Is overcrowding on Lexington Av and Canarsie lines overhyped?

JubaionBx12+SBS

yeh, at Utica, the 4 is frequent enough in the mornings where riders consider doing that.... still though, the standing room is bad enough... it's not on the level of flatbush av (for example), but it's not moderate either....

If enough schoolkids don't get off at franklin (or worse, a 2 pulls into franklin the same time a 4 does), forget nevins, 4's are gonna be crushloaded @ franklin; where ppl. are all on top of each other....

Those ppl. waiting for the next (4) to arrive so they can get a seat, is spillover (or w/e synonym you wanna use) from the train before it... the cycle repeats itself, and the amt. of ppl waiting increases when a (3) pulls into utica.....

if it weren't for the (3), you'd have a similar situation w/ what happens at flatbush, where you have ppl. sardining onto (2)'s & (5)'s in the morning... I could only imagine the passenger distribution of 4's to 3's @ utica if it was a stub end terminal....

Yeah the (4) @ Crown Heights-Utica Avenue is utterly ridiculous during the AM rush. I'd had to skip like 3 trains b/c I refuse to stand all the way to The Bronx or 125th Street. I remember getting on @ Utica Avenue and by the time we got to Franklin or Atlantic Avenues damn train was beyond packed. I had to fight my way to get off the train @ Atlantic Avenue. The (3) is no different during the PM rush.....its packed b/w Franklin Avenue and Crown Heights-Utica Avenue (depending on the time) with the school kids and ppl from Upper West Side to Lower Manhattan

If you happen to catch the last (4) leaving from New Lots Avenue and by the time it gets to Crown Heights-Utica Avenue its SRO (standing room only). The (2) is not worse the (4) with the crowds but its damn near packed in the AM rush....just having the train sitting @ Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue you might get a seat!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeh, at Utica, the 4 is frequent enough in the mornings where riders consider doing that.... still though, the standing room is bad enough... it's not on the level of flatbush av (for example), but it's not moderate either....

If enough schoolkids don't get off at franklin (or worse, a 2 pulls into franklin the same time a 4 does), forget nevins, 4's are gonna be crushloaded @ franklin; where ppl. are all on top of each other....

Those ppl. waiting for the next (4) to arrive so they can get a seat, is spillover (or w/e synonym you wanna use) from the train before it... the cycle repeats itself, and the amt. of ppl waiting increases when a (3) pulls into utica.....

if it weren't for the (3), you'd have a similar situation w/ what happens at flatbush, where you have ppl. sardining onto (2)'s & (5)'s in the morning... I could only imagine the passenger distribution of 4's to 3's @ utica if it was a stub end terminal....

Yeah the (4) @ Crown Heights-Utica Avenue is utterly ridiculous during the AM rush. I'd had to skip like 3 trains b/c I refuse to stand all the way to The Bronx or 125th Street. I remember getting on @ Utica Avenue and by the time we got to Franklin or Atlantic Avenues damn train was beyond packed. I had to fight my way to get off the train @ Atlantic Avenue. The (3) is no different during the PM rush.....its packed b/w Franklin Avenue and Crown Heights-Utica Avenue (depending on the time) with the school kids and ppl from Upper West Side to Lower Manhattan

If you happen to catch the last (4) leaving from New Lots Avenue and by the time it gets to Crown Heights-Utica Avenue its SRO (standing room only). The (2) is not worse the (4) with the crowds but its damn near packed in the AM rush....just having the train sitting @ Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue you might get a seat!

gettin a seat @ flatbush in the morning? yeh, if you get there early enough.... some ppl. backtrack from winthrop, church, etc. to get a seat on a manhattan bound train; that, I'm not being bothered with.....

It got to the point where I don't take the IRT anymore to get to work; been like that for almost 3 yrs. now.... the (5) does me no good (5's are less crowded than 2's along nostrand av, though), and by time the (2) gets to church, you're standing... gotta push or meander your way on to have a chance....

You don't.... really see folks meandering their way onto 4's @ utica, so I get his (TwoTimer's) point, and I agree with it to an extent.... you're not *as* likely to see ppl. literally cramming onto 4's at utica in the morning.... you're more prone to seeing folks wait it out on the platform for the next train out so that their chances of gettin a seat is greater.... I know that b/c I've done it myself....

I brought up flatbush b/c the amount of ppl waiting for the next train for that reason, I gotta say is less.... Folks are not willingly letting trains bypass; the first shove, first serve (lol) mentality runs deep on the nostrand av line.... again, there is some reverse commuting going on, so ppl. can get a seat at f'bush.... but still, majority of ppl. in the morning waiting on platforms is most likely b/c they missed the train, or they simply couldn't get on....

(the whole running around to get to the other side/other platform is a big deterrent to that also)

- That's not sayin, in general, the level of crowding on 2's is worse than 4's, fam....

- That's sayin more 2's in the morning leave f'bush crushloaded than 4's in the morning do at utica....

Why, b/c ppl. are willing to wait for the next (4).....

