NJ Transit 137 via Rt.549 service question

PinePower

Often in the PM I'll take one of those 137's that run via Rt.549 back from Brick to Toms River to get the bus back to NYC. Now I know the schedule says the trips can arrive early, but something happened today to me as a first. A 137 to Toms River approaches Brick Plaza and the sign goes out of service, the driver says he is not going to Toms River even though the schedule says he is supposed to, he says he only drops off. He wouldn't let me on the bus and left with passengers still on.

My guess is he didn't have any passengers on the bus going all the way to Toms River and probably wanted to finish his run early and head back to the depot.

So I had to wait for the 67 which was 20 min late and I just made the bus back to NY. Now at Suffolk Transit we used to have a guy who pulled this stunt on the last S62 back to Port Jeff at 7pm, he'd go out of service in Mt.Sinai, leaving anyone who needed the bus west of CR 83 stranded. CBS fired him eventually.

So I'm wondering if they are allowed to do that at NJT. The schedule didn't say the bus was dropoff only, it had it arriving in Toms River at 8pm. All it says is estimated arrival time in Brick.

Often in the PM I'll take one of those 137's that run via Rt.549 back from Brick to Toms River to get the bus back to NYC. Now I know the schedule says the trips can arrive early, but something happened today to me as a first. A 137 to Toms River approaches Brick Plaza and the sign goes out of service, the driver says he is not going to Toms River even though the schedule says he is supposed to, he says he only drops off. He wouldn't let me on the bus and left with passengers still on.

My guess is he didn't have any passengers on the bus going all the way to Toms River and probably wanted to finish his run early and head back to the depot.

So I had to wait for the 67 which was 20 min late and I just made the bus back to NY. Now at Suffolk Transit we used to have a guy who pulled this stunt on the last S62 back to Port Jeff at 7pm, he'd go out of service in Mt.Sinai, leaving anyone who needed the bus west of CR 83 stranded. CBS fired him eventually.

So I'm wondering if they are allowed to do that at NJT. The schedule didn't say the bus was dropoff only, it had it arriving in Toms River at 8pm. All it says is estimated arrival time in Brick.

report his ass immediately very few NJT buses have closed door policy that line isn't one of em

I highly doubt thats what happened. WHAT HAPPENED was the driver knew the 67 was behind him, and he assumed it wasnt going to be late. So he wanted you to take the 67 instead and you still made your bus to NYC, so what is the problem? You got your bus end of story, all this crying you pax do is sad. Bad enough we have to deal with idiots on a daily who have nothing better to do. Yeah if you mad report my post cause I dont give a shyt. If you was in that drivers shoes you would have done the samething, and he probably was in danger of timing out. Under no circumstances we are allowed to return back to the garage while doiing a run unless otherwise told so. We must complete our run with or without pax. Dont come on the forms to have ppl telling you to report him. If the problem was serious enough you would have done so or left it as is.

People that act like this is the reason us bus ops act the way we do. cry cry cry cry cry is annoying and it gets old real fast.

I am sick and tired of you people coming on here whining about what bus ops are doing, leave us the hell alone,. This is exactly why I dont post much anymore. You people are worst then bus/train foamers.

I highly doubt thats what happened. WHAT HAPPENED was the driver knew the 67 was behind him, and he assumed it wasnt going to be late. So he wanted you to take the 67 instead and you still made your bus to NYC, so what is the problem? You got your bus end of story, all this crying you pax do is sad. Bad enough we have to deal with idiots on a daily who have nothing better to do. Yeah if you mad report my post cause I dont give a shyt. If you was in that drivers shoes you would have done the samething, and he probably was in danger of timing out. Under no circumstances we are allowed to return back to the garage while doiing a run unless otherwise told so. We must complete our run with or without pax. Dont come on the forms to have ppl telling you to report him. If the problem was serious enough you would have done so or left it as is.

People that act like this is the reason us bus ops act the way we do. cry cry cry cry cry is annoying and it gets old real fast.

I am sick and tired of you people coming on here whining about what bus ops are doing, leave us the hell alone,. This is exactly why I dont post much anymore. You people are worst then bus/train foamers.

