An idea: Should the "S93' serve the Brooklyn VA Medical center when it runs?

Shortline Bus

On a side note, I was watching Channel 4 this morning and some community out in NJ is going crazy (mainly the businesses along a main strip) where a bus company has said that they're going to pull out because the jitneys are taking away the passengers leaving them with the crumbs which is nothing and the businesses are crying foul saying that the 24 hour bus service which brings customers along the corridor would hurt businesses, so they put up a banner asking folks to use the route and not use the jitneys if they want to keep their service.

Slightly different case with the S93 but in this case you would make a route potentially less reliable and more delay proned and students would say, why am I bothering to come here if it's such a hassle for me to get to my classes with unreliable service? Everyone is going to point to the S93 extension as the culprit and the pressure would force the (MTA) to do something.

Think that's R&T (red and tan).... that's what I think QJT was referring to w/ that bit about the 99S.. not sure.... Pablo M 201 can elaborate more on that; that's his territory.... But what I will say is that, the jitneys long done run rampant in that part of NJ.... Not to say/imply that the other NJT routes (the 8_'s & the 12_'s) in that area have suffered b/c of the jitneys...

...and I got your point about enrollment.... Loud & Clear.

You don't have to elaborate on your points to me, as you would w/ Checkmate.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Is Arlington between Victory Blvd and Forest Avenue? I think you need to look at a map because the last time I checked, that's Graniteville, not Arlington.

I clearly said that the network coverage would be for the areas near the SIE. Arlington would be to get additional ridership.

Let me break it down:

* CSI-Richmond Avenue: Ridership

* Richmond Avenue between Victory Blvd and the SIE: Transition road because there's no alternate route

* Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue between South Avenue & Richmond Avenue: Coverage

* South Avenue between the SIE and Arlington: Ridership (because for the mile or so between those two areas, the ridership would outweigh the costs)

So then the S48 doesn't go to Arlington then and I've been mistaken all of these years? I mean you can't have every dirt road over there served by a friggin' bus. On that idea, we should still have the X16 because West Brighton currently only has the X30, which means Downtown riders have to either drive to the X12 or take the X30 to the X14. Is it the most convenient set up? No, but you can't advocate for extensions when the (MTA) is broke and can't even provide basic service to other areas. You've argued about folks having to transfer, but they still have SERVICE and plenty of options, whether you want to admit or not. They have more express bus options than we do in West Brighton and they most certainly don't use their express bus service any more than we do as shown by the few the X12s that run all the way to Mariners Harbor/Arlington. Most of the X12s and X42s start at Forest and South and they start there to serve those condo folks by South & Goethals Road North.

2) My point is that there are no options (unless you want to count the X17J on Goethals Road North, but that doesn't help anybody on the southern side of the SIE and is an express bus anyway)

I most certainly am counting it. Also what makes you think that everyone would be eh okay with the additional pollution and noise from this S93 extension over by Goethals Road North? I don't see very many people walking over by Goethals Road North OR along South Avenue really for that matter. Everyone is driving over there or taking the express bus. I should also point out that the reason that the X30 was re-routed off of Forest Avenue and over by Goethals Road North instead was because the folks over there by those condos made a stink saying that they needed express bus service that was closer to the condos. They made NO mention of wanting or needing local bus service and if they did clearly something would've been done if they were able to get the X30 re-routed.

Think that's R&T (red and tan).... that's what I think QJT was referring to w/ that bit about the 99S.. not sure.... Pablo M 201 can elaborate more on that; that's his territory.... But what I will say is that, the jitneys long done taken over in that part of NJ....

...and I got your point about enrollment.... Loud & Clear.

You don't have to elaborate on your points to me, as you would w/ Checkmate.

LOL...

1) You say you see my point.... but at the same time, you're goin back & forth with ME, arguing a point HE's refuting on that note...

2) May as well be, but in my commentary about the S93, I'm referring to any type of network coverage.....

3) Nah, that's not what I'm gettin at... I think you know that, too....

your original quote to me read:

You brought up the addition of reverse peak service in that original context, to try to convey to me, that there is no benefit of the S93 outside of its original purpose..... Conveying a point which I never posed any opposition to in the first place....

1 & 2: So your position is that the need for network coverage in the area I'm referring to is not enough to justify the extension of the S93, correct? And there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

3: You mean there is a benefit outside it's original purpose? Because that's what I'm arguing and you say you're not opposing it.

1) So then the S48 doesn't go to Arlington then and I've been mistaken all of these years? I mean you can't have every dirt road over there served by a friggin' bus. On that idea, we should still have the X16 because West Brighton currently only has the X30, which means Downtown riders have to either drive to the X12 or take the X30 to the X14. Is it the most convenient set up? No, but you can't advocate for extensions when the (MTA) is broke and can't even provide basic service to other areas. You've argued about folks having to transfer, but they still have SERVICE and plenty of options, whether you want to admit or not. They have more express bus options than we do in West Brighton and they most certainly don't use their express bus service any more than we do as shown by the few the X12s that run all the way to Mariners Harbor/Arlington. Most of the X12s and X42s start at Forest and South and they start there to serve those condo folks by South & Goethals Road North.

2) I most certainly am counting it. Also what makes you think that everyone would be eh okay with the additional pollution and noise from this S93 extension over by Goethals Road North? I don't see very many people walking over by Goethals Road North OR along South Avenue really for that matter. Everyone is driving over there or taking the express bus. I should also point out that the reason that the X30 was re-routed off of Forest Avenue and over by Goethals Road North instead was because the folks over there by those condos made a stink saying that they needed express bus service that was closer to the condos. They made NO mention of wanting or needing local bus service and if they did clearly something would've been done if they were able to get the X30 re-routed.

1) Did you not read the breakdown I just gave you? It would be fine by me if the S93 ended by South Avenue/Goethals Road North, because it would fulfill its goal of providing coverage to the area.

And you're still harping about Arlington when the primary purpose isn't to serve them. Yes, they have other options (options that can become overcrowded with students, but options nontheless), but the area where this extension is intended to serve does not.

And when did I deny that the X16 should be brought back? Isn't that your job to fight for it anyway?

2) So those schoolkids along Goethals Road North are figments of my imagination, right? And the X17J (which only runs in the peak direction, doesn't serve the southern side effectively, is pick-up only and charges a premium fare) is a substitute for local service?

And yes, the pollution and noise generated from a bus running every 15-30 minutes is going to be off the charts. The noise from all the cars on the SIE, or the school buses by the school, or even the X17J isn't their big complaint, it's the noise from a couple of S93 buses.

As far as local service goes, you know local riders aren't as likely to protest, and maybe they didn't ask for it because they didn't know it was possible. I mean, the S93 is all the way by CSI. Who would think of extending it to South Avenue?

1 & 2: So your position is that the need for network coverage in the area I'm referring to is not enough to justify the extension of the S93, correct? And there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

3: You mean there is a benefit outside it's original purpose? Because that's what I'm arguing and you say you're not opposing it.

1/2) I'm sayin there's nothin, period that'll convince me that the S93 should actually be extended....

