An idea: Should the "S93' serve the Brooklyn VA Medical center when it runs?

Shortline Bus

Guys have an idea for a change to SI bus service. Should the (S79) if and when it gets SBS service and also right now the (S93) loop and serve the Brooklyn VA Medical Center in Dyker Heights? I suggested it, since it seems the (MTA) refuses to re-start at least partial (B8) service to the 95th Street (R) station. Before the June 2010 cuts, i would always see at least 5-10 riders or sometimes more transfer between the (B8) and the SI buses at Ft Hamilton Pwy/92nd Street stop. The current (B70) adds an extra fare/transfer when transfering at both the VA Hosp. and Ft Hamilton Pwy/92nd Street.

I seen prior to June '10, nurses/home health attendants who live as far as East Flatbush uses to use the (B8)/(S53) (S79) (S93) at hosptials and other jobs in Staten Island.

Plus at least during rush hours it restores a 1-fare ride for cash or Pay Per Ride metrocard users between the (B8) and a bus going to/from Staten Island. The would stop on Bay Ridge-bound SBS (S79) and (S93) trips and riders boarding at the VA Medical Center would stay on the bus as it terminates at the 86th St-Bay Ridge (R) station before it heads back to SI.

Plus it should cost very little money since the buses are already in service use. Only negative is that this slight extension adds 10 minutes to the trip.

Just wondering guys and await your comments? Thanks

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the S79 and S93 routes are where they are now. Having to take the B70 to VA hospital does add an extra transfer, but it's really not that much.

Plus, that might make the S53 more crowded since that would be the only bus to serve Bay Ridge. I think commuters coming from SI mostly go to Bay ridge rather than VA. I am not saying that no one goes there, but like I said, it's better to just keep the routes where they are now.

I don't think there is enough demand to route the SI-Brooklyn routes to Dyker Heights. The routes would probably be better off being extended to 59th Street to have a connection to the (N) Express.

I think the S79 and S93 routes are where they are now. Having to take the B70 to VA hospital does add an extra transfer, but it's really not that much.

Plus, that might make the S53 more crowded since that would be the only bus to serve Bay Ridge. I think commuters coming from SI mostly go to Bay ridge rather than VA. I am not saying that no one goes there, but like I said, it's better to just keep the routes where they are now.

S78, both the Brooklyn bound (S93) and alternative (S79) would still serve and terminate at the 86th station. It would *first loop in/out* of the Va Hosptial during weekdays only. Only lost stop 86th-bound would be at 92nd St/Ft Hamilton Pwy. SI-bound service remains the same. Just wanted to clairfy.

Routing: VZ Bridge, 92nd, 7th Ave, Cropsey Ext and then loop thru the VA center. Then via northbound 7th Ave, 86th and then terminate at the 86th St (R) station.

I'd say no... one can walk from the first stop in BK on the SI routes to the VA (Yes, I have done it plenty of times, I did this pretty much everyday this past week lol). For the actual patients and/or lazy employees that don't want to walk there.... just have them transfer to the 70. If they don't like it....

**Inert deal with it GIF**

Btw, I don't commute on the SI routes... I just walk to the (R) train as I just don't feel taking the B8 back home most times.

Guys have an idea for a change to SI bus service. Should the (S79) if and when it gets SBS service and also right now the (S93) loop and serve the Brooklyn VA Medical Center in Dyker Heights? I suggested it, since it seems the (MTA) refuses to re-start at least partial (B8) service to the 95th Street (R) station. Before the June 2010 cuts, i would always see at least 5-10 riders or sometimes more transfer between the (B8) and the SI buses at Ft Hamilton Pwy/92nd Street stop. The current (B70) adds an extra fare/transfer when transfering at both the VA Hosp. and Ft Hamilton Pwy/92nd Street.

I seen prior to June '10, nurses/home health attendants who live as far as East Flatbush uses to use the (B8)/(S53) (S79) (S93) at hosptials and other jobs in Staten Island.

Plus at least during rush hours it restores a 1-fare ride for cash or Pay Per Ride metrocard users between the (B8) and a bus going to/from Staten Island. The would stop on Bay Ridge-bound SBS (S79) and (S93) trips and riders boarding at the VA Medical Center would stay on the bus as it terminates at the 86th St-Bay Ridge (R) station before it heads back to SI.

Plus it should cost very little money since the buses are already in service use. Only negative is that this slight extension adds 10 minutes to the trip.

Just wondering guys and await your comments? Thanks

Two words: Hell no.

Seriously, though, I think its better that the S93 serve the 86th Street station directly instead of diverting to the hospital. Yeah, you may have some S93 riders who have to take a bus to the S93 and then take the B70 to the VA Hospital, but they're in the minority. Far more riders would have to go through that diversion to reach the subway (and during the summer, I was one of those riders)

I think the B8 should just get extended back to 95th Street and that's it.