U said it 553. My friends out of Orange say the samething. They are tired of ppl always complaining bout them being late, not taking the route their suppose to take even their not even going that way, not having schedules, ppl that take their sweet time getting on & off the bus & not having their fare ready. Just last week some stupid ass person reported my homegurl talking about she was drunk behind the wheel & driving reckless & I was with her too when this happened so they had her pullover while the regional came & spoke with her. But they let her go & all was good. But she was mad bc ppl got nothing better to do & need to mind their damn business.

I highly doubt thats what happened. WHAT HAPPENED was the driver knew the 67 was behind him, and he assumed it wasnt going to be late. So he wanted you to take the 67 instead and you still made your bus to NYC, so what is the problem? .

553, I agree with everything you said. If Pine had did some research he would have realized that the 67 is suppose to be AHEAD of the 137. The 67 should have been at Brick around 727p and the 137 should have been in at 744p.

If I was working that 137 I would have done the same thing....the 67 is scheduled to work as a local thru Brick while the 137 is unofficially a "drop-off" only, so that bus can get those people home and back to the PABT quick to start another run. I doubt all the 137s in the PM are all done upon arrival in Toms River so give it a break about guys wanted to head back early.

The longest of time, the 137 local, as a few of my Howell friends told me, is a Drop-Off line only UNOFFICIALLY. Mainly cuz if the last passenger gets off before TR P/R, He'll get on that highway and get back to PABT, especially if he's doing more than one trip. Another thing that people fails to mention that not all lines goes to the ending point, and do the same trip again back the same direction. Just like the 123, UNOFFICIALLY, and I've done it, if there is no other passenger going further than Palisades and Congress, and I have to deadhead back to PABT, you know where I'm going to get back and save time instead of going all the way to Christ Hospital. If someone needs to get to the Hospital, you got the 84, 84P, and the 86 that will take them there. I'm making that left, get down the the Congress Street HBLR Station, and deadhead to PABT to make sure I get there in time. Lets not also forget that drivers don't just do one line in a trip. They might have to do multiple lines. I had trips where I had to do a 123, DHD to PABT and do a 125, DHD, and do a 126. So, give the driver a break. It's not that he didn't want to do it but he has to make sure he gets there on time, especially with PABT. If you're late, Oy. OY OY OY. And as a B/O, I am 100% with 553. Passengers think that its easy to drive a 35, 40, 45, or 60 foot bus and try to get there in time, get in our shoes and feel the stress and pressure we have to go through. People really need to relax. Have a drink, get some kittykat, and chill.

get some kittykat, and chill.

PETA would like to have a word with you....

-----------

In all seriousness, I've always said that the ppl. that b**ch the most about their commute, are the ones who don't drive, or have never driven a vehicle in their lives.....

I don't care if it's a bus driver, truck driver, someone driving in their personal vehicle, a motorcycle rider, whatever....

A motorist cannot & does not control traffic conditions... point, blank, period.

553, SirJokaPlaya, and B35. You all have a valid point. People don't even show the slightest bit of thanks to the drivers out there getting them to work, school, home, or anywhere else for that matter. And these passengers think they are Miss Daisy or something. I know there are probably a few drivers at (NJT) who are like 553 or SJP, they like driving a bus. But the snobby, ungrateful, and unappreciative passengers make it hard to enjoy doing that one thing. I mean 553 isn't just sitting on his a** and moving a bus. He's doing a good deed.

So the 67 made it to Toms River in time for the NY bus but it was close enough. A few more missed lights and I would've missed it. The problem is the 67 wasn't right in behind, it was 20 min late. I dont think it's OK for a driver to flag pax unless there's another bus right behind. If the bus had to go the end of line anyway what did this driver accomplish?

I dont "cry, cry" etc but I expect a bus that's listed on the schedule to board passengers unless the schedule explicitly says its drop off only.

I rarely report drivers, but in this case I did report him. I cant make excuses for refusing to pick up passengers, he wasnt even late but 20 min early, though the schedule says arrival time can be early.

I dont complain to bus driver when the bus is late, as I know its almost never the driver's fault. So dont think I'm one of those people.

Considering the 67 bus runs only every 2-3 hours its not very often, and I hope NJ Transit follows up on my complaint and makes sure those 137s not flag passengers. Considering how commercial the 549 corridor between Brick and Toms River is, it's pretty pathetic how little local bus service there is. Now I know thats another subject but it has alot to do with my complaint. That problem lies with the pathetic excuse for a bus system called Ocean Ride. Ocean County is similar to Suffolk in some ways yet Suffolk Transit is a much, much better system. There needs to be hourly bus service between TR and Lakewood via 549.