So yes, network coverage is included as being a(ny) reason I wouldn't consider....

3) man, don't sit there & play dumb... you know by the S93's original purpose, I'm referring to the transport of only CSI students to/from Brooklyn.....

Anyone else that doesn't fall into that category (a non CSI student... and/or those of which use the S93 within SI) benefits from the existence of the S93....

1/2) I'm sayin there's nothin, period that'll convince me that the S93 should actually be extended....

So yes, network coverage is included as being a(ny) reason I wouldn't consider....

3) man, don't sit there & play dumb... you know by the S93's original purpose, I'm referring to the transport of only CSI students to/from Brooklyn.....

Anyone else that doesn't fall into that category (a non CSI student... and/or those of which use the S93 within SI) benefits from the existence of the S93....

1) Alright.

2) Yes, I know what the original purpose was (C'mon, you know I'm not the type to play dumb). I meant to phrase it differently.

You said "You brought up the addition of reverse peak service in that original context, to try to convey to me, that there is no benefit of the S93 outside of its original purpose"

I was trying to make sure that you meant "there is a benefit outside its original purpose", which you do mean (and that's why I bolded the word "a")

On a side note, I was watching Channel 4 this morning and some community out in NJ is going crazy (mainly the businesses along a main strip) where a bus company has said that they're going to pull out because the jitneys are taking away the passengers leaving them with the crumbs which is nothing and the businesses are crying foul saying that the 24 hour bus service which brings customers along the corridor would hurt businesses, so they put up a banner asking folks to use the route and not use the jitneys if they want to keep their service.

Slightly different case with the S93 but in this case you would make a route potentially less reliable and more delay proned and students would say, why am I bothering to come here if it's such a hassle for me to get to my classes with unreliable service? Everyone is going to point to the S93 extension as the culprit and the pressure would force the (MTA) to do something.

The problem is that Meredith is already at capacity and there is not enough space to put more buses there. It only has 75 or so buses, all of which are express buses, used for rush hour service only, as the "depot" (more like a parking garage) does not operate on the weekends. I for one would be pissed because overall, the X12 and X30 have become reliable since the move to Meredith, although at first, service was a mess on the X30. The X12 is much more reliable now than what it was out of Castleton, both in the morning and the evening, and the same can be said about the X30 overall. The X30 has improved so much that I have reduced my usage of the X14 which is more erratic (surprise surprise... another bus out of Castleton that runs as it pleases :mad:), although getting home at night on the X30 of late has taken forever. Friday night was insane, but that has nothing to do with the depot and more of a traffic issue with the Lincoln Tunnel.

Furthermore, the (MTA) already stated that due to the financial difficulty that they find themselves in that they don't have the money to support what they consider to be a LONG extension for an area with an untested market. They see it as too much of a gamble and I agree and I also strongly oppose any reduction of the S62 OR any other route to extend a route to an untested area. If they've got the money for it from some other source then fine, but we cannot afford any more service reductions on Staten Island when we've lost so much already on local bus service alone.

Good point about Meredith. She's smaller than I realized:( I drove by Meredith once on a Sunday evening over 6 months ago, & didn't get a good/close enough look at it:(

I read in the Advance recently that Arthur Kill Prison is slated to close December 1st. It would be good if the (MTA) could get that spot & land {IF they CAN(?)} from the state & build Depot #5 there. That probably won't happen though:(

It`s great Charleston finally opened, but SI could probably use yet another (MTA) bus garage/yard. The prison's not far from Charleston. From what I see of the prison property, a bus depot there, to supplement Charleston, would probably be bigger than Meredith.

Arthur Kill Depot could be solely for MCIs & artics.

Yes, I know what the original purpose was (C'mon, you know I'm not the type to play dumb). I meant to phrase it differently.

You said "You brought up the addition of reverse peak service in that original context, to try to convey to me, that there is no benefit of the S93 outside of its original purpose"

I was trying to make sure that you meant "there is a benefit outside its original purpose", which you do mean (and that's why I bolded the word "a")

I should hope you wadn't really tryna play dumb.....

I thought you bolded that 'a', as if to say you didn't know there was another benefit.....

But yeah, in that original statement of mine, it was a typo.... it happens.

That's exactly correct. I'm not convinced that there would be enough ridership to justify the extension. Furthermore, if it were to happen, some other route would suffer as a result because whether you want to accept it or not, there would be too much service along the new corridors that it would serve.

Aside from that how can you complain about "network coverage" when there NO bus service on the weekends after Broadway & Forest until you reach Forest & Decker Avenue? I have a hard time buying this whole network coverage argument when you have that much of a gap with no North-South bus service at all. Also, like I said, those prima donnas over there by South Avenue & Goethals Road North complained like crazy to get the X30 re-routed to specifically serve that condo complex, so if they were so desperate for local bus service, they most certainly would've made a stink about it, but like I said, they didn't because they're not looking for local bus service. They wouldn't have suggested a route per se, but they wouldn't called for some sort of local bus service to serve their needs better.

Of course there's a benefit! It's always great to have MORE bus service, especially if it is limited stops because the communities that the bus runs through benefits one way or another. Transportation is most certainly a selling point for good neighborhoods and that's one reason why we in West Brighton fought so hard to keep the X16. Forest Avenue will never be the same without that line, and the avenue has lost something because of it. I can see businesses along Forest not earning as much as they did with the X16. I most certainly don't shop along Forest Avenue as much as I used to now that the X16 isn't around. Sure I have the X30 but it isn't the same. The commute is longer and often times I'm deterred from making a stop because I just want to get home.

As far as CSI goes, I actually had to visit CSI for my study abroad program in Italy before I actually moved permanently to Staten Island and believe me, it was a very slow go on the S62 back to the ferry. Bus was packed too, so I do know the benefit of the S93. However, I could not support an extension unless other service was brought back. If there's money for the S93, well then there's money for the S83 and for the S54 and S66 to run on the weekends and money for the X16 too. That's how I see it. Otherwise they can't cry broke and then go a do an extension into an area that they have no data on in terms of potential ridership. Forget about your stats. They have nothing that they've done to show that the extension would be profitable and that's what they need because I can tell you know you would have some very pissed off communities that would argue the same point that I'm arguing.

1) Did you not read the breakdown I just gave you? It would be fine by me if the S93 ended by South Avenue/Goethals Road North, because it would fulfill its goal of providing coverage to the area

And you're still harping about Arlington when the primary purpose isn't to serve them. Yes, they have other options (options that can become overcrowded with students, but options nontheless), but the area where this extension is intended to serve does not.

Well let's see, you're the one that wants to extend it to Arlington, and I'm not supposed to harp on it??? B) I'm making my case as to why the service isn't needed in either corridor at the moment, especially not based on the (MTA)'s financial situation right now.

And when did I deny that the X16 should be brought back? Isn't that your job to fight for it anyway?

I didn't say you did. Stop over analyzing everything that I say. I was making an example. :(

2) So those schoolkids along Goethals Road North are figments of my imagination, right? And the X17J (which only runs in the peak direction, doesn't serve the southern side effectively, is pick-up only and charges a premium fare) is a substitute for local service?

