68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

77th, 86th, and 96th streets are three of the safest stations around

All these people want is to complain to block something they don't "like". There is no law against people being homeless or smelling bad on public sidewalk. If these people are worried that's going to bring "crime" then they really are retarded because it hasn't brought any at 77th or 86th.

Not to mention all THREE of those stations score very low on homeless population in general - the homeless all sleep in the stations north of 103rd, the Nostrand Ave. line to Flatbush, Grand Army Plaza...they don't sleep in the upper east side stations because when they do they get caught and kicked out. The stations are well monitored and if it does bring in an influx of homeless people they'll be out immediately.

The station is highly overcrowded and the one entrance is not sufficient for good passenger flow. However unlike 77th and 86th Streets, which have similar problems, the platform is actually wide enough to do something about it.

These NIMBYs don't want to "work with" the MTA to solve the problem and find something that makes everyone happy...because they will never be happy...they just don't want their perceived property values to go down. 1% thinking at its finest. Throw 10 grand at each of them to shut their pie holes and I'd bet you they will (I'm not advocating this - I'm just using it to show where their priorities are).

Yeah, SURE they don't. That's why I see a bunch of homeless folks right on 5th Avenue sleeping and hanging out. I must be seeing things... You are so in denial and in defense of this bully agency to promote your "elitist" theory that it's ridiculous. If you could stop thinking about class for once and just about a community then perhaps you could better understand their fight.

All new work must be made ADA accessible, that's how the law works. There's a difference between restoring a station platform or an old entrance, and building a brand new one. A brand new station entrance/exit would have to be ADA accessible by law.

Well that's news to me. I mean they basically just about took down the entire structures along the Brighton Line with some stations and yet they couldn't make those stations ADA accessible? A load of BS. Okay, fine so it's the law, but still. They don't have to put it there at 69th street. They can look for the other places, but clearly they want to cause a problem. I guess you forgot about that little rapist/sexual predator that was attacking woman on the Upper East Side for weeks and running back to the subway for his escape... Yeah, but they're just elitists... Yeah right. :)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these people want is to complain to block something they don't "like". There is no law against people being homeless or smelling bad on public sidewalk. If these people are worried that's going to bring "crime" then they really are retarded because it hasn't brought any at 77th or 86th.

Not to mention all THREE of those stations score very low on homeless population in general - the homeless all sleep in the stations north of 103rd, the Nostrand Ave. line to Flatbush, Grand Army Plaza...they don't sleep in the upper east side stations because when they do they get caught and kicked out. The stations are well monitored and if it does bring in an influx of homeless people they'll be out immediately.

The station is highly overcrowded and the one entrance is not sufficient for good passenger flow. However unlike 77th and 86th Streets, which have similar problems, the platform is actually wide enough to do something about it.

These NIMBYs don't want to "work with" the MTA to solve the problem and find something that makes everyone happy...because they will never be happy...they just don't want their perceived property values to go down. 1% thinking at its finest. Throw 10 grand at each of them to shut their pie holes and I'd bet you they will (I'm not advocating this - I'm just using it to show where their priorities are).

Yeah I know there's barely any crime around there, but especially on 77th Street there could be a bum or two hanging around outside the entrance, which is just absolutely disgusting and adding an entrance at 69th will generate the same thing.

Yeah I know there's barely any crime around there, but especially on 77th Street there could be a bum or two hanging around outside the entrance, which is just absolutely disgusting and adding an entrance at 69th will generate the same thing.

Oh I have enough of rich snobs. You guys only run around bossing people like you are the boss. This has happened to me while I was in Brooklyn Bridge Park, and a Macy's. You rich people think because you have so much money you can label us poor and dumb. Well I will tell you rich snobs this "SHUT THE F**K UP I HAVE ENOUGH OF YOUR STUPID A** RANTS. YOU THINK YOU ARE ALL THAT WITH YOUR DAMN F**KING MONEY?"

Oh I have enough of rich snobs. You guys only run around bossing people like you are the boss. This has happened to me while I was in Brooklyn Bridge Park, and a Macy's. You rich people think because you have so much money you can label us poor and dumb. Well I will tell you rich snobs this "SHUT THE F**K UP I HAVE ENOUGH OF YOUR STUPID A** RANTS. YOU THINK YOU ARE ALL THAT WITH YOUR DAMN F**KING MONEY?"

Yeah, SURE they don't. That's why I see a bunch of homeless folks right on 5th Avenue sleeping and hanging out. I must be seeing things...

