68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

Several jobs, full time and 3.9 gpa!? for some reason I find it hard to believe, not unless you are a genious of some sort. Wel I am not You, you also most likely had a better background and financial abilities. Most likely didn't go to cuny and didn't solely rely on the financial aid, like some of us. I would love to hear some of part time options for 1 day of the week, the sole day I don't have school!

Raising base fare from 2.25 to what and lowering unlimited from 104 to what exactly? The chances of this happening are less likely then raising of both base and unlimited. Besides how does this suppose to fight whatever you want to fight?

It's called managing your time. I didn't overload myself with classes and since I went in at 17, so there was no rush. I worked when I needed and focused on my studies, so yes, a 3.92 GPA is most certainly possible. I had a 4.0 GPA for three semesters and my lowest grade was an A-. :cool:

You don't need to be me because you can't be me. :P You just need to apply yourself.

Back to the topic at hand... The unlimited fares have constantly been raised to stop the base fare from going up and I say enough already. My express bus Unlimited card has gone up almost $10.00 a week and meanwhile the base fare of the express bus is just $5.50...

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for when I started college, I started when I was 17 in 1999 and finished up in the early 2000s. I took some time off to prepare for my study abroad and write the necessary proposals to get accepted and such and worked to save up money, so I finished up in 2004 instead of 2003.

Oh and this nonsense about can't find a job anywhere is just that. I don't see a shortage of folks filling up the fast food joints. I did all sorts of odd end jobs in college. I worked as a Spanish and Italian tutor, worked in my mail room and worked at the ice rink on the weekends as a skateguard and also worked security at the hockey games. I didn't cry and look for handouts. I also worked during my summers off doing sales over the phone. Hell my first job was when I was 15. I worked as a camp counselor. After that, I worked with the (MTA) for two summers doing a paid internship. Wha wha... The fare is too high. Wha wha :P My point is I had it tough too and I didn't make excuses. I worked hard and still work hard. I have NEVER looked for handouts. Sure there's a shortage of jobs for college grads, but there are always jobs for college students. I see plenty of college folks working in Whole Foods.

It's not that hard to have a GPA in that range, and as far as jobs go, you're shit out of luck, you're just making up some BS, whoever got those jobs at Whole Foods has connections (someone who works in the store obviously), do you really expect to get any kind of job now when you have thousands of people applying for the same spot?

It's not that hard to have a GPA in that range, and as far as jobs go, you're shit out of luck, you're just making up some BS, whoever got those jobs at Whole Foods has connections (someone who works in the store obviously), do you really expect to get any kind of job now when you have thousands of people applying for the same spot?

I never said it was hard to have a 3.9 GPA and have several jobs. Overclocked made that claim. As for Whole Foods... Connections to work at a supermarket (high end or not, it's still a supermarket)?? LOL Are you serious?? Give me a break. There are new faces there all of the time.

It's called managing your time. I didn't overload myself with classes and since I went in at 17, so there was no rush. I worked when I needed and focused on my studies, so yes, a 3.92 GPA is most certainly possible. I had a 4.0 GPA for three semesters and my lowest grade was an A-. :cool:

You don't need to be me because you can't be me. :P You just need to apply yourself.

Back to the topic at hand... The unlimited fares have constantly been raised to stop the base fare from going up and I say enough already. My express bus Unlimited card has gone up almost $10.00 a week and meanwhile the base fare of the express bus is just $5.50...

Well, I said thet I am not you for a reason.

1. Your major, is way different from my (engineering)

2. I do not posses knowledge of Spanish or Italian, besides I barely know English, as it is not my native language. I am not good at anything else to tutor, so tutoring is off the list.

3. Internisps with (MTA) now require you to be at least sophmore and have a declared major.

Then again you most likely didn't have distractions like Internet or videogames...

I never rode the express bus in my life, so I can't comment on whole express bus discussion.

Well, I said thet I am not you for a reason.

1. Your major, is way different from my (engineering)

2. I do not posses knowledge of Spanish or Italian, besides I barely know English, as it is not my native language. I am not good at anything else to tutor, so tutoring is off the list.

3. Internisps with (MTA) now require you to be at least sophmore and have a declared major.

Then again you most likely didn't have distractions like Internet or videogames...

I never rode the express bus in my life, so I can't comment on whole express bus discussion.