And yes, the pollution and noise generated from a bus running every 15-30 minutes is going to be off the charts. The noise from all the cars on the SIE, or the school buses by the school, or even the X17J isn't their big complaint, it's the noise from a couple of S93 buses.

Those schoolkids are only there because they lost their bus service, so please and the majority of them hate having to walk and take the local bus and the politicians are still fighting to get their bus service back, so don't rule that out just yet. B)

As for the pollution, etc., I'm simply stating reasons that folks may argue over there.

As for the X17J, give me a friggin' break. Most of the folks over there are homeowners or live in condos. You are sitting here acting like so many people are so destitute because they don't have a bus in the immediate area. I mean really. The folks that live over there know what the moved into and that's why they drive or take the express bus. If you can afford a house or a condo, you more than likely are not going to be running to get a local bus. That's just the way it is.

As far as local service goes, you know local riders aren't as likely to protest, and maybe they didn't ask for it because they didn't know it was possible. I mean, the S93 is all the way by CSI. Who would think of extending it to South Avenue?

Really??? And what about all of the other communities that have fought for local bus service extensions? That's a really lame argument. :tdown: Having an express bus run through the area as opposed to a local bus is two different things. Believe me there are plenty of folks that would make a stink about having local buses run in their area, citing noise, pollution and riff raff.

1) That's exactly correct. I'm not convinced that there would be enough ridership to justify the extension. Furthermore, if it were to happen, some other route would suffer as a result because whether you want to accept it or not, there would be too much service along the new corridors that it would serve.

2) Aside from that how can you complain about "network coverage" when there NO bus service on the weekends after Broadway & Forest until you reach Forest & Decker Avenue? I have a hard time buying this whole network coverage argument when you have that much of a gap with no North-South bus service at all. Also, like I said, those prima donnas over there by South Avenue & Goethals Road North complained like crazy to get the X30 re-routed to specifically serve that condo complex, so if they were so desperate for local bus service, they most certainly would've made a stink about it, but like I said, they didn't because they're not looking for local bus service. They wouldn't have suggested a route per se, but they wouldn't called for some sort of local bus service to serve their needs better.

3) Of course there's a benefit! It's always great to have MORE bus service, especially if it is limited stops because the communities that the bus runs through benefits one way or another. Transportation is most certainly a selling point for good neighborhoods and that's one reason why we in West Brighton fought so hard to keep the X16. Forest Avenue will never be the same without that line, and the avenue has lost something because of it. I can see businesses along Forest not earning as much as they did with the X16. I most certainly don't shop along Forest Avenue as much as I used to now that the X16 isn't around. Sure I have the X30 but it isn't the same. The commute is longer and often times I'm deterred from making a stop because I just want to get home.

As far as CSI goes, I actually had to visit CSI for my study abroad program in Italy before I actually moved permanently to Staten Island and believe me, it was a very slow go on the S62 back to the ferry. Bus was packed too, so I do know the benefit of the S93. However, I could not support an extension unless other service was brought back. If there's money for the S93, well then there's money for the S83 and for the S54 and S66 to run on the weekends and money for the X16 too. That's how I see it. Otherwise they can't cry broke and then go a do an extension into an area that they have no data on in terms of potential ridership. Forget about your stats. They have nothing that they've done to show that the extension would be profitable and that's what they need because I can tell you know you would have some very pissed off communities that would argue the same point that I'm arguing.

4) Well let's see, you're the one that wants to extend it to Arlington, and I'm not supposed to harp on it??? :( I'm making my case as to why the service isn't needed in either corridor at the moment, especially not based on the (MTA)'s financial situation right now.

5) Those schoolkids are only there because they lost their bus service, so please and the majority of them hate having to walk and take the local bus and the politicians are still fighting to get their bus service back, so don't rule that out just yet. B)

As for the pollution, etc., I'm simply stating reasons that folks may argue over there.

6) As for the X17J, give me a friggin' break. Most of the folks over there are homeowners or live in condos. You are sitting here acting like so many people are so destitute because they don't have a bus in the immediate area. I mean really. The folks that live over there know what the moved into and that's why they drive or take the express bus. If you can afford a house or a condo, you more than likely are not going to be running to get a local bus. That's just the way it is.

7) Really??? And what about all of the other communities that have fought for local bus service extensions? That's a really lame argument. :tdown: Having an express bus run through the area as opposed to a local bus is two different things. Believe me there are plenty of folks that would make a stink about having local buses run in their area, citing noise, pollution and riff raff.

1) I wasn't talking to you. I quoted B35.

In any case, the only real corridor that it would serve would be South Avenue (you're not seriously counting the 1/2 mile along Richmond Avenue are you?), and that's only to get extra ridership.

2) How do you know they complained? I didn't see any news reports about their complaints. The X17J has very few seats left by the time it reaches that area and the MTA probably figured that rerouting the X30 was cheaper than adding more X17J service.

And yes, Graniteville does have a gap in service. It isn't as large as the gap in Westerleigh, but you can't deny that there's a gap (not to mention that outside of rush hours, there would still be a gap in east-west service in this area)

Both areas are beyond the guidelines for network coverage.

3) How is the commute longer if you work in Midtown? B)

And like I said, the ferry shuttle took a lot of riders from the S62. It's rare to see a packed S62 nowadays.

And like I said, the S93 extension would be cheaper per passenger than bringing back these other services. As far as making money goes, it's definitely possible, but I don't have the manpower to demonstrate it. The MTA could demonstrate it, but they don't want to be bothered.

And like I said, you fight for your service and I'll fight for mine (and I don't see the point in bringing up the S83 when you and I both know it's cost neutral)

4) Because that's not the primary point. As far as the SIE corridor, the MTA said it is needed, but they don't have the money for it.

5) I have a feeling it's not coming back, and even in schools where there is school bus service, there are plenty of kids who use transit instead.

6) So then let's cut all service except for the far North Shore then because that's what 90% of SI is: Houses and condos.

7) Which ones? And don't mention the ones fighting to keep service that was about to get cut.

And nobody living next to the SIE is going to complain about noise and pollution. You're kidding me with that statement. As far as riff-raff goes, the northern side definitely wouldn't complain and the southern side probably wouldn't either.

1) I wasn't talking to you. I quoted B35.

On what??? :confused:

In any case, the only real corridor that it would serve would be South Avenue (you're not seriously counting the 1/2 mile along Richmond Avenue are you?), and that's only to get extra ridership.

You can't make up your mind. One minute it's South Avenue. The next minute it's Goethals Rd North... LOL I give up. I don't support any extension to any corridor on the S93.

2) How do you know they complained? I didn't see any news reports about their complaints

I've been riding the route for years. The notices were put up on the X30, and it stated that they were doing it in order to "better serve riders in that corridor" that's how I know, not to mention that folks were pissed including myself about the detour and then it became known that those primadonnas over there were ******** about wanting the X30 closer to them, as if they're too good to walk to Forest Avenue. Meanwhile I walk almost 5 blocks to get to the X30 every morning. :mad:

1) On what??? :confused:

2) You can't make up your mind. One minute it's South Avenue. The next minute it's Goethals Rd North... LOL I give up. I don't support any extension to any corridor on the S93.

