68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

Of course there were less complains from the residents of other boroughs, because there are different people who populate those neighborhoods, the hardworking people who struggle everyday to keep food on their tables, they do not have time nor money, as you pointed out, to fight the TA. If you look back at UES, it's whole different story, which is quiet opposite from neighborhoods mentioned above. They have the money and time, lots of free time. I have had the misfortune of monitoring those types of people: wake up late, gym, breakfast then woundering aroung huge house, because there is nothing better to do, and critique, lots of critique even on the matters they don't have the slightest idea. Of course not everybody is like that on UES, but you get the idea. Unfortunately money is the engine behind everything these days, and people who have them most are the ones who running things, not only in NYC, but all over the world.

And that's BS and a double standard, which I find unacceptable.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course there were less complains from the residents of other boroughs, because there are different people who populate those neighborhoods, the hardworking people who struggle everyday to keep food on their tables, they do not have time nor money, as you pointed out, to fight the TA. If you look back at UES, it's whole different story, which is quiet opposite from neighborhoods mentioned above. They have the money and time, lots of free time. I have had the misfortune of monitoring those types of people: wake up late, gym, breakfast then woundering aroung huge house, because there is nothing better to do, and critique, lots of critique even on the matters they don't have the slightest idea. Of course not everybody is like that on UES, but you get the idea. Unfortunately money is the engine behind everything these days, and people who have them most are the ones who running things, not only in NYC, but all over the world.

And that's BS and a double standard, which I find unacceptable.

That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

That's not what this is about...but are you saying you think that's OK? Because tens of thousands of human history show that it doesn't work in the end.

That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

That's not what this is about...but are you saying you think that's OK? Because tens of thousands of human history show that it doesn't work in the end.

Of course it's not ok.. That's what my post was all about.. In the end it just comes down to who gets what he wants. I agree with all your previous posts.

Of course it's not ok.. That's what my post was all about.. In the end it just comes down to who gets what he wants. I agree with all your previous posts.

Yeah, but your argument is that there aren't homeless folks hanging around in the more upscale areas which is certainly NOT true.

My argument is that there are homeless people everywhere...the city and the country are in a mess and there are more and more poor people and homeless people everywhere.

My argument is that this doesn't matter, because there is no law against homeless people.

Or do you really think naively that homeless people will just begin flocking to 69th street simply because a new subway station entrance opens a couple years from now?

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the (7) line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the (MTA) set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

THAT's the example you use? The (7) line??? You know which segments of the line are complaining the loudest and getting their complaints in print and online media? Long Island City. AKA the rich and moneyed...AGAIN. The (7) line is a highly political line because of the people that live in Manhattan East over there, so it's a terrible example to use if you're trying to prove the point that "even poor people get listened to every once in a while"

I didn't hear a peep out of the Russians in Brighton Beach with all of the work going on down there.

Your last point of conjecture and hearsay by speculating on what I might do is completely wrong. I LIVE on the Upper East Side and I recognize the clear advantages of adding another entrance to the 68th Street station.

Right, folks with money should never be able to complain because they have money, so that solves ALL of their problems... :)

Folks with money should not have their whining taken more seriously than anyone else's just because they have money. If these people were broke and poor, no one would give a damn what they said.

Yeah, they've gone to other middle class neighborhoods and Brooklyn and have done the same crap and the community made a stink about it and the (MTA) had their way.

But yet when it came to designing 72nd Street entrances for SAS, millions of dollars were spent on studies to determine the "least offensive to the wealthy citizens of the UES" positioning and design of station entrances. I didn't see that level of detail or thought being applied anywhere else in the city.

If money talked so loudly, the (MTA) wouldn't have been allowed to destroy the Upper East Side commercial strip the way that they have.

The money held by Second Avenue business owners pales in comparison to that of the old money still reluctantly clinging to every last Botoxed bit of life on Park Avenue which will fight tooth and manicured nail to keep ANYTHING new out.

