68th Street Rehab (NIMBYism at its Finest)

Guest Lance

I'm not jealous. All the rich people I have met are all ******** so unless if there is one rich person that I have met that isn't one then I will keep my statement up thank you very much.

The pathetic thing is that most of the people on this forum will agree with your statement.

The following is just an example and definitely does not reflect how I feel, but this is the only way to properly illustrate my point.

If I were to make posts that were against black people and then said:

"All the black people I have met are all ******** so unless if there is one black person that I have met that isn't one then I will keep my statement up thank you very much."

You would all go off saying how you can't judge a group by what a couple of them have done to you. So use that same logic with rich people; not all of them are bad people, and you can't judge all of them based on what a few that you've met are like.

---

Edit: whoops, double post

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not jealous. All the rich people I have met are all ******** so unless if there is one rich person that I have met that isn't one then I will keep my statement up thank you very much.

The pathetic thing is that most of the people on this forum will agree with your statement.

The following is just an example and definitely does not reflect how I feel, but this is the only way to properly illustrate my point.

If I were to make posts that were against black people and then said:

"All the black people I have met are all ******** so unless if there is one black person that I have met that isn't one then I will keep my statement up thank you very much."

You would all go off saying how you can't judge a group by what a couple of them have done to you. So use that same logic with rich people; not all of them are bad people, and you can't judge all of them based on what a few that you've met are like.

---

Edit: whoops, double post

I would just close down 68th Street and make them bastards walk to the next station or grab MaBSTOA to go around... If they dont like it..

Theres crime all over the city, what do you expect? ITS THE CITY...

I personally think its a good idea to open up a new entrance to help heal the crowd at 68th, especially the Downtown side which REALLY needs help!

Noise problem?! If you dont like the noise, then move out of the damn city. I live in a place thats noises and i dont complaint. Even tho it annoys me, but this is what happens when you LIVE IN A CITY!!!

I would just close down 68th Street and make them bastards walk to the next station or grab MaBSTOA to go around... If they dont like it..

I personally think its a good idea to open up a new entrance to help heal the crowd at 68th, especially the Downtown side which REALLY needs help!

Noise problem?! If you dont like the noise, then move out of the damn city. I live in a place thats noises and i dont complaint. Even tho it annoys me, but this is what happens when you LIVE IN A CITY!!!

That's always the solution isn't it. Don't like the transportation in the suburbs? Move to the city! Don't like the noise in the city?? Move out to the suburbs.

That's always the solution isn't it. Don't like the transportation in the suburbs? Move to the city! Don't like the noise in the city?? Move out to the suburbs.

Closing 68th is not an option. (I know most people have been saying so in jest, but some seem serious). 68th and 77th are the busiest local stations in the system, and 59 is way too overcrowded as it is. sending 68th's load to 59 and 77 would be absolutely absurd. That said, 68th, being the busiest local station in the city(perhaps the busiest station with a single entrance in the city) needs relief. A 69th street entrance would solve a lot of problems which currently exist at 68th street.

And, yes, it IS elitist for residents on 69th street to think that they are more important than the overcrowded people of 68th street, who would be spared a substantial amount of sidewalk crowding if they built an entrance at 69th.

Considering all of this, I say we should get dressed up in rags and picket on 69th street for better placement of bum hotel entrances!

Closing 68th is not an option. (I know most people have been saying so in jest, but some seem serious). 68th and 77th are the busiest local stations in the system, and 59 is way too overcrowded as it is. sending 68th's load to 59 and 77 would be absolutely absurd. That said, 68th, being the busiest local station in the city(perhaps the busiest station with a single entrance in the city) needs relief. A 69th street entrance would solve a lot of problems which currently exist at 68th street.

And, yes, it IS elitist for residents on 69th street to think that they are more important than the overcrowded people of 68th street, who would be spared a substantial amount of sidewalk crowding if they built an entrance at 69th.