3) I've been riding the route for years. The notices were put up on the X30, and it stated that they were doing it in order to "better serve riders in that corridor" that's how I know, not to mention that folks were pissed including myself about the detour and then it became known that those primadonnas over there were ******** about wanting the X30 closer to them, as if they're too good to walk to Forest Avenue. Meanwhile I walk almost 5 blocks to get to the X30 every morning. :mad:

1) In Post #89, I asked B35 if his opinion was that the S93 shouldn't be extended, even for network coverage (and quoted his post). I didn't direct the question at you, but whatever...

2) Except that I repeatedly mentioned that the main purpose of the extension was to serve Goethals Road North.

I mentioned South Avenue because it's the only corridor where it parallels any route (in this case, the S40 & S48) for any significant distance, and even then, it's not that long a distance. You're not going to have people saying "I can take the S40, S48, or S93, whichever comes first"

3) So it better serves the area. That doesn't mean that it was done because of complaints. If it was done just to serve the condos, then your argument is moot because they already have the X17J. It was done because people were probably getting flagged, and it was cheaper to reroute the X30 than to run more X17Js.

So they're better serving the customers because they're not getting flagged as often. I remember on a school trip, we stopped off at that gas station (I was pissed because I dragged myself all the way to school when I could've just walked down to South Avenue), and people were being flagged for 3 or 4 buses at that stop before an X30 finally came.

And not everybody lives right at the intersection of Goethals Road North & South Avenue. Some live further back on Goethals Road North and some live all the way by Amity Place and have to walk to the X30, not to mention the regular people in the neighborhood who benefitted from this.

2) Except that I repeatedly mentioned that the main purpose of the extension was to serve Goethals Road North.

I mentioned South Avenue because it's the only corridor where it parallels any route (in this case, the S40 & S48) for any significant distance, and even then, it's not that long a distance. You're not going to have people saying "I can take the S40, S48, or S93, whichever comes first"

Then don't have the friggin' bus run to Arlington then. I mean it's either one or the other. It's main purpose is to serve Goethals Road North, but you're advocating for extending it to Arlington. Okay, sure. ;)

3) So it better serves the area. That doesn't mean that it was done because of complaints. If it was done just to serve the condos, then your argument is moot because they already have the X17J. It was done because people were probably getting flagged, and it was cheaper to reroute the X30 than to run more X17Js.

So they're better serving the customers because they're not getting flagged as often. I remember on a school trip, we stopped off at that gas station (I was pissed because I dragged myself all the way to school when I could've just walked down to South Avenue), and people were being flagged for 3 or 4 buses at that stop before an X30 finally came.

And not everybody lives right at the intersection of Goethals Road North & South Avenue. Some live further back on Goethals Road North and some live all the way by Amity Place and have to walk to the X30, not to mention the regular people in the neighborhood who benefitted from this.

Well then how else would you explain it?? You're telling me why it was done and I ride the route everyday and saw the notice on the bus from the (MTA)?? Uh okay, sure, you know it all. That stop there by Forest & South picked up just about the same as the stop on Goethals Road North, and if it wasn't done because of complaints then you wouldn't have folks on the X30 making the claim nor would the (MTA) had put up the notice that they did. The bus currently has to now turn down South Avenue and then come back up again on Goethals Road North, which is clearly a detour that inconveniences everyone else except for those prima donnas over there. You're a piece of work you know. One minute it's okay for folks to walk and transfer (like the CSI students, they can make two transfers so that you can have your S93 extension) and then when it's convenient for you the walk is too far and too many transfers.

1) Then don't have the friggin' bus run to Arlington then. I mean it's either one or the other. It's main purpose is to serve Goethals Road North, but you're advocating for extending it to Arlington. Okay, sure. ;)

2) Well then how else would you explain it?? You're telling me why it was done and I ride the route everyday and saw the notice on the bus from the (MTA)?? Uh okay, sure, you know it all. That stop there by Forest & South picked up just about the same as the stop on Goethals Road North, and if it wasn't done because of complaints then you wouldn't have folks on the X30 making the claim nor would the (MTA) had put up the notice that they did. The bus currently has to now turn down South Avenue and then come back up again on Goethals Road North, which is clearly a detour that inconveniences everyone else except for those prima donnas over there. You're a piece of work you know. One minute it's okay for folks to walk and transfer (like the CSI students, they can make two transfers so that you can have your S93 extension) and then when it's convenient for you the walk is too far and too many transfers.

1) But if it only runs to South Avenue/Goethals Road North, then it'll run the risk of "carrying air" (because remember that the main purpose is for network coverage). For an extra 5 minutes of travel time, it could serve a lot more people.

Plus, if you think about it, a lot of students in Arlington go to school in New Springville, and as of now, they're crowding S48/S98 buses to get to Richmond Avenue. Sending a few S93 buses that way (considering it's only a mile more from Goethals Road North) could actually save money by not having to increase S48/S98 service.

2) First of all, the students would only be transferring on the rare occasion that the S93 is late.

Second of all, there is no other cost-effective way to serve the area. I'm open to suggestions if you can think of another local route that can provide bidirectional service in this area.

Third of all, I just explained the reason: X17J buses had no seats by the time they reached the area and the MTA wanted to make sure they could get to work fast without having to spend a whole bunch of money on X17J service. They figured that they're not serving anybody at the stop by Home Depot, so they can serve the people by Goethals Road North. It's a basic law of transit: Go where the people are. Not to mention that the inconvenience is like 3 minutes, not a huge detour.

1) But if it only runs to South Avenue/Goethals Road North, then it'll run the risk of "carrying air" (because remember that the main purpose is for network coverage). For an extra 5 minutes of travel time, it could serve a lot more people.

Plus, if you think about it, a lot of students in Arlington go to school in New Springville, and as of now, they're crowding S48/S98 buses to get to Richmond Avenue. Sending a few S93 buses that way (considering it's only a mile more from Goethals Road North) could actually save money by not having to increase S48/S98 service.

Quite frankly, I'm not convinced that either extension wouldn't run the risk of carrying air, and apparently neither is the (MTA). Like I said if they've got money to pay for this extension then I want other routes brought back like the X16 and I want weekend service restored on the S66 and S54. :mad: It's inconceivable to talk about new extensions when you have seniors who can't get around because they lost their bus service on the weekends. The (MTA) claims that some cuts were severe, but they've got money for the S93? I mean that's insane. Like I said if they were to do this, you would have several neighborhoods have a fit because if they can afford this S93 extension, then they can afford to restore lost bus service to other neighborhoods on Staten Island.

2) First of all, the students would only be transferring on the rare occasion that the S93 is late.

Second of all, there is no other cost-effective way to serve the area. I'm open to suggestions if you can think of another local route that can provide bidirectional service in this area.