Yeah, so now suddenly you care OH SO much about the disabled?? Yeah right. I see right through your crap.

My crap, eh? So that's what you think this is...making it personal because you fail to realize what I've already said about ADA law. Now, since you identify with the wealthy, I guess that means following the law is optional for you, and you might not do it if you were in charge of the MTA, but there are rules about disability access on new construction, and whether you choose to acknowledge them or not the MTA still has to follow them.

And the point I was making about benefitting thousands of riders daily had nothing to do with the disabled. It has to do with the people who cram up and down those staircases every day...many of whom miss trains that have space on them because they can't get up and down the stairs. It's similar to the staircase in the old South Ferry station - lots of people going up and down at the same time. A second path for entrance/exit would benefit ALL of those people and allow trains to load/unload more safely and faster.

There was a topic on the ADA stations and you had folks saying Oh well disabled folks are a minority in this city and now suddenly everyone cares so much about them when I was defending them and their needs... :(

I wasn't in those topics, I can't speak for other people.

Like I said, they can still build it and build it elsewhere to satisfy the communities' needs

OK, then, as the example I gave illustrated, how shall a new station entrance be constructed in accordance with ADA (since, it's the law, despite your refusal to acknowledge this), on a street corner within station limits for a station directly underneath 68th and 69th streets, without using the corners of 68th or 69th streets?

Oh please... There are rapists running around all over the city. The mayor needs to take action instead of BS-ing and pretending like crime is not an issue because it is becoming more and more of a problem ACROSS the city and not just in crime ridden areas either. Even in my neighborhood we've had a spike in crime with random store robberies, break-ins and rapists roaming around, and Staten Island has the lowest crime rates in the city. :mad: We don't have these sorts of problems in West Brighton, as everyone looks out for each other and we're a close knit upscale community.

Separate issue. My argument is that the presence of a new station entrance does not cause a rapist to materialize out of some quagmire and start raping people, as these UESers claim.

Crime should be fought on its own grounds, I agree, and the mayor sucks at doing that like he sucks at everything else except making himself lots of money and getting illegal third terms.

But the argument that the addition of a new subway entrance will cause crime to increase is stupid, irrational, and invalid.

Yeah, but your argument is that there aren't homeless folks hanging around in the more upscale areas which is certainly NOT true.

My argument is that there are homeless people everywhere...the city and the country are in a mess and there are more and more poor people and homeless people everywhere.

My argument is that this doesn't matter, because there is no law against homeless people.

Or do you really think naively that homeless people will just begin flocking to 69th street simply because a new subway station entrance opens a couple years from now?

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the (7) line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the (MTA) set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

THAT's the example you use? The (7) line??? You know which segments of the line are complaining the loudest and getting their complaints in print and online media? Long Island City. AKA the rich and moneyed...AGAIN. The (7) line is a highly political line because of the people that live in Manhattan East over there, so it's a terrible example to use if you're trying to prove the point that "even poor people get listened to every once in a while"

I didn't hear a peep out of the Russians in Brighton Beach with all of the work going on down there.

Your last point of conjecture and hearsay by speculating on what I might do is completely wrong. I LIVE on the Upper East Side and I recognize the clear advantages of adding another entrance to the 68th Street station.

Right, folks with money should never be able to complain because they have money, so that solves ALL of their problems... :)

Folks with money should not have their whining taken more seriously than anyone else's just because they have money. If these people were broke and poor, no one would give a damn what they said.

Yeah, they've gone to other middle class neighborhoods and Brooklyn and have done the same crap and the community made a stink about it and the (MTA) had their way.

But yet when it came to designing 72nd Street entrances for SAS, millions of dollars were spent on studies to determine the "least offensive to the wealthy citizens of the UES" positioning and design of station entrances. I didn't see that level of detail or thought being applied anywhere else in the city.

If money talked so loudly, the (MTA) wouldn't have been allowed to destroy the Upper East Side commercial strip the way that they have.

