An idea: Should the "S93' serve the Brooklyn VA Medical center when it runs?

Shortline Bus

Yeah yeah yeah... The BM4 should still stay, especially if you're going to push for a route extension based on such low ridership... What is 8 people going to do on a local bus line? That's borderline to carrying "air" to use qj's phrase. If the service is so needed, then where are all of the other folks at? Also, what are these folks that so need the service currently doing? As for Richmond Avenue, that isn't an abundance of service per se, as it is not scheduling buses accordingly. You can have one crushloaded bus and then a relatively empty one follow behind it. Hell if you're going to advocate for the extension of the S93 carrying 8 people then, I see no reason why the S54 service shouldn't have been kept, along with the S60 and the S66 weekend service. :mad:

Oh and if this is supposed to be about the majority as you like to point out :), then you are clearly making excuses to suit your own needs, because 8 people does NOT meet the needs of the majority, especially if that means cutting back on S92s or other buses in the process. :tdown:

Those 8 people are paying their own costs for being served, whereas BM4 riders aren't. I said 8 people is all it needs to break even. Think about how short the extension would be and how it would cost relatively little.

As far as what those people are doing

* The schoolkids are packing onto S48/S98 buses and going to Richmond Avenue. It would be a faster way for them to reach Richmond Avenue rather than sitting with all of the traffic, lights and crowding on Forest Avenue.

* People going to Brooklyn are packing on S48/S98 buses all the way to Broadway and then transferring to the S53.

* They're making inconvenient transfers (I know a guy in Arlington who has to take the S48 to the Richmond Avenue routes and then walk all the way from Richmond Avenue to CSI).

* They're walking (in which case the MTA doesn't get their money)

* They're taking car service which is more expensive for them, but the MTA still isn't getting their money.

As far as Richmond Avenue goes, I'm still saying there's too much service, even taking bunching into account.

As far as the S54 and S60 go, let's put this into perspective: The S54 made about 34 trips in each direction (68 total) on each day and carried 1,100 riders total. Do the math and that's a little over 8 riders per bus for the whole trip from Eltingville to West Brighton. Here, we're talking about 8 riders from CSI to Arlington. There's a huge difference.

The S60 carried 90 people for the whole weekend. For a similar distance, it had 32 trips for the whole weekend, which is 3 people per bus.

Also, think about it this way: Buses tend to empty out at the end of the route. South of the SIE, the S46 rarely has more than 10 riders, which isn't much worse than the S93. The same applies for most routes at their non-St. George end (Hell, even the S93 right now barely has 8 riders on-board in the Willowbrook area)

Plus, I'm saying that it's all that's needed to break even. If it gets more than 8 riders per bus, they're making money.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those 8 people are paying their own costs for being served, whereas BM4 riders aren't. I said 8 people is all it needs to break even. Think about how short the extension would be and how it would cost relatively little.

* The schoolkids are packing onto S48/S98 buses and going to Richmond Avenue. It would be a faster way for them to reach Richmond Avenue rather than sitting with all of the traffic, lights and crowding on Forest Avenue.

* People going to Brooklyn are packing on S48/S98 buses all the way to Broadway and then transferring to the S53.

* They're making inconvenient transfers (I know a guy in Arlington who has to take the S48 to the Richmond Avenue routes and then walk all the way from Richmond Avenue to CSI).

* They're taking car service which is more expensive for them, but the MTA still isn't getting their money.

As far as Richmond Avenue goes, I'm still saying there's too much service, even taking bunching into account.

As far as the S54 and S60 go, let's put this into perspective: The S54 made about 34 trips in each direction (68 total) on each day and carried 1,100 riders total. Do the math and that's a little over 8 riders per bus for the whole trip from Eltingville to West Brighton. Here, we're talking about 8 riders from CSI to Arlington. There's a huge difference.

The S60 carried 90 people for the whole weekend. For a similar distance, it had 32 trips for the whole weekend, which is 3 people per bus.

Also, think about it this way: Buses tend to empty out at the end of the route. South of the SIE, the S46 rarely has more than 10 riders, which isn't much worse than the S93. The same applies for most routes at their non-St. George end (Hell, even the S93 right now barely has 8 riders on-board in the Willowbrook area)

Plus, I'm saying that it's all that's needed to break even. If it gets more than 8 riders per bus, they're making money.

Yeah well it is "short to you" but it is a long extension to the (MTA) and they also pointed out that they feel very strongly that cutting other routes like the S92 back would do more harm than good and I agree. The S92 serves ALL of Victory Blvd, unlike the S93, which only serves a portion of it and I would not support any cuts to any other routes just to extend the S93 to an unknown market, with little to no evidence to support such an extension. :tdown:

Oh and Richmond Avenue to CSI isn't that far of a walk, plus there is bus service along that part of Victory Blvd anyway. It's amazing how you can support an extension along Victory Blvd and deny other communities of any weekend service with elderly folks and difficult terrain (i.e. steep hills, etc.) and such and try to sell this extension idea as if so many people need it. I'm not buying it. This is one of the most selfish proposals I've seen, which will help very few people aside from yourself and maybe a few others.

Oh and that's interesting... Now suddenly there is such a turnover at Forest & Bway, but before when I brought that up you completely denied it despite me and SIR North insisting that turnover was at the stop. Talk about playing both sides of the fence... :)

Yeah well it is "short to you" but it is a long extension to the (MTA) and they also pointed out that they feel very strongly that cutting other routes like the S92 back would do more harm than good and I agree. The S92 serves ALL of Victory Blvd, unlike the S93, which only serves a portion of it and I would not support any cuts to any other routes just to extend the S93 to an unknown market, with little to no evidence to support such an extension. :tdown:

Oh and Richmond Avenue to CSI isn't that far of a walk, plus there is bus service along that part of Victory Blvd anyway. It's amazing how you can support an extension along Victory Blvd and deny other communities of any weekend service with elderly folks and difficult terrain (i.e. steep hills, etc.) and such and try to sell this extension idea as if so many people need it. I'm not buying it. This is one of the most selfish proposals I've seen, which will help very few people aside from yourself and maybe a few others.

