NJ Transit 137 via Rt.549 service question

PinePower

Real shit, some of you bus operators on here sound bitter. It's not like he, or anyone else is complaining every single time a bus is late. Hell, the 94 bus being late as caused me to be late to MANY classes at my college but I try to be understanding about the fact that sometimes it may not be their fault..and besides that, the 94 is a frequent route anyway. But in this case, the bus operator REFUSED to pick up the pax and the bus behind him was one that doesn't even run frequently and ended up being 20 mins late anyways. There's no way anyone should think the bus operator was right in that situation.

Just cause passengers give you a hard time on your job don't mean you have to take it out on everyone that complains about something and write it off as "crying" or w/e. You have to understand that this guy, as well as many other pax have a place to go and a place to be at a certain time. If you want us to be understanding about the difficulty of your job, you have to give us pax the same respect.

As a matter of fact, lemme edit my post after I just saw the guy call bus drivers bitches cause I wanna clarify that the whole "bitter" part of my message wasn't referring to anyone who was responding to that guy. I just didn't like how y'all ganged up on the original poster just for complaining about the bus driver who wouldn't let him on. But the guy who called y'all bitches..yeah..gang up on him all ya want. he deserves it"

Exactly. The problem is that even though it is unofficially listed as "Drop-off-only, it's not listed on the schedule. Now, if it were listed on the schedule, it would be a different story, as it would've been the OP's responsibility to catch the 67 even though it ran every 3 hours. However, the schedule gave the impression that he'd be able to get on a bus, and that's where the problem lies.

This is especially a problem because of how infrequent the routes are. If you're talking about waiting another hour in the hope that a B/O can pick you up, it's serious.

Looking back at the OP's account, it appears that the 67 was 20 minutes late, so it came 5 minutes after the other bus left. In that case, I can understand the B/O doing what he did, though he should've at least told him that there was another bus behind him. Part of the problem is also the lack of communication.

The point is that the responsibility for what could have happened to PinePower lands squarely on the shoulders of whoever does the runcutting for the 137. You can't give a B/O an unreasonably tight schedule in rush hour traffic and not expect something to give. In this case, he has to choose between making one or two people wait for the 67 (which by the way should have beaten him to the stop) or probably making 50+ people late out of PABT and getting an earful from his supervisor.

As far as the idea that the passenger is there to "police" the B/O, engineer, train crew, etc, I call bullshit. Yes, it would be nice if everyone did everything by the book, but reporting them (which effectively constitutes threatening their jobs) in situations where it's not practical or possible to go by the book is both highly offensive and unlikely to address the "problem" as you see it. First of all, have you ever considered the possibility that they had orders that happened to deviate from the daily schedule and all you are doing is making a nuisance of yourself? Second, even if what's going on isn't strictly by the book it's almost never worth complaining about. Let's look at some of your examples:

An extra stop at Monmouth Park? You have a new schedule and a new stopping policy in effect that not everyone knows about. Blaze by the stop and people are gonna get stranded for not knowing better. Stopping the train to let them on and then reminding them about the new policy is actually the laudable thing to do.

(Bolded part) Exactly.

As far as reporting a B/O, or T/O, you're right that it shouldn't be done unless something happens (e.g. The B/O is texting and gets into an accident, it should be mentioned that he was texting). Something as trivial as an extra stop is just that-something trivial.

I am sorry if I made an insult and get banned by Harry but I need to tell these little prick this...

Don't you DARE call anyone a bitch!! Your lucky that you even have a transit system to rely on...People are trying to make a living and you call them a bitch?? I don't think so...People risk there lives to make a living and you call them bitches...no reason to bash the PinePower, but calling B/O's a bitch? Like I said your lucky you even have public transit or else you'll be walking and driving....If its NJT's fault then go complain to them...complain...complain...they will just ******* ignore you and move on.....You call people serving the public a bitch....there are B/O's here and you call them a bitch......thats a BIG insult and they DO NOT deserve anything like that...If you don't like public transit and think its there fault for trying there best to make it frequent then...Get your ass out of here..

@pjbr40: Don't say that!! 553 is not a b***h. He is a man who is doing a good deed as I stated before. He doesn't deserve to be treated like that. :mad: That would be like me cleaning up the whole Hudson River and then getting an earful from angry people saying "You didn't use the right net!!" Not cool @pjbr40. Not cool :tdown:

Who the hell are you? The 137 is UNOFFICALLY DROP OFF ONLY. The driver has to get back to PABT. As what was stated is people are not going to Toms River on the 137 via 549, thats why the 67 is there as local service.

