An idea: Should the "S93' serve the Brooklyn VA Medical center when it runs?

Shortline Bus

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread reminds me of an idea I had several years ago now for a bus route called the S77, which would cover/serve all of Amboy Rd. One of the 4 versions I came up with for this route went to/from the VA Hospital in Bay Ridge. The 77, regardless of version, had shuttle & limited "isotopes", called the (S87) LTD and (S97) SHTL.

Speaking of the (93), I'd say change it & reroute it to become a new & different "isotope" of the 53. There should be a new Bkln/CSI route called the B5, to replace the current (93), which should operate between Bay Ridge & CSI-Forest Hill Rd. The B5 would run on a 57, or maybe 54, type schedule. The B5 could end/start from the VA Hospital at the Bay Ridge end.

nah just extend B2 via ave P/bay and belt parkway non stop to SI done and you save a route in the process. Also you will take several cars off the road that travel on belt between SI and brooklyn. Amboy rd will not support a bus rte due to the SIR which is free there goes that idea.

This thread reminds me of an idea I had several years ago now for a bus route called the S77, which would cover/serve all of Amboy Rd. One of the 4 versions I came up with for this route went to/from the VA Hospital in Bay Ridge. The 77, regardless of version, had shuttle & limited "isotopes", called the (S87) LTD and (S97) SHTL.

Speaking of the (93), I'd say change it & reroute it to become a new & different "isotope" of the 53. There should be a new Bkln/CSI route called the B5, to replace the current (93), which should operate between Bay Ridge & CSI-Forest Hill Rd. The B5 would run on a 57, or maybe 54, type schedule. The B5 could end/start from the VA Hospital at the Bay Ridge end.

nah just extend B2 via ave P/bay and belt parkway non stop to SI done and you save a route in the process. Also you will take several cars off the road that travel on belt between SI and brooklyn. Amboy rd will not support a bus rte due to the SIR which is free there goes that idea.

1) And the last time I checked, you don't live near the S62 (*cough* unlike me). How do you know if 12 minute headways are warranted? And in case you forgot, it has the S61 and S66 helping it along that portion, so it could easily be trimmed down.

I'm in your neighborhood far more often than you think. If the X30 and X14 are not an option, then Victory Blvd becomes the next closest option and I'm only a 5 minute ride by bus or car and I use the X12 a lot both to and from work. I have seen packed S62s as late as 21:30 going to the ferry and many them are CSI students. I'm not sure why they prefer the S62 over the shuttle, but there are still plenty of them using the S62. Aside from that you would think that the S61 and S66 would help out, but from my analysis, the S66 often runs rather empty. They seem to schedule the S66 after the big boys along Victory Blvd come (S62 and S61), which also doesn't help.

I have seen people look when they see the S66 and they will literally let it get by and quite frankly I would do the same thing if I was taking that to the ferry. I mean who in the hell wants to meander up to Grymes Hill when they're going to the ferry? That detour adds a good 10 - 15 minutes to the commute, so for what it's worth many of the S66s that I see along Victory are not all that well used. The S61 seems to have its own problems and the S62 is the most reliable out of the Victory Blvd routes, so I would not suggest cutting it back at all, especially later on at night. I have seen S61s that were scheduled that never showed and then the S66 runs at weird times and doesn't help that many people depending on where they're going, so that's why the service levels on the S62 are needed.

And yeah, you do see CSI students waiting at that loop, but most of them are waiting for the S93. Yeah, it still sees some CSI students, but they're definitely not crowding it like they used to. It's definitely not going to be crushloaded at 15 minute headways.

That really depends on the time of the day. You're also underestimating the need for the S62 for the folks not coming from Brooklyn. You have to remember that there has already been service reductions on Victory Blvd with the loss of the S67, so they beefed up S62 service to deal with that and I think that was the right decision on their end. The S62 IS the main route of Victory Blvd and it serves all of Victory Blvd, so to suggest cutting it back is ridiculous. The S93 serves a different segment of folks.

2) Ah ShopRite. A cheapskate's paradise. B)

You would wouldn't you? ;)

3) Well, I'm thinking about what my next move should be. I might try to get in contact with the politicians first and I might not even need to contact her afterwards. We'll see.

LOL.... A politician fighting for local bus service on Staten Island. I haven't heard a peep from anyone since the S89 was created. All Molinaro says "I need more buses! Get me more buses!" The sad thing is none of these politicians have a clue about public transportation on Staten Island because they all just hop in their cars. I mean the only reason they care so much about the express bus is because many of us who vote for them make them make that their priority because they know that we're the ones who vote for them, and the express bus is especially serious business on the South Shore as shown with the X1 in particular.