Also, if you want to save people from having to pay the extra fare (which I don't think the MTA is interested in), you offer another transfer. You don't extend a route (not to mention that in this case, you can walk to the hospital. It's not that far)

S93 to VA Hosp.....

I'd have to say no also; all that's gonna accomplish is making the commute for SI-ers worse for no justifiable reason at all.... S78 Hylan may not say it, but I will - What Staten Islander is really seeking service to a hospital in Brooklyn like that..... That's a good way to kill off that route IMO.....

Simply put, extending SI routes should not be a substitute & a solution for the lack of (frequent enough) service during the weekday b/w Bay Ridge & VA hospital in BROOKLYN.... VA = Veterans Administration....

As others have said, and I've been screaming this for a while now, and it is needed out there....

Put the B8 BACK out there @ 95th st (R).... They should have never reverted back to the pre '95 B8 route (where all buses ended @ the hospital) in the first place.... the B70 (even though service & usage has increased on that route) aint cuttin it....

Great point (B35). I suggested a possible (S93) extension (it would still terminate/serve the 86th (R) station)since it the shortest of the '3' SI routes serving Brooklyn. Not to mention a ton of CSI(college of staten island)students live in Brooklyn and miss that 1-fare 'direct' transfer to the (B8).

Best thing 100% agree is for the (MTA) to restore full time daytime (B8) service with every 2nd-3rd bus going to/from 95th St (about every 20-30 minutes)and all trips after 9pm termanting in Bay Ridge via the VA Hosp.

Thus guys please don't think this was a foamer idea. Just trying to come with an idea that might work.:eek:

S93 to VA Hosp.....

I'd have to say no also; all that's gonna accomplish is making the commute for SI-ers worse for no justifiable reason at all.... S78 Hylan may not say it, but I will - What Staten Islander is really seeking service to a hospital in Brooklyn like that..... That's a good way to kill off that route IMO.....

Simply put, extending SI routes should not be a substitute & a solution for the lack of (frequent enough) service during the weekday b/w Bay Ridge & VA hospital in BROOKLYN.... VA = Veterans Administration....

As others have said, and I've been screaming this for a while now, and it is needed out there....

Put the B8 BACK out there @ 95th st (R).... They should have never reverted back to the pre '95 B8 route (where all buses ended @ the hospital) in the first place.... the B70 (even though service & usage has increased on that route) aint cuttin it....

If the MTA was to impose more/unlimited transfers within 2 hours on one fare, they would probably be able to overcome the cost by shortening MANY bus routes.

I agree. They should allow at least '2' free transfers on any form of transit i.e subway-bus-bus or bus-bus-bus for pay per ride riders. This option would help in the problem in this case connecting the (B8) to the SI bus routes in Bay Ridge.

With that said, many (B8) riders especially nurses/home health attendants who live in East Flatbush work at Victory Hosptial on 7th Ave & 92nd or even in SI. My friend's Mom as a Nursing Asst.(one who fixes my computer)lives in East Flatbush and commutes to Seaview Hosptial in SI. Her commute since the (B8)has increased as much as 30-40 minutes. The (MTA) did a bad job in most of Brooklyn with the doomsday '10 cuts. Restoring full time the (B8) to Bay Ridge and also the (B4) to Sheapshead Bay should be done asap.

If the MTA was to impose more/unlimited transfers within 2 hours on one fare, they would probably be able to overcome the cost by shortening MANY bus routes.

I agree. They should allow at least '2' free transfers on any form of transit i.e subway-bus-bus or bus-bus-bus for pay per ride riders. This option would help in the problem in this case connecting the (B8) to the SI bus routes in Bay Ridge.

With that said, many (B8) riders especially nurses/home health attendants who live in East Flatbush work at Victory Hosptial on 7th Ave & 92nd or even in SI. My friend's Mom as a Nursing Asst.(one who fixes my computer)lives in East Flatbush and commutes to Seaview Hosptial in SI. Her commute since the (B8)has increased as much as 30-40 minutes. The (MTA) did a bad job in most of Brooklyn with the doomsday '10 cuts. Restoring full time the (B8) to Bay Ridge and also the (B4) to Sheapshead Bay should be done asap.