Due to the fact that AM rush hour 4 service is more frequent than AM rush hour 2 train service.....

gettin a seat @ flatbush in the morning? yeh, if you get there early enough.... some ppl. backtrack from winthrop, church, etc. to get a seat on a manhattan bound train; that, I'm not being bothered with.....

It got to the point where I don't take the IRT anymore to get to work; been like that for almost 3 yrs. now.... the (5) does me no good (5's are less crowded than 2's along nostrand av, though), and by time the (2) gets to church, you're standing... gotta push or meander your way on to have a chance....

You don't.... really see folks meandering their way onto 4's @ utica, so I get his (TwoTimer's) point, and I agree with it to an extent.... you're not *as* likely to see ppl. literally cramming onto 4's at utica in the morning.... you're more prone to seeing folks wait it out on the platform for the next train out so that their chances of gettin a seat is greater.... I know that b/c I've done it myself....

I brought up flatbush b/c the amount of ppl waiting for the next train for that reason, I gotta say is less.... Folks are not willingly letting trains bypass; the first shove, first serve (lol) mentality runs deep on the nostrand av line.... again, there is some reverse commuting going on, so ppl. can get a seat at f'bush.... but still, majority of ppl. in the morning waiting on platforms is most likely b/c they missed the train, or they simply couldn't get on....

(the whole running around to get to the other side/other platform is a big deterrent to that also)

- That's not sayin, in general, the level of crowding on 2's is worse than 4's, fam....

- That's sayin more 2's in the morning leave f'bush crushloaded than 4's in the morning do at utica....

Due to the fact that AM rush hour 4 service is more frequent than AM rush hour 2 train service.....

It got to the point where I don't take the IRT anymore to get to work.... the (5) does me no good (5's are less crowded than 2's along nostrand av, though), and by time the (2) gets to church, you're standing... gotta push or meander your way on to have a chance....

You don't.... really see folks meandering their way onto 4's @ utica, so I get his (TwoTimer's) point, and I agree with it to an extent.... you're not *as* likely to see ppl. cram onto 4's at utica in the morning.... you're more prone to seeing folks wait it out on the platform for the next train out so that their chances of gettin a seat is greater.... I know that b/c I've done it myself....

I brought up flatbush b/c the amount of ppl waiting for the next train for that reason, is much less..... I mean, there is some reverse commuting going on, so ppl. can get a seat at f'bush.... but still, majority of ppl @ f'bush in the morning waiting on platforms is most likely b/c they missed the train, or they simply couldn't get on....

- That's not sayin, in general, the level of crowding on 2's are worse than 4's, fam....

Folks are not willingly letting trains bypass @ Flatbush av..... the first shove, first serve (lol) mentality runs deep on the nostrand av line....

Oh I know how the Nostrand Avenue Line works lol and I never rode the (2) from any of the station every again during the AM rush. From the Bronx on the (2) or (5) you def won't get a seat @ East 180th Street. I had to backtrack by going all the way to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue just to get a seat so I have a one seat ride to Brooklyn w/o having to take the (4)!

It got to the point where I don't take the IRT anymore to get to work.... the (5) does me no good (5's are less crowded than 2's along nostrand av, though), and by time the (2) gets to church, you're standing... gotta push or meander your way on to have a chance....

You don't.... really see folks meandering their way onto 4's @ utica, so I get his (TwoTimer's) point, and I agree with it to an extent.... you're not *as* likely to see ppl. cram onto 4's at utica in the morning.... you're more prone to seeing folks wait it out on the platform for the next train out so that their chances of gettin a seat is greater.... I know that b/c I've done it myself....

I brought up flatbush b/c the amount of ppl waiting for the next train for that reason, is much less..... I mean, there is some reverse commuting going on, so ppl. can get a seat at f'bush.... but still, majority of ppl @ f'bush in the morning waiting on platforms is most likely b/c they missed the train, or they simply couldn't get on....

- That's not sayin, in general, the level of crowding on 2's are worse than 4's, fam....

Folks are not willingly letting trains bypass @ Flatbush av..... the first shove, first serve (lol) mentality runs deep on the nostrand av line....

Oh I know how the Nostrand Avenue Line works lol and I never rode the (2) from any of the station every again during the AM rush. From the Bronx on the (2) or (5) you def won't get a seat @ East 180th Street. I had to backtrack by going all the way to Eastchester-Dyre Avenue just to get a seat so I have a one seat ride to Brooklyn w/o having to take the (4)!

Damn you put in work for that one. I'd have been happy just to be able to get on the train. But some days you just don't wanna stand.

Damn you put in work for that one. I'd have been happy just to be able to get on the train. But some days you just don't wanna stand.

Well at E180th on the (5) there are seats are in the first car (the last ones to go, Morris Park/Pelham Pkwy/Dyre entrances are at the middle, and Gun Hill/Baychester the back), but you have to be quick and make sure you beat the (2) customers inside. I usually could get a seat whenever I ride from there on the (5) (not (2) btw, already SRO) in the first or second car, but always I defer to an older lady or gentleman so I stand anyway. Since I am a TA employee rule says I'm not supposed to sit unless everyone else is sitting (common courtesy), and I'm usually off the train by 149-GC so a seat isn't that important to me.