The money held by Second Avenue business owners pales in comparison to that of the old money still reluctantly clinging to every last Botoxed bit of life on Park Avenue which will fight tooth and manicured nail to keep ANYTHING new out.

Yeah, so now suddenly you care OH SO much about the disabled?? Yeah right. I see right through your crap.

My crap, eh? So that's what you think this is...making it personal because you fail to realize what I've already said about ADA law. Now, since you identify with the wealthy, I guess that means following the law is optional for you, and you might not do it if you were in charge of the MTA, but there are rules about disability access on new construction, and whether you choose to acknowledge them or not the MTA still has to follow them.

And the point I was making about benefitting thousands of riders daily had nothing to do with the disabled. It has to do with the people who cram up and down those staircases every day...many of whom miss trains that have space on them because they can't get up and down the stairs. It's similar to the staircase in the old South Ferry station - lots of people going up and down at the same time. A second path for entrance/exit would benefit ALL of those people and allow trains to load/unload more safely and faster.

There was a topic on the ADA stations and you had folks saying Oh well disabled folks are a minority in this city and now suddenly everyone cares so much about them when I was defending them and their needs... :(

Like I said, they can still build it and build it elsewhere to satisfy the communities' needs

OK, then, as the example I gave illustrated, how shall a new station entrance be constructed in accordance with ADA (since, it's the law, despite your refusal to acknowledge this), on a street corner within station limits for a station directly underneath 68th and 69th streets, without using the corners of 68th or 69th streets?

Oh please... There are rapists running around all over the city. The mayor needs to take action instead of BS-ing and pretending like crime is not an issue because it is becoming more and more of a problem ACROSS the city and not just in crime ridden areas either. Even in my neighborhood we've had a spike in crime with random store robberies, break-ins and rapists roaming around, and Staten Island has the lowest crime rates in the city. :mad: We don't have these sorts of problems in West Brighton, as everyone looks out for each other and we're a close knit upscale community.

Separate issue. My argument is that the presence of a new station entrance does not cause a rapist to materialize out of some quagmire and start raping people, as these UESers claim.

Crime should be fought on its own grounds, I agree, and the mayor sucks at doing that like he sucks at everything else except making himself lots of money and getting illegal third terms.

But the argument that the addition of a new subway entrance will cause crime to increase is stupid, irrational, and invalid.

The point is the people with money are the ones who always complain, and that's the case everywhere, whether some of the above posters admit it or don't. Yes, having work done near your house, whether it is building a new entrance to a subway station or anything else is annoying. But, going to great lengths, such as calling the ADA compliant exits "charity" is just indescribable... I felt like puking. I'm not going to sit and feel sorry for the folks who have an apartment on the upper east side, because they can't stand the noise. They can move to Hunts Point, for all I care. I can only appreciate complains from local business owners, as construction does have an impact on their income. And what is this **** for some of the people on this board, supposedly always trying to "stab" the upper class. That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

Back on topic, I agree 100% with any project that aims in improving the system, even if that were to be constructed outside my door. Some may not believe that.. But, trust me, it's the case. In the end it's just a matter of selfishness and, not to generalize, but affluent people tend to live in their own "bubble" of selfishness, because they don't have to worry about the "petty" daily stuff. BUILD THOSE DAMN EXITS!!!

My beef is that suddenly everyone is SO concerned about the disabled now but when they were complaining about not having access to the subway just a few months ago, everyone was taking shots at them talking about there aren't that many disabled folks in the city, which is NOT true. Talk about a double standard and a bunch of hypocrites. The disabled folks matter now because folks with money on the Upper East Side are complaining. Yeah right. Spare me the BS man.

