platform. As people had been waiting there for a while, I figured the train was approaching soon, and it was. Two minute wait, and the (6) was coming in the station - honking the horn as if he was passing the station, which he did. The train was packed like sardines in a can from car number 1 to car number 10. :eek: The next train came and it was not as packed, but did have very little squeeze room. I managed to get in and get to 14th Street.

It ain't no joke, those trains on those lines are packed like they escaped a global disaster. :eek: I had to see it and be part of it to believe it.

BTW, that global disaster sentence, was that in bad taste?

That picture is Bedford Avenue. And the difference is that on the (L), the back car is usually not that bad, but on the Lex it's everywhere, added to the fact that the (L) has wider cars. I actually don't think the (L) is too bad during rush hour, but this is coming from someone who's done Lex commuting for so long he isn't phased.

An SRO train is not a bad thing; in fact, it's a good sign that the subway line is very important for the areas it serves.

When a subway car is parked for more than 20 seconds to exchange passengers and/or you have to wait for the next train because you can't get on, then you've got some serious overcrowding problems that need to be addressed. I would say that the (2), (4), (5), (6), (7), (E), and (L) trains have this major problem.

There's a straightforward solution for the (L): run more trains (with some upgrades and tail tracks, capacity could theoretically increase to 24 tph, about 50% improvement in capacity). The Lex is at full capacity, so in that case you need another trunk line. 15 to 20 tph on the SAS should do wonders in relieving congestion by also reducing the number of people on the crowded Lex platforms. But since the SAS is not a duplicate of the Lex (better for West Side riders, far worse for East Side commuters), high enough frequency (i.e. 4 or fewer minute-headways) are necessary so that riders will consider moving over.

Guest MTA Bus

I live on the (L) line and that train is full during rush hours. I usually get on the (L) at 8th Avenue, so I can get a seat. My suggestion: don't get on at Union Sq during PM rush hour. You probabley won't get a seat until Myrtle Av.

i take the (4)(5)(6) and it does get really bad but not all trains are over crowded, the (6) runs every 3mins or so and i mean it moves fast even if its crowded and the (4)(5) are ok just kinda slow on the exp but in all its not as bad it can be better if the people think and just wait a few mins for the next one. the countdown clocks work all over now and i keep seeing people push on the train when theres no room too and i look at the clock and it shows a train less than 3 mins away idk why they dont just wait for the next one thats not as crowded

lol with the amount of trains they're planning to run on it with CBTC, i don't think skip stop would be even moderately effective... just keep it a regular local. i think in hindsight, they should have had more foresight (LOL) and built every line with at least a 3 track express system.... but thats just me dreaming, so feel free to disregard that. =p

but while we're on the topic of overcrowding, i would have to say that every line that i've been on during rush hours is overcrowded (not only the lex ave and the canarsie lines), that is, the (A)(C)(E)(4)(5)(6)(7)(1)(2)(3), and to a lesser extent, the (N)(Q)... heck, almost every line that runs through midtown manhattan...

Guest lance25
i think in hindsight, they should have had more foresight (LOL) and built every line with at least a 3 track express system...

I think we can forgive the BMT for building Canarsie the way they did. There's no way they could've foreseen the massive population growth over the decades that would warrant a three or four track line for the (L). However, therein lies the problem. Most of the system is stuck in the early 20th century and is woefully inadequate for a 21st century New York.

Ok, I ride the (4) EVERY week day, from school/ and occasionally to(b/c i can take the (D) instead if i wanted). The ride to, is that the Front section get EXTRAORDINARILY crowded, so that it becomese back to back.(42nd Crowds the back, then 59th crowds the front) THe two reasons: Bronx High School of science, and Lehman College. The trains EMPTY at Bedford Park Boulevard. thats mostly for all the 4 trains that arrive at Bedford from 7:25 Am-7:50 AM. Then, the ride back, in the front and rear cars, youll get a seat during normal rush, but the middle cars will be stuffed. But, I find that the (E) Train has far greater crowds between Lex/53 and Jamacia Center.

I don't know what this guy is talking about.

I ride the (4)(5) every weekday morning from roughly 7-8:10. I get on at 59th. It gets so crowded beforehand, that no one can get on after 59th until Fulton. There are always people waiting at 42nd, 14th, and Brooklyn Bridge, but they can never get on.

Unfortunately, people always get on, but no one gets off until Fulton. I'd just like to mention I always stay in the LAST car and it's still ALWAYS full. I've been in school for 30 days now and I've only gotten a seat at 59th TWICE in 30 days.

When I'm going home, from 3:30 to 8ish it's always full. I get on at Borough Hall and it's full by Fulton Street.

I don't know about the L but I can guarantee you that the crowding on the Lexington Ave lines are no joke.

Stand at 14th, 42nd, 51st or 59th during peak hours and you will change your opinion. that is, if you even have room to stand around before you get pushed along with the crowd.

They should never have torn down the 3rd Ave el...

I don't know what this guy is talking about.

I ride the (4)(5) every weekday morning from roughly 7-8:10. I get on at 59th. It gets so crowded beforehand, that no one can get on after 59th until Fulton. There are always people waiting at 42nd, 14th, and Brooklyn Bridge, but they can never get on.

Unfortunately, people always get on, but no one gets off until Fulton. I'd just like to mention I always stay in the LAST car and it's still ALWAYS full. I've been in school for 30 days now and I've only gotten a seat at 59th TWICE in 30 days.

When I'm going home, from 3:30 to 8ish it's always full. I get on at Borough Hall and it's full by Fulton Street.

Tbh I think you're crazy. In 30 days you've gotten a seat TWICE at the station you got on at?? Maybe twice in 30 days I'll get a seat by 42nd or 14th, but I've never gotten a seat at my station, let alone anywhere north of 59th.

I don't know about the L but I can guarantee you that the crowding on the Lexington Ave lines are no joke.

Stand at 14th, 42nd, 51st or 59th during peak hours and you will change your opinion. that is, if you even have room to stand around before you get pushed along with the crowd.

They should never have torn down the 3rd Ave el...

No, tearing down the 3rd Avenue Elevated was a good thing. If they hadn't done so there wouldn't be any demand for the Upper East Side to Wall Street commute because nobody wants to live anywhere near one of those disgusting things. Honestly if the El was still up I'd probably be living on the Upper West Side or somewhere Downtown because I wouldn't be able to stand that, even if I do live half a mile from it.

Archived