Considering all of this, I say we should get dressed up in rags and picket on 69th street for better placement of bum hotel entrances!

So let me get this straight. A criminal or bum can't walk a block from 68th St. to 69th... What I do know is, I use to go to school up there, and in the morning it would take minutes to get up the stairs because of crowding. Eleven years later and it's still like that...something needs to be done.

So let me get this straight. A criminal or bum can't walk a block from 68th St. to 69th... What I do know is, I use to go to school up there, and in the morning it would take minutes to get up the stairs because of crowding. Eleven years later and it's still like that...something needs to be done.

Oh that's preposterous! :mad:

Oh that's preposterous! :mad:

Im not saying they should actually close it, but these people need to stop whining over a stupid entrance. ITS AN ENTRANCE.. Not the end of the WORLD..

Same for those keep blabbing about the 2nd Avenue Subway hurting business. Well it needs to be done, at least to 96th Street to help cure up the overcrowding IRT Lex line.

More entrances will help relief crowding of other entrances. Tho the side affect could also bring in more swippers (if S/A and PD not around) and possibly bring in homeless/crime.. But that ain't new.. Its been in the city subway for years.

Well these people need to make up their minds.. These are the same people who complaint of terrable service that the (MTA) offers.. The (MTA) is getting things done, but then these people are crapping all over the place.

Its like when a G/O is in, half the people are like... oh why must it happen today, i have a party to attend... Then you got the others bashing the (MTA) for terrible maintenance.. Well people need to stfu if they can't make up there damn mind!

Im not saying they should actually close it, but these people need to stop whining over a stupid entrance. ITS AN ENTRANCE.. Not the end of the WORLD..

Same for those keep blabbing about the 2nd Avenue Subway hurting business. Well it needs to be done, at least to 96th Street to help cure up the overcrowding IRT Lex line.

More entrances will help relief crowding of other entrances. Tho the side affect could also bring in more swippers (if S/A and PD not around) and possibly bring in homeless/crime.. But that ain't new.. Its been in the city subway for years.

Well these people need to make up their minds.. These are the same people who complaint of terrable service that the (MTA) offers.. The (MTA) is getting things done, but then these people are crapping all over the place.

Its like when a G/O is in, half the people are like... oh why must it happen today, i have a party to attend... Then you got the others bashing the (MTA) for terrible maintenance.. Well people need to stfu if they can't make up there damn mind!

Guest lance25
Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with it seeing that I commute from Staten Island, but I think it's quite funny that these "outsiders" think so highly of the system.

I'll criticize the subway when I see fit. This isn't one of those times.

It would be possible with more artics and better depot facilities in some cases. The problem is that the (MTA) is shunning buses instead of embracing them and trying to cram everyone onto the subway which is in terrible shape currently in terms of its infrastructure.

Again, you fail to comprehend the fact that it would take at least ten buses to replace one train, especially if you're talking about shutting down important lines (i.e., most of the subway lines). You can argue with me, but you can't argue with figures and you sure can't convince me that better bus depot maintenance will allow for complete line shutdowns for any reason, especially during rush hours.

I didn't say the entire system. I said certain lines and at certain times of the night, yes it most certainly would be possible on select lines. In other instances, I would have riders use alternative subway lines.

And what lines would meet your criteria to be shut down overnights? Because, last time I checked, most lines are used quite heavily even during the late nights. The only lines you could even think of getting away with closing are the Dyre, Myrtle Ave and Rockaway Park shuttles. And even if you shut down those lines, they still have to pay for shuttle buses since for all three examples I just gave, there aren't any buses that parallel those lines and the one that runs along the Rockaway Park shuttle doesn't run late nights.

Oh please... I've been one of the few that DOES support more ADA stations, so don't try to paint like I'm against that. What I'm against is how the (MTA) is going about it. :tdown:

Again, how should they go about this? There aren't a whole lot of options on how to handle this. Without paying through the nose in expensive tunneling to put the new exit on another intersection, their only option is to build the new exits on 69th and Lexington or not build them at all.