Oh and that's interesting... Now suddenly there is such a turnover at Forest & Bway, but before when I brought that up you completely denied it despite me and SIR North insisting that turnover was at the stop. Talk about playing both sides of the fence... :)

Oh and that's interesting... Now suddenly there is such a turnover at Forest & Bway, but before when I brought that up you completely denied it despite me and SIR North insisting that turnover was at the stop. Talk about playing both sides of the fence... :(

Hold on. Where did I mention cutting back the S92? I said the money would come from additional ridership. You're putting words in my mouth like they are.

And like I said before, I did bring evidence to the table. They just don't want to accept it. All they need are 8 paying customers attracted to the system and they'll break even. Considering the fact that it serves a school, some shopping, 2 low-income housing complexes (with only one being technically a "project". :) ), and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, I don't think that's hard to get. And if they don't get it, there are plenty of bus routes with far worse ridership that are in no danger of being touched (*cough* the 30 minute headways on the S55/S56)

BrooklynBus gave the example of them not wanting to extend the B13 to the Gateway Mall because it was an "untested market". What do you know? They extended it and ridership shot up 80%. I wonder where that extra ridership came from.

And the S55 was an unknown market and for some reason they decided to extend it there. They knew there weren't going to be a ton of riders, but they did it for network coverage. Before that, those riders were in the same situation: They had to either walk to the S56 or S74 to get service.

And for every community that lost service, I came up with an idea that would give them back their service and make it cheaper for the MTA to run. For the S54, I suggested sending the northern half to St. George, cutting it back to Seaview Hospital, and having an S79A cover it. The S66 should run weekends (though maybe it should run once an hour. The same with the S54)

And what the hell are you talking about with that last comment? Again, putting words in my mouth. :mad: You're either not understanding or you don't want to understand (or admit you understand)

First of all, I never denied that there were a lot of people transferring from the S48/S98 to the S53. I've been there plenty of times and seen it myself.

Second of all, "turnover" means that there are a lot of people getting off and also a lot of people getting on at that stop. So if there were a lot of people making that transfer from the S48 to the S53, that wouldn't signify turnover by itself. The fact that a lot of people are also using it to get to/from the ferry (and 99% of them aren't coming from the S53) means that the stop has high turnover.

It was the S53 stop that I said doesn't have high turnover, as most people get on Brooklyn-bound and get off Port Richmond-bound. Admittedly, there are a few here and there going to/from Port Richmond, but there aren't many.

Oh and that's interesting... Now suddenly there is such a turnover at Forest & Bway, but before when I brought that up you completely denied it despite me and SIR North insisting that turnover was at the stop. Talk about playing both sides of the fence... :(

Hold on. Where did I mention cutting back the S92? I said the money would come from additional ridership. You're putting words in my mouth like they are.

And like I said before, I did bring evidence to the table. They just don't want to accept it. All they need are 8 paying customers attracted to the system and they'll break even. Considering the fact that it serves a school, some shopping, 2 low-income housing complexes (with only one being technically a "project". :) ), and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, I don't think that's hard to get. And if they don't get it, there are plenty of bus routes with far worse ridership that are in no danger of being touched (*cough* the 30 minute headways on the S55/S56)

BrooklynBus gave the example of them not wanting to extend the B13 to the Gateway Mall because it was an "untested market". What do you know? They extended it and ridership shot up 80%. I wonder where that extra ridership came from.

And the S55 was an unknown market and for some reason they decided to extend it there. They knew there weren't going to be a ton of riders, but they did it for network coverage. Before that, those riders were in the same situation: They had to either walk to the S56 or S74 to get service.

And for every community that lost service, I came up with an idea that would give them back their service and make it cheaper for the MTA to run. For the S54, I suggested sending the northern half to St. George, cutting it back to Seaview Hospital, and having an S79A cover it. The S66 should run weekends (though maybe it should run once an hour. The same with the S54)

And what the hell are you talking about with that last comment? Again, putting words in my mouth. :mad: You're either not understanding or you don't want to understand (or admit you understand)

First of all, I never denied that there were a lot of people transferring from the S48/S98 to the S53. I've been there plenty of times and seen it myself.

Second of all, "turnover" means that there are a lot of people getting off and also a lot of people getting on at that stop. So if there were a lot of people making that transfer from the S48 to the S53, that wouldn't signify turnover by itself. The fact that a lot of people are also using it to get to/from the ferry (and 99% of them aren't coming from the S53) means that the stop has high turnover.

It was the S53 stop that I said doesn't have high turnover, as most people get on Brooklyn-bound and get off Port Richmond-bound. Admittedly, there are a few here and there going to/from Port Richmond, but there aren't many.

You sure as heck did say that you would have service reduced on other lines, and you have stated several times that you would have service reduced on other lines along Victory Blvd to help pay for this S93 extension. Maybe it wasn't the S92 and perhaps it was the S62, but as I said before, I don't support any service reductions. Our local bus service suffers enough as it is. Sure the (MTA) mixed up which lines you asked for reductions on, but you did indeed suggest that service be reduced to cover the S93 extension.