Homeless people hang out on 5th Avenue because of the park, not the subway.

You are so in denial and in defense of this bully agency to promote your "elitist" theory that it's ridiculous. If you could stop thinking about class for once and just about a community then perhaps you could better understand their fight.

OK, so if they wanted to add a second entrance to the 138th Street/Grand Concourse station with ADA, and the community board fought it, you're telling me you think they'd get the same press?

It is absolutely elitist and it's only getting attention because the people whining have money. Huge double standard, and that doesn't fly with me.

Well that's news to me. I mean they basically just about took down the entire structures along the Brighton Line with some stations and yet they couldn't make those stations ADA accessible? A load of BS. Okay, fine so it's the law, but still.

The only part of that which matters, underlined.

They don't have to put it there at 69th street. They can look for the other places, but clearly they want to cause a problem.

Yes, that must be it. The greedy MTA must simply be trying to cause a problem. Never mind that the south end of that station is north of 67th street, and the north end is south of of 70th street - leaving only two streets for subway access: 68th, which has an entrance, and 69th, which does not.

Perhaps the MTA should build an entrance at 72nd street with a long, multimillion dollar tunnel walkway so as not to "offend" anyone since there's an unwritten NY City law that if you live on a street with a crosstown bus, the MTA can deface your neighborhood with subway entrances all they want. And the MTA therefore ought to place transit personnel in said tunnel at all times since it would clearly become a real homeless haven, which would be far worse than just building an ADA accessible entrance at 69th street.

Or not.

I guess you forgot about that little rapist/sexual predator that was attacking woman on the Upper East Side for weeks and running back to the subway for his escape... Yeah, but they're just elitists... Yeah right. :)

So your argument against doing something that will benefit thousands of riders and Hunter College students every single day, is...one person???

Maybe they should just close all the stations in Sunset Park until they catch that weird looking guy on the loose who's always on the news.

Yeah, SURE they don't. That's why I see a bunch of homeless folks right on 5th Avenue sleeping and hanging out. I must be seeing things...

You are so in denial and in defense of this bully agency to promote your "elitist" theory that it's ridiculous. If you could stop thinking about class for once and just about a community then perhaps you could better understand their fight.

OK, so if they wanted to add a second entrance to the 138th Street/Grand Concourse station with ADA, and the community board fought it, you're telling me you think they'd get the same press?

It is absolutely elitist and it's only getting attention because the people whining have money. Huge double standard, and that doesn't fly with me.

Well that's news to me. I mean they basically just about took down the entire structures along the Brighton Line with some stations and yet they couldn't make those stations ADA accessible? A load of BS. Okay, fine so it's the law, but still.

The only part of that which matters, underlined.

They don't have to put it there at 69th street. They can look for the other places, but clearly they want to cause a problem.

Yes, that must be it. The greedy MTA must simply be trying to cause a problem. Never mind that the south end of that station is north of 67th street, and the north end is south of of 70th street - leaving only two streets for subway access: 68th, which has an entrance, and 69th, which does not.

Perhaps the MTA should build an entrance at 72nd street with a long, multimillion dollar tunnel walkway so as not to "offend" anyone since there's an unwritten NY City law that if you live on a street with a crosstown bus, the MTA can deface your neighborhood with subway entrances all they want. And the MTA therefore ought to place transit personnel in said tunnel at all times since it would clearly become a real homeless haven, which would be far worse than just building an ADA accessible entrance at 69th street.

Or not.

I guess you forgot about that little rapist/sexual predator that was attacking woman on the Upper East Side for weeks and running back to the subway for his escape... Yeah, but they're just elitists... Yeah right. :)

So your argument against doing something that will benefit thousands of riders and Hunter College students every single day, is...one person???

Maybe they should just close all the stations in Sunset Park until they catch that weird looking guy on the loose who's always on the news.

There is no law against someone being homeless, smelling bad, or being what people subjectively call a "bum."

They are not allowed to "set up shop" anywhere in the system, outstretch on benches on trains or in stations.

Homeless people are a problem, but they have a right to use public space in accordance with the rules of the space. That goes for anywhere. Even 68th street. Even 69th street in its current layout WITHOUT a subway entrance.

Side note: When did so many fascist control freaks start posting on this place???

There is no law against someone being homeless, smelling bad, or being what people subjectively call a "bum."

They are not allowed to "set up shop" anywhere in the system, outstretch on benches on trains or in stations.