At Flatbush if you're willing to walk all the way to the first car of the (2) a seat can be snagged at that station (next to the dispatcher office), but most people are not willing to do that. The (5) is another story since its entrance is near the front anyway. The reason people backtrack is because they know the train isn't even going to sit in Flatbush longer than five minutes and they can have the seat of their choice and line of their choice by Newkirk.

Well at E180th on the (5) there are seats are in the first car (the last ones to go, Morris Park/Pelham Pkwy/Dyre entrances are at the middle, and Gun Hill/Baychester the back), but you have to be quick and make sure you beat the (2) customers inside. I usually could get a seat whenever I ride from there on the (5) (not (2) btw, already SRO) in the first or second car, but always I defer to an older lady or gentleman so I stand anyway. Since I am a TA employee rule says I'm not supposed to sit unless everyone else is sitting (common courtesy), and I'm usually off the train by 149-GC so a seat isn't that important to me.

At Flatbush if you're willing to walk all the way to the first car of the (2) a seat can be snagged at that station (next to the dispatcher office), but most people are not willing to do that. The (5) is another story since its entrance is near the front anyway. The reason people backtrack is because they know the train isn't even going to sit in Flatbush longer than five minutes and they can have the seat of their choice and line of their choice by Newkirk.

Yeah I did some work for that lol....it was just that one day I didn't want to stand. It was early in the AM and I didn't want to keep moving around standing up on a packed train!

Well I guess times as changed b/c when I did remember riding the (5) back in 2002-2004 it was SRO so I guess something had changed about that line. Yes that (2) is a pain in the ass coming from Wakefield I still won't ride it in the AM rush. Most ppl @ Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue just board the middle and end of the trains......the selective ones walk towards the front of the train but I guess most of them don't think to walk towards the front!

Yeah I did some work for that lol....it was just that one day I didn't want to stand. It was early in the AM and I didn't want to keep moving around standing up on a packed train!

Well I guess times as changed b/c when I did remember riding the (5) back in 2002-2004 it was SRO so I guess something had changed about that line. Yes that (2) is a pain in the ass coming from Wakefield I still won't ride it in the AM rush. Most ppl @ Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue just board the middle and end of the trains......the selective ones walk towards the front of the train but I guess most of them don't think to walk towards the front!

Guest lance25

Forget about NIMBYism. A lack of funding will probably kill Second Avenue south of 63rd Street. I'll be surprised if the line makes it to 125 St before I'm old and grey (mind you, I'm 21 right now).

Guest lance25

Forget about NIMBYism. A lack of funding will probably kill Second Avenue south of 63rd Street. I'll be surprised if the line makes it to 125 St before I'm old and grey (mind you, I'm 21 right now).

Not only do I think we will see Phase 2 (as a significant chunk of that was actually built in the 1970's), we might see Phase 2 extended all the way across 125th Street, ending on a low elevated station at Broadway-12th Avenue with a transfer to the (1) (and transfers to all of the other lines along 125th Street as well) and a connection that would allow the SAS to access the 8th Avenue line/Concourse lines north of 125th Street.

With Columbia University expanding as they are (and such likely complete by the time the SAS would reach there), I see some major work ahead that will be needed to accommodate students that will be using the newer facilities once complete, and so I can see Columbia pushing for the SAS to come all the way across to give students easy access to the east side as well as all of the other subway lines.

Not only do I think we will see Phase 2 (as a significant chunk of that was actually built in the 1970's), we might see Phase 2 extended all the way across 125th Street, ending on a low elevated station at Broadway-12th Avenue with a transfer to the (1) (and transfers to all of the other lines along 125th Street as well) and a connection that would allow the SAS to access the 8th Avenue line/Concourse lines north of 125th Street.

With Columbia University expanding as they are (and such likely complete by the time the SAS would reach there), I see some major work ahead that will be needed to accommodate students that will be using the newer facilities once complete, and so I can see Columbia pushing for the SAS to come all the way across to give students easy access to the east side as well as all of the other subway lines.

*Insert facepalm image here*

... And the money for this is coming from where exactly...?

*Insert facepalm image here*

... And the money for this is coming from where exactly...?

I was on a (4) train from Boro Hall - Grand Central.

Before 14 St - Union Sq, there was a chance of getting a seat.

Litterally 3 seconds after the doors opened at 14 St, the whole train was packed.

I was in the FIRST car.

No Duh... that's where the stairs are at Brooklyn Bridge, and 14th st

I was on a (4) train from Boro Hall - Grand Central.

Before 14 St - Union Sq, there was a chance of getting a seat.

Litterally 3 seconds after the doors opened at 14 St, the whole train was packed.

I was in the FIRST car.

No Duh... that's where the stairs are at Brooklyn Bridge, and 14th st

George Bush thought it was mission accomplished many years ago. I think it's the same thought process going on in your post…

George Bush thought it was mission accomplished many years ago. I think it's the same thought process going on in your post…

Archived