4) And making money from that air. ;)

So you believe.... lol

dude If S83 were born then there goes your S93 idea dead on arrival

OH BOY.... :(

1) And the last time I checked, you don't live near the S62 (*cough* unlike me). How do you know if 12 minute headways are warranted? And in case you forgot, it has the S61 and S66 helping it along that portion, so it could easily be trimmed down.

I'm in your neighborhood far more often than you think. If the X30 and X14 are not an option, then Victory Blvd becomes the next closest option and I'm only a 5 minute ride by bus or car and I use the X12 a lot both to and from work. I have seen packed S62s as late as 21:30 going to the ferry and many them are CSI students. I'm not sure why they prefer the S62 over the shuttle, but there are still plenty of them using the S62. Aside from that you would think that the S61 and S66 would help out, but from my analysis, the S66 often runs rather empty. They seem to schedule the S66 after the big boys along Victory Blvd come (S62 and S61), which also doesn't help.

I have seen people look when they see the S66 and they will literally let it get by and quite frankly I would do the same thing if I was taking that to the ferry. I mean who in the hell wants to meander up to Grymes Hill when they're going to the ferry? That detour adds a good 10 - 15 minutes to the commute, so for what it's worth many of the S66s that I see along Victory are not all that well used. The S61 seems to have its own problems and the S62 is the most reliable out of the Victory Blvd routes, so I would not suggest cutting it back at all, especially later on at night. I have seen S61s that were scheduled that never showed and then the S66 runs at weird times and doesn't help that many people depending on where they're going, so that's why the service levels on the S62 are needed.

And yeah, you do see CSI students waiting at that loop, but most of them are waiting for the S93. Yeah, it still sees some CSI students, but they're definitely not crowding it like they used to. It's definitely not going to be crushloaded at 15 minute headways.

That really depends on the time of the day. You're also underestimating the need for the S62 for the folks not coming from Brooklyn. You have to remember that there has already been service reductions on Victory Blvd with the loss of the S67, so they beefed up S62 service to deal with that and I think that was the right decision on their end. The S62 IS the main route of Victory Blvd and it serves all of Victory Blvd, so to suggest cutting it back is ridiculous. The S93 serves a different segment of folks.

2) Ah ShopRite. A cheapskate's paradise. B)

You would wouldn't you? ;)

3) Well, I'm thinking about what my next move should be. I might try to get in contact with the politicians first and I might not even need to contact her afterwards. We'll see.

LOL.... A politician fighting for local bus service on Staten Island. I haven't heard a peep from anyone since the S89 was created. All Molinaro says "I need more buses! Get me more buses!" The sad thing is none of these politicians have a clue about public transportation on Staten Island because they all just hop in their cars. I mean the only reason they care so much about the express bus is because many of us who vote for them make them make that their priority because they know that we're the ones who vote for them, and the express bus is especially serious business on the South Shore as shown with the X1 in particular.

4) And making money from that air. ;)

So you believe.... lol

OH BOY.... :(

What about my S93 extension? (Which has become the new topic of this discussion)

And I think the S93 would be better off at its current CSI terminal, rather thsan switching it. At least there, it serves a residential area (Willowbrook). The Forest Hill Road side borders the Greenbelt and wouldn't serve as many riders.

huh you realize S92/62 takes 30 mins to complete its run right from all the way buddy you can't touch that portion as it sets S62 apart from other routes

No, it's closer to 40 minutes, except maybe at night.

In any case, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I fail to see what a limited-stop S83 does for people on the SIE service road (and people along South Avenue to a lesser extent).

1) I'm in your neighborhood far more often than you think. If the X30 and X14 are not an option, then Victory Blvd becomes the next closest option and I'm only a 5 minute ride by bus or car and I use the X12 a lot both to and from work. I have seen packed S62s as late as 21:30 going to the ferry and many them are CSI students. I'm not sure why they prefer the S62 over the shuttle, but there are still plenty of them using the S62. Aside from that you would think that the S61 and S66 would help out, but from my analysis, the S66 often runs rather empty. They seem to schedule the S66 after the big boys along Victory Blvd come (S62 and S61), which also doesn't help.

2) I have seen people look when they see the S66 and they will literally let it get by and quite frankly I would do the same thing if I was taking that to the ferry. I mean who in the hell wants to meander up to Grymes Hill when they're going to the ferry? That detour adds a good 10 - 15 minutes to the commute, so for what it's worth many of the S66s that I see along Victory are not all that well used. The S61 seems to have its own problems and the S62 is the most reliable out of the Victory Blvd routes, so I would not suggest cutting it back at all, especially later on at night. I have seen S61s that were scheduled that never showed and then the S66 runs at weird times and doesn't help that many people depending on where they're going, so that's why the service levels on the S62 are needed.