And like I said before, I did bring evidence to the table. They just don't want to accept it. All they need are 8 paying customers attracted to the system and they'll break even. Considering the fact that it serves a school, some shopping, 2 low-income housing complexes (with only one being technically a "project". :P ), and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, I don't think that's hard to get. And if they don't get it, there are plenty of bus routes with far worse ridership that are in no danger of being touched (*cough* the 30 minute headways on the S55/S56)

Yeah well, I think it's perfectly understandable the decision that they made. They have slashed several local bus lines on Staten Island, especially North-South service, but yet we're supposed to beef up East-West service with little to no North-South service? I mean what sense does that make? No S54 service, no S66 service and even the S57 is in danger of being cut at least on the weekends, and you also have no S76 weekend service. I'm sorry but before we go making extensions, we need to restore at least some of the service that was lost first. I also do not support hourly service. The headway would have to remain at every 30 minutes. If anything run the service for fewer hours. Buses go MIA and are late way too often on Staten Island to suggest hourly service and you know that.

Well how about you push for service restorations and then push for this S93 extension? Besides, to be honest, there are other expenditures that come into play when you take on an extension that I doubt that you've investigated. You're very confident that these 8 passengers will be enough to pay for the costs of the driver, fuel, implementation of new bus stops (done by the DOT) and perhaps shelters (which the (MTA) subcontracts out). If you're so confident about it, then why not get community input?

I know what turnover is and I think it's rather arrogant of you to tell me about my own neighborhood when I live there and you just pass through. Me and SIR North travel at all times of the day and night and I have lived in West Brighton off and on for over ten years, aside from my time living in Europe and near Canada and such. If I don't know about turnover at the stop (and I don't mean transfers from the S48 either), then I'll never know. The S53 gets enough riders at the stop in both directions that it doesn't need the S48 anyway. Tell me about the stop at Delafield before Forest Avenue that gets a lot of riders? Are they transferring from the S48 too? I highly doubt it and yes there are more folks getting on at Delafield Avenue going towards Brooklyn, but you do have folks that get on in the opposite direction as well of course in lower numbers, but still. You clearly underestimate the number of riders using the S53 in West Brighton that live in West Brighton around Forest Avenue and below and above it.

You sure as heck did say that you would have service reduced on other lines, and you have stated several times that you would have service reduced on other lines along Victory Blvd to help pay for this S93 extension. Maybe it wasn't the S92 and perhaps it was the S62, but as I said before, I don't support any service reductions. Our local bus service suffers enough as it is. Sure the (MTA) mixed up which lines you asked for reductions on, but you did indeed suggest that service be reduced to cover the S93 extension.

And like I said before, I did bring evidence to the table. They just don't want to accept it. All they need are 8 paying customers attracted to the system and they'll break even. Considering the fact that it serves a school, some shopping, 2 low-income housing complexes (with only one being technically a "project". :P ), and a bunch of residential neighborhoods, I don't think that's hard to get. And if they don't get it, there are plenty of bus routes with far worse ridership that are in no danger of being touched (*cough* the 30 minute headways on the S55/S56)

Yeah well, I think it's perfectly understandable the decision that they made. They have slashed several local bus lines on Staten Island, especially North-South service, but yet we're supposed to beef up East-West service with little to no North-South service? I mean what sense does that make? No S54 service, no S66 service and even the S57 is in danger of being cut at least on the weekends, and you also have no S76 weekend service. I'm sorry but before we go making extensions, we need to restore at least some of the service that was lost first. I also do not support hourly service. The headway would have to remain at every 30 minutes. If anything run the service for fewer hours. Buses go MIA and are late way too often on Staten Island to suggest hourly service and you know that.

Well how about you push for service restorations and then push for this S93 extension? Besides, to be honest, there are other expenditures that come into play when you take on an extension that I doubt that you've investigated. You're very confident that these 8 passengers will be enough to pay for the costs of the driver, fuel, implementation of new bus stops (done by the DOT) and perhaps shelters (which the (MTA) subcontracts out). If you're so confident about it, then why not get community input?

I know what turnover is and I think it's rather arrogant of you to tell me about my own neighborhood when I live there and you just pass through. Me and SIR North travel at all times of the day and night and I have lived in West Brighton off and on for over ten years, aside from my time living in Europe and near Canada and such. If I don't know about turnover at the stop (and I don't mean transfers from the S48 either), then I'll never know. The S53 gets enough riders at the stop in both directions that it doesn't need the S48 anyway. Tell me about the stop at Delafield before Forest Avenue that gets a lot of riders? Are they transferring from the S48 too? I highly doubt it and yes there are more folks getting on at Delafield Avenue going towards Brooklyn, but you do have folks that get on in the opposite direction as well of course in lower numbers, but still. You clearly underestimate the number of riders using the S53 in West Brighton that live in West Brighton around Forest Avenue and below and above it.

1) You sure as heck did say that you would have service reduced on other lines, and you have stated several times that you would have service reduced on other lines along Victory Blvd to help pay for this S93 extension. Maybe it wasn't the S92 and perhaps it was the S62, but as I said before, I don't support any service reductions. Our local bus service suffers enough as it is. Sure the (MTA) mixed up which lines you asked for reductions on, but you did indeed suggest that service be reduced to cover the S93 extension.

2) Yeah well, I think it's perfectly understandable the decision that they made. They have slashed several local bus lines on Staten Island, especially North-South service, but yet we're supposed to beef up East-West service with little to no North-South service? I mean what sense does that make? No S54 service, no S66 service and even the S57 is in danger of being cut at least on the weekends, and you also have no S76 weekend service. I'm sorry but before we go making extensions, we need to restore at least some of the service that was lost first. I also do not support hourly service. The headway would have to remain at every 30 minutes. If anything run the service for fewer hours. Buses go MIA and are late way too often on Staten Island to suggest hourly service and you know that.