I would go deeply into your post but your not worth it.

Where does it say that on the schedule?

Actually the 137 arrived early at 7:25pm ish, but the schedule says they can arrive early and I knew that arriving at the bus stop at 7:15pm.

As far as claiming the operator needed time to get back to PABT HE WAS RUNNING EARLY NOT LATE so that's pure B.S.

The driver had to stop there anyway what was the big deal? The schedule says it goes to Toms River so it should go there.

Not everyone travels to NY in the AM and back in the PM, and I'm sick of being looked down upon just because I'm not traveling with the crowd. He still had a good amt of ppl on the bus when he left, probably getting off down Rt.549 all the way down to the mall.

So what is 5 extra minutes worth to a bus that's already running early? Because his minutes are more important than delaying me another hour or more?

I put up with the same BS with those Montauk trains that pass thru Hicksville but dont stop forcing me to waste an hour of my time and money too backtracking to Jamaica, because some people dont want to be delayed 2 minutes. Everybody's time is important, and every passenger should be treated EQUALLY whether he's an NYC commuter or not!

If the 137 is drop off only it should say so on the schedule, then I'd understand. Although I love that area local bus service is beyond messed up! That's why I'd never move there.

NJT should either beef up 67 service and have the 137 as drop off only or Ocean Ride should expand service!

SNITCH!

Honestly who do YOU think you are trying to tell somebody how to do their THEIR jobs. You had two (NJT) B/Os tell you what the deal is with the local 137 plus me...and while I'm no NJT B/O, I am pretty observant and do talk to a couple guys from Howell.

This is why (MTA) and (NJT) people are gonna start disasppering from this board because you people live in a some kind of a fantasy world that public tranportation is all about what YOU want.

Funny this is the first time a 137 flagged me out of probably 20 or so trips I've taken from there. Most drivers have had no problem with it. Also there's often pax going to the 549 area in TR as well. And often I'm not the only one getting on the way to TR.

Its not about what I want its about the schedule. The schedule says it goes to Toms River and doesn't mention drop off only.

If it did I'd never blame the driver. Instead I'd have to complain about the beyond pathetic 67 service and abysmal Ocean Ride.

I dont want this driver to get in trouble, what I want is NJT to either remind the drivers they cant flag pax or print drop off only on the schedule. On fixed route transit there should never be "unofficial rules".

There's always a few cabs at Brick Plaza just waiting to take advantage of the lousy bus service there. ;)

Maybe some 139 trips should run to Toms River which would solve the problem. Ocean Ride should either get its act together or be taken over by NJT.

Actually the 137 arrived early at 7:25pm ish, but the schedule says they can arrive early and I knew that arriving at the bus stop at 7:15pm.

As far as claiming the operator needed time to get back to PABT HE WAS RUNNING EARLY NOT LATE so that's pure B.S.

The driver had to stop there anyway what was the big deal? The schedule says it goes to Toms River so it should go there.

Not everyone travels to NY in the AM and back in the PM, and I'm sick of being looked down upon just because I'm not traveling with the crowd. He still had a good amt of ppl on the bus when he left, probably getting off down Rt.549 all the way down to the mall.

So what is 5 extra minutes worth to a bus that's already running early? Because his minutes are more important than delaying me another hour or more?

I put up with the same BS with those Montauk trains that pass thru Hicksville but dont stop forcing me to waste an hour of my time and money too backtracking to Jamaica, because some people dont want to be delayed 2 minutes. Everybody's time is important, and every passenger should be treated EQUALLY whether he's an NYC commuter or not!

If the 137 is drop off only it should say so on the schedule, then I'd understand. Although I love that area local bus service is beyond messed up! That's why I'd never move there.

NJT should either beef up 67 service and have the 137 as drop off only or Ocean Ride should expand service!

Looking back at your post, that makes it even worse. If he had passengers already on the bus, and he was running early, he had nothing to lose by taking you on.

As far as passengers being equal, I do think NYC customers should get higher priority, simply because there are a larger number of them. However, if the non-NYC passengers are already at the stop, they shouldn't have to wait a ridiculously long time just so NYC passengers can save a couple of minutes.

This will be my last post on this because it's becoming the same circular argument that happens all the time between the people that operate (and know what the hell they are talking about!) and the people that can't drive a bumper car.

The 137s whole purpose is to get people to NYC quickly in the AM and back to Brick/Toms River in the PM. The 67 is considered the local bus for that area...so in a situation that the 67 and the 137 are running back to back, the 137 is drop off only!