Yes, engineering is a challenge, but what isn't? As for videogames or Internet... LOL... I'm not a dinosaur for crying out loud. I was in college not that long ago and have been considering going back for my Master's degree in Speech Pathology which is certainly not easy. There are always distractions... Women... Partying... Drinking... And yes, the internet and videogames were most certainly distractions back then too, as I am part of Generation "X". :cool:

I never said it was hard to have a 3.9 GPA and have several jobs. Overclocked made that claim. As for Whole Foods... Connections to work at a supermarket (high end or not, it's still a supermarket)?? LOL Are you serious?? Give me a break. There are new faces there all of the time.

Then they pretty much have a low retention rate, people either quitting or getting laid off, mhmm

No work? Ringing people out at a register isn't work? How about lifting/carrying/pushing carts with boxes of varying weights around the store to restock the shelves isn't work? Making sure the vegetables stay fresh isn't work? Making sure the store is a safe place for people isn't work?

I don't know, man... That stuff is definitely worth more than 7/8.25 an hour

No work? Ringing people out at a register isn't work? How about lifting/carrying/pushing carts with boxes of varying weights around the store to restock the shelves isn't work? Making sure the vegetables stay fresh isn't work? Making sure the store is a safe place for people isn't work?

I don't know, man... That stuff is definitely worth more than 7/8.25 an hour

Uh excuse me, but Whole Foods does not pay 7/8.25/hr. They actually do pay decent wages. That's another reason folks like me pay as much as we do to shop there because they pay the workers decent wages. I believe some folks make $16.00 - 20.00 an hour and up.

This is an article from 2006 and even then its lowest wages were $13.15/hr, 5 years ago, so please.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2006/03/is_whole_foods_wholesome.html

As for the no work comment, that's my point. Not all jobs are office jobs and some of them require a little elbow work, which some of these young folks don't want to do. I've done all sorts of jobs and never complained.

Well back when they first raised it, I felt 2.50 was a fine floor that would have helped much better with keeping house in order keeping it there for longer terms than just incremental jumps that still doesn't solve the problem.

My sentiments exactly. People are always going to complain. Folks complained about the fares going up even when the economy was doing well. Everybody wants better services, better this, better that, but don't dare raise the fare. And I'm sorry packing people in like sardine cans to keep fares low is NOT the answer. I'd rather pay more for better service.

My sentiments exactly. People are always going to complain. Folks complained about the fares going up even when the economy was doing well. Everybody wants better services, better this, better that, but don't dare raise the fare. And I'm sorry packing people in like sardine cans to keep fares low is NOT the answer. I'd rather pay more for better service.

I saw 2.50 as a floor that could have been maintained as long as the 1.50 floor was (which was quite a while before it went to $2). If I remember right, there would have been a big surplus that year (with higher costs already mentioned down the line). Stash it away, cost trimming as Walder has done, better route management (for example the Bx14 was replaced by the Bx4A and Bx24) and quite possibly TA could pay to have cleaner stations, trains not braking down everywhere and derailing, and possibly some left over to pay for its capital investments instead of begging Albany and Washington all the time. If the State and Feds are telling you (in Bush's words) "go it alone", then do things to set that up. The rest of the country is only going to follow anyway.

We need to go back to $2, The extra quarter is more annoying than anything

No, if anything we need to go to $3. The MTA should start running the system as a business so that they actually profit in the end. Either that or start enforcing fare evasion such just placing an undercover officer or two in subway stations that are known for fare beating and watch the money start pouring in. Even if they get a couple of cops in every station out in the bad neighborhoods the money from the tickets will be much more than the expenses.

1) Yeah and that's why the fares should be raised on them. They can only afford so much. :cool:

2) Yeah and those people I would fine the **** out of. I said "our" referred to those of us who pay and don't leave a mess and have respect for the system.

3) Yeah well they exist too but that has nothing to do with having respect for the system. That's one reason why it is costing so much to replace buses and trains and such because everything gets torn down as soon as it is put in.

4) Oh please. I'm sorry but I beg to differ. Kingsbridge is run down and dirty looking from my observations and I wouldn't pay my worst enemy to live there.

5) Yeah well that's always a problem. It's like some of the express buses that pass through crappy areas. That's the key thing. They should pass through and keep going. :(

6) Oh please. You know what the problem is. Free rides on the SIR are causing these hooligans to come down to the South Shore and cause problems. They wouldn't be there if they had to pay a fare.

