Video: New Jersey Bus Driver Texting While Driving On Highway

mark1447

A few days old but here you go...

And here we have video of a NJ Transit private bus driver multitasking while cruising down the highway on Friday. He's probably just sending a text to his wife to let her know he's going to be home late because he picked up a second shift at the other job he works as part of a desperate attempt to pay off their mortgage. Hopefully he won't get fired, but we have to weigh this man's pension against the public's right to not die in a fiery bus crash. Also, page views!

The pan over to the "Cell Phone Use Is Prohibited" sign really is priceless. NJ Transit has not responded to a request for comment on the video (all their authorized spokespersons were in a meeting this morning). But state law in NJ prohibits drivers from using handheld devices (which includes texting) while driving. We'll update when we hear back from NJ Transit.

Courtney Carroll, a spokesperson for NJ Transit, tells us it's a private bus line, "not a New Jersey Transit bus." (The person who uploaded the video identified it as "a NJ Transit Private Bus Line.") Carroll says, "There are private bus routes, and there are contracted routes where a private carrier will operate under contract with us." But she was not able to confirm what bus route this was. So maybe our text-happy Ralph Kramden dodged a bullet here!

Video and Source:

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/04/video_nj_transit_bus_driver_texting.php

CBS2:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/05/nj-bus-company-to-suspend-driver-for-allegedly-texting-at-the-wheel/

(Lakeland Driver)

Ok, so the same ******** that text or talk on their cell while they're driving their passenger cars, driving wrecklessly while a bus tries to avoid them, so that means the car can text and the bus cant? Ok, let me say this, yes the B/O shouldn't be doing that, but you know what? Over 70% of drivers on the road uses their phones to call talk or text WHILE DRIVING. Doesn't matter if its a car, Bus, truck, whatever. ****, I seen the POLICE do it. So, you tell me, people, if the POLICE can do it without no problems, why can't regular people do it if the Police are the ******* hypocrites? People need to shut the **** up and leave the alone. The driver knew what he was doing and if someone needs to, he'll get reprimanded but let the bosses do it, not private citizens. I mean, come on, people have lives. It annoys the shit out of me. I hate with ppl text while driving but I dont go make a complete official police report unless that dude hits me or my car, then the gloves are off. People need to get a grip and a life.

AGAIN! Really.....guys have we not learned our lesson here?

He really should have pulled over or waited until he was at a light or something to do that. At least be a bit more discreate, holding the phone up to your face is a bit much.

But the jackass who videotaped him was in the wrong too. If you were so concerned then why not say something right then and there. And don't say your not trying to get the guy in trouble because you sent it to the news not Lakeland.

People wonder why drivers hate the passengers.....first rate example right here!

I really dont blame the driver, however he was stupid for holding it out like that. The problem is cell phones are so in tune with our daily everyday lives that its basically impossible to go without using it for 8-10hr days. Thats the price we humans pay for making cells to the point that its impossible to not use it. Think about it, if you leave your phone at home you feel lost. Now me I would never use my phone behind the wheel of a bus, but ive done so in my car. I use it when im on layovers tho, and I dare a pax to say something then.

Now as for that Lakeland bus(a NJT bus) it did say use texting instead, so thats why the driver only got suspended. While NJT buses prohibits cell phone/radio use all together unless you have a bluetooth or earphone.

IIRC Lakeland is a family owned business so I highly doubt the fact the driver would get fired. He probably was suspended for a few days.

I really dont blame the driver, however he was stupid for holding it out like that. The problem is cell phones are so in tune with our daily everyday lives that its basically impossible to go without using it for 8-10hr days. Thats the price we humans pay for making cells to the point that its impossible to not use it. Think about it, if you leave your phone at home you feel lost. Now me I would never use my phone behind the wheel of a bus, but ive done so in my car. I use it when im on layovers tho, and I dare a pax to say something then.

Now as for that Lakeland bus(a NJT bus) it did say use texting instead, so thats why the driver only got suspended. While NJT buses prohibits cell phone/radio use all together unless you have a bluetooth or earphone.

IIRC Lakeland is a family owned business so I highly doubt the fact the driver would get fired. He probably was suspended for a few days.

Not in the North, my friend. A B/O not too long ago was fired for having his bluetooth on his leg ear. Regional caught him after being asked 6 times to get rid of it while driving.

Archived