3) Well how about you push for service restorations and then push for this S93 extension? Besides, to be honest, there are other expenditures that come into play when you take on an extension that I doubt that you've investigated. You're very confident that these 8 passengers will be enough to pay for the costs of the driver, fuel, implementation of new bus stops (done by the DOT) and perhaps shelters (which the (MTA) subcontracts out). If you're so confident about it, then why not get community input?

4) I know what turnover is and I think it's rather arrogant of you to tell me about my own neighborhood when I live there and you just pass through. Me and SIR North travel at all times of the day and night and I have lived in West Brighton off and on for over ten years, aside from my time living in Europe and near Canada and such. If I don't know about turnover at the stop (and I don't mean transfers from the S48 either), then I'll never know. The S53 gets enough riders at the stop in both directions that it doesn't need the S48 anyway. Tell me about the stop at Delafield before Forest Avenue that gets a lot of riders? Are they transferring from the S48 too? I highly doubt it and yes there are more folks getting on at Delafield Avenue going towards Brooklyn, but you do have folks that get on in the opposite direction as well of course in lower numbers, but still. You clearly underestimate the number of riders using the S53 in West Brighton that live in West Brighton around Forest Avenue and below and above it.

1) In that letter, they specifically referred to reductions on the S53 and S93. Not the S62, not the S92, and not any other route.

I said midday S62 service should be reduced if midday S93 service were to be provided. You're not going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Victory Blvd warrants the same level of service as Forest Avenue and Castleton Avenue, especially with the S61 there as well.

But now that you mentioned it, I think midday service on the S62 should be reduced to 15 minute service, in exchange for the S93 extension. But I know if I suggest it, they'll BS me with ridership counts.

Think about it this way: The CSI shuttle took 10% of the ridership from the S62, but they haven't adjusted the service levels to account for that.

2) Considering the S93 extension would be cheaper than those routes, yes.

And the only reason I'm not sending in the S54 proposal yet is because it's not in my neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about it, send the proposal to them. I can fight for my S93 extension, you can fight to get the S54 split into more efficient routes, and we can both fight for the S83. How does that sound? :P

And I guess they could run a shorter span instead of 60 minute headways.

3) See the post above.

Also, the costs were made based on their existing service levels. So fuel, wages and maintainance are accounted for. The only things that aren't accounted for are the start-up costs, which are small and like you said, are covered by outside agencies.

Like I said, I wouldn't know how to go about getting community input. The community boards are basically worthless and I don't know any other way.

4) It's irrelevant to the discussion of the S93 and I thought we were done with that discussion a while back.

1) You sure as heck did say that you would have service reduced on other lines, and you have stated several times that you would have service reduced on other lines along Victory Blvd to help pay for this S93 extension. Maybe it wasn't the S92 and perhaps it was the S62, but as I said before, I don't support any service reductions. Our local bus service suffers enough as it is. Sure the (MTA) mixed up which lines you asked for reductions on, but you did indeed suggest that service be reduced to cover the S93 extension.

2) Yeah well, I think it's perfectly understandable the decision that they made. They have slashed several local bus lines on Staten Island, especially North-South service, but yet we're supposed to beef up East-West service with little to no North-South service? I mean what sense does that make? No S54 service, no S66 service and even the S57 is in danger of being cut at least on the weekends, and you also have no S76 weekend service. I'm sorry but before we go making extensions, we need to restore at least some of the service that was lost first. I also do not support hourly service. The headway would have to remain at every 30 minutes. If anything run the service for fewer hours. Buses go MIA and are late way too often on Staten Island to suggest hourly service and you know that.

3) Well how about you push for service restorations and then push for this S93 extension? Besides, to be honest, there are other expenditures that come into play when you take on an extension that I doubt that you've investigated. You're very confident that these 8 passengers will be enough to pay for the costs of the driver, fuel, implementation of new bus stops (done by the DOT) and perhaps shelters (which the (MTA) subcontracts out). If you're so confident about it, then why not get community input?

4) I know what turnover is and I think it's rather arrogant of you to tell me about my own neighborhood when I live there and you just pass through. Me and SIR North travel at all times of the day and night and I have lived in West Brighton off and on for over ten years, aside from my time living in Europe and near Canada and such. If I don't know about turnover at the stop (and I don't mean transfers from the S48 either), then I'll never know. The S53 gets enough riders at the stop in both directions that it doesn't need the S48 anyway. Tell me about the stop at Delafield before Forest Avenue that gets a lot of riders? Are they transferring from the S48 too? I highly doubt it and yes there are more folks getting on at Delafield Avenue going towards Brooklyn, but you do have folks that get on in the opposite direction as well of course in lower numbers, but still. You clearly underestimate the number of riders using the S53 in West Brighton that live in West Brighton around Forest Avenue and below and above it.

1) In that letter, they specifically referred to reductions on the S53 and S93. Not the S62, not the S92, and not any other route.

I said midday S62 service should be reduced if midday S93 service were to be provided. You're not going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Victory Blvd warrants the same level of service as Forest Avenue and Castleton Avenue, especially with the S61 there as well.

But now that you mentioned it, I think midday service on the S62 should be reduced to 15 minute service, in exchange for the S93 extension. But I know if I suggest it, they'll BS me with ridership counts.

Think about it this way: The CSI shuttle took 10% of the ridership from the S62, but they haven't adjusted the service levels to account for that.

And the only reason I'm not sending in the S54 proposal yet is because it's not in my neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about it, send the proposal to them. I can fight for my S93 extension, you can fight to get the S54 split into more efficient routes, and we can both fight for the S83. How does that sound? :P

3) See the post above.