7) LOL.... Who are you kidding? Most of Port Richmond died years ago and Mariners' Harbor??? Hmm... How many vacant storefronts are there on Forest Avenue? I think we have 1 or 2 at the most on Forest Avenue in West Brighton. Meanwhile there are quite a bit of vacant storefronts in that neck of the woods. Yeah like I said, tear down those projects, build some condos and violà... A re-birth. :cool:

8) I see nothing wrong with raising the base fares. Raise the base fares and lower the weekly and monthly cards. Most New Yorkers buy unlimited cards anyway so it is not that big of a deal. How do I expect you to pay?? Hmm... Let's see I had several jobs when I was in college and maintained a 3.92 GPA and graduated Summa C u m Laude. Stop making excuses. :)

1) Yeah, and the working class (the true working class, not what you consider working class) can only afford so much as well. It isn't mass transit if it isn't serving the masses.

2) Well I don't care about that since I don't litter or put my feet up (in fact it irritates me to no end when I see people putting their feet up. Littering not so much)

3) Throwing some trash on the floor doesn't do anything to the body of the bus nor the internal components, so that has zero to do with it.

4) Like I said, you and I clearly have different standards. How you can be fine walking around East Williamsburg but not Mariners' Harbor is beyond me but whatever...

5) If you cut off the RiverLine from Camden and Trenton, ridership would just vanish and then nobody gets any service.

6) No because they are significant. Yeah, somebody may occasionally get robbed or something, but this is NYC.

7) Just because it has a rail line doesn't mean it will be revitalized. Brownsville has the (3) and it's still pretty run-down.

And if an area "died", that means it looks like Camden, NJ or parts of North Philadelphia, where you have groups of boarded up rowhouses. Or it looks like parts of Detroit and other Midwestern cities where you have 1 or two houses because the rest were all abandoned and demolished and it looks like a rural area a mile from the Downtown. The last time I checked, nothing in SI looks like that.

8) You're kidding. Most swipes are made with Unlimited MetroCards, but a significant number of people use pay-per-ride (more than unlimited passes by a few percentage points)

I'm gonna take your last point there. The problem with your logic is that you see nothing wrong with raising fares. According to your many posts, you live quite comfortably and will probably easily be able to pay the higher fare. That's not the case for the vast majority of riders on the buses and subways. Also, there are probably a whole lot more people who buy pay-per-ride MetroCards than you think. The Unlimited MetroCard is only cost-beneficial if one is making several transfers along their route or making several trips throughout the day. Otherwise, the pay-per-ride is the better option, especially if one can't afford to shell out $100 at once.

Also, your claim that college kids can pay the increased fare because you did is simply ludicrous. For starters, you can't find a job anywhere. Unemployment rates for college students are through the roof. Secondly, you recently celebrated your 30th birthday, right? That means you were in college in the late '90s and early 2000s if my math is correct. At that time, the fare was what, $1.50? That's a big difference to today's $2.25 or even higher as you're suggesting.

And this is to get rid of the undesirables in the subway? Here's the problem with that - said undesirables are more likely to jump the turnstiles or use the emergency gate rather than pay the higher fare. So all you'd do is make it harder for honest, hard-working people to get to where they need to be. Good job there buddy. Not only will ridership drop because of that, but maintenance will also slow due to decreased income. And that means even dirtier stations, trains, buses, etc.

(Bolded part) And there lies the problem: He thinks everybody wants what he wants.

And yeah, a lot of people use pay-per-ride MetroCards. In fact, one of the arguments for keeping the base fare low was that some people can only afford to spend $2.50 at a time.

Oh and this nonsense about can't find a job anywhere is just that. I don't see a shortage of folks filling up the fast food joints. I did all sorts of odd end jobs in college. I worked as a Spanish and Italian tutor, worked in my mail room and worked at the ice rink on the weekends as a skateguard and also worked security at the hockey games. I didn't cry and look for handouts. I also worked during my summers off doing sales over the phone. Hell my first job was when I was 15. I worked as a camp counselor. After that, I worked with the (MTA) for two summers doing a paid internship. Wha wha... The fare is too high. Wha wha :( My point is I had it tough too and I didn't make excuses. I worked hard and still work hard. I have NEVER looked for handouts. Sure there's a shortage of jobs for college grads, but there are always jobs for college students. I see plenty of college folks working in Whole Foods.

Yeah, you could scrap together a few part-time jobs, but they're hard to come by. I applied to several fast-food places and they refused to take me because I was under 18. It might be a little bit better if you're a college student, but even then, you're competing with unemployed adults who are settling for a job at a supermarket because they can't find anything else.

