R39-The subway Car Never made

VWM

R39 was the proposed contract number for lightweight subway/elevated New York City Subway cars.[1] They were intended to replace old equipment running on the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line in Brooklyn and the IRT Third Avenue Line in The Bronx.

The cars, which were to have been built to IRT dimensions, were to be a smaller, lighter-weight version of the R38 car, and were to have been ordered in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Portions of the elevated structures of the lines for which these cars were intended were built in the late 19th century and had never been strengthened to accommodate the standard subway cars used on all other lines.

The Budd Company used a possible outline of this car as U.S. Patent 3,151,538.

The cars were never ordered as it was determined that it would be possible to discontinue and dismantle the lines where the R39 would be used. The Myrtle Avenue Line south of the junction with the BMT Jamaica Line was discontinued in 1969, and the remaining Third Avenue Line in 1973.

The R39 would be a universal-MTA car, running on both IRT and BMT....

But unfortunately the (8) and (MJ) train were lost to low ridership:(

rather have had those unsafe ELs torn down than have new cars running on them that would have falled down to teh street and killed a lot of people, then having the thing torn down anyway

What made them unsafe, why would trains fall off those els and not others?

What made them unsafe, why would trains fall off those els and not others?

I heard the 3rd Ave, Myrtle AVe, and the Culver ELs had serious structural problems and it was cheaper to get rid of them than try to save them.

what I mean is the EL itself would crumble like the West Side Highway did in 73

Guest lance25

If I'm not mistaken, all the elevated lines were structurally sound when they were torn down. The problem was that the (MTA)'s predecessors didn't want to strengthen the structures to handle the then-new redbirds, probably because lines like Third Avenue elevated the Myrtle Avenue line south of Broadway didn't directly connect to any Manhattan mainlines.

I heard the 3rd Ave, Myrtle AVe, and the Culver ELs had serious structural problems and it was cheaper to get rid of them than try to save them.

what I mean is the EL itself would crumble like the West Side Highway did in 73

That was TA BS, they didn't want them because they needed their own fleets. While they did need some work, they would have kept alot of flexibility as far as routing goes. Just look at the Culver El, that was never rebuilt and it's in good condition.

A bit off-topic:

1a) Were the BMT elevated lines originally built with enough space for the wider cars, or were they trimmed for them?

1b) Was the BMT Myrtle line always wide enough, because I can't imagine a time when both the (M) and (MM) shared the same platforms if the (M) ran wider cars and the (MM) narrower cars.

A bit off-topic:

1a) Were the BMT elevated lines originally built with enough space for the wider cars, or were they trimmed for them?

1b) Was the BMT Myrtle line always wide enough, because I can't imagine a time when both the (M) and (MM) shared the same platforms if the (M) ran wider cars and the (MM) narrower cars.

Never seen that before!

But yeah, it would look just like that; except that the windows would be the same as the R36. (That was from right before the R32-36, where they were apparently planning stainless steel, but had not adopted the new-style picture windows yet. It's kind of like Budd's Zephyr experimental unit that ran on the BMT in the 30's and 40's).

Never seen that before!

But yeah, it would look just like that; except that the windows would be the same as the R36. (That was from right before the R32-36, where they were apparently planning stainless steel, but had not adopted the new-style picture windows yet. It's kind of like Budd's Zephyr experimental unit that ran on the BMT in the 30's and 40's).

Archived