3) That really depends on the time of the day. You're also underestimating the need for the S62 for the folks not coming from Brooklyn. You have to remember that there has already been service reductions on Victory Blvd with the loss of the S67, so they beefed up S62 service to deal with that and I think that was the right decision on their end. The S62 IS the main route of Victory Blvd and it serves all of Victory Blvd, so to suggest cutting it back is ridiculous. The S93 serves a different segment of folks.

4) You would wouldn't you? B)

5) LOL.... A politician fighting for local bus service on Staten Island. I haven't heard a peep from anyone since the S89 was created. All Molinaro says "I need more buses! Get me more buses!" The sad thing is none of these politicians have a clue about public transportation on Staten Island because they all just hop in their cars. I mean the only reason they care so much about the express bus is because many of us who vote for them make them make that their priority because they know that we're the ones who vote for them, and the express bus is especially serious business on the South Shore as shown with the X1 in particular.

6) So you believe.... lol

7) OH BOY.... ;)

1) If it's at night, then the buses are crowded because the shuttle isn't running (I think the last one is around 20:30, but I'm not sure).

And the S61 can get crowded. It all depends on which bus is in front.

Anyway, like I said before, I made no mention of evening service. I clearly said that midday service would be reduced from 12 minutes to 15 minutes in the eastbound direction. Unless you're playing hooky from work, I don't think you can comment on ridership at that time.

2) See above.

Also, unless there's some problem up there, there's no way the S66 adds 10-15 minutes going up the hill. It's not like there's any real traffic, so it's maybe 5 minutes slower than the locals and 10 minutes slower than the limiteds, if even that.

3) They didn't beef up S62 service during rush hour, and like I said, I'm talking only about middays in the eastbound direction.

4) Of course, but I probably go earlier than the times you go.

5) Well, there were politicians testifying about local service at the public hearing, but they were probably doing it just to look good.

In any case, Cusick says he'll get back to me. He sent me a letter yesterday, so I know my response didn't get lost in a stack of papers.

6) If it helps me get my extension, yes. ;)

7) And that's why I wanted the facepalm smiley so badly.

What about my S93 extension? (Which has become the new topic of this discussion)

And I think the S93 would be better off at its current CSI terminal, rather thsan switching it. At least there, it serves a residential area (Willowbrook). The Forest Hill Road side borders the Greenbelt and wouldn't serve as many riders.

huh you realize S92/62 takes 30 mins to complete its run right from all the way buddy you can't touch that portion as it sets S62 apart from other routes

I fail to see what a limited-stop S83 does for people on the SIE service road (and people along South Avenue to a lesser extent).

1) I'm in your neighborhood far more often than you think. If the X30 and X14 are not an option, then Victory Blvd becomes the next closest option and I'm only a 5 minute ride by bus or car and I use the X12 a lot both to and from work. I have seen packed S62s as late as 21:30 going to the ferry and many them are CSI students. I'm not sure why they prefer the S62 over the shuttle, but there are still plenty of them using the S62. Aside from that you would think that the S61 and S66 would help out, but from my analysis, the S66 often runs rather empty. They seem to schedule the S66 after the big boys along Victory Blvd come (S62 and S61), which also doesn't help.

2) I have seen people look when they see the S66 and they will literally let it get by and quite frankly I would do the same thing if I was taking that to the ferry. I mean who in the hell wants to meander up to Grymes Hill when they're going to the ferry? That detour adds a good 10 - 15 minutes to the commute, so for what it's worth many of the S66s that I see along Victory are not all that well used. The S61 seems to have its own problems and the S62 is the most reliable out of the Victory Blvd routes, so I would not suggest cutting it back at all, especially later on at night. I have seen S61s that were scheduled that never showed and then the S66 runs at weird times and doesn't help that many people depending on where they're going, so that's why the service levels on the S62 are needed.

3) That really depends on the time of the day. You're also underestimating the need for the S62 for the folks not coming from Brooklyn. You have to remember that there has already been service reductions on Victory Blvd with the loss of the S67, so they beefed up S62 service to deal with that and I think that was the right decision on their end. The S62 IS the main route of Victory Blvd and it serves all of Victory Blvd, so to suggest cutting it back is ridiculous. The S93 serves a different segment of folks.