If somebody pays $0.50 extra, that adds up to an extra $5 a week, so your $10 a week isn't that bad (especially considering it's an unlimited MetroCard). Like I said, just because you are just begging to pay more doesn't mean everybody else is.

Yeah, because there's always going to be people who can't afford it even in a good economy.

No, if anything we need to go to $3. The MTA should start running the system as a business so that they actually profit in the end. Either that or start enforcing fare evasion such just placing an undercover officer or two in subway stations that are known for fare beating and watch the money start pouring in. Even if they get a couple of cops in every station out in the bad neighborhoods the money from the tickets will be much more than the expenses.

You realize that in low-income neighborhoods, a lot of the judges see that the person is on welfare or whatever and just lets them off.

1) Yeah, and the working class (the true working class, not what you consider working class) can only afford so much as well. It isn't mass transit if it isn't serving the masses.

And what do I consider working class that's so different??? :confused:

3) Throwing some trash on the floor doesn't do anything to the body of the bus nor the internal components, so that has zero to do with it.

Really?? Oh, it's fine that it's filthy and disgusting so long as it gets people around. Uh... no.

4) Like I said, you and I clearly have different standards. How you can be fine walking around East Williamsburg but not Mariners' Harbor is beyond me but whatever...

When did I say that I was fine walking around East Williamsburg??? I stayed in the area where the whites were and only walked from Morgan Avenue to the condo. Going back I refused to walk back to the station alone and had one of my friends drive me to the Morgan Ave station and see that I made it safe inside of the station where there were all whites and it was safe.

5) If you cut off the RiverLine from Camden and Trenton, ridership would just vanish and then nobody gets any service.

Who cares about NJ anyway? That comment was moreso for NYC.

6) No because they are significant. Yeah, somebody may occasionally get robbed or something, but this is NYC.

What a lame excuse. So because it's NYC, that makes it okay for thugs to get on the SIR and travel to the South Shore to attack and rob innocent people?? That's preposterous. :mad:

7) Just because it has a rail line doesn't mean it will be revitalized. Brownsville has the (3) and it's still pretty run-down.

When did I say anything about a rail line in point #7?????????? :confused:

And if an area "died", that means it looks like Camden, NJ or parts of North Philadelphia, where you have groups of boarded up rowhouses. Or it looks like parts of Detroit and other Midwestern cities where you have 1 or two houses because the rest were all abandoned and demolished and it looks like a rural area a mile from the Downtown. The last time I checked, nothing in SI looks like that.

What do you call blocks of nothing but weeds with no sidewalks? Certainly looks rural to me. Oh and those trailers or whatever they are in Mariners' Harbor certainly look rural to me.

8) You're kidding. Most swipes are made with Unlimited MetroCards, but a significant number of people use pay-per-ride (more than unlimited passes by a few percentage points)

Is that right? Interesting that you didn't list the stats... :(

(Bolded part) And there lies the problem: He thinks everybody wants what he wants.

Yeah well the masses are cheapskates like you so of course they don't want to pay anything. You push this idea of cutting service just so that the fares can be lower. If that's not ridiculous then I don't what is.

And yeah, a lot of people use pay-per-ride MetroCards. In fact, one of the arguments for keeping the base fare low was that some people can only afford to spend $2.50 at a time.

Well then where is the (MTA) supposed to get money from? Oh, the poor people can't pay. Oh the poor people shouldn't pay fines for farebeating, but the working folks should keep paying higher fares and more taxes to support the (MTA)? Tell me how that's for the masses. That's transportation for a few. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

Yeah, you could scrap together a few part-time jobs, but they're hard to come by. I applied to several fast-food places and they refused to take me because I was under 18. It might be a little bit better if you're a college student, but even then, you're competing with unemployed adults who are settling for a job at a supermarket because they can't find anything else.

Yeah well being under 18 has NOTHING to do with the economy. That has to do with your age. Don't blame the economy on that.

If somebody pays $0.50 extra, that adds up to an extra $5 a week, so your $10 a week isn't that bad (especially considering it's an unlimited MetroCard). Like I said, just because you are just begging to pay more doesn't mean everybody else is.

I'm sorry but if transit is supposed to be for the masses as you say, then everyone should pay their fair share. You can claim that it's for the masses one minute and then claim that it's okay for a few to pay more than others.