Yeah and how can you predict that the S93 won't have reliability problems as a result of this extension? I disagree about Victory Blvd being oh so non congested and like I said the main purpose of the S93 is to serve those CSI students and I don't see CSI going along with your plan at all buddy. You can argue all you want that other people use it which is true, but the S93 would not have enough ridership to justify keeping it if those CSI students didn't use it.

Third of all, I just explained the reason: X17J buses had no seats by the time they reached the area and the MTA wanted to make sure they could get to work fast without having to spend a whole bunch of money on X17J service. They figured that they're not serving anybody at the stop by Home Depot, so they can serve the people by Goethals Road North. It's a basic law of transit: Go where the people are. Not to mention that the inconvenience is like 3 minutes, not a huge detour.

Sure, that's one reason, but that's not the only reason. The stop by Home Depot is not a stop on Goethals Road North anyway, so that's a moot point. The equivalent of that stop is the old stop on Forest and South Avenue and that stop got just as much people as the current stop does.

The X17J and the X30 do not go to the same place (X17J goes to East Midtown and the X30 goes to West Midtown) so there is no need to re-route X30s over to the X17J simply because of overflow because if folks were still using the X17Js then sending the X30s over there wouldn't make a difference. You speak as if folks will just jump on the first bus that comes first, and in this case, that does not happen. Plenty of the X30s come by and folks will wait for the X17J, and it's not like the X17Js suddenly became less crowded either. Of course having both buses stop there benefits them because it gives them a backup plan if they so choose to use it, even if their backup is more inconvenient, but something is better than nothing.

Quite frankly X17J riders have been throwing a fit because they say that their commutes are already long enough and they want some of those northern stops cut out. I don't blame them quite frankly.

1) Quite frankly, I'm not convinced that either extension wouldn't run the risk of carrying air, and apparently neither is the (MTA). Like I said if they've got money to pay for this extension then I want other routes brought back like the X16 and I want weekend service restored on the S66 and S54. :mad: It's inconceivable to talk about new extensions when you have seniors who can't get around because they lost their bus service on the weekends. The (MTA) claims that some cuts were severe, but they've got money for the S93? I mean that's insane. Like I said if they were to do this, you would have several neighborhoods have a fit because if they can afford this S93 extension, then they can afford to restore lost bus service to other neighborhoods on Staten Island.

2) Yeah and how can you predict that the S93 won't have reliability problems as a result of this extension? I disagree about Victory Blvd being oh so non congested and like I said the main purpose of the S93 is to serve those CSI students and I don't see CSI going along with your plan at all buddy. You can argue all you want that other people use it which is true, but the S93 would not have enough ridership to justify keeping it if those CSI students didn't use it.

3) Sure, that's one reason, but that's not the only reason. The stop by Home Depot is not a stop on Goethals Road North anyway, so that's a moot point. The equivalent of that stop is the old stop on Forest and South Avenue and that stop got just as much people as the current stop does.

The X17J and the X30 do not go to the same place (X17J goes to East Midtown and the X30 goes to West Midtown) so there is no need to re-route X30s over to the X17J simply because of overflow because if folks were still using the X17Js then sending the X30s over there wouldn't make a difference. You speak as if folks will just jump on the first bus that comes first, and in this case, that does not happen. Plenty of the X30s come by and folks will wait for the X17J, and it's not like the X17Js suddenly became less crowded either. Of course having both buses stop there benefits them because it gives them a backup plan if they so choose to use it, even if their backup is more inconvenient, but something is better than nothing.

4) Quite frankly X17J riders have been throwing a fit because they say that their commutes are already long enough and they want some of those northern stops cut out. I don't blame them quite frankly.

1) And as of right now, you have seniors near the SIE who can't get around. Even after the extension, they'd only have rush hour service.

And yeah, they may carry air, but they'll be carrying less air than the S54 and S66 would on the weekends, I can tell you that much.

So like I'm saying, the extension is as necessary (in terms of network coverage) as the S54 and S66 are. The only difference is that the service was never operated.

2) Yeah, and I'm saying it isn't that congested.

If anything, it would be the people west of CSI who should be concerned about reliability, but what can you do? Today, the S92 came 11 minutes late and 7 of those minutes were spent trying to make that left turn from Victory Blvd into CSI (and I'm telling you that that left turn is more congestion than you'll encounter in any other part of that stretch on Victory Blvd)

Think about it: It's just a bottleneck that's about 3/4 of a mile long. On one end, you have the SIE and the service roads, so the traffic clears up there, and on the other end, you have Richmond Avenue, which again is wide enough to handle the traffic. Richmond Avenue, Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue, and South Avenue don't have any significant problems, so I don't see what's the problem.

Plus, like I said, since this will at least start out as a coverage service, it can have 30 minute headways during rush hour, so CSI students are pretty much guaranteed a bus to Brooklyn every 30 minutes (the short-turn buses)

And it serves CSI students, but the last time I checked, not all of them live east of CSI. Some are transferring to the Richmond Avenue routes (they'd tag along for the ride), and some live around the SIE.

3) What are you talking about? I never said Home Depot was by Goethals Road North.

And yes, the X30 does help. Think about it: If you know X17J buses are going to be bypassing you, and you're going to have to wait 15 minutes for a bus, it's easier to just take the X30 if it comes, and then transfer at the other end of the trip.

4) Again, where are the sources that say they're complaining? Because it's so terrible to have to spend an extra 3 minutes on a comfortable bus, right?

3) What are you talking about? I never said Home Depot was by Goethals Road North.

Ay yay yay... Ding dong! Is anybody home?? ;) Neither did I. My point was that there is no bus stop after Goethals Road North & South Avenue as opposed to the stops on Forest Avenue after South Avenue. Believe it or not I do see people getting on at the first stop there on Forest before the movie theatre, so apparently the stop in the morning was being used/

And yes, the X30 does help. Think about it: If you know X17J buses are going to be bypassing you, and you're going to have to wait 15 minutes for a bus, it's easier to just take the X30 if it comes, and then transfer at the other end of the trip.

Yeah, but we're talking about express bus riders and many of them are perfectly fine sitting in traffic or waiting so that they don't have to take the subway. I'm a perfect example. If I take the X12, I'll just stay on until I reach Midtown even though it takes longer. Less stress.

4) Again, where are the sources that say they're complaining? Because it's so terrible to have to spend an extra 3 minutes on a comfortable bus, right?

Not NOW... I was talking about when they first made the re-route.... B)

1) Ay yay yay... Ding dong! Is anybody home?? ;) Neither did I. My point was that there is no bus stop after Goethals Road North & South Avenue as opposed to the stops on Forest Avenue after South Avenue. Believe it or not I do see people getting on at the first stop there on Forest before the movie theatre, so apparently the stop in the morning was being used/

2) Yeah, but we're talking about express bus riders and many of them are perfectly fine sitting in traffic or waiting so that they don't have to take the subway. I'm a perfect example. If I take the X12, I'll just stay on until I reach Midtown even though it takes longer. Less stress.

3) Not NOW... I was talking about when they first made the re-route.... B)

1) According to the MTA, there were an average of zero people waiting at that stop. (I remember reading a news report mentioning that). I mean that stop's in the middle of nowhere: There are a handful of houses and a mobile home in that area, but that's it.