Oh and one measly station on the Brighton line.... Wow wee... Well they deserve a pat on the back for that one and who do they expect is supposed to use if the majority of the other stations along the line are not ADA accessible? Completely pointless.

I don't know, maybe the thousands of people who use the Kings Hwy station. Like I said before, Kings Hwy has more riders than the rest of the Brighton stations. And also remember, the (MTA) pays for the ADA accessibility renovations out of their own pockets, so they can only make so many stations accessible without running out of money. They can only do the ones they deem are important.

Guest lance25
Uh, yeah, I'm familiar with it seeing that I commute from Staten Island, but I think it's quite funny that these "outsiders" think so highly of the system.

I'll criticize the subway when I see fit. This isn't one of those times.

It would be possible with more artics and better depot facilities in some cases. The problem is that the (MTA) is shunning buses instead of embracing them and trying to cram everyone onto the subway which is in terrible shape currently in terms of its infrastructure.

Again, you fail to comprehend the fact that it would take at least ten buses to replace one train, especially if you're talking about shutting down important lines (i.e., most of the subway lines). You can argue with me, but you can't argue with figures and you sure can't convince me that better bus depot maintenance will allow for complete line shutdowns for any reason, especially during rush hours.

I didn't say the entire system. I said certain lines and at certain times of the night, yes it most certainly would be possible on select lines. In other instances, I would have riders use alternative subway lines.

And what lines would meet your criteria to be shut down overnights? Because, last time I checked, most lines are used quite heavily even during the late nights. The only lines you could even think of getting away with closing are the Dyre, Myrtle Ave and Rockaway Park shuttles. And even if you shut down those lines, they still have to pay for shuttle buses since for all three examples I just gave, there aren't any buses that parallel those lines and the one that runs along the Rockaway Park shuttle doesn't run late nights.

Oh please... I've been one of the few that DOES support more ADA stations, so don't try to paint like I'm against that. What I'm against is how the (MTA) is going about it. :tdown:

Again, how should they go about this? There aren't a whole lot of options on how to handle this. Without paying through the nose in expensive tunneling to put the new exit on another intersection, their only option is to build the new exits on 69th and Lexington or not build them at all.

Oh and one measly station on the Brighton line.... Wow wee... Well they deserve a pat on the back for that one and who do they expect is supposed to use if the majority of the other stations along the line are not ADA accessible? Completely pointless.

I don't know, maybe the thousands of people who use the Kings Hwy station. Like I said before, Kings Hwy has more riders than the rest of the Brighton stations. And also remember, the (MTA) pays for the ADA accessibility renovations out of their own pockets, so they can only make so many stations accessible without running out of money. They can only do the ones they deem are important.

A possible compromise is they can just put some exit-only heets on both sides, no elevator or fare control area. The bigger problem is leaving the station, not entering. They can also put some vending machines on the street to reduce congestion and expand the number of turnstyles at 68th.

A possible compromise is they can just put some exit-only heets on both sides, no elevator or fare control area. The bigger problem is leaving the station, not entering. They can also put some vending machines on the street to reduce congestion and expand the number of turnstyles at 68th.

I'd agree with that, but the problem is that the MTA wants to put in an elevator for ADA purposes.

The turnstiles at 68th take up pretty much the entire mezzanine..can't really squeeze in any more turnstiles there

The way things are now, I really don't see much that can be done to relieve the crowding but to just build a new entrance.

I'd agree with that, but the problem is that the MTA wants to put in an elevator for ADA purposes.

The turnstiles at 68th take up pretty much the entire mezzanine..can't really squeeze in any more turnstiles there

The way things are now, I really don't see much that can be done to relieve the crowding but to just build a new entrance.

1) Just because I live in Westchester, it doesn't mean I'm not familiar with the subway. I've used the subway many a times over the years. It's called a "commute". Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept.