Yeah, because there's always going to be people who can't afford it even in a good economy.

Yeah, they can't afford it, but they've got money for designer clothes. Friggin' liars. They can't afford it, but they have money for cigarettes and such. Yeah right. :(

You realize that in low-income neighborhoods, a lot of the judges see that the person is on welfare or whatever and just lets them off.

That's the problem with this friggin' city. Too many damn handouts. Oh it's okay. Let me break the law because he's poor. :( Talk about double standards. Meanwhile they stick to us working class folks and let the poor folks off of the hook.

And that's the problem. They shouldn't get a free pass. If they can't afford it then too bad. They have two feet. They can walk or stay home.

You are a racist and an elitist.

A racist how so? Because I mentioned that the guy with his feet on the seat was black?? I simply stated a fact. If he was white I would've stated it just the same so please. I think you should take a look at yourself. This is the guy that had the nerve to complain because he said they're aren't enough black people on the Madison Avenue buses south of 96th street. Now that's racist. You have a problem if there are too many whites around, as if it's a crime to have a bus with all whites on it. You would've cringed if you rode the M31 or M57 as I did last night. It was all white. :)

As far as your elitist comment, I'm a realist, not an elitist. No one has handed me anything and I didn't go around looking for handouts. If that makes me an elitist then so be it.

No, they should just enforce fare evasion violations, there's people out there who gotta use the system to get to school/work, $3.00/$6.00 daily is going to really, really suck for people, not to mention unlimited card prices, you want more people losing their minds over this?

I like your selective memory. My comment was nothing of the sort and you've created an entire picture of who I'm NOT. I believe you'd pointed out how the M2 below 86th was so "civilized," and I reminded you that every black man got off at 96th, but ignoring that....

Oh really? So you weren't the one that made that comment? Okay, now I'm going to find that thread and post it here ya big liar. I remember it clearly. You were complaining about how the bus empties out at 96 street and how they are no blacks on it as if there is something wrong with it. Don't even try it.

It was absolutely unnecessary to bring race into the question, as you have done so many times. Does it have to be the "nasty black guy" or could it just have been "the guy taking up two seats?"

Uh, actually unless you have a problem with race then I see no reason why race should be admitted. You clearly do have a problem with it though.

A realist? No, a realist looks at our world and says, man, things are rough. A realist doesn't call unemployment nonsense.

Uh excuse me, but there's a difference between things being rough and people making excuses. Let's not get it confused. Unemployment is above 9%... That's rough. People unwilling to work certain jobs because they feel that it's beneath them is indeed nonsense.

A racist how so? Because I mentioned that the guy with his feet on the seat was black?? I simply stated a fact. If he was white I would've stated it just the same so please. I think you should take a look at yourself. This is the guy that had the nerve to complain because he said they're aren't enough black people on the Madison Avenue buses south of 96th street. Now that's racist. You have a problem if there are too many whites around, as if it's a crime to have a bus with all whites on it. You would've cringed if you rode the M31 or M57 as I did last night. It was all white. :(

As far as your elitist comment, I'm a realist, not an elitist. No one has handed me anything and I didn't go around looking for handouts. If that makes me an elitist then so be it.

If there ever was a bus that was practically 100% white then it would've definitely been the X90... never seen a black guy on that bus besides the driver.

And racism is discriminating against a race. The post I quoted says absolutely nothing negative or discriminatory against black people.

If there ever was a bus that was practically 100% white then it would've definitely been the X90... never seen a black guy on that bus besides the driver.

Yeah, I mean I've been on a few express bus lines on Staten Island that have no blacks. Not a big deal. He acts like it's a crime to have an all white area or something. Hell, he would freak out if he went to some parts of the city where there are no blacks and nothing but Latinos or Asians.

And racism is discriminating against a race. The post I quoted says absolutely nothing negative or discriminatory against black people.

Neither does mine, but he swears up and down that I'm a racist for mentioning that the guy was black.

Uh excuse me, but there's a difference between things being rough and people making excuses. Let's not get it confused. Unemployment is above 9%... That's rough. People unwilling to work certain jobs because they feel that it's beneath them is indeed nonsense.

Does that mean working third shift at Walmart? For $9.70 an hour? Getting yelled at for plugging shelves and excessive overstock coming back to the storeroom? Getting yelled at for not making things go out even though they cant?

Would you do it if you were a fresh college graduate with a brand spanking new degree and thousands deep in loan debt?

Archived