4) You would wouldn't you? B)

5) LOL.... A politician fighting for local bus service on Staten Island. I haven't heard a peep from anyone since the S89 was created. All Molinaro says "I need more buses! Get me more buses!" The sad thing is none of these politicians have a clue about public transportation on Staten Island because they all just hop in their cars. I mean the only reason they care so much about the express bus is because many of us who vote for them make them make that their priority because they know that we're the ones who vote for them, and the express bus is especially serious business on the South Shore as shown with the X1 in particular.

6) So you believe.... lol

7) OH BOY.... ;)

1) If it's at night, then the buses are crowded because the shuttle isn't running (I think the last one is around 20:30, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, like I said before, I made no mention of evening service. I clearly said that midday service would be reduced from 12 minutes to 15 minutes in the eastbound direction. Unless you're playing hooky from work, I don't think you can comment on ridership at that time.

2) See above.

Also, unless there's some problem up there, there's no way the S66 adds 10-15 minutes going up the hill. It's not like there's any real traffic, so it's maybe 5 minutes slower than the locals and 10 minutes slower than the limiteds, if even that.

3) They didn't beef up S62 service during rush hour, and like I said, I'm talking only about middays in the eastbound direction.

5) Well, there were politicians testifying about local service at the public hearing, but they were probably doing it just to look good.

In any case, Cusick says he'll get back to me. He sent me a letter yesterday, so I know my response didn't get lost in a stack of papers.

I never said the S61 can't help out or that it doesn't get crowded. I just said that sometimes they're MIA.

Well if that's the case neither could you, unless you're playing hooky... Like I said, the (MTA) thinks the service is warranted and I agree, wise guy. ;)

2) Also, unless there's some problem up there, there's no way the S66 adds 10-15 minutes going up the hill. It's not like there's any real traffic, so it's maybe 5 minutes slower than the locals and 10 minutes slower than the limiteds, if even that.

Yeah and that 5 minutes or whatever could mean them missing the ferry. And you have said that in previous posts, so taking that bus could cost then an additional 30 minute commute in most cases.

Yeah well, like I said, I still don't support any cuts at any hour to the S62. You're creative. Get the funds from elsewhere instead of robbing another line of bus service. :mad: :tdown: Notice that NONE of my proposals rob other lines of bus service. Instead I try to make service more efficient. :cool:

No question about that. It's much more civilized when I go later at night. I just like to catch it before the self-serve thingys close this way I have to deal with the annoying cashiers. They're usually okay, but I don't need them knowing what I'm buying. You how annoying people can be. Oh, I like such and such item too like I asked for your ******* two cents. :(

I bought some German cupcakes today for dessert from this place in Grand Central down in the Dining Concourse to go with my brown rice and natural vegeterian chili since I didn't feel like schlepping down to Whole Foods, so I go to pay for them and this obese chick (cashier) goes, "Oh, the German cupcakes! I iced these myself this morning." I thought to myself, yeah and I bet you ate like 20 cupcakes in the process and ate whatever icing was left over too. :eek: Obese slob. :(

She was like the size of a linebacker weight wise but half the height of a linebacker. :eek: I kept thinking to myself, Good God. What in the world does this chick eat? She was certainly younger than me (in her 20s I would imagine and she was looked terrible).

Oh yeah, well what politician is not going to try to pretend like they give a damn about transportation in NYC?? B)

Yeah a canned letter... Let's hope for the best...

6) If it helps me get my extension, yes. :(

Well we can always dream... ;)

You and me both in this case. :(

I never said the S61 can't help out or that it doesn't get crowded. I just said that sometimes they're MIA.

Well if that's the case neither could you, unless you're playing hooky... Like I said, the (MTA) thinks the service is warranted and I agree, wise guy. ;)

2) Also, unless there's some problem up there, there's no way the S66 adds 10-15 minutes going up the hill. It's not like there's any real traffic, so it's maybe 5 minutes slower than the locals and 10 minutes slower than the limiteds, if even that.

Yeah and that 5 minutes or whatever could mean them missing the ferry. And you have said that in previous posts, so taking that bus could cost then an additional 30 minute commute in most cases.

Yeah well, like I said, I still don't support any cuts at any hour to the S62. You're creative. Get the funds from elsewhere instead of robbing another line of bus service. :mad: :tdown: Notice that NONE of my proposals rob other lines of bus service. Instead I try to make service more efficient. :cool:

No question about that. It's much more civilized when I go later at night. I just like to catch it before the self-serve thingys close this way I have to deal with the annoying cashiers. They're usually okay, but I don't need them knowing what I'm buying. You how annoying people can be. Oh, I like such and such item too like I asked for your ******* two cents. :(

I bought some German cupcakes today for dessert from this place in Grand Central down in the Dining Concourse to go with my brown rice and natural vegeterian chili since I didn't feel like schlepping down to Whole Foods, so I go to pay for them and this obese chick (cashier) goes, "Oh, the German cupcakes! I iced these myself this morning." I thought to myself, yeah and I bet you ate like 20 cupcakes in the process and ate whatever icing was left over too. :eek: Obese slob. :(

She was like the size of a linebacker weight wise but half the height of a linebacker. :eek: I kept thinking to myself, Good God. What in the world does this chick eat? She was certainly younger than me (in her 20s I would imagine and she was looked terrible).