As far as your trip, you could have easily caught a 67 heading to Lakewood to connect with a 139 back to the city, so don't ask like you would have been stuck in Brick with no way home. Regardless of how it happened, you made your connection and got home at the time you wanted. Case Closed, Have a Nice Day....Don't Come Again!

And other note: I do hope 553 changes his mind and remains a part of this community.I can say I find his posts informative (as well as funny as hell!) and his insights to the inner workings of (NJT) have been invaluable to me as I am trying to enter the (NJT) workforce. But I totally understand why he would'nt....you get bitched at work all day and get called a bitch on an transit forums. He doesn't need that.....none of the employees on here do! It's not about being bitter, its about showing the proper respect to the employees on this site that provide a vital service in NJ. Honestly nothing less than a public apology is in order.

Cant take criticism? this is open forum.

Not all that open, you need to watch what you say around these parts especially when you have peeps like us watching over these threads...NJT Bus Ops are bitches? You need to go take a real good look in the mirror....

And other note: I do hope 553 changes his mind and remains a part of this community.I can say I find his posts informative (as well as funny as hell!) and his insights to the inner workings of (NJT) have been invaluable to me as I am trying to enter the (NJT) workforce. But I totally understand why he would'nt....you get bitched at work all day and get called a bitch on an transit forums. He doesn't need that.....none of the employees on here do! It's not about being bitter, its about showing the proper respect to the employees on this site that provide a vital service in NJ. Honestly nothing less than a public apology is in order.

Well said...

PinePower i agree with you 100 percent. tell those njtransit on their website. don't listen to other people like 553 bridgeton. he totally wrong. Nj transit need to clear that up on the schedule and drivers had to obey it. if this route you were riding as drop off it should have a note on the schedule saying "dp" for drop off only. you were right that driver should let you on to hep you get where you are going , not ignore you. Lot of times i reported to njtransit on service or how the crew function. it not because i am cry baby or anything like that. it that there is no higher boss hanging out with them.....

....if he does his job like he suppose to he wouldn't be hearing this stuff. You did the right thing and it nj transit fault not your because they hired all the bit**. My friend was bus driver and he wouldn't do this.

How would you like the common man telling you how to do your job (if you even work) & nitpick on everything that happens along the way that isn't to perfection.... You don't realize that people like you & Pinepower aren't a dime a freakin dozen.... Bitching, Snitching, and itching to wanna try to wann regulate something you have no damn business gettin involved in....

there's no bosses watching/tagging along with these drivers? Get real, do you realize how many buses are out there on the road, genius..... even if NJT were to have some higher up riding each & every bus, do you know how much money would have to be paid out to those ppl.... then you'd be bitching about waste of state funds & shit.....

As for NJT hiring all the bitches? yeah f*** you too.....

Cant take criticism? this is open forum.

Calling honest working folks bitches aint criticism.....

"Dude why the hell are you bus operators ganging up on this guy?! I don't think the guy was "crying" or anything y'all are accusing him of doing.

Real shit, some of you bus operators on here sound bitter. It's not like he, or anyone else is complaining every single time a bus is late. Hell, the 94 bus being late as caused me to be late to MANY classes at my college but I try to be understanding about the fact that sometimes it may not be their fault..and besides that, the 94 is a frequent route anyway. But in this case, the bus operator REFUSED to pick up the pax and the bus behind him was one that doesn't even run frequently and ended up being 20 mins late anyways. There's no way anyone should think the bus operator was right in that situation.

Just cause passengers give you a hard time on your job don't mean you have to take it out on everyone that complains about something and write it off as "crying" or w/e. You have to understand that this guy, as well as many other pax have a place to go and a place to be at a certain time. If you want us to be understanding about the difficulty of your job, you have to give us pax the same respect.

As a matter of fact, lemme edit my post after I just saw the guy call bus drivers bitches cause I wanna clarify that the whole "bitter" part of my message wasn't referring to anyone who was responding to that guy. I just didn't like how y'all ganged up on the original poster just for complaining about the bus driver who wouldn't let him on. But the guy who called y'all bitches..yeah..gang up on him all ya want. he deserves it"

1st paragraph

Consider the source....

Pinepower is known around the transit community for constantly, incessantly complaining about some facet of his commute; we are talking years of this.... Not only in plain text, but he makes videos ranting also... The shit gets old & stale fast... It makes it bad for the rest of us riders that aren't sittin around moping & looking to complain when something doesn't go right during the course of a particular ride... YOU try to be understanding MixxDiddy, ppl. like this guy pinepower do not....

