Politics and car assignments

6 Lexington Ave

Yes politics can come into play with regards to assignments.

No, politics is almost never the only reason for an assignment.

No, politics is not behind almost any assignment railfans claim they are behind.

And no, the C line does not have old cars because 207 is where old cars are retired from. The R44s went to Concourse Pitkin and Coney Island for storage after retirement, many of which came from 207.

I do not think politics play a role. On the R160s, they are not able to run on the (A) because of the Rockaway Power Issue, if I am not mistaken. The (C) is a part-time line and thus does not get newer equipment. The (2) and (5) got the R142s due to the constant switching of trains at Flatbush. The (4) and (6) got the R142/As due to the crowding issue on the Lex.

There is no power issue... T/A just lied. So what if the (C) is part time? Look at the (:P it's part time and it runs R68's. Your info is totally wrong. No, the (2) and (5) did not get R142's cause of constant switching at Flatbush. No the (4) and (6) did not get R142A's cause of overcrowding. If it's because of overcrowding then why are the R142A's from the (6) going on the (7), and R62A's are going back on the Lex? You got to think for a minute here!

I do not think politics play a role. On the R160s, they are not able to run on the (A) because of the Rockaway Power Issue, if I am not mistaken. The (C) is a part-time line and thus does not get newer equipment. The (2) and (5) got the R142s due to the constant switching of trains at Flatbush. The (4) and (6) got the R142/As due to the crowding issue on the Lex.

There is no power issue... T/A just lied. So what if the (C) is part time? Look at the (:P it's part time and it runs R68's. Your info is totally wrong. No, the (2) and (5) did not get R142's cause of constant switching at Flatbush. No the (4) and (6) did not get R142A's cause of overcrowding. If it's because of overcrowding then why are the R142A's from the (6) going on the (7), and R62A's are going back on the Lex? You got to think for a minute here!

Yards are the best reasons for why certain trains are at certain places:

(2)(5) both have yards in the Bronx and since they share the same route in Brooklyn and the Bronx, it makes sense they both use the same trains. R62As do not have electronic side signs, so crews would have to manually change all the signs which is time consuming especially if they only have less than a minute to take an arriving train back out of the station.

(;) has R68s because it's based from CI yard and those are the only trains along with the R68A and R160A/Bs there. So it's not like they can use anything older than that.

(A)(C) uses R32s which can be arranged as 8 or 10-car trains and both shares the same route.

(4) probably got more R142As to push out the remaining R62s over to the (3) and in turn have the (3) push out the remaining R62As to the (1) and (7).

As I said before, R62As are going back to the Lex since the Lex is giving up R142As to the (7). Thus this is a direct swap.

Yards are the best reasons for why certain trains are at certain places:

(2)(5) both have yards in the Bronx and since they share the same route in Brooklyn and the Bronx, it makes sense they both use the same trains. R62As do not have electronic side signs, so crews would have to manually change all the signs which is time consuming especially if they only have less than a minute to take an arriving train back out of the station.

(;) has R68s because it's based from CI yard and those are the only trains along with the R68A and R160A/Bs there. So it's not like they can use anything older than that.

(A)(C) uses R32s which can be arranged as 8 or 10-car trains and both shares the same route.

(4) probably got more R142As to push out the remaining R62s over to the (3) and in turn have the (3) push out the remaining R62As to the (1) and (7).

As I said before, R62As are going back to the Lex since the Lex is giving up R142As to the (7). Thus this is a direct swap.

Politics play somewhat of a role in car assignments.

As far as service pattern routing, operations planning determines that based on observed ridership patterns and customer service surveys.

Bloomberg had nothing to do with NTT's going on the (6). He did, however, have something to do with the supplemental order of R142A cars going to the (4) as opposed to a west side line.

You know, you have a great point there. I constantly wonder what will happen if the East Siders get the R62As. Not to be political, but I do not know why East Siders would complain about the R62As. They have Air Conditioning for the summer, which you could not say about the Redbirds and at least they are not falling apart structurally like the Redbirds.

Politics play somewhat of a role in car assignments.

As far as service pattern routing, operations planning determines that based on observed ridership patterns and customer service surveys.

Bloomberg had nothing to do with NTT's going on the (6). He did, however, have something to do with the supplemental order of R142A cars going to the (4) as opposed to a west side line.

You know, you have a great point there. I constantly wonder what will happen if the East Siders get the R62As. Not to be political, but I do not know why East Siders would complain about the R62As. They have Air Conditioning for the summer, which you could not say about the Redbirds and at least they are not falling apart structurally like the Redbirds.

Archived