I say no extensions like that on the S93 at all. The S93 serves a purpose, which is clearly to get CSI students to and from Brooklyn QUICKLY. Checkmate has been on the (MTA) to extend the S93 westward along Victory Blvd on Staten Island and they won't do it currently. They studied his proposal and said that due to budget issues, they wouldn't feel comfortable extending the S93 westward into a "unknown" market, plus they don't want to reduce the frequencies on other lines along Victory Blvd because they think that the current frequencies are necessary to meet ridership demand. As I stated before, I think the S93, S79 and S53 should be extended north to 59th street via 4th Avenue to connect with the (N) directly. My S83 proposal is still pending at the moment, but I do think that there needs to another route that connects Staten Island, South Western Brooklyn and South Eastern Brooklyn better without having to transfer to the B1, or better yet, make the B1 a limited stop bus to Manhattan Beach.

I think extending the S93 westward could make the line more inefficient, where as with the extension up 4th Avenue, there isn't a ton of traffic, so buses should be able to move relatively quickly. I can't say the same however along Victory Blvd with all of the traffic lights and congestion. :mad:

I say no extensions like that on the S93 at all. The S93 serves a purpose, which is clearly to get CSI students to and from Brooklyn QUICKLY. Checkmate has been on the (MTA) to extend the S93 westward along Victory Blvd on Staten Island and they won't do it currently. They studied his proposal and said that due to budget issues, they wouldn't feel comfortable extending the S93 westward into a "unknown" market, plus they don't want to reduce the frequencies on other lines along Victory Blvd because they think that the current frequencies are necessary to meet ridership demand. As I stated before, I think the S93, S79 and S53 should be extended north to 59th street via 4th Avenue to connect with the (N) directly. My S83 proposal is still pending at the moment, but I do think that there needs to another route that connects Staten Island, South Western Brooklyn and South Eastern Brooklyn better without having to transfer to the B1, or better yet, make the B1 a limited stop bus to Manhattan Beach.

I think extending the S93 westward could make the line more inefficient, where as with the extension up 4th Avenue, there isn't a ton of traffic, so buses should be able to move relatively quickly. I can't say the same however along Victory Blvd with all of the traffic lights and congestion. :mad:

Yeah...studied...right. More like "Came up with BS to get me off their back". :mad:

In any case, they totally ignored (as in didn't even respond to) the S83 part of my proposal as well, so it's a loss for both of us. :mad:

Don't worry, though. I'm not giving up. ;)

Yeah...studied...right. More like "Came up with BS to get me off their back". :mad:

In any case, they totally ignored (as in didn't even respond to) the S83 part of my proposal as well, so it's a loss for both of us. :mad:

Well, the last we talked about it, Allen Cappelli said they were looking at it, so I'm going to write e-mails again to follow up. The S83 should be implemented and hey if they aren't going to create the S79SBS, then why can't they use the federal funds that they'd get and use it on the S53?? :mad:

Well, the last we talked about it, Allen Cappelli said they were looking at it, so I'm going to write e-mails again to follow up. The S83 should be implemented and hey if they aren't going to create the S79SBS, then why can't they use the federal funds that they'd get and use it on the S53?? :mad:

I haven't heard from Cappelli for almost a month and a half, and he didn't seem to be too enthusiastic about it. He said he's fighting for more funding in general, but he said he's not going to focus too much on specific suggestions.

After the conversation, I forwarded him the details of both our proposals and he never got back.

As far as the S83 goes, there's no need for federal funds as it would be cost-neutral. The S93 on the other hand could use some sort of funding source.

I can't even picture how +SBS+ really costs that much money. You don't need new buses, and all you're really doing is installing the machines and maintaining them. You might have more frequent service, but the costs remain the same because of the reduced running time.

I haven't heard from Cappelli for almost a month and a half, and he didn't seem to be too enthusiastic about it. He said he's fighting for more funding in general, but he said he's not going to focus too much on specific suggestions.

After the conversation, I forwarded him the details of both our proposals and he never got back.

As far as the S83 goes, there's no need for federal funds as it would be cost-neutral. The S93 on the other hand could use some sort of funding source.

I can't even picture how +SBS+ really costs that much money. You don't need new buses, and all you're really doing is installing the machines and maintaining them. You might have more frequent service, but the costs remain the same because of the reduced running time.

Yeah well then there's no need for it for the S79 either. The idea is that with the federal funds though the (MTA) would get some new buses out of the deal and some roads could be repaved like they did with the M15SBS.

Yeah well then there's no need for it for the S79 either. The idea is that with the federal funds though the (MTA) would get some new buses out of the deal and some roads could be repaved like they did with the M15SBS.

It isn't needed like in some other areas, but it would definitely boost ridership and improve travel times (both through faster service and better frequencies). I think it would be worth the money to make it an +SBS+ route.

It isn't needed like in some other areas, but it would definitely boost ridership and improve travel times (both through faster service and better frequencies). I think it would be worth the money to make it an +SBS+ route.

Archived