Oh yeah, well what politician is not going to try to pretend like they give a damn about transportation in NYC?? B)

6) If it helps me get my extension, yes. :(

Returning to the original topic, I would say no, and instead suggest that the B63 have a branch that serves SUNY Downstate-Bay Ridge (to where service is currently horrible, only serviced by the B70) and the VA Hospital. Alternating B63 trips (which would carry the B53 designation) would be sent that way.

Returning to the original topic, I would say no, and instead suggest that the B63 have a branch that serves SUNY Downstate-Bay Ridge (to where service is currently horrible, only serviced by the B70) and the VA Hospital. Alternating B63 trips (which would carry the B53 designation) would be sent that way.

The SIR is a de facto Amboy Rd "LTD bus", but it actually misses whole areas of Amboy Rd which are nowhere near any SIR stations. The SIR covers Amboy up to a point.

And I think the S93 would be better off at its current CSI terminal, rather than switching it. At least there, it serves a residential area (Willowbrook). The Forest Hill Road side borders the Greenbelt and wouldn't serve as many riders.

2) See above.

I was thinking more in future terms were CUNY, the MTA, and DOT to build a second CSI Bus Terminal/Loop Bus Link-up Area at CSI's Forest Hill Rd exit/entrance. This FH Rd Terminal would be to CSI's back door what the Victory Blvd Terminal is to CSI's front door.

1) I never said the S61 can't help out or that it doesn't get crowded. I just said that sometimes they're MIA.

2) Well if that's the case neither could you, unless you're playing hooky... Like I said, the (MTA) thinks the service is warranted and I agree, wise guy. ;)

3) Yeah and that 5 minutes or whatever could mean them missing the ferry. And you have said that in previous posts, so taking that bus could cost then an additional 30 minute commute in most cases.

4) Yeah well, like I said, I still don't support any cuts at any hour to the S62. You're creative. Get the funds from elsewhere instead of robbing another line of bus service. :mad: :tdown: Notice that NONE of my proposals rob other lines of bus service. Instead I try to make service more efficient. :cool:

5) No question about that. It's much more civilized when I go later at night. I just like to catch it before the self-serve thingys close this way I have to deal with the annoying cashiers. They're usually okay, but I don't need them knowing what I'm buying. You how annoying people can be. Oh, I like such and such item too like I asked for your ******* two cents. :(

6) Oh yeah, well what politician is not going to try to pretend like they give a damn about transportation in NYC?? ;)

7) Yeah a canned letter... Let's hope for the best...

1) True, but I still think it's going overboard. I mean, the ferry runs every 30 minutes, and the S61 and S62 both run every 15 minutes each (and toss in the S66 on top of that). Even if a bus goes missing, chances are that the people will still make the ferry.

I mean, the advantage that Victory Blvd has is that there aren't a ton of traffic lights, and there are a lot of stops where nobody really waits, so there's less potential for delay.

2) Service is every 12 minutes from 13:00-16:00. I get out of school at 14:00, so I can still get an idea of the crowding on the buses at that time, at least in my area (though sometimes I have to go down to St. George, so I see the buses there as well)

3) True, but unless there's an S61 or S62 scheduled to come a couple of minutes behind it, you realistically don't have anything to lose by getting on the S66.

4) But excess service is excess service, and like I said, they'll get the funding from additional revenue from the passengers. I just suggested the S62 in case they don't believe that there will be enough passengers to cover the costs.

5) Yeah, I like the self-checkout better myself, but the problem is that it's a little harder when you use coupons.

6) True...

7) I have a political science professor with some connections, so hopefully he can help as well.

I was thinking more in future terms were CUNY, the MTA, and DOT to build a second CSI Bus Terminal/Loop Bus Link-up Area at CSI's Forest Hill Rd exit/entrance. This FH Rd Terminal would be to CSI's back door what the Victory Blvd Terminal is to CSI's front door.

There's a couple of points against that:

1) There are more people living on the Victory Blvd side than on the Forest Hill Road side (that just so happen to get off at the CSI stop because it's closest to their homes). So given a choice, it's better to serve that side than the other side.

2) It's a longer trip via Forest Hill Road, which means more money would be spent.