Homeless people are a problem, but they have a right to use public space in accordance with the rules of the space. That goes for anywhere. Even 68th street. Even 69th street in its current layout WITHOUT a subway entrance.

Side note: When did so many fascist control freaks start posting on this place???

I always used to be pro (MTA) when they were about to build something or rehabilitate, but after living next to construction site, I believe I have a "change of heart". It's easy to say that construction doesn't bother people when one lives miles away, but wait until (MTA) comes to your neighborhood with massive consrtuction plans, your reaction wouldn't differ much from residents' of upper east side. The only point that outrages me is that they want to keep their area "isolated", the desire is understandable, but not in context of New York City. If you want isolation, then Vermont is waiting for you. It's just impossible to keep area in isolation while still being sorrounded by other neighborhoods, even today the only thing that actually separates them is the restrictive covenant.

I always used to be pro (MTA) when they were about to build something or rehabilitate, but after living next to construction site, I believe I have a "change of heart". It's easy to say that construction doesn't bother people when one lives miles away, but wait until (MTA) comes to your neighborhood with massive consrtuction plans, your reaction wouldn't differ much from residents' of upper east side. The only point that outrages me is that they want to keep their area "isolated", the desire is understandable, but not in context of New York City. If you want isolation, then Vermont is waiting for you. It's just impossible to keep area in isolation while still being sorrounded by other neighborhoods, even today the only thing that actually separates them is the restrictive covenant.

My biggest problem is the way that money talks and BS walks.

You didn't hear a peep of complaining about Brighton Beach rehabs, about station rehabilitations on upper Broadway at Dyckman and 225th, or any complaints about the people at Whitlock/Morrison-Sound View, and now Elder/St. Lawrence about having to take a shuttle bus to get to their routine stops.

But god forbid someone with MONEY has a problem with anything, all you are going to hear is their incessant whining all over the media because they think their complaints are more IMPORTANT than everyone else's.

They need to get in the back of the line and deal with it like everyone else does. These are not legitimate complaints. I agree with your Vermont comment. New York City is not a cluster of gated communities surrounded by slums. It's a city. No one deserves special treatment. Especially not for as bogus a reason as "money"

You didn't hear a peep of complaining about Brighton Beach rehabs, about station rehabilitations on upper Broadway at Dyckman and 225th, or any complaints about the people at Whitlock/Morrison-Sound View, and now Elder/St. Lawrence about having to take a shuttle bus to get to their routine stops.

But god forbid someone with MONEY has a problem with anything, all you are going to hear is their incessant whining all over the media because they think their complaints are more IMPORTANT than everyone else's.

They need to get in the back of the line and deal with it like everyone else does. These are not legitimate complaints. I agree with your Vermont comment. New York City is not a cluster of gated communities surrounded by slums. It's a city. No one deserves special treatment. Especially not for as bogus a reason as "money"

Of course there were less complains from the residents of other boroughs, because there are different people who populate those neighborhoods, the hardworking people who struggle everyday to keep food on their tables, they do not have time nor money, as you pointed out, to fight the TA. If you look back at UES, it's whole different story, which is quiet opposite from neighborhoods mentioned above. They have the money and time, lots of free time. I have had the misfortune of monitoring those types of people: wake up late, gym, breakfast then woundering aroung huge house, because there is nothing better to do, and critique, lots of critique even on the matters they don't have the slightest idea. Of course not everybody is like that on UES, but you get the idea. Unfortunately money is the engine behind everything these days, and people who have them most are the ones who running things, not only in NYC, but all over the world. Heck if I would turn rich one day, I would be no different. It's amazing how money can change people.

Of course there were less complains from the residents of other boroughs, because there are different people who populate those neighborhoods, the hardworking people who struggle everyday to keep food on their tables, they do not have time nor money, as you pointed out, to fight the TA. If you look back at UES, it's whole different story, which is quiet opposite from neighborhoods mentioned above. They have the money and time, lots of free time. I have had the misfortune of monitoring those types of people: wake up late, gym, breakfast then woundering aroung huge house, because there is nothing better to do, and critique, lots of critique even on the matters they don't have the slightest idea. Of course not everybody is like that on UES, but you get the idea. Unfortunately money is the engine behind everything these days, and people who have them most are the ones who running things, not only in NYC, but all over the world. Heck if I would turn rich one day, I would be no different. It's amazing how money can change people.

Yeah, but your argument is that there aren't homeless folks hanging around in the more upscale areas which is certainly NOT true.