And the 67s get crowded. The one I had going to Brick, the 5:42pm from TR was fairly full when I got to Brick.

553, SirJokaPlaya, and B35. You all have a valid point. People don't even show the slightest bit of thanks to the drivers out there getting them to work, school, home, or anywhere else for that matter. And these passengers think they are Miss Daisy or something. I know there are probably a few drivers at (NJT) who are like 553 or SJP, they like driving a bus. But the snobby, ungrateful, and unappreciative passengers make it hard to enjoy doing that one thing. I mean 553 isn't just sitting on his a** and moving a bus. He's doing a good deed.

I always make sure to thank the bus operator when I get off the bus and wish him or her a nice day or night. Always. ;)

I heard something like this happened on the 418 PM Trenton to Camden via I-295 and NJ 38... After the bus drops people off at the commuter stop at Moorestown Mall, the driver won't let anyone on the bus, but still have the destination sign say "418 Mall Express Camden"... I heard that happen at Cherry Hill Mall...

The longest of time, the 137 local, as a few of my Howell friends told me, is a Drop-Off line only UNOFFICIALLY. Mainly cuz if the last passenger gets off before TR P/R, He'll get on that highway and get back to PABT, especially if he's doing more than one trip. Another thing that people fails to mention that not all lines goes to the ending point, and do the same trip again back the same direction. Just like the 123, UNOFFICIALLY, and I've done it, if there is no other passenger going further than Palisades and Congress, and I have to deadhead back to PABT, you know where I'm going to get back and save time instead of going all the way to Christ Hospital. If someone needs to get to the Hospital, you got the 84, 84P, and the 86 that will take them there. I'm making that left, get down the the Congress Street HBLR Station, and deadhead to PABT to make sure I get there in time. Lets not also forget that drivers don't just do one line in a trip. They might have to do multiple lines. I had trips where I had to do a 123, DHD to PABT and do a 125, DHD, and do a 126. So, give the driver a break. It's not that he didn't want to do it but he has to make sure he gets there on time, especially with PABT. If you're late, Oy. OY OY OY. And as a B/O, I am 100% with 553. Passengers think that its easy to drive a 35, 40, 45, or 60 foot bus and try to get there in time, get in our shoes and feel the stress and pressure we have to go through. People really need to relax. Have a drink, get some kittykat, and chill.

The difference between this and the 123 where there's 3 other bus line is that there's only the 67 which runs every 2 - 3 hours. And say I missed the 67, and those two 137 trips via 549 that arrive in TR at 8:30p and 9:30p respectvely, refused to pick me up? I'd have to wait for the last 67 trip at 10:01pm!

Like I said in my other post while Toms River has excellent bus service to and from NYC the local bus service from there along the Rt.549 corridor is woefully inadequate. Ocean Ride doesnt even have routes along Rt.549 except the TR Connection which goes only to the mall and doesnt even serve the County College!

That's why I posted my idea of having every other 559 travel via 549, so there's hourly service between TR, Brick, and Lakewood between the 559 and 67.

Either that or extend the 139 to Toms River, but that would incur much more expense and isnt really neccesary. Either that or get the "Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders" to take local bus service seriously and make Ocean Ride better than a once in a blue moon service.

The difference between this and the 123 where there's 3 other bus line is that there's only the 67 which runs every 2 - 3 hours. And say I missed the 67, and those two 137 trips via 549 that arrive in TR at 8:30p and 9:30p respectvely, refused to pick me up? I'd have to wait for the last 67 trip at 10:01pm!

Like I said in my other post while Toms River has excellent bus service to and from NYC the local bus service from there along the Rt.549 corridor is woefully inadequate. Ocean Ride doesnt even have routes along Rt.549 except the TR Connection which goes only to the mall and doesnt even serve the County College!

That's why I posted my idea of having every other 559 travel via 549, so there's hourly service between TR, Brick, and Lakewood between the 559 and 67.

Either that or extend the 139 to Toms River, but that would incur much more expense and isnt really neccesary. Either that or get the "Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders" to take local bus service seriously and make Ocean Ride better than a once in a blue moon service.

You know the saying, one voice makes a difference. Well, get enough voices out there and make a petition and Ocean County will have to do something, or the people voted for the Board might not be there in the future. Think about that.