The point is the people with money are the ones who always complain, and that's the case everywhere, whether some of the above posters admit it or don't. Yes, having work done near your house, whether it is building a new entrance to a subway station or anything else is annoying. But, going to great lengths, such as calling the ADA compliant exits "charity" is just indescribable... I felt like puking. I'm not going to sit and feel sorry for the folks who have an apartment on the upper east side, because they can't stand the noise. They can move to Hunts Point, for all I care. I can only appreciate complains from local business owners, as construction does have an impact on their income. And what is this **** for some of the people on this board, supposedly always trying to "stab" the upper class. That's just ridiculous!! I'm not trying to make it personal, but come on.. The rich always get richer and the poor poorer. That's ALWAYS the case EVERYWHERE!

Back on topic, I agree 100% with any project that aims in improving the system, even if that were to be constructed outside my door. Some may not believe that.. But, trust me, it's the case. In the end it's just a matter of selfishness and, not to generalize, but affluent people tend to live in their own "bubble" of selfishness, because they don't have to worry about the "petty" daily stuff. BUILD THOSE DAMN EXITS!!!

My beef is that suddenly everyone is SO concerned about the disabled now but when they were complaining about not having access to the subway just a few months ago, everyone was taking shots at them talking about there aren't that many disabled folks in the city, which is NOT true. Talk about a double standard and a bunch of hypocrites. The disabled folks matter now because folks with money on the Upper East Side are complaining. Yeah right. Spare me the BS man.

Poor Upper eastsiders...

Poor Upper eastsiders...

Which is it? Earlier you said that they're aren't many homeless people on the Upper East Side and that they won't congregate there anyway because they would be taken away, but now they are homeless people everywhere? Talk about flip-flopping. Thank you for making my point. The homeless folks are flocking to 5th Avenue and other affluent parts of the city in droves and this is certainly NOT what the Upper East Side needs with the economic disaster on 2nd Avenue. What should be happening is that these homeless folks should be given help. I see several homeless folks that are clearly in need of psychological help that are out and about everyday talking to themselves and such. All it takes is one incident for them to snap.

Oh please. Don't even try it. Eric Gioia represents several neighborhoods (Woodside, Sunnyside, Long Island City, Astoria and Maspeth) and Woodside and Sunnyside are hard working middle class areas.

No offense, but I lived blocks from the Sheepshead Bay train station for almost all of my life and most of the Russians don't even speak English, so what sort of "peep" would you expect?? :confused:

Yet another example of your hypocrisy. You can't stand folks on the Upper East Side and yet you live there. I knew it was something... :)

Yeah yeah yeah... Just keep on bashing the Upper East Side. If you hate the folks over there so much, then what in the world are you doing living there?? :confused: Makes no sense to me.

Well let's see... 72nd street is a high density area so yeah considering the mess that they're created on the Upper East Side you can call it a drop in the bucket. Yeah, how many businesses have gone under because of the (MTA)up there?? :tdown:

Oh no, folks with old money... Now isn't that a crime in a capitalist society... :(

Oh don't even try it. I was one of the few who stood up for the disabled in previous threads when others were sitting here talking about how we don't need to build ADA stations because they're a minority.

Of course it has nothing to do with the disabled because you just want to slam the affluent folks and I'm going to call you on it.

I was in them and I'm calling them out too. Bunch of hypocrites.

My question is why can't they even look at other options first? Is that such a crime? I'm not disputing it being a law. All I'm saying is that they should try to work with the community to find a better alternative that makes both sides happy; the community and the riders. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but in case there's a problem only because the community happens to be of money so let's deny them their request to punish them because they have money right? Talk about a cheap shot.

Hmm... Well try telling that to the women that are being attacked that are walking from the train station.

Really? And what proof do you have that it won't?

Poor Upper eastsiders...

Yeah jealous another hater... Typical...

Which is it? Earlier you said that they're aren't many homeless people on the Upper East Side and that they won't congregate there anyway because they would be taken away, but now they are homeless people everywhere? Talk about flip-flopping. Thank you for making my point. The homeless folks are flocking to 5th Avenue and other affluent parts of the city in droves and this is certainly NOT what the Upper East Side needs with the economic disaster on 2nd Avenue. What should be happening is that these homeless folks should be given help. I see several homeless folks that are clearly in need of psychological help that are out and about everyday talking to themselves and such. All it takes is one incident for them to snap.