2) Ah, yes, the "shut down entire segments of lines so they'll get more work done faster" argument. Here's the problem with that. As I'm sure you're already aware of, the subway system transports millions of riders daily. Putting even a fraction of them on shuttle buses or SBS routes as you suggest would be damn near impossible. Not only are there not enough buses around to transport that many people for several weeks or months, there's also the problem with some routes that don't run parallel to a major road to carry all those buses.

3) You can't shut down the subway overnight. Plain and simple. No matter what kind of bus service you'd implement for overnight service, the trains will always be faster than buses, especially for inter-borough commuters. Contrary to your belief, express buses are not the be-all-end-all solution to the issues plaguing the subway.

4) While I won't claim to know what kind of renovation necessitates ADA accessibility, I do know that as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the mandate, 100 key stations must be accessible by 2020. That includes 68 St-Hunter College. Click here for the full list (add Dyckman St-Broadway to that list). Also, just to let you know, Kings Hwy (Brighton) is also on that list since it's a major transfer point as well as being a highly-used station, unlike the rest of Brighton, which ranks comparatively lower. Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

Lance some good points. I also agree you can't shut down entire lines down overnights for reasons you stated. However IMO the only exception to a subway line that could shut down overnights be the Rockaway Park (S) shuttle but that for another discussion)but in a case-case basis a few subway stations such as the Rector (N)(R), West 8th in Coney Island (F)(Q), etc. being examples. I know i might be criticzed for my stands above, but just wanted to clairfy and reply to what VG8 stated before in his proposal.

Back on this topic. 68th St/Lex does need a upgrade and station expansion says way back like back at least in 2000. With the 1st leg of the SAS not expected to open until towards the end of this decade, and a major college like Hunter at that station, something is needed. This is an example IMO where both parties i.e the (MTA) and a few rich slobs not speaking for 90% of the Upper East Side subway riders are wrong.

This is another example where the (MTA) needs to work closely with all neighborhoods citywide 'rich or poor' with better outreach and public relations. At same time, while the issue of screwing around with landmarks at the proposed 69th/Lex enterence, the very few NIMBY's are being selffish for the majority of neighborhood subway riders. And yes the majority of residents who live near the 68th/Lex are very rich some of them millionaries.

In this case (I don't use that station that often)there has to be room for compromise in this important upgrade. If nothing is done the big losers will both Hunter students and 68th St riders especially those in the ADA community.:tdown:

1) Just because I live in Westchester, it doesn't mean I'm not familiar with the subway. I've used the subway many a times over the years. It's called a "commute". Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept.

2) Ah, yes, the "shut down entire segments of lines so they'll get more work done faster" argument. Here's the problem with that. As I'm sure you're already aware of, the subway system transports millions of riders daily. Putting even a fraction of them on shuttle buses or SBS routes as you suggest would be damn near impossible. Not only are there not enough buses around to transport that many people for several weeks or months, there's also the problem with some routes that don't run parallel to a major road to carry all those buses.

3) You can't shut down the subway overnight. Plain and simple. No matter what kind of bus service you'd implement for overnight service, the trains will always be faster than buses, especially for inter-borough commuters. Contrary to your belief, express buses are not the be-all-end-all solution to the issues plaguing the subway.

4) While I won't claim to know what kind of renovation necessitates ADA accessibility, I do know that as part of the (MTA)'s compliance to the mandate, 100 key stations must be accessible by 2020. That includes 68 St-Hunter College. Click here for the full list (add Dyckman St-Broadway to that list). Also, just to let you know, Kings Hwy (Brighton) is also on that list since it's a major transfer point as well as being a highly-used station, unlike the rest of Brighton, which ranks comparatively lower. Also, whether you believe it or not, 68 St is used even more heavily, probably because of the college right outside of the station. So when you complain about the (MTA) adding an entrance and ADA accessibility to 68 St, just remember it's kind of necessary because 1) the agency doesn't want to get in trouble with the federal government for failing to comply with the arrangements they agreed to and 2) one exit is obviously not enough for such a busy station.