2nd & 3rd paragraphs

Yeah, but the average working man isn't being spat on, cursed out, constantly shamed and/or belittled not only by the passengers, but their very own employer as well (that last part ppl. tend to not realize)... it's like a slap in the face to have some of the very ppl. you're transporting treat you like you're a worthless piece of shit on top of that......

And I'm sorry, but I have to say more often than not, the b/o is disrespected by some passenger, moreso than it is a b/o disrespecting some passenger..... Having been fanning along certain cities (plural) for about 15 odd years now, I get appalled at how b/o's are treated in general - and get pissed off to no end when I hear about b/o's getting assaulted, or even losing their lives.... these guys are not fighting wars, they're driving buses for crying out loud..... but of course, guys like Pinepower tend to not consider any of this (at least when he posts on these forums anyway).....

4th paragraph

He comes on these forums complaining in the manner he does, he should expect to get ganged up on....

Not sayin it's "right", but he shouldn't be impervious or immune to have it happen to him either.... comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned.....

as for the other fly-by-night member, IDGAF what happens to him w/ that asinine attitude he came on here with either.....

If the 137 were drop off only, as many times as you say you been out there, you'd have realized it by now.... I don't believe it when you'd say you'd understand.... You'd go about creating some thread w/ the general message - Why is the 137 dropoff only in that part of NJ where service is as sparse as it is, yada yada yada.... you know it, I know it, and everyone else that realize how you are on these forums would realize it !

So lemme guess, that b/o flagged you *just because* huh?

Listen, the world doesn't exist to f*** you over, get off of that BS.... that's the basic undertone you exude in your commentary.....

Public transportation exists, and is conformed to (attempt to better) serve the masses, not the casual rider, or the rider that's in the minority....

You got me by a couple years, and worse, you live in an area where service isn't the greatest - and you for w/e reason still don't seem to want to realize that, or come to grips with that.....

You have to understand why certain routes exist; every route isn't cookie-cutter.....

T'hell with it, I'm gonna end this with a quote that BZ made....

The 137s whole purpose is to get people to NYC quickly in the AM and back to Brick/Toms River in the PM. The 67 is considered the local bus for that area..

-fin

HE WAS RUNNING EARLY NOT LATE so that's pure B.S.

That doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does; depending on how the guy's daily run looks he might not be early enough to make it back to PABT on time. You're essentially assuming that his schedule leaves him adequate time to get back to PABT if he finishes his run on time; the fact that there's an unofficial "drop-off only" policy tells me otherwise. It means that for whatever reason (most likely bad traffic on the deadheading route) B/Os on that line need to reliably finish at least 10-15 minutes early if they want to make it back to Port Authority on time for their next trip. At that point, it's entirely conceivable that the extra time involved in picking up and discharging one or two extra people could be be enough to make the B/O late.

How many times will I have to say this: what happened to you sucked, but the fault lies with whoever thought they could cut the 137 runs that damn tight with no consequences. I agree that given the situation it would be better if NJT actually listed the 137 as drop-off only and beefed up 67 service accordingly, but your complaint should be that the schedule doesn't effectively mirror the reality the B/O has to live with, not that the B/O didn't prioritize you over making his next trip on time.

That doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does; depending on how the guy's daily run looks he might not be early enough to make it back to PABT on time. You're essentially assuming that his schedule leaves him adequate time to get back to PABT if he finishes his run on time; the fact that there's an unofficial "drop-off only" policy tells me otherwise. It means that for whatever reason (most likely bad traffic on the deadheading route) B/Os on that line need to reliably finish at least 10-15 minutes early if they want to make it back to Port Authority on time for their next trip. At that point, it's entirely conceivable that the extra time involved in picking up and discharging one or two extra people could be be enough to make the B/O late.

How many times will I have to say this: what happened to you sucked, but the fault lies with whoever thought they could cut the 137 runs that damn tight with no consequences. I agree that given the situation it would be better if NJT actually listed the 137 as drop-off only and beefed up 67 service accordingly, but your complaint should be that the schedule doesn't effectively mirror the reality the B/O has to live with, not that the B/O didn't prioritize you over making his next trip on time.

Hey I never said it was entirely the B/O's fault, if the schedules are indeed cut that tight, then something needs to be changed. Have the runs end in Brick so the B/O can get back on schedule easier.

My complaint to NJT will hopefully result in these kinds of changes and NOT the b/o getting in trouble.