Also, the costs were made based on their existing service levels. So fuel, wages and maintainance are accounted for. The only things that aren't accounted for are the start-up costs, which are small and like you said, are covered by outside agencies.

Like I said, I wouldn't know how to go about getting community input. The community boards are basically worthless and I don't know any other way.

4) It's irrelevant to the discussion of the S93 and I thought we were done with that discussion a while back.

Oh just stop it. :P The S62 is there for network coverage. Once you get past Richmond Avenue, the S62 is the main show in town so I wouldn't reduce service on that line at all. They don't even have the X11 that long, so let them keep their S62 service there in Travis.

And the only reason I'm not sending in the S54 proposal yet is because it's not in my neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about it, send the proposal to them. I can fight for my S93 extension, you can fight to get the S54 split into more efficient routes, and we can both fight for the S83. How does that sound? ;)

The only problem is I don't really use the local buses anymore on the island. I would be more concerned with express bus service, but yeah okay, why not. You've got a partner in crime until I move to Riverdale. :cool:

3) See the post above.

Well for that you need to write to your representatives, which would be James Oddo no?? :( LOL I could see him now... "GET OUTTA MY F-ING OFFICE!!" LMAO I assume you say the Youtube video of him cursing out some guy that came to play a prank on him? Oh man was that hilarious.... LOL

No it isn't, not if you're trying to sell your S93 extension it isn't irrelevant.

Oh just stop it. :P The S62 is there for network coverage. Once you get past Richmond Avenue, the S62 is the main show in town so I wouldn't reduce service on that line at all. They don't even have the X11 that long, so let them keep their S62 service there in Travis.

And the only reason I'm not sending in the S54 proposal yet is because it's not in my neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about it, send the proposal to them. I can fight for my S93 extension, you can fight to get the S54 split into more efficient routes, and we can both fight for the S83. How does that sound? ;)

The only problem is I don't really use the local buses anymore on the island. I would be more concerned with express bus service, but yeah okay, why not. You've got a partner in crime until I move to Riverdale. :cool:

3) See the post above.

Well for that you need to write to your representatives, which would be James Oddo no?? :( LOL I could see him now... "GET OUTTA MY F-ING OFFICE!!" LMAO I assume you say the Youtube video of him cursing out some guy that came to play a prank on him? Oh man was that hilarious.... LOL

No it isn't, not if you're trying to sell your S93 extension it isn't irrelevant.

1) Oh just stop it. :P The S62 is there for network coverage. Once you get past Richmond Avenue, the S62 is the main show in town so I wouldn't reduce service on that line at all. They don't even have the X11 that long, so let them keep their S62 service there in Travis.

2) The only problem is I don't really use the local buses anymore on the island. I would be more concerned with express bus service, but yeah okay, why not. You've got a partner in crime until I move to Riverdale. :cool:

3) Well for that you need to write to your representatives, which would be James Oddo no?? ;) LOL I could see him now... "GET OUTTA MY F-ING OFFICE!!" LMAO I assume you say the Youtube video of him cursing out some guy that came to play a prank on him? Oh man was that hilarious.... LOL

4) No it isn't, not if you're trying to sell your S93 extension it isn't irrelevant.

1) Which proves my point. ;) A "network coverage" route should run on "network coverage" headways.

Seriously, I wouldn't even think of eliminating all service in that area. Just a slight headway reduction (in one direction, mind you) would be all that's needed to help cover the costs.

2) Well, you did use the weekend S54 when it was around, didn't you? ;) I mean, it would get cut back to Seaview Hospital (and Giffords Lane would get the S79A), but it would give you a nice, quiet, fast alternative to the S53 (and hopefully S83. ;) ) to reach the express bus.

The only difference is that instead of being the only one on the bus, you'll have a few more riders keeping you company. ;) You get your service back, the MTA gets some more revenue (more than it did before, anyway), and everybody's happy.

Plus, serving the ferry, it would be an easier route to monitor, and you wouldn't have buses showing up early or going MIA.

3) Well, I did contact Cusick, and they did get back to me at least acknowledging that they received the proposal. Hopefully, I'll have the time to follow up and make sure they're doing something that will hopefully get it implemented.

4) The amount of riders going from West Brighton to Port Richmond on the S53 is irrelevant. The only thing that's relevant are the number of people transferring from the S48/S98 to the S53.

1) Oh just stop it. :P The S62 is there for network coverage. Once you get past Richmond Avenue, the S62 is the main show in town so I wouldn't reduce service on that line at all. They don't even have the X11 that long, so let them keep their S62 service there in Travis.

2) The only problem is I don't really use the local buses anymore on the island. I would be more concerned with express bus service, but yeah okay, why not. You've got a partner in crime until I move to Riverdale. :cool:

3) Well for that you need to write to your representatives, which would be James Oddo no?? ;) LOL I could see him now... "GET OUTTA MY F-ING OFFICE!!" LMAO I assume you say the Youtube video of him cursing out some guy that came to play a prank on him? Oh man was that hilarious.... LOL

4) No it isn't, not if you're trying to sell your S93 extension it isn't irrelevant.

1) Which proves my point. ;) A "network coverage" route should run on "network coverage" headways.

Seriously, I wouldn't even think of eliminating all service in that area. Just a slight headway reduction (in one direction, mind you) would be all that's needed to help cover the costs.

2) Well, you did use the weekend S54 when it was around, didn't you? ;) I mean, it would get cut back to Seaview Hospital (and Giffords Lane would get the S79A), but it would give you a nice, quiet, fast alternative to the S53 (and hopefully S83. ;) ) to reach the express bus.

