68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

68th definitely needs a second entrance. That was a station I frequently had to use back when I lived on the Upper East Side (especially if I was coming back from work and was making a stop at the OTB on 69th/2nd or stopping there on my way to doing work), and it was at times very crowded to move around in that station, and probably more so now.

Some of these people likely have never ridden a subway or still think of the subway the way it was in the 1970's and early '80s as opposed to 30+ years later and have no clue about how much things have changed, especially in recent years.

That said, I would also be looking at add a 76th Street entrance to the 77th Street station on the (6), which for years was my home station. That entrance mainly would be to help funnel students going to both Wagner Junior High School (76th between 2nd and 3rd Avenues) and Eleanor Roosevelt High School (76th east of 1st Avenue).

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25

@Via Garibaldi 8: I'd love to know what you'd do to improve the system you say so desperately needs it. You're always quick to complain about how the agency doesn't do enough to improve riding conditions, but when they actually do try to do something, whether it's add new entrances to a cramped station or adding a new signal system that would allow more trains to run on the Flushing line, you're just as quick to call foul about how they're ******* up the neighborhood. You want a better system; well guess what, you can't have everything. You can't complain about how there are a lack of entrances and exits, or in this case, ADA accessibility, at a particular station and then complain when the (MTA) decides to put a new one in quite literally the only place they can. Just as you can't complain about how some stations are a dump and then bitch about how they're closed for several months while they're being repaired.

You go on about how the (MTA) should be doing more, but you rarely, if ever, offer any real solutions on how they should be done. Come to think of it, you should probably get into politics yourself, since they complain just as much as you do about shit and never give any real solutions to the (MTA)'s problems.

Guest lance25

@Via Garibaldi 8: I'd love to know what you'd do to improve the system you say so desperately needs it. You're always quick to complain about how the agency doesn't do enough to improve riding conditions, but when they actually do try to do something, whether it's add new entrances to a cramped station or adding a new signal system that would allow more trains to run on the Flushing line, you're just as quick to call foul about how they're ******* up the neighborhood. You want a better system; well guess what, you can't have everything. You can't complain about how there are a lack of entrances and exits, or in this case, ADA accessibility, at a particular station and then complain when the (MTA) decides to put a new one in quite literally the only place they can. Just as you can't complain about how some stations are a dump and then bitch about how they're closed for several months while they're being repaired.

You go on about how the (MTA) should be doing more, but you rarely, if ever, offer any real solutions on how they should be done. Come to think of it, you should probably get into politics yourself, since they complain just as much as you do about shit and never give any real solutions to the (MTA)'s problems.

Well well well, Mr. "Westchester" gives his two cents about the (MTA) and the "fabulous" subway system that they've upkept so well over the years... :)

I think I have earned the right to be critical on the subway, seeing that I grew up right near the (Q) train over in Sheepshead Bay, so I speak from experience, as I have used every line in the system and have rode each line rather extensively. As for my solutions, I most certainly have offered solutions, one of them being to shut down segments of lines until they are completely finished, which allow the work to be done quicker and more importantly to have the restorations actually last rather than being completed (via patchwork) and being in disrepair less than a few years later.

I would develop some sort of temporary limited stop SBS system which allow folks to get on and off quickly while subway stations are being redone. Stations could be shut down over night when ridership is lower on some lines and buses could substitute those subway lines, which allow proper maintenance and cleaning of the stations.

As for the ongoing rhetoric about this ADA station at 68th street, wow wee. I rode the Brighton line when they were redoing many of the stations south of the Cortelyou Road station and I don't see how they couldn't make any of those stations ADA accessible when they basically redid those stations (particularly Ave J, Ave M, Neck Rd and Ave U from scratch, building temporary platforms in some cases. Those stations will not be ADA accessible for years to come. Meanwhile they're making the 68th street station ADA accessible due to legal obligations (per Subway Guy), but they just ram the space where they plan to put it at down the community's throats without getting any imput from them and that's supposed to be eh okay... :(

Well well well, Mr. "Westchester" gives his two cents about the (MTA) and the "fabulous" subway system that they've upkept so well over the years... :)

I think I have earned the right to be critical on the subway, seeing that I grew up right near the (Q) train over in Sheepshead Bay, so I speak from experience, as I have used every line in the system and have rode each line rather extensively. As for my solutions, I most certainly have offered solutions, one of them being to shut down segments of lines until they are completely finished, which allow the work to be done quicker and more importantly to have the restorations actually last rather than being completed (via patchwork) and being in disrepair less than a few years later.