3) The back entrance is pretty narrow and has more potential to get congested. I mean, you could have it on the street and turn it around on some side streets if the residents allow it, but why do that when you have more people along Victory Blvd?

I mean, if there's anything that should serve the back entrance of CSI, it would be the S55/S56 as an attempt to boost ridership.

Better to serve Bay Ridge, so that riders can have access to the (R).
if you want the (R) use s93/53/79 DONE the B2 extension doesn't need bay ridge as that would make it a duplicate that will only get axed.

Well if that's the case neither could you, unless you're playing hooky... Like I said, the (MTA) thinks the service is warranted and I agree, wise guy. :(

Oh yeah, well what politician is not going to try to pretend like they give a damn about transportation in NYC?? ;)

same with all of my proposals in LI to an extent due to duplicate rtes getting axed. And similar to my NJ ones that literally had a police officer at the service cut meetings to BEG me to submit my ideas to NJT I kid you not!!!!!

Ohh my SI idea makes S55/56 and S54,57 more efficient by adding very major trip generators and transfer points to the lines to boost ridership decreasing cost of operation. My SI plan is more radical than my LI ideas cause none of my LI plans extend N buses to Suffolk or queens without merging with another bus rte. I also spoke to a bus operator about long beach parkways

1) True, but I still think it's going overboard. I mean, the ferry runs every 30 minutes, and the S61 and S62 both run every 15 minutes each (and toss in the S66 on top of that). Even if a bus goes missing, chances are that the people will still make the ferry.

I mean, the advantage that Victory Blvd has is that there aren't a ton of traffic lights, and there are a lot of stops where nobody really waits, so there's less potential for delay.

2) Service is every 12 minutes from 13:00-16:00. I get out of school at 14:00, so I can still get an idea of the crowding on the buses at that time, at least in my area (though sometimes I have to go down to St. George, so I see the buses there as well)

3) True, but unless there's an S61 or S62 scheduled to come a couple of minutes behind it, you realistically don't have anything to lose by getting on the S66.

4) But excess service is excess service, and like I said, they'll get the funding from additional revenue from the passengers. I just suggested the S62 in case they don't believe that there will be enough passengers to cover the costs.

5) Yeah, I like the self-checkout better myself, but the problem is that it's a little harder when you use coupons.

6) True...

7) I have a political science professor with some connections, so hopefully he can help as well.

There's a couple of points against that:

1) There are more people living on the Victory Blvd side than on the Forest Hill Road side (that just so happen to get off at the CSI stop because it's closest to their homes). So given a choice, it's better to serve that side than the other side.

2) It's a longer trip via Forest Hill Road, which means more money would be spent.

3) The back entrance is pretty narrow and has more potential to get congested. I mean, you could have it on the street and turn it around on some side streets if the residents allow it, but why do that when you have more people along Victory Blvd?

I mean, if there's anything that should serve the back entrance of CSI, it would be the S55/S56 as an attempt to boost ridership.

That's very true about the FH Rd entry/exit & traffic. Not to mention how traffic can be going towards the Mall on FH Rd. Well both ways really sometimes. FH Rd's a funny place traffic-wise. It's almost "tidal". Some days & times FH Rd's a quick cakewalk drive {"low tide"}. Go there other days & times & it takes 20 minutes or more just to get from by the Mall up to where CSI is {"high tide"}.

You clearly don't use the Victory Blvd buses as much as I do because if you did you would know that you can't reduce either the S61 or the S62. It is not overboard. The service is needed and even the (MTA) admits that. Why do you refuse to accept that? The (MTA) has reduced service on Victory Blvd over the years by eliminating the S67 AND getting rid of the S66 on the weekends, so if the service wasn't warranted they would've reduced the headways already. Another thing that you're overlooking or trying to dismiss is that all of the buses (except for the S62/S92) serve different corridors besides Victory Blvd. Most of them run along Victory because there really isn't anywhere else to go. I mean where else would you send those buses without them meandering about to get to the ferry? Jewett Avenue basically runs dead smack into Victory so that explains the S66 and I don't see where else the S61 could run besides Victory once it comes off of Bradley.

On a funny note, I remember when they were redoing parts of Victory Blvd and they had all of the Victory Blvd buses detouring at Clove & Victory and then taking Clove down to Forest and Forest over to Victory and I would have them drop me right there on Forest and Elizabeth, leaving me steps from the house. :cool: Clearly you can't send those buses anywhere else AND they all serve a different ridership base. The problem with Staten Island is that there are very few main corridors that go anywhere, so most of the main corridors will see the most traffic in terms of riders hence why you have so much service on Richmond Avenue, Hylan Blvd and Victory Blvd.