PinePower i agree with you 100 percent. tell those njtransit on their website. don't listen to other people like 553 bridgeton. he totally wrong. Nj transit need to clear that up on the schedule and drivers had to obey it. if this route you were riding as drop off it should have a note on the schedule saying "dp" for drop off only. you were right that driver should let you on to hep you get where you are going , not ignore you. Lot of times i reported to njtransit on service or how the crew function. it not because i am cry baby or anything like that. it that there is no higher boss hanging out with them. Like several time the train stop at Monmouth Park when they not suppose to because the schedule say when to stop. In the past they stop there everyday, now i guess because of low riderships or less horse race they only schedule the train to stop on friday, saturday and sunday. So, I report to the nj transit that the train is stopping at monmouth park from mon to thur and few days later the crew must gotten the message learn to read the schedule. duh!!!! Few times i have to report the engineer that he dont blow his horn in certain section. who fault is this not me, the engineer. Why? there no bosses above him watching him. if he does his job like he suppose to he wouldn't be hearing this stuff. You did the right thing and it nj transit fault not your because they hired all the bit**. My friend was bus driver and he wouldn't do this.

PinePower i agree with you 100 percent. tell those njtransit on their website. don't listen to other people like 553 bridgeton. he totally wrong. Nj transit need to clear that up on the schedule and drivers had to obey it. if this route you were riding as drop off it should have a note on the schedule saying "dp" for drop off only. you were right that driver should let you on to hep you get where you are going , not ignore you. Lot of times i reported to njtransit on service or how the crew function. it not because i am cry baby or anything like that. it that there is no higher boss hanging out with them. Like several time the train stop at Monmouth Park when they not suppose to because the schedule say when to stop. In the past they stop there everyday, now i guess because of low riderships or less horse race they only schedule the train to stop on friday, saturday and sunday. So, I report to the nj transit that the train is stopping at monmouth park from mon to thur and few days later the crew must gotten the message learn to read the schedule. duh!!!! Few times i have to report the engineer that he dont blow his horn in certain section. who fault is this not me, the engineer. Why? there no bosses above him watching him. if he does his job like he suppose to he wouldn't be hearing this stuff. You did the right thing and it nj transit fault not your because they hired all the bit**. My friend was bus driver and he wouldn't do this.

SNITCH!

Honestly who do YOU think you are trying to tell somebody how to do their THEIR jobs. You had two (NJT) B/Os tell you what the deal is with the local 137 plus me...and while I'm no NJT B/O, I am pretty observant and do talk to a couple guys from Howell.

This is why (MTA) and (NJT) people are gonna start disasppering from this board because you people live in a some kind of a fantasy world that public tranportation is all about what YOU want.

Who the hell are you? The 137 is UNOFFICALLY DROP OFF ONLY. The driver has to get back to PABT. As what was stated is people are not going to Toms River on the 137 via 549, thats why the 67 is there as local service.

I would go deeply into your post but your not worth it.

They hired all the bitches? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO JUDGE US? Let me tell you something as a person that has been on both sides of the equation, as a passenger and as a bus operator, sometimes, drivers have to do things to get back ON TIME to make sure that we service the people that are in NYC waiting for a bus to get home. If the 67 bus was late, that's their problem, not the 137 Local. From what I remember, it is drop off only. But, let me tell you this, I don't care who is your driver friend. You have no right, and I mean No ******* RIGHT to call ANYONE a bitch, no matter if they are a current driver or a past driver. Cuz those BITCH drivers are the ones carrying over 2 to 3,000 in cash doing trips to and from NY where some ******* can rob the B/O and frankly NJT won't give a damn unless the B/O is shot. The only exception is the 400/403 line where they did change it to full service, and I give KUDOS to NJT for that. We put our lives on the line every second we are in that bus. I've been assaulted, spitted on, threaten, harassed, and been discriminated upon because I was a B/O. And this is the shit that makes me NOT want to go back to ANY type of Bus Driving, because people think LESS of the people that do this job to make a living, to make money for their families, and to benefit themselves. People have ******* DIED doing this job, while serving the public, and you have the ******* Goddamned nerve to call us Bitches? Who the **** do you think you are, you piece of garbage?

Who the hell are you? The 137 is UNOFFICALLY DROP OFF ONLY. The driver has to get back to PABT. As what was stated is people are not going to Toms River on the 137 via 549, thats why the 67 is there as local service.

I would go deeply into your post but your not worth it.