I would develop some sort of temporary limited stop SBS system which allow folks to get on and off quickly while subway stations are being redone. Stations could be shut down over night when ridership is lower on some lines and buses could substitute those subway lines, which allow proper maintenance and cleaning of the stations.

As for the ongoing rhetoric about this ADA station at 68th street, wow wee. I rode the Brighton line when they were redoing many of the stations south of the Cortelyou Road station and I don't see how they couldn't make any of those stations ADA accessible when they basically redid those stations (particularly Ave J, Ave M, Neck Rd and Ave U from scratch, building temporary platforms in some cases. Those stations will not be ADA accessible for years to come. Meanwhile they're making the 68th street station ADA accessible due to legal obligations (per Subway Guy), but they just ram the space where they plan to put it at down the community's throats without getting any imput from them and that's supposed to be eh okay... :(

Guest lance25

1) Just because I live in Westchester, it doesn't mean I'm not familiar with the subway. I've used the subway many a times over the years. It's called a "commute". Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept.

2) Ah, yes, the "shut down entire segments of lines so they'll get more work done faster" argument. Here's the problem with that. As I'm sure you're already aware of, the subway system transports millions of riders daily. Putting even a fraction of them on shuttle buses or SBS routes as you suggest would be damn near impossible. Not only are there not enough buses around to transport that many people for several weeks or months, there's also the problem with some routes that don't run parallel to a major road to carry all those buses.

3) You can't shut down the subway overnight. Plain and simple. No matter what kind of bus service you'd implement for overnight service, the trains will always be faster than buses, especially for inter-borough commuters. Contrary to your belief, express buses are not the be-all-end-all solution to the issues plaguing the subway.

4) While I won't claim to know what kind of renovation necessitates ADA accessibility, I do know that as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the mandate, 100 key stations must be accessible by 2020. That includes 68 St-Hunter College. Click here for the full list (add Dyckman St-Broadway to that list). Also, just to let you know, Kings Hwy (Brighton) is also on that list since it's a major transfer point as well as being a highly-used station, unlike the rest of Brighton, which ranks comparatively lower. Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

Guest lance25

1) Just because I live in Westchester, it doesn't mean I'm not familiar with the subway. I've used the subway many a times over the years. It's called a "commute". Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept.

2) Ah, yes, the "shut down entire segments of lines so they'll get more work done faster" argument. Here's the problem with that. As I'm sure you're already aware of, the subway system transports millions of riders daily. Putting even a fraction of them on shuttle buses or SBS routes as you suggest would be damn near impossible. Not only are there not enough buses around to transport that many people for several weeks or months, there's also the problem with some routes that don't run parallel to a major road to carry all those buses.

3) You can't shut down the subway overnight. Plain and simple. No matter what kind of bus service you'd implement for overnight service, the trains will always be faster than buses, especially for inter-borough commuters. Contrary to your belief, express buses are not the be-all-end-all solution to the issues plaguing the subway.

4) While I won't claim to know what kind of renovation necessitates ADA accessibility, I do know that as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the mandate, 100 key stations must be accessible by 2020. That includes 68 St-Hunter College. Click here for the full list (add Dyckman St-Broadway to that list). Also, just to let you know, Kings Hwy (Brighton) is also on that list since it's a major transfer point as well as being a highly-used station, unlike the rest of Brighton, which ranks comparatively lower. Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with it seeing that I commute from Staten Island, but I think it's quite funny that these "outsiders" think so highly of the system.

It would be possible with more artics and better depot facilities in some cases. The problem is that the (MTA) is shunning buses instead of embracing them and trying to cram everyone onto the subway which is in terrible shape currently in terms of its infrastructure.