The only difference is that instead of being the only one on the bus, you'll have a few more riders keeping you company. ;) You get your service back, the MTA gets some more revenue (more than it did before, anyway), and everybody's happy.

Plus, serving the ferry, it would be an easier route to monitor, and you wouldn't have buses showing up early or going MIA.

3) Well, I did contact Cusick, and they did get back to me at least acknowledging that they received the proposal. Hopefully, I'll have the time to follow up and make sure they're doing something that will hopefully get it implemented.

4) The amount of riders going from West Brighton to Port Richmond on the S53 is irrelevant. The only thing that's relevant are the number of people transferring from the S48/S98 to the S53.

1) Which proves my point. :P A "network coverage" route should run on "network coverage" headways.

Very clever, but no... It's not like the S62 runs that frequently to begin with.

True, but I don't even bother with the S54 during the week anymore. The wait from the X12 can be a good 20 minutes or more if the X12 gets to Victory and Manor early and there is no guarantee that the S54 will come as scheduled or even come at all. Aside from that to kill the time off, I usually go to MET supermarket and just BS in there and wind up spending money on things that I really don't need but get anyway just because I don't to wait there for 20 minutes. In other words I'll buy cereal or something that is probably more expensive than Shop Rite, so instead of taking that $10.00 and spending it there I just hop in a cab. Last night I got home in less than an hour from Midtown. The X12 moved very quickly and SAFELY unlike that X10 on Sunday nights (you know who you are :mad:) and I had car service there waiting for when I got off, so I got in and he made a U-turn and just took Slosson down to Clove and then dropped me in front of my door over by Elizabeth. :cool: Using the S54 is quick, but the wait means that I don't get home until 09:30 at the earliest once I walk from the S54 up Forest and there is nothing worse than having to walk up hill when you've been working all day. ;)

Perhaps, but I'm not even sure how well the buses going to the ferry are being monitored.

To be continued...

Yeah it is relevant because you don't know how many of those folks would really benefit from an extended S93.

1) Which proves my point. :P A "network coverage" route should run on "network coverage" headways.

Very clever, but no... It's not like the S62 runs that frequently to begin with.

True, but I don't even bother with the S54 during the week anymore. The wait from the X12 can be a good 20 minutes or more if the X12 gets to Victory and Manor early and there is no guarantee that the S54 will come as scheduled or even come at all. Aside from that to kill the time off, I usually go to MET supermarket and just BS in there and wind up spending money on things that I really don't need but get anyway just because I don't to wait there for 20 minutes. In other words I'll buy cereal or something that is probably more expensive than Shop Rite, so instead of taking that $10.00 and spending it there I just hop in a cab. Last night I got home in less than an hour from Midtown. The X12 moved very quickly and SAFELY unlike that X10 on Sunday nights (you know who you are :mad:) and I had car service there waiting for when I got off, so I got in and he made a U-turn and just took Slosson down to Clove and then dropped me in front of my door over by Elizabeth. :cool: Using the S54 is quick, but the wait means that I don't get home until 09:30 at the earliest once I walk from the S54 up Forest and there is nothing worse than having to walk up hill when you've been working all day. ;)

Perhaps, but I'm not even sure how well the buses going to the ferry are being monitored.

To be continued...

Yeah it is relevant because you don't know how many of those folks would really benefit from an extended S93.

1) Very clever, but no... It's not like the S62 runs that frequently to begin with.

2) True, but I don't even bother with the S54 during the week anymore. The wait from the X12 can be a good 20 minutes or more if the X12 gets to Victory and Manor early and there is no guarantee that the S54 will come as scheduled or even come at all. Aside from that to kill the time off, I usually go to MET supermarket and just BS in there and wind up spending money on things that I really don't need but get anyway just because I don't to wait there for 20 minutes. In other words I'll buy cereal or something that is probably more expensive than Shop Rite, so instead of taking that $10.00 and spending it there I just hop in a cab. Last night I got home in less than an hour from Midtown. The X12 moved very quickly and SAFELY unlike that X10 on Sunday nights (you know who you are :mad:) and I had car service there waiting for when I got off, so I got in and he made a U-turn and just took Slosson down to Clove and then dropped me in front of my door over by Elizabeth. :cool:

3) Perhaps, but I'm not even sure how well the buses going to the ferry are being monitored.

4) To be continued...

5) Yeah it is relevant because you don't know how many of those folks would really benefit from an extended S93.

1) It runs every 12 minutes. You're telling me that Victory Blvd should get the same level of service as Forest Avenue (even if it's only one direction)? All I'm saying is to cut it back to 15 minutes, which is still a reasonable headway (and it's the same headway it has in the opposite direction anyway)

If it were a true "coverage" route, it would be running at 30 minute headways like the S54/S55/S56 (and S57 to a lesser extent)

2) If it were extended to St. George, it would have to meet the ferry, which means it would run every 15-20 minutes at that time, rather than every 30 like it does now (then again, since it's reverse-peak, they might make it run like the S66 does: 15 minute headways peak and 30 minutes reverse-peak).

In any case, why didn't you just go to ShopRite? It would save you a trip later in the week.

3) True. But at least during rush hour, I've seen some dispatchers waiting at the ramp.

4) Yup. She hasn't seen the last of me. :P

5) True, but I'm still convinced that there would be riders who would benefit from it. I mean, if you live in Arlington and you're trying to get to Arrochar, it's a much faster trip via the S93 than via the S48 and S53. Plus, like I said, you only need 8 riders per bus to cover the cost. Between the S53->S48 transfers and the S53->S92 transfers, I think that's obtainable.

I mean, 8 riders is nowhere near a full bus, but as a comparison, most of the Port Richmond buses empty out at Castleton Avenue, with only 2-3 riders north of there. However, it doesn't cost a whole lot just to run a few extra blocks. It's the same situation here.