In any case, whatever few people got on by Home Depot could still walk down to Forest Avenue/South Avenue. Or if the MTA really wanted to appease them, they could put an X30 stop on Goethals Road North just before it reaches Forest Avenue.

2) But SI express riders are different. In the other boroughs, if somebody was willing to make a transfer, they'd probably just take the local bus to the subway. Here in SI, there are plenty of people using the express bus just because it's faster, not really because of its comfort, and they'll be willing to make a transfer, especially if it's towards the end of the trip.

3) That's what I meant. Back in 2007 or whenever they had it make that extra stop, there were no X17J riders complaining about extra stops, at least not formally.

Plus, it's literally one extra stop and one extra traffic light (the entrance to the SIE is after Lambert Street), so they're really not adding any time. Since there usually aren't a lot of seats anyway, I'm sure some bus drivers just go straight onto the SIE.

As far as adding onto a long commute, here's an idea:

Split the X17J up into one route from Huguenot to Midtown via the West Shore Expressway, and another route from the ETC to Midtown via Richmond Avenue.

The service on both portions of the route would be reduced slightly:

* Headways south of the ETC would be increased from 10 minutes to 15 minutes (the people wait longer, but they save time on the bus itself).

* Headways north of the ETC would be increased from 5 minutes to every 8 minutes. As it is now, during the heart of rush hour, the passengers on the northern section of the X17J are served only by every other bus anyway.

At the tail end of rush hour, all buses would run from Huguenot to Midtown via Richmond Avenue.

The advantage is that overall, trip times are reduced. The only people that wouldn't benefit are those near New Springville, since as of now, when the bus has no more seats, it just goes nonstop, whereas under this plan, most buses would still have seats and they'd have to make every stop.

As far as adding onto a long commute, here's an idea:

Split the X17J up into one route from Huguenot to Midtown via the West Shore Expressway, and another route from the ETC to Midtown via Richmond Avenue.

The service on both portions of the route would be reduced slightly:

* Headways south of the ETC would be increased from 10 minutes to 15 minutes (the people wait longer, but they save time on the bus itself).

* Headways north of the ETC would be increased from 5 minutes to every 8 minutes. As it is now, during the heart of rush hour, the passengers on the northern section of the X17J are served only by every other bus anyway.

At the tail end of rush hour, all buses would run from Huguenot to Midtown via Richmond Avenue.

The advantage is that overall, trip times are reduced. The only people that wouldn't benefit are those near New Springville, since as of now, when the bus has no more seats, it just goes nonstop, whereas under this plan, most buses would still have seats and they'd have to make every stop.

Uhh... No.... I think the X17J is fine just the way it is.

1) According to the MTA, there were an average of zero people waiting at that stop. (I remember reading a news report mentioning that). I mean that stop's in the middle of nowhere: There are a handful of houses and a mobile home in that area, but that's it.

I never said that there were tons of folks at the stop, but you did get a few stragglers here and there. It was always odd to get folks at that stop since as you said it is rather desolate over there with very few houses. It's really like the boonies over there... Mobile homes... Sounds more like Alabama somewhere.... :eek:

In any case, whatever few people got on by Home Depot could still walk down to Forest Avenue/South Avenue. Or if the MTA really wanted to appease them, they could put an X30 stop on Goethals Road North just before it reaches Forest Avenue.

I don't see where... Most of the Goethals Road North over there is weeds anyway...

2) But SI express riders are different. In the other boroughs, if somebody was willing to make a transfer, they'd probably just take the local bus to the subway. Here in SI, there are plenty of people using the express bus just because it's faster, not really because of its comfort, and they'll be willing to make a transfer, especially if it's towards the end of the trip.

That's who I'm referring to and no they wouldn't. Their transfer is getting off of the bus and into a car. You have very few of them that I see using those transfer points to transfer to other express buses. Before the cuts you had a lot more folks transferring, between express buses, but not so many transfer now and in fact transferring is much more common in the morning with the express buses than in the evening. Folks generally don't want to deal with the hassle, especially after a long day at work. Those who need to transfer do so mainly because it was easier to just transfer on Staten Island than in the city.

3) That's what I meant. Back in 2007 or whenever they had it make that extra stop, there were no X17J riders complaining about extra stops, at least not formally.

They were complaining because I remember reading about it on SILive a few years ago. It just wasn't heard about because they didn't go wild about it, but I'm sure some of them would rather not make stops going further north. Not just that, but some of those folks on the South Shore don't care for having to ride with folks from the North Shore, though some of them won't admit it out and out. They'll just say that the route is too long. I see how some of them look at that last stop when blacks get on like they're disgusted or something. The X17J isn't as bad as the X1 though, not by a mile. I see it on the X1 quite a bit. If they see a black person or something out of the "norm" (in other words non white) they start looking like they've never seen a non-white person before. I'm thinking to myself, okay fine so they're not white, but Jesus. It's like they have no sort of cultural training or something or tolerance for that matter.

One time on the X1, a few years back, a huge argument took place. One X1 was late and eventually caught up and then as we reached the last few stops Downtown before heading to the tunnel, this young white chick gets on and she has some black friends. The bus was all white of course and they get on and of course they stuck out like a sore thumb. I was looking too because I was sort of curious as to where they were going. This Italian guy behind me just exploded because the blacks came over there and he didn't want to sit near them. He exploded on the white chick and told her to shut up because she sensed what was going on. Anyway after a heated exchange and some vulgarity, etc., he demanded to be let off so as not to sit over there by them and got on the other X1 which was empty. I mean granted I don't like sitting near thuggish looking types either if I see them get on the X10 and I'll move, but I don't make it so obvious or act like I've never saw a person of color before. I tell you though, I would not want to live on the South Shore. Those folks are so ignorant and backwards, and this is coming from someone who can be conservative at times. We have it on the North Shore express buses to some extent where folks clearly pick and choose where they sit to avoid certain folks, but it is so obvious on the X1 since there are so few minorities that ride it. Funny thing is the X2 and X9 are majority white by a mile and there is less hostility. In other words folks seem a bit more educated and maybe that's because those buses go to New Dorp. You have your knuckleheads of course but fewer compared to the X1, especially considering that those buses are over 95% white just about all of the time. I rarely see any minorities let alone blacks. Maybe one black if that.

1) Uhh... No.... I think the X17J is fine just the way it is.

2) I don't see where... Most of the Goethals Road North over there is weeds anyway...

3) That's who I'm referring to and no they wouldn't. Their transfer is getting off of the bus and into a car. You have very few of them that I see using those transfer points to transfer to other express buses. Before the cuts you had a lot more folks transferring, between express buses, but not so many transfer now and in fact transferring is much more common in the morning with the express buses than in the evening. Folks generally don't want to deal with the hassle, especially after a long day at work. Those who need to transfer do so mainly because it was easier to just transfer on Staten Island than in the city.