Nah, don't even say anymore. I already said my piece just now. 553, you good.

Cant take criticism? this is open forum.

It wasnt criticism. Its bashing. Calling bus ops bitches. Its people like you why its to the point im not going to waste my time on this form anymore. Ofcourse ill be the one to get banned for what I say but your ass is still here posting nonsense. Im sorry harry, but if you need to ban me go right ahead. Im not here to curse at anyone nor have it out for anyone, im here to post good info for people that enjoys it but yet this cat is on her calling njt drivers bitches. it is what it is.

All i do is do my damn job so i can pay my damn bills and make a living but get called a "bitch". Too hell with it. Its easy to say what you idiot pax say, its easy because you idiots sit on your damn asses and whine about everything and expect us to bow down to yall. Im not bowing down to anyone.

peace out people.

"Dude why the hell are you bus operators ganging up on this guy?! I don't think the guy was "crying" or anything y'all are accusing him of doing.

Real shit, some of you bus operators on here sound bitter. It's not like he, or anyone else is complaining every single time a bus is late. Hell, the 94 bus being late as caused me to be late to MANY classes at my college but I try to be understanding about the fact that sometimes it may not be their fault..and besides that, the 94 is a frequent route anyway. But in this case, the bus operator REFUSED to pick up the pax and the bus behind him was one that doesn't even run frequently and ended up being 20 mins late anyways. There's no way anyone should think the bus operator was right in that situation.

Just cause passengers give you a hard time on your job don't mean you have to take it out on everyone that complains about something and write it off as "crying" or w/e. You have to understand that this guy, as well as many other pax have a place to go and a place to be at a certain time. If you want us to be understanding about the difficulty of your job, you have to give us pax the same respect.

As a matter of fact, lemme edit my post after I just saw the guy call bus drivers bitches cause I wanna clarify that the whole "bitter" part of my message wasn't referring to anyone who was responding to that guy. I just didn't like how y'all ganged up on the original poster just for complaining about the bus driver who wouldn't let him on. But the guy who called y'all bitches..yeah..gang up on him all ya want. he deserves it"

The point is that the responsibility for what could have happened to PinePower lands squarely on the shoulders of whoever does the runcutting for the 137. You can't give a B/O an unreasonably tight schedule in rush hour traffic and not expect something to give. In this case, he has to choose between making one or two people wait for the 67 (which by the way should have beaten him to the stop) or probably making 50+ people late out of PABT and getting an earful from his supervisor.

As far as the idea that the passenger is there to "police" the B/O, engineer, train crew, etc, I call bullshit. Yes, it would be nice if everyone did everything by the book, but reporting them (which effectively constitutes threatening their jobs) in situations where it's not practical or possible to go by the book is both highly offensive and unlikely to address the "problem" as you see it. First of all, have you ever considered the possibility that they had orders that happened to deviate from the daily schedule and all you are doing is making a nuisance of yourself? Second, even if what's going on isn't strictly by the book it's almost never worth complaining about. Let's look at some of your examples:

An extra stop at Monmouth Park? You have a new schedule and a new stopping policy in effect that not everyone knows about. Blaze by the stop and people are gonna get stranded for not knowing better. Stopping the train to let them on and then reminding them about the new policy is actually the laudable thing to do.

An engineer forgot to blow a horn at a certain point? Big f----ing deal. Pretty much the only time horn blowing matters is at a grade crossing, and those are all equipped with flashing lights and automatic gates anyway. Nobody smart enough not to deserve what they get is going to shave a grade crossing close enough to get hit because they didn't hear a horn.

Did you ever stop to consider the fact that you're not the only one trying to get from Point A to Point B? Transit staff are responsible for moving the most people they can as efficiently as possible, while still being held to schedules and policies that can be counterproductive. Most of them, especially the guys I've met on here, are honest, hardworking people trying to do right by their customers (us) and not piss off their bosses no different than the rest of us. Perhaps you should consider trusting them to do their jobs as they see fit instead of making their lives harder...

Edit: the anger here is mostly directed at pjbr40 for his "bitches" comment. While I don't believe the B/O was necessarily at fault for blowing PinePower off because the situation was out of his hands, I've been in that situation a couple of times and I can understand his frustration at getting flagged. My point was merely that the fault lies with the runcutting guys whose tight schedules led to the drop-off only policy rather than the individual B/Os.

Archived