1) Very clever, but no... It's not like the S62 runs that frequently to begin with.

2) True, but I don't even bother with the S54 during the week anymore. The wait from the X12 can be a good 20 minutes or more if the X12 gets to Victory and Manor early and there is no guarantee that the S54 will come as scheduled or even come at all. Aside from that to kill the time off, I usually go to MET supermarket and just BS in there and wind up spending money on things that I really don't need but get anyway just because I don't to wait there for 20 minutes. In other words I'll buy cereal or something that is probably more expensive than Shop Rite, so instead of taking that $10.00 and spending it there I just hop in a cab. Last night I got home in less than an hour from Midtown. The X12 moved very quickly and SAFELY unlike that X10 on Sunday nights (you know who you are :mad:) and I had car service there waiting for when I got off, so I got in and he made a U-turn and just took Slosson down to Clove and then dropped me in front of my door over by Elizabeth. :cool:

3) Perhaps, but I'm not even sure how well the buses going to the ferry are being monitored.

4) To be continued...

5) Yeah it is relevant because you don't know how many of those folks would really benefit from an extended S93.

1) It runs every 12 minutes. You're telling me that Victory Blvd should get the same level of service as Forest Avenue (even if it's only one direction)? All I'm saying is to cut it back to 15 minutes, which is still a reasonable headway (and it's the same headway it has in the opposite direction anyway)

If it were a true "coverage" route, it would be running at 30 minute headways like the S54/S55/S56 (and S57 to a lesser extent)

2) If it were extended to St. George, it would have to meet the ferry, which means it would run every 15-20 minutes at that time, rather than every 30 like it does now (then again, since it's reverse-peak, they might make it run like the S66 does: 15 minute headways peak and 30 minutes reverse-peak).

In any case, why didn't you just go to ShopRite? It would save you a trip later in the week.

3) True. But at least during rush hour, I've seen some dispatchers waiting at the ramp.

5) True, but I'm still convinced that there would be riders who would benefit from it. I mean, if you live in Arlington and you're trying to get to Arrochar, it's a much faster trip via the S93 than via the S48 and S53. Plus, like I said, you only need 8 riders per bus to cover the cost. Between the S53->S48 transfers and the S53->S92 transfers, I think that's obtainable.

I mean, 8 riders is nowhere near a full bus, but as a comparison, most of the Port Richmond buses empty out at Castleton Avenue, with only 2-3 riders north of there. However, it doesn't cost a whole lot just to run a few extra blocks. It's the same situation here.

Victory Blvd has tons of condos and apartment buildings and such over by Silver Lake Park, so certainly headways of 12 minutes are needed. Also despite you claiming that the S62 lost ridership to the shuttle bus, those buses still are well used by CSI students as well.

Hey, you don't have to sell me on that. I'm all in favor of the S54 being extended to St. George.

LOL.... I was there Saturday to pick up munchies for the hockey games AND went back Sunday night around 23:30 when that maniac on the X10 dropped me off because I forgot to get a few things. That's when I saw the nice discount on the 18 pack of "Made in USA" batteries by RAVOC for $2.99. :cool: There was one more pack left of the AAA batteries. It was so funny because I kept looking at the package like is this real or are these batteries knock offs? LOL I kept checking to see that they were "Made in USA" and that they hadn't been tampered with because I couldn't understand why they were so cheap in terms of the price. :eek:

Anywho, I had no need to stop there last night but I'll make my way over there in the next day or two. I need more Bounty, but they don't have that 15 pack sale at the moment, so i may just settle for the 8 rolls for $10.99. :cool:

She is going to wish that she could have her calls screened like I can. Yesterday I just refused to take a client's call because the guy has been driving me nuts. Friggin' 30 e-mails in one day from him and then he calls on top of that!! :mad::mad: I made up some story today when I called him about me being in and out of the office yesterday, but the truth was I wanted a break. I mean I have other projects to work on that need to be billed so that I can get paid my commission on those jobs which for the next few months is looking pretty good along with my base salary. :cool::cool:

Aka carrying air... *cough cough*... ;)

Victory Blvd has tons of condos and apartment buildings and such over by Silver Lake Park, so certainly headways of 12 minutes are needed. Also despite you claiming that the S62 lost ridership to the shuttle bus, those buses still are well used by CSI students as well.

Hey, you don't have to sell me on that. I'm all in favor of the S54 being extended to St. George.

LOL.... I was there Saturday to pick up munchies for the hockey games AND went back Sunday night around 23:30 when that maniac on the X10 dropped me off because I forgot to get a few things. That's when I saw the nice discount on the 18 pack of "Made in USA" batteries by RAVOC for $2.99. :cool: There was one more pack left of the AAA batteries. It was so funny because I kept looking at the package like is this real or are these batteries knock offs? LOL I kept checking to see that they were "Made in USA" and that they hadn't been tampered with because I couldn't understand why they were so cheap in terms of the price. :eek:

Anywho, I had no need to stop there last night but I'll make my way over there in the next day or two. I need more Bounty, but they don't have that 15 pack sale at the moment, so i may just settle for the 8 rolls for $10.99. :cool:

She is going to wish that she could have her calls screened like I can. Yesterday I just refused to take a client's call because the guy has been driving me nuts. Friggin' 30 e-mails in one day from him and then he calls on top of that!! :mad::mad: I made up some story today when I called him about me being in and out of the office yesterday, but the truth was I wanted a break. I mean I have other projects to work on that need to be billed so that I can get paid my commission on those jobs which for the next few months is looking pretty good along with my base salary. :cool::cool:

Aka carrying air... *cough cough*... ;)

1) Victory Blvd has tons of condos and apartment buildings and such over by Silver Lake Park, so certainly headways of 12 minutes are needed. Also despite you claiming that the S62 lost ridership to the shuttle bus, those buses still are well used by CSI students as well.

