86 street on lex line to times square

chipahoy82

My first post, here it goes...

I live on the UES near the 86 street 4/5/6 Lexington Avenue station. Which way do you think is the quckest to and from Times Square during rush hour:

1) Take 4/5 to 59th street...transfer to N/R/Q to Times Square

2) Take 4/5 to Grand Central...take Shuttle to Times Square

I know option 2 has less stops overall, but it has a longer transfer passageway between the two trains.

From looking at the MTA Trip Planner it recommends Option 2, but wanted to get thoughts from "the experts". At Times Square both trains basically let you off in the same place (of course the N/R/Q is deeper underground) Thanks!

Shuttle is slightly faster as long as you don't mind the walk at Grand Central.

Thanks...yea it's a slightly longer walk for the transfer at Grand Central, but I had a feeling it was a little quicker. And during rush hour, you probably wait at most like 2-3 minutes for a shuttle. Although probably overall the time difference is only a couple minutes. I was curious to see if there were others who do this route from the UES daily and what they take.

4/5 to shuttle.

I'm assuming you would say the same thing, even if you were coming from a local stop on the UES (77th or 68th on the 6 train). I'm assuming even with those added stops on the 6, taking it to Grand Central and transferring to shuttle is still quicker than the N/R/Q route?

If there's no delays (besides the typical Lexington Avenue delays) then take it to the shuttle. I live on the Upper East Side and I find it much more pleasant to have a shuttle come every minute or two than wait 5+ minutes for an overcrowded (N)(Q)(R).

I'm assuming you would say the same thing, even if you were coming from a local stop on the UES (77th or 68th on the 6 train). I'm assuming even with those added stops on the 6, taking it to Grand Central and transferring to shuttle is still quicker than the N/R/Q route?

Yes. I dont mind the Lexington avenue line when the trains run local, I just dont like the delays, and yes its faster then waiting like over 5 minutes for a (N)(Q)(R) train, its worse on the weekends, IMO.

Yes. Six stops (77th, 68th, 59th, 51st, 42nd, TSQ)

vs.

Seven (77th, 68th, 59th, 5th ave, 57th, 49th, TSQ)

Also the IRT stops go quicker and trains run more frequently, the BMT slows down in the area of 57th due to curves and the trains generally come less often. Not a huge difference but a few minutes difference.

Archived