Lance some good points. I also agree you can't shut down entire lines down overnights for reasons you stated. However IMO the only exception to a subway line that could shut down overnights be the Rockaway Park (S) shuttle but that for another discussion)but in a case-case basis a few subway stations such as the Rector (N)(R), West 8th in Coney Island (F)(Q), etc. being examples. I know i might be criticzed for my stands above, but just wanted to clairfy and reply to what VG8 stated before in his proposal.

Back on this topic. 68th St/Lex does need a upgrade and station expansion says way back like back at least in 2000. With the 1st leg of the SAS not expected to open until towards the end of this decade, and a major college like Hunter at that station, something is needed. This is an example IMO where both parties i.e the (MTA) and a few rich slobs not speaking for 90% of the Upper East Side subway riders are wrong.

This is another example where the (MTA) needs to work closely with all neighborhoods citywide 'rich or poor' with better outreach and public relations. At same time, while the issue of screwing around with landmarks at the proposed 69th/Lex enterence, the very few NIMBY's are being selffish for the majority of neighborhood subway riders. And yes the majority of residents who live near the 68th/Lex are very rich some of them millionaries.

In this case (I don't use that station that often)there has to be room for compromise in this important upgrade. If nothing is done the big losers will both Hunter students and 68th St riders especially those in the ADA community.:tdown:

I was just reading the story in the first post. What could the (MTA) have done differently? They went to the community first with their ideas for their opinions and comments. Nowhere does it say that they were going ahead with the construction and that the community was caught off-guard. They had an idea, and rather than wasting time just tossing around just a thought to everybody (which would delay the rehabilitation process), they put something substantial together to show the community and revealed it at a community board meeting, not in a DOT/DOB request for easement for construction. Yet the response is "the (MTA) is just doing what they want." How is the agency not taking the community into consideration in the early stages of this design?

68 St-Hunter College is a very busy station and to have one entrance isn't adequate, and to be frank, potentially hazardous. Expanding the current exit will barely help, since the street exits can't be expanded (street real estate rarely ever grows). The SAS isn't the only way to relieve overcrowding on the Lex.

If the community doesn't want it, build an exit at 70 or 67 Sts and tunnel it into the station. Just don't complain that the (MTA) wastes money, cause this waste of money would be entirely the neighborhood's fault.

P.S.: The A.D.A. entrance would be at 68 St, so that can't be used as an argument for anything.

I was just reading the story in the first post. What could the (MTA) have done differently? They went to the community first with their ideas for their opinions and comments. Nowhere does it say that they were going ahead with the construction and that the community was caught off-guard. They had an idea, and rather than wasting time just tossing around just a thought to everybody (which would delay the rehabilitation process), they put something substantial together to show the community and revealed it at a community board meeting, not in a DOT/DOB request for easement for construction. Yet the response is "the (MTA) is just doing what they want." How is the agency not taking the community into consideration in the early stages of this design?

68 St-Hunter College is a very busy station and to have one entrance isn't adequate, and to be frank, potentially hazardous. Expanding the current exit will barely help, since the street exits can't be expanded (street real estate rarely ever grows). The SAS isn't the only way to relieve overcrowding on the Lex.

If the community doesn't want it, build an exit at 70 or 67 Sts and tunnel it into the station. Just don't complain that the (MTA) wastes money, cause this waste of money would be entirely the neighborhood's fault.

P.S.: The A.D.A. entrance would be at 68 St, so that can't be used as an argument for anything.

Which is it? Earlier you said that they're aren't many homeless people on the Upper East Side and that they won't congregate there anyway because they would be taken away, but now they are homeless people everywhere? Talk about flip-flopping. Thank you for making my point. The homeless folks are flocking to 5th Avenue and other affluent parts of the city in droves and this is certainly NOT what the Upper East Side needs with the economic disaster on 2nd Avenue. What should be happening is that these homeless folks should be given help. I see several homeless folks that are clearly in need of psychological help that are out and about everyday talking to themselves and such. All it takes is one incident for them to snap.