4) They were complaining because I remember reading about it on SILive a few years ago. It just wasn't heard about because they didn't go wild about it, but I'm sure some of them would rather not make stops going further north. Not just that, but some of those folks on the South Shore don't care for having to ride with folks from the North Shore, though some of them won't admit it out and out. They'll just say that the route is too long. I see how some of them look at that last stop when blacks get on like they're disgusted or something. The X17J isn't as bad as the X1 though, not by a mile. I see it on the X1 quite a bit. If they see a black person or something out of the "norm" (in other words non white) they start looking like they've never seen a non-white person before. I'm thinking to myself, okay fine so they're not white, but Jesus. It's like they have no sort of cultural training or something or tolerance for that matter.

1) If you're on the South Shore, you have to sit through a whole bunch of stops along Richmond Avenue instead of going straight onto the WSE. I think a lot of people in that area just drive to the X22/23/24 because they're faster, so if you think about it, splitting the X17J into faster parts could work.

2) There's nothing saying they can't build a sidewalk. The stop by South Avenue/Lisk Avenue used to be full of weeds, so they cut out a section and poured some concrete there. Now that I think about it, it must've had something to do with X30 riders complaining. Before that, people would just use it to get off the S46, so they weren't waiting in the mud like express bus riders would.

3) But this is in the morning, when people are more willing to transfer to speed their trip. And I wasn't talking about express bus->express bus transfers: I was talking about express bus->subway transfers.

4) Well yeah, anybody would complain if their trip was slowed down. The question is how much.

As for the North Shore vs. South Shore, there are obviously more minorities getting on north of Victory Blvd, but most of the riders are White. It's just the difference of 1 Black person getting on or no Black people getting on.

I mean, there aren't really any Blacks in any area along the X17 route, except for little pockets here and there (for instance, those condos are around 35% Black according to my rough calculations). But wholistically, you're not going to get any significant numbers of Blacks until you get north of Forest Avenue, which the X17J doesn't serve.

As for the X1 vs. the New Dorp buses, you're right that it has to do with the fact that the X1 goes pretty far into the South Shore, and the Black population in the areas south of New Dorp is less than 1%. In New Dorp, it's marginally higher (it's just a couple of percentage points, but there are more Hispanics), so they're more used to seeing minorities in their neighborhood and less likely to give them any sort of stare.

1) If you're on the South Shore, you have to sit through a whole bunch of stops along Richmond Avenue instead of going straight onto the WSE. I think a lot of people in that area just drive to the X22/23/24 because they're faster, so if you think about it, splitting the X17J into faster parts could work.

Well that could be but the problem is that folks on the South Shore have complained for years about the X22, X23 and X24 being unreliable, but the X23 and X24 especially, citing the fact that Atlantic Express has not been fulfilling their commitment to run service according on those lines for the (MTA). That's one reason why folks have been clamoring to see if and when the (MTA) will take those lines back again. I think the hope was that with Charleston opening up that they would have the space to do so, but Charleston only provided space for the overflow from the other depots.

2) There's nothing saying they can't build a sidewalk. The stop by South Avenue/Lisk Avenue used to be full of weeds, so they cut out a section and poured some concrete there. Now that I think about it, it must've had something to do with X30 riders complaining. Before that, people would just use it to get off the S46, so they weren't waiting in the mud like express bus riders would.

Of course. I noticed that also. I only see express bus riders waiting there anyway and not many, but I would imagine that some of them are from those condos or the houses over there and believe me an express bus rider is not going to wait in the mud for an express bus. I get extremely cranky if I have to wait for the express bus in the street when it snows a lot but that's very rare because we all shovel where I'm at in the West Brighton. Believe me we do make a stink to the politicians about it and the get on the (MTA) to address it. We had a stop there on Clove and Bement that hadn't been shoveled during the last big storm and people were pissed about it on the X14 and eventually after some complaining it was addressed. I'm not sure who paid for the sidewalk, but perhaps Molinaro took the funds from his funding and did it. I believe it goes under his "Beautification Plan" of Staten Island. His funding could've paid for the new sidewalk put down over at Targee and Narrows Road North where the X10, X14 and X15 stop at because I used to get so annoyed if I got off there and it was snowy or raining with the mud all over the place messing up my Italian boots and such. :mad::mad:

3) But this is in the morning, when people are more willing to transfer to speed their trip. And I wasn't talking about express bus->express bus transfers: I was talking about express bus->subway transfers.

Well then you should've said that. B) Yes, people are more willing to if it means less time sitting in traffic. Quite frankly that's the main reason. Me I used to transfer also, but what I do now is just get a Midtown bus on Staten Island so I don't have to deal with the subway and aggravation.

4) Well yeah, anybody would complain if their trip was slowed down. The question is how much.

As for the North Shore vs. South Shore, there are obviously more minorities getting on north of Victory Blvd, but most of the riders are White. It's just the difference of 1 Black person getting on or no Black people getting on.

I mean, there aren't really any Blacks in any area along the X17 route, except for little pockets here and there (for instance, those condos are around 35% Black according to my rough calculations). But wholistically, you're not going to get any significant numbers of Blacks until you get north of Forest Avenue, which the X17J doesn't serve.

As for the X1 vs. the New Dorp buses, you're right that it has to do with the fact that the X1 goes pretty far into the South Shore, and the Black population in the areas south of New Dorp is less than 1%. In New Dorp, it's marginally higher (it's just a couple of percentage points, but there are more Hispanics), so they're more used to seeing minorities in their neighborhood and less likely to give them any sort of stare.

True, but where do those blacks come from that get on over at Goethals Road North and Richmond and Goethals Road North and South Avenue? :confused:

When I get on further down on Richmond to take the X17J it is all white for the most part and maybe an Asian if that.

As for the X1, even so they're just so obvious with it that's unbelievable. It's like it's 2011 not 1811. They're more racist and ignorant than folks in the South! :eek::eek: Some of them are so nasty that they don't even want other Whites near them. Some of them will just block their seat so no one can sit there. I mean many express bus riders are snobs to some extent, but those folks on the X1 are some of the most rudest, ignorant backwards folks that I've seen and it's quite disgusting. That's another reason that I'm moving from Staten Island. Too many ignorant folks on this island. Riverdale is a more educated, cultured community.

1) Well that could be but the problem is that folks on the South Shore have complained for years about the X22, X23 and X24 being unreliable, but the X23 and X24 especially, citing the fact that Atlantic Express has not been fulfilling their commitment to run service according on those lines for the (MTA). That's one reason why folks have been clamoring to see if and when the (MTA) will take those lines back again. I think the hope was that with Charleston opening up that they would have the space to do so, but Charleston only provided space for the overflow from the other depots.

2) Of course. I noticed that also. I only see express bus riders waiting there anyway and not many, but I would imagine that some of them are from those condos or the houses over there and believe me an express bus rider is not going to wait in the mud for an express bus.

3) Well then you should've said that. B) Yes, people are more willing to if it means less time sitting in traffic. Quite frankly that's the main reason. Me I used to transfer also, but what I do now is just get a Midtown bus on Staten Island so I don't have to deal with the subway and aggravation.