2) LOL.... I was there Saturday to pick up munchies for the hockey games AND went back Sunday night around 23:30 when that maniac on the X10 dropped me off because I forgot to get a few things. That's when I saw the nice discount on the 18 pack of "Made in USA" batteries by RAVOC for $2.99. :cool: There was one more pack left of the AAA batteries. It was so funny because I kept looking at the package like is this real or are these batteries knock offs? LOL I kept checking to see that they were "Made in USA" and that they hadn't been tampered with because I couldn't understand why they were so cheap in terms of the price. :eek:

3) She is going to wish that she could have her calls screened like I can. Yesterday I just refused to take a client's call because the guy has been driving me nuts. Friggin' 30 e-mails in one day from him and then he calls on top of that!! :mad::mad: I made up some story today when I called him about me being in and out of the office yesterday, but the truth was I wanted a break. I mean I have other projects to work on that need to be billed so that I can get paid my commission on those jobs which for the next few months is looking pretty good along with my base salary. :cool::cool:

4) Aka carrying air... *cough cough*... :P

1) And the last time I checked, you don't live near the S62 (*cough* unlike me). How do you know if 12 minute headways are warranted? And in case you forgot, it has the S61 and S66 helping it along that portion, so it could easily be trimmed down.

And yeah, you do see CSI students waiting at that loop, but most of them are waiting for the S93. Yeah, it still sees some CSI students, but they're definitely not crowding it like they used to. It's definitely not going to be crushloaded at 15 minute headways.

2) Ah ShopRite. A cheapskate's paradise. ;)

3) Well, I'm thinking about what my next move should be. I might try to get in contact with the politicians first and I might not even need to contact her afterwards. We'll see.

4) And making money from that air. ;)

1) Victory Blvd has tons of condos and apartment buildings and such over by Silver Lake Park, so certainly headways of 12 minutes are needed. Also despite you claiming that the S62 lost ridership to the shuttle bus, those buses still are well used by CSI students as well.

2) LOL.... I was there Saturday to pick up munchies for the hockey games AND went back Sunday night around 23:30 when that maniac on the X10 dropped me off because I forgot to get a few things. That's when I saw the nice discount on the 18 pack of "Made in USA" batteries by RAVOC for $2.99. :cool: There was one more pack left of the AAA batteries. It was so funny because I kept looking at the package like is this real or are these batteries knock offs? LOL I kept checking to see that they were "Made in USA" and that they hadn't been tampered with because I couldn't understand why they were so cheap in terms of the price. :eek:

3) She is going to wish that she could have her calls screened like I can. Yesterday I just refused to take a client's call because the guy has been driving me nuts. Friggin' 30 e-mails in one day from him and then he calls on top of that!! :mad::mad: I made up some story today when I called him about me being in and out of the office yesterday, but the truth was I wanted a break. I mean I have other projects to work on that need to be billed so that I can get paid my commission on those jobs which for the next few months is looking pretty good along with my base salary. :cool::cool:

4) Aka carrying air... *cough cough*... :P

1) And the last time I checked, you don't live near the S62 (*cough* unlike me). How do you know if 12 minute headways are warranted? And in case you forgot, it has the S61 and S66 helping it along that portion, so it could easily be trimmed down.

And yeah, you do see CSI students waiting at that loop, but most of them are waiting for the S93. Yeah, it still sees some CSI students, but they're definitely not crowding it like they used to. It's definitely not going to be crushloaded at 15 minute headways.

2) Ah ShopRite. A cheapskate's paradise. ;)

3) Well, I'm thinking about what my next move should be. I might try to get in contact with the politicians first and I might not even need to contact her afterwards. We'll see.

4) And making money from that air. ;)

This thread reminds me of an idea I had several years ago now for a bus route called the S77, which would cover/serve all of Amboy Rd. One of the 4 versions I came up with for this route went to/from the VA Hospital in Bay Ridge. The 77, regardless of version, had shuttle & limited "isotopes", called the (S87) LTD and (S97) SHTL.

Speaking of the (93), I'd say change it & reroute it to become a new & different "isotope" of the 53. There should be a new Bkln/CSI route called the B5, to replace the current (93), which should operate between Bay Ridge & CSI-Forest Hill Rd. The B5 would run on a 57, or maybe 54, type schedule. The B5 could end/start from the VA Hospital at the Bay Ridge end.

This thread reminds me of an idea I had several years ago now for a bus route called the S77, which would cover/serve all of Amboy Rd. One of the 4 versions I came up with for this route went to/from the VA Hospital in Bay Ridge. The 77, regardless of version, had shuttle & limited "isotopes", called the (S87) LTD and (S97) SHTL.

Speaking of the (93), I'd say change it & reroute it to become a new & different "isotope" of the 53. There should be a new Bkln/CSI route called the B5, to replace the current (93), which should operate between Bay Ridge & CSI-Forest Hill Rd. The B5 would run on a 57, or maybe 54, type schedule. The B5 could end/start from the VA Hospital at the Bay Ridge end.

4) Yup. She hasn't seen the last of me. B)

huh you realize S92/62 takes 30 mins to complete its run right from all the way buddy you can't touch that portion as it sets S62 apart from other routes

4) Yup. She hasn't seen the last of me. B)

huh you realize S92/62 takes 30 mins to complete its run right from all the way buddy you can't touch that portion as it sets S62 apart from other routes

Archived