I'm sorry but midday is NOT 14:00...

Oh please. Don't even try it with the double talking. You are not going to sit here and BS and tell me that you would take the S66 which meanders up in Grymes Hill when you have a direct bus like the S61 or S62 because it would be too risky missing the ferry.

Yeah, it would be if there excess but there isn't. :mad:

I used it tonight when I went there and got some discounts. 8 pack of Bounty for $9.99, bottle of Pellegrino for $1.29 and Perrier 2 for $4.00. :cool: Of course I got cereal because they're always on sale... Kashi and Cascadian Farms.... Got this Blueberry clusters cereal from Kashi... VERY GOOD and high in fiber low, no saturated fat and it also has mono and polyunsaturated fat as well. ;) :tup:

That's very true about the FH Rd entry/exit & traffic. Not to mention how traffic can be going towards the Mall on FH Rd. Well both ways really sometimes. FH Rd's a funny place traffic-wise. It's almost "tidal". Some days & times FH Rd's a quick cakewalk drive {"low tide"}. Go there other days & times & it takes 20 minutes or more just to get from by the Mall up to where CSI is {"high tide"}.

It's amazing how it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and yet it can get so much traffic. The same for Rockland Avenue in the Greenbelt.

1) You clearly don't use the Victory Blvd buses as much as I do because if you did you would know that you can't reduce either the S61 or the S62. It is not overboard. The service is needed and even the (MTA) admits that. Why do you refuse to accept that? The (MTA) has reduced service on Victory Blvd over the years by eliminating the S67 AND getting rid of the S66 on the weekends, so if the service wasn't warranted they would've reduced the headways already. Another thing that you're overlooking or trying to dismiss is that all of the buses (except for the S62/S92) serve different corridors besides Victory Blvd. Most of them run along Victory because there really isn't anywhere else to go. I mean where else would you send those buses without them meandering about to get to the ferry? Jewett Avenue basically runs dead smack into Victory so that explains the S66 and I don't see where else the S61 could run besides Victory once it comes off of Bradley.

2) I'm sorry but midday is NOT 14:00...

3) Oh please. Don't even try it with the double talking. You are not going to sit here and BS and tell me that you would take the S66 which meanders up in Grymes Hill when you have a direct bus like the S61 or S62 because it would be too risky missing the ferry.

4) Yeah, it would be if there excess but there isn't. :mad:

5) I used it tonight when I went there and got some discounts. 8 pack of Bounty for $9.99, bottle of Pellegrino for $1.29 and Perrier 2 for $4.00. :cool: Of course I got cereal because they're always on sale... Kashi and Cascadian Farms.... Got this Blueberry clusters cereal from Kashi... VERY GOOD and high in fiber low, no saturated fat and it also has mono and polyunsaturated fat as well. :( :tup:

1) The last time I checked, you said you barely use the local buses on SI. ;)

As far as where the S61 and S66 could go, the answer is nowhere, but that doesn't mean Victory Blvd doesn't have service that could be trimmed a bit. (I mean, you could combine the S61 and S66 into one route that goes down Bradley Avenue and Jewett Avenue, but that's never going to happen. They'd probably lose a ton of ridership if that happened)

2) It is on the subway. ;)

And you're not going to sit there and tell me that 14:00 is rush hour, are you?

3) I would if I had already missed the S61 and S62. I'd have nothing to lose.

4) Well then let's agree to disagree.

5) Eh, my family's been shopping there since we moved here 7 years ago. At some point, the low prices stopped impressing us and we took them for granted.

1) The last time I checked, you said you barely use the local buses on SI. ;)

I don't, but that doesn't mean that I don't observe what's going on with the local buses. Last night I took the X12 home and of course we go down Victory Blvd and I'll probably be over there again either tonight or over the weekend. After Forest Avenue, I'm on Victory Blvd more than any other main street on the island and I've rode the Victory Blvd local buses to know that not much has changed based on my experience and observations.

As far as where the S61 and S66 could go, the answer is nowhere, but that doesn't mean Victory Blvd doesn't have service that could be trimmed a bit. (I mean, you could combine the S61 and S66 into one route that goes down Bradley Avenue and Jewett Avenue, but that's never going to happen. They'd probably lose a ton of ridership if that happened)

Aside from that, I don't see how that is even possible. The S61 goes south and the S66 goes north after Victory...

2) It is on the subway. ;)

And you're not going to sit there and tell me that 14:00 is rush hour, are you?