I didn't say the entire system. I said certain lines and at certain times of the night, yes it most certainly would be possible on select lines. In other instances, I would have riders use alternative subway lines.

Oh please... I've been one of the few that DOES support more ADA stations, so don't try to paint like I'm against that. What I'm against is how the (MTA) is going about it. :tdown:

Oh and one measly station on the Brighton line.... Wow wee... Well they deserve a pat on the back for that one and who do they expect is supposed to use if the majority of the other stations along the line are not ADA accessible? Completely pointless.

Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with it seeing that I commute from Staten Island, but I think it's quite funny that these "outsiders" think so highly of the system.

It would be possible with more artics and better depot facilities in some cases. The problem is that the (MTA) is shunning buses instead of embracing them and trying to cram everyone onto the subway which is in terrible shape currently in terms of its infrastructure.

I didn't say the entire system. I said certain lines and at certain times of the night, yes it most certainly would be possible on select lines. In other instances, I would have riders use alternative subway lines.

Oh please... I've been one of the few that DOES support more ADA stations, so don't try to paint like I'm against that. What I'm against is how the (MTA) is going about it. :tdown:

Oh and one measly station on the Brighton line.... Wow wee... Well they deserve a pat on the back for that one and who do they expect is supposed to use if the majority of the other stations along the line are not ADA accessible? Completely pointless.

Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

As noted, back in my day 68th was a heavily used station and it is likely even more so in 2011-'12. They need a second exit at 69th Street (or if the NIMBYs really are going to raise such a stench about 69th, do it at 70th Street, which would not be the worst thing since that would provide easier access to the 72nd Street crosstown bus).

As also noted, I'd be looking to add a 76th Street entrance to the 77th Street station because of the two schools that entrance would mainly serve.

Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

As noted, back in my day 68th was a heavily used station and it is likely even more so in 2011-'12. They need a second exit at 69th Street (or if the NIMBYs really are going to raise such a stench about 69th, do it at 70th Street, which would not be the worst thing since that would provide easier access to the 72nd Street crosstown bus).

As also noted, I'd be looking to add a 76th Street entrance to the 77th Street station because of the two schools that entrance would mainly serve.

Oh I have enough of rich snobs. You guys only run around bossing people like you are the boss. This has happened to me while I was in Brooklyn Bridge Park, and a Macy's. You rich people think because you have so much money you can label us poor and dumb. Well I will tell you rich snobs this "SHUT THE F**K UP I HAVE ENOUGH OF YOUR STUPID A** RANTS. YOU THINK YOU ARE ALL THAT WITH YOUR DAMN F**KING MONEY?"

Hmm.... I smell a hint of jealousy... Just a hint... :)

Oh I have enough of rich snobs. You guys only run around bossing people like you are the boss. This has happened to me while I was in Brooklyn Bridge Park, and a Macy's. You rich people think because you have so much money you can label us poor and dumb. Well I will tell you rich snobs this "SHUT THE F**K UP I HAVE ENOUGH OF YOUR STUPID A** RANTS. YOU THINK YOU ARE ALL THAT WITH YOUR DAMN F**KING MONEY?"

Hmm.... I smell a hint of jealousy... Just a hint... :)

What I find absolutely disgusting is how all of you are saying "they don't want a subway station there so they're ALL EVIL ELITISTS WHO ARE STEALING MONEY FROM EVERYONE AND SHOULD GO KILL THEMSELVES BECAUSE I'M POORER THAN THEM."

Blind rage made you forget that they're against the entrance, not a new station.

What I find absolutely disgusting is how all of you are saying "they don't want a subway station there so they're ALL EVIL ELITISTS WHO ARE STEALING MONEY FROM EVERYONE AND SHOULD GO KILL THEMSELVES BECAUSE I'M POORER THAN THEM."

Blind rage made you forget that they're against the entrance, not a new station.

Station, entrance, they mean the same thing in that context.

And if you want to talk about blind rage then just read what the guy two posts above this keeps spewing out.

Station, entrance, they mean the same thing in that context.

And if you want to talk about blind rage then just read what the guy two posts above this keeps spewing out.

Archived