Oh please. Don't even try it. Eric Gioia represents several neighborhoods (Woodside, Sunnyside, Long Island City, Astoria and Maspeth) and Woodside and Sunnyside are hard working middle class areas.

No offense, but I lived blocks from the Sheepshead Bay train station for almost all of my life and most of the Russians don't even speak English, so what sort of "peep" would you expect?? :confused:

Yet another example of your hypocrisy. You can't stand folks on the Upper East Side and yet you live there. I knew it was something... :)

Yeah yeah yeah... Just keep on bashing the Upper East Side. If you hate the folks over there so much, then what in the world are you doing living there?? :confused: Makes no sense to me.

Well let's see... 72nd street is a high density area so yeah considering the mess that they're created on the Upper East Side you can call it a drop in the bucket. Yeah, how many businesses have gone under because of the (MTA)up there?? :tdown:

Oh no, folks with old money... Now isn't that a crime in a capitalist society... :(

Oh don't even try it. I was one of the few who stood up for the disabled in previous threads when others were sitting here talking about how we don't need to build ADA stations because they're a minority.

Of course it has nothing to do with the disabled because you just want to slam the affluent folks and I'm going to call you on it.

I was in them and I'm calling them out too. Bunch of hypocrites.

My question is why can't they even look at other options first? Is that such a crime? I'm not disputing it being a law. All I'm saying is that they should try to work with the community to find a better alternative that makes both sides happy; the community and the riders. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but in case there's a problem only because the community happens to be of money so let's deny them their request to punish them because they have money right? Talk about a cheap shot.

Hmm... Well try telling that to the women that are being attacked that are walking from the train station.

Really? And what proof do you have that it won't?

Poor Upper eastsiders...

Yeah jealous another hater... Typical...

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

I've been taking the (7) and have had no issues with the track work they've been doing in recent years. The ones who would be complaining are the peeps at 61st-Woodside and beyond of course.

I don't get why people think they can have what they want JUST BECAUSE they have loads more cash than the population in the other towns. Ungrateful bastards.

Are you kidding me?? The folks along the line have been throwing a fit because of the work being done along the line, and representative Eric Gioia was certainly on the news expressing his outrage, so don't even sit here and make this out to be a class thing yet again. You just like to take stabs at the upper class folks any chance you get and I'm going to call you out on it. I'm willing to bet you would be the first one out there protesting if the set up shop in your neighborhood and did something that you were against and these folks are exercising the same right to stand up for their community so stop with your double standard tactics.

I've been taking the (7) and have had no issues with the track work they've been doing in recent years. The ones who would be complaining are the peeps at 61st-Woodside and beyond of course.

I don't get why people think they can have what they want JUST BECAUSE they have loads more cash than the population in the other towns. Ungrateful bastards.

And since when was Woodside so "affluent"?? That's a typical hard working middle class neighborhood. Seems like anyone that complains must automatically be rich spoiled brats. :) :tdown:

And since when was Woodside so "affluent"?? That's a typical hard working middle class neighborhood. Seems like anyone that complains must automatically be rich spoiled brats. :) :tdown:

68th definitely needs a second entrance. That was a station I frequently had to use back when I lived on the Upper East Side (especially if I was coming back from work and was making a stop at the OTB on 69th/2nd or stopping there on my way to doing work), and it was at times very crowded to move around in that station, and probably more so now.

Some of these people likely have never ridden a subway or still think of the subway the way it was in the 1970's and early '80s as opposed to 30+ years later and have no clue about how much things have changed, especially in recent years.

That said, I would also be looking at add a 76th Street entrance to the 77th Street station on the (6), which for years was my home station. That entrance mainly would be to help funnel students going to both Wagner Junior High School (76th between 2nd and 3rd Avenues) and Eleanor Roosevelt High School (76th east of 1st Avenue).

Archived