4) True, but where do those blacks come from that get on over at Goethals Road North and Richmond and Goethals Road North and South Avenue? :confused:

When I get on further down on Richmond to take the X17J it is all white for the most part and maybe an Asian if that.

As for the X1, even so they're just so obvious with it that's unbelievable. It's like it's 2011 not 1811. They're more racist and ignorant than folks in the South! :eek::eek: Some of them are so nasty that they don't even want other Whites near them. Some of them will just block their seat so no one can sit there. I mean many express bus riders are snobs to some extent, but those folks on the X1 are some of the most rudest, ignorant backwards folks that I've seen and it's quite disgusting. That's another reason that I'm moving from Staten Island. Too many ignorant folks on this island. Riverdale is a more educated, cultured community.

1) I think the MTA feels that it'll be cheaper to contract out the X23/X24 than to run it themselves. Now that I think about it, I don't even know if the MTA is the one paying Atlantic Express: It might be the city. In that case, they're saving even more money because it's coming out of the city's pocket not their own.

2) Well, I'm sure there's plenty of other areas on SI where the people have to wait in the weeds, so hopefully those'll end up getting fixed.

3) Well, at this point you understand what I was saying, which is all that matters.

4) Well, like I said those condos at South Avenue/Goethals Road North are around 35% Black, so I'm sure any Blacks you see would be coming from there. As far as Richmond Avenue goes, I guess they're just the ones living in the neighborhood. I could've sworn it was mostly Whites getting on there (whenever I see the X17J drop off people, it's mostly Whites getting off and walking under the SIE).

But I guess it isn't out of the question that you'd see Blacks getting on there. According to the Census B) the Black population in the area is 13% in the areas just north of the SIE, and 19% by Forest Avenue, so I'm sure you'd see a Black person or two getting on, but it would still be mostly Whites.

As far as the South Shore goes, it's amazing that people can live in NYC and still act like that, even if their neighborhood is mostly White.

1) I think the MTA feels that it'll be cheaper to contract out the X23/X24 than to run it themselves. Now that I think about it, I don't even know if the MTA is the one paying Atlantic Express: It might be the city. In that case, they're saving even more money because it's coming out of the city's pocket not their own.

No, the (MTA) pays Atlantic Express to run those routes and believe me... The politicians would prefer that the (MTA) take over these routes in hopes that they would become more reliable. Whether they pay for the routes entirely I can't confirm, but I do know that they pay at least a portion of the costs to Atlantic to run the two lines.

2) Well, I'm sure there's plenty of other areas on SI where the people have to wait in the weeds, so hopefully those'll end up getting fixed.

There's more I think on the South Shore especially, and it is something that has been noted to the (MTA) to address because we have very few shelters on the island and many bus stops with no sidewalk or place to wait which is obviously dangerous. :mad::mad:

4) Well, like I said those condos at South Avenue/Goethals Road North are around 35% Black, so I'm sure any Blacks you see would be coming from there. As far as Richmond Avenue goes, I guess they're just the ones living in the neighborhood. I could've sworn it was mostly Whites getting on there (whenever I see the X17J drop off people, it's mostly Whites getting off and walking under the SIE).

But I guess it isn't out of the question that you'd see Blacks getting on there. According to the Census B) the Black population in the area is 13% in the areas just north of the SIE, and 19% by Forest Avenue, so I'm sure you'd see a Black person or two getting on, but it would still be mostly Whites.

As far as the South Shore goes, it's amazing that people can live in NYC and still act like that, even if their neighborhood is mostly White.

Yeah, well I can see why it would be 35% Black. Those condos over there are DIRT cheap! I think they can't be anymore than $140,000 to 150,000, maybe even less for a one bedroom because of the recession. I mean that area is sort of far out and not really near to anything in terms of walkability, plus you've got Mariners' Harbor right there so it's completely understandable.

1) No, the (MTA) pays Atlantic Express to run those routes and believe me... The politicians would prefer that the (MTA) take over these routes in hopes that they would become more reliable. Whether they pay for the routes entirely I can't confirm, but I do know that they pay at least a portion of the costs to Atlantic to run the two lines.

2) There's more I think on the South Shore especially, and it is something that has been noted to the (MTA) to address because we have very few shelters on the island and many bus stops with no sidewalk or place to wait which is obviously dangerous. :mad::mad:

3) Yeah, well I can see why it would be 35% Black. Those condos over there are DIRT cheap! I think they can't be anymore than $140,000 to 150,000, maybe even less for a one bedroom because of the recession. I mean that area is sort of far out and not really near to anything in terms of walkability, plus you've got Mariners' Harbor right there so it's completely understandable.

1) The point is that it's cheaper to contract those routes out to a private company.

I wonder if they can allow Atlantic Express to use the MTA's buses and store them at Charleston. It would save them the expense of having to deadhead all the way to Port Richmond and probably make the buses more reliable. Of course, there'd probably be union issues to work out.

2) I called 311 to request a bus stop shelter at the southbound stop at Richmond Avenue/Monsey Place and also around the corner at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue. For the first one they said it wasn't necessary (I don't see how. It's a major transfer point and probably one of the busiest stops on SI). For the second one they never got back to me.

3) I calculated the demographics (the numbers add up to over 100 because of rounding):

White: 31.7%

Black: 27.7%

Hispanic: 24.5%

Asian: 12.8%

All Other: 4.3%

In any case, I think I remember something saying they were $289,000, though it may have been for a larger unit. It's not that unwalkable (Forest Avenue is less than 10 minutes away), and it's not close enough to Mariners' Harbor to really see any crime (considering that that particular section of Mariners' Harbor has the projects)

1) The point is that it's cheaper to contract those routes out to a private company.

I get your point. My point is that they haven't been fulfilling their part of the deal so the (MTA) should take over especially if that means that the routes will become more reliable.

2) I called 311 to request a bus stop shelter at the southbound stop at Richmond Avenue/Monsey Place and also around the corner at Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue. For the first one they said it wasn't necessary (I don't see how. It's a major transfer point and probably one of the busiest stops on SI). For the second one they never got back to me.

Yeah, but they already have one on Richmond & Forest. I agree that one on the other side isn't needed because the only folks that use it heavily are the X30 riders in the morning. After that it isn't that heavily used. The one across the street however is heavily used. The problem with Staten Island is that the sidewalks are so damn narrow that it makes it difficult to place shelters.

3) I calculated the demographics (the numbers add up to over 100 because of rounding):

White: 31.7%

Black: 27.7%

Hispanic: 24.5%

Asian: 12.8%

All Other: 4.3%

In any case, I think I remember something saying they were $289,000, though it may have been for a larger unit. It's not that unwalkable (Forest Avenue is less than 10 minutes away), and it's not close enough to Mariners' Harbor to really see any crime (considering that that particular section of Mariners' Harbor has the projects)

It's not that unwalkable, but there is certainly nothing great over there, not unless you leave tons of weeds everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if anybody stores dead bodies over there as I'm passing by on the X30. lol As for $289,000... LOL You must've been reading things because there is no way in hell that those condos cost that much unless they're like a 4 bedroom condo or something.

Archived