Wiseguy... You know what I mean... And to answer your question, what does rush hour have to do with it? If a bus gets good usage it gets good usage. The (MTA) obviously looked at the ridership numbers in order to conclude that the service that they were providing was necessary. You cannot cut from an artery like the S62 just to give another line that happens to run down Victory for part of its route more service. :tdown: That's like cutting back on S48 service to give the S59 a boost in service along the small portion of Forest Avenue that it serves. That's just completely irrational. The S62 IS the Victory Blvd bus, as it serves all of Victory Blvd. Meanwhile the S93 on serves a small portion of Victory Blvd, especially since it makes limited stops. Like I said, if you want to have the line extended, get the savings from elsewhere. :tdown:

3) I would if I had already missed the S61 and S62. I'd have nothing to lose.

Yeah, but you more than likely wouldn't know if you had missed them anyway so that's inmaterial. :(

4) Well then let's agree to disagree.

Well if you're that adamant about it then make suggestions for less service on Richmond Avenue... Those buses run in packs on Richmond like I can't believe... Last night I observed while waiting for my cab to pick me up with my Perrier and such. Two X10s back to back (but those are needed because I know that those buses are about 8 minutes apart from the city around 20:00 - 20:10 when the next wave of folks leaving work start to get on), then 2 S44s... One packed one and one with a handful of folks on it and then a S59 with a few people on it just minutes after that second S44 came. I still think those buses need to be better spaced. It's almost like they have buses running along there to control overflow or something, which is just dumb. Space the buses properly and have them hold their schedule and there is no need for all of that. :mad:

5) Eh, my family's been shopping there since we moved here 7 years ago. At some point, the low prices stopped impressing us and we took them for granted.

Yeah, I'm starting to do the same. If certain items aren't on sale there, I just don't buy them until they go back on sale. I could've bought Bounty the last time I went, but none were on sale, so yesterday they had the 8 pack on sale and I got that. They've got a good strategy though... The more items that are on sale, the more I tend to buy because I'm saving in other places, but I'm nipping that in the bud. I only got things that I needed basically aside from the cereal, but I treated myself to an extra box because of the savings I got with the other items. :cool:

- Shortline suggesting 93's in brooklyn pan south to the med. ctr....

- dude on subchat got the S93 panning east of richmond (av), to turn around on local streets.... The whole (service to) richmond av proposal isn't limited to him, but would it be really worth it to extend it westward.... this is what I meant in another thread about not understanding the purpose of certain routes.....

What's so wrong with the S93 route all of a sudden....

I always thought that was one of the more useful routes on SI.... maybe it's gotten that much worse as of late, iono......

- Shortline suggesting 93's in brooklyn pan south to the med. ctr....

- dude on subchat got the S93 panning east of richmond (av), to turn around on local streets.... The whole (service to) richmond av proposal isn't limited to him, but would it be really worth it to extend it westward.... this is what I meant in another thread about not understanding the purpose of certain routes.....

What's so wrong with the S93 route all of a sudden....

I always thought that was one of the more useful routes on SI.... maybe it's gotten that much worse as of late, iono......

I think it could be extended westward on Staten Island, BUT not if that means reductions in service to other lines. I would have it extended to Richmond Avenue perhaps, but any further than that and I would want to see some sort of study that shows that there would be enough ridership to sustain the extension, otherwise it is a waste of resources. I would also contend that extending it further could make the line less reliable and its real purpose serves more as a shuttle from CSI to Brooklyn.

I think it could be extended westward on Staten Island, BUT not if that means reductions in service to other lines. I would have it extended to Richmond Avenue perhaps, but any further than that and I would want to see some sort of study that shows that there would be enough ridership to sustain the extension, otherwise it is a waste of resources. I would also contend that extending it further could make the line less reliable and its real purpose serves more as a shuttle from CSI to Brooklyn.

Given the MTA's criteria/stipulation, there's gonna end up being reductions elsewhere, have that happen....

Sometimes I feel like it's a waste of time coming up with proposals anymore... I do not believe in the philosophy of taking away from others to benefit another group of people... and that looks to be the message the MTA's (indirectly) giving....

I'm aware of the S93's purpose, thanks....

I myself don't see much of a point to sending it past CSI and worrying about its resulting reliability on top of it.... one or the other is gonna have to be fully considered...

(A similar POV is why I was always against that B35 proposal out to New Lots (L); buses aren't gonna become anymore reliable, and we over here definitely don't have ridership issues)....

Now if the S93 were hard pressed for riders, then I would throw out the reliability argument & fully support that particular extension... To anyone that wanna bring up network coverage, it can be done for those purposes, but I just don't think it'd be worth it....

I think I'm on the brink of giving up "fighting the good fight"..... bus service (in general) is gonna start dwindling as time progresses anyway.....

Archived