Heck I always thought the b/o's on those 137 runs head back to Howell and go home, because whenever I'd see them pull in to Toms River they usually dont leave right away. If they are indeed heading back to PABT are they being put on the 139s? It is completely unrealistic to expect them to do a second rush hour run but from I'm hearing here that's exact what's happening.

So a 137 that gets into Toms River at 8pm may actually be assigned to leave PABT at 9pm? That is completely nuts...

I have seen 139's interlined with 137s because I've seen 139's often traveling down Rt.9 not in service to become 137 express in TR.

I'd like to hear some of the actual schedules for thse 137's as far as their deadheading time to PABT goes.

Hey I never said it was entirely the B/O's fault, if the schedules are indeed cut that tight, then something needs to be changed. Have the runs end in Brick so the B/O can get back on schedule easier.

My complaint to NJT will hopefully result in these kinds of changes and NOT the b/o getting in trouble.

Heck I always thought the b/o's on those 137 runs head back to Howell and go home, because whenever I'd see them pull in to Toms River they usually dont leave right away. If they are indeed heading back to PABT are they being put on the 139s? It is completely unrealistic to expect them to do a second rush hour run but from I'm hearing here that's exact what's happening.

So a 137 that gets into Toms River at 8pm may actually be assigned to leave PABT at 9pm? That is completely nuts...

I have seen 139's interlined with 137s because I've seen 139's often traveling down Rt.9 not in service to become 137 express in TR.

I'd like to hear some of the actual schedules for thse 137's as far as their deadheading time to PABT goes.

true they would be better off extending 139 to toms river. the 67 and ocean ride ARE THE DEFINITION OF DISGRACEFUL THEY MAKE DUTCHESS LOOP LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinepower I think you should have cleared this up in ur first post so these bus ops wouldn't err flame ur ass for literally nothing cause due to the misunderstanding you caused you created 3 pages of wasteful flaming thanks to the bus ops here just saying this post is a bit late.

If it was me I would have a few additional rtes going into toms river to indirectly help the situation won't reveal the lines though:cool: I actually liked 553's insight it allowed me to finetune and work out the kinks in my NJT proposal and learn about problems I've never even heard of thx guys now at the end of this month my NJT proposal will be finished at last.

true they would be better off extending 139 to toms river. the 67 and ocean ride ARE THE DEFINITION OF DISGRACEFUL THEY MAKE DUTCHESS LOOP LOOK GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinepower I think you should have cleared this up in ur first post so these bus ops wouldn't err flame ur ass for literally nothing cause due to the misunderstanding you caused you created 3 pages of wasteful flaming thanks to the bus ops here just saying this post is a bit late.

If it was me I would have a few additional rtes going into toms river to indirectly help the situation won't reveal the lines though:cool: I actually liked 553's insight it allowed me to finetune and work out the kinks in my NJT proposal and learn about problems I've never even heard of thx guys now at the end of this month my NJT proposal will be finished at last.

Well I had no idea of the tight scheduling until it was brought to my attention. Brick Town really has a pathetic transit situation. At least in TR you have the 559 which is hourly.

I guess I'll have to frequent Brick less often. ;)

Well I had no idea of the tight scheduling until it was brought to my attention. Brick Town really has a pathetic transit situation. At least in TR you have the 559 which is hourly.

And I Strongly suggest you watch your words carefully. You are not in the shoes that people like 553 and myself are wearing. You don't have to risk your life and 49 to 72 other people in a 11'5, 13.5 Ton vehicle hoping nothing happens. I did and I'm glad I did it and I'll do it again. There's good friends of mine, one that just died a few months ago in NYC that did what I did. And I have friends from all over the state, from North, Central, and South garages, and people in NYC that knows who I am and knows the struggles that people like myself, 553, and others go through. For you to call us ANYTHING without know the type of bullshit that some people go through, again, watch what you say. Because you never know when a "BITCH" saves you from a situation you got your mouth into.

And I Strongly suggest you watch your words carefully. You are not in the shoes that people like 553 and myself are wearing. You don't have to risk your life and 49 to 72 other people in a 11'5, 13.5 Ton vehicle hoping nothing happens. I did and I'm glad I did it and I'll do it again. There's good friends of mine, one that just died a few months ago in NYC that did what I did. And I have friends from all over the state, from North, Central, and South garages, and people in NYC that knows who I am and knows the struggles that people like myself, 553, and others go through. For you to call us ANYTHING without know the type of bullshit that some people go through, again, watch what you say. Because you never know when a "BITCH" saves you from a situation you got your mouth into.

Archived