Apparently two simple points are blowing your mind so I will make them in bulleted form so that you (perhaps) understand them:

1-Relative to other sections of the subway, less homeless people "live" inside UES subway stations

2-Homeless people, however, are everywhere in this city, including on the UES, and the addition of one new subway entrance to an already existing station is not going to cause more homeless people to congregate in that station.

Oh please. Don't even try it. Eric Gioia represents several neighborhoods (Woodside, Sunnyside, Long Island City, Astoria and Maspeth) and Woodside and Sunnyside are hard working middle class areas.

The rest of those are not, and Long Island City has had its concerns voiced the most frequently and most loudest...because that's where the moneyed interests are.

No offense, but I lived blocks from the Sheepshead Bay train station for almost all of my life and most of the Russians don't even speak English, so what sort of "peep" would you expect?? :confused:

Ah, yes, the old "the poor people don't speak any English" argument. Care to try again?

Yet another example of your hypocrisy. You can't stand folks on the Upper East Side and yet you live there. I knew it was something... :P

On the contrary...I remember this neighborhood when it was more middle class before all these out of town complainers moved in and joined forces with the old bitties that everyone here used to mock and deride.

Yeah yeah yeah... Just keep on bashing the Upper East Side. If you hate the folks over there so much, then what in the world are you doing living there?? :confused: Makes no sense to me.

I'm not bashing anything except the willingness of those with nothing better to do to fight pointless battles. I'm sure if you took a general survey of the subway riding population living between 65th and 72nd streets, between York and Madison Avenue - a majority of them would actually favor adding a second entrance.

Well let's see... 72nd street is a high density area so yeah considering the mess that they're created on the Upper East Side you can call it a drop in the bucket. Yeah, how many businesses have gone under because of the (MTA)up there?? :tdown:

Most of the businesses that have suffered the most because of SAS construction are north of 86th Street.

Oh no, folks with old money... Now isn't that a crime in a capitalist society... ;)

It's not a crime, but it shows who society seems to want to listen to. ALL MEN AND WOMEN ARE CREATED EQUAL but in your world I guess only those with money matter.

Oh don't even try it. I was one of the few who stood up for the disabled in previous threads when others were sitting here talking about how we don't need to build ADA stations because they're a minority.

Like I said, wasn't in those threads so I don't know what you're talking about, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.

Of course it has nothing to do with the disabled because you just want to slam the affluent folks and I'm going to call you on it.

I slam anyone who stands in the way of progress and improvement. If they attempt to use their money to stand in the way of progress and improvement, then I'm going to call them out on that too.

I was in them and I'm calling them out too. Bunch of hypocrites.

Again, wasn't in those threads...

My question is why can't they even look at other options first? Is that such a crime? I'm not disputing it being a law. All I'm saying is that they should try to work with the community to find a better alternative that makes both sides happy; the community and the riders. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but in case there's a problem only because the community happens to be of money so let's deny them their request to punish them because they have money right? Talk about a cheap shot.

And all I'm saying is what other options are there? An entrance exists at 68th Street, an entrance does not exist at 69th Street. Other streets are not within station limits.

Hmm... Well try telling that to the women that are being attacked that are walking from the train station.

People don't blame the subway for the spike in crime. Do you even pay attention to the news with what's going on in Sunset Park?

Really? And what proof do you have that it won't?

What proof do you have that it will besides the irrational fear mongering of a few rich people?

Yeah jealous another hater... Typical...

Ah yes, we're back to your logic...anyone that rips the rich for their hypocrisy and exclusive self interest must be "jealous". We don't care about their stupid money, we are tired of hearing about it, and we are sick of them using it to get their way while those without money simply have to "deal with it" at every twist and turn.

Archived