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the (7) line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the (MTA) set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

Right, folks with money should never be able to complain because they have money, so that solves ALL of their problems... :)

Yeah, they've gone to other middle class neighborhoods and Brooklyn and have done the same crap and the community made a stink about it and the (MTA) had their way. If money talked so loudly, the (MTA) wouldn't have been allowed to destroy the Upper East Side commercial strip the way that they have.

Yeah, so now suddenly you care OH SO much about the disabled?? Yeah right. I see right through your crap. Just taking another chance to stick it to those who have a better financial standing. There was a topic on the ADA stations and you had folks saying Oh well disabled folks are a minority in this city and now suddenly everyone cares so much about them when I was defending them and their needs... :( Like I said, they can still build it and build it elsewhere to satisfy the communities' needs

Oh please... There are rapists running around all over the city. The mayor needs to take action instead of BS-ing and pretending like crime is not an issue because it is becoming more and more of a problem ACROSS the city and not just in crime ridden areas either. Even in my neighborhood we've had a spike in crime with random store robberies, break-ins and rapists roaming around, and Staten Island has the lowest crime rates in the city. :mad: We don't have these sorts of problems in West Brighton, as everyone looks out for each other and we're a close knit upscale community.

Yeah, but your argument is that there aren't homeless folks hanging around in the more upscale areas which is certainly NOT true.

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the (7) line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the (MTA) set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

Right, folks with money should never be able to complain because they have money, so that solves ALL of their problems... :)

Yeah, they've gone to other middle class neighborhoods and Brooklyn and have done the same crap and the community made a stink about it and the (MTA) had their way. If money talked so loudly, the (MTA) wouldn't have been allowed to destroy the Upper East Side commercial strip the way that they have.

Yeah, so now suddenly you care OH SO much about the disabled?? Yeah right. I see right through your crap. Just taking another chance to stick it to those who have a better financial standing. There was a topic on the ADA stations and you had folks saying Oh well disabled folks are a minority in this city and now suddenly everyone cares so much about them when I was defending them and their needs... :( Like I said, they can still build it and build it elsewhere to satisfy the communities' needs

Oh please... There are rapists running around all over the city. The mayor needs to take action instead of BS-ing and pretending like crime is not an issue because it is becoming more and more of a problem ACROSS the city and not just in crime ridden areas either. Even in my neighborhood we've had a spike in crime with random store robberies, break-ins and rapists roaming around, and Staten Island has the lowest crime rates in the city. :mad: We don't have these sorts of problems in West Brighton, as everyone looks out for each other and we're a close knit upscale community.

The point is the people with money are the ones who always complain, and that's the case everywhere, whether some of the above posters admit it or don't. Yes, having work done near your house, whether it is building a new entrance to a subway station or anything else is annoying. But, going to great lengths, such as calling the ADA compliant exits "charity" is just indescribable... I felt like puking. I'm not going to sit and feel sorry for the folks who have an apartment on the upper east side, because they can't stand the noise. They can move to Hunts Point, for all I care. I can only appreciate complains from local business owners, as construction does have an impact on their income. And what is this **** for some of the people on this board, supposedly always trying to "stab" the upper class. That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

Back on topic, I agree 100% with any project that aims in improving the system, even if that were to be constructed outside my door. Some may not believe that.. But, trust me, it's the case. In the end it's just a matter of selfishness and, not to generalize, but affluent people tend to live in their own "bubble" of selfishness, because they don't have to worry about the "petty" daily stuff. BUILD THOSE DAMN EXITS!!!

The point is the people with money are the ones who always complain, and that's the case everywhere, whether some of the above posters admit it or don't. Yes, having work done near your house, whether it is building a new entrance to a subway station or anything else is annoying. But, going to great lengths, such as calling the ADA compliant exits "charity" is just indescribable... I felt like puking. I'm not going to sit and feel sorry for the folks who have an apartment on the upper east side, because they can't stand the noise. They can move to Hunts Point, for all I care. I can only appreciate complains from local business owners, as construction does have an impact on their income. And what is this **** for some of the people on this board, supposedly always trying to "stab" the upper class. That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

Back on topic, I agree 100% with any project that aims in improving the system, even if that were to be constructed outside my door. Some may not believe that.. But, trust me, it's the case. In the end it's just a matter of selfishness and, not to generalize, but affluent people tend to live in their own "bubble" of selfishness, because they don't have to worry about the "petty" daily stuff. BUILD THOSE DAMN EXITS!!!

Archived