Post your most recent purchase

YankeesPwnMets

Just bought some O scale subway cars, a 2 car Low-V set and a 3 Car Q Type set all for $225. Not a bad deal if your into that sort of thing...

Haha, I always wanted an O scale layout but I had no space to permit it. Always stuck to HO and it seems all the good stuff are O scale. I think the best HO scale I had was the Acela special.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, I always wanted an O scale layout but I had no space to permit it. Always stuck to HO and it seems all the good stuff are O scale. I think the best HO scale I had was the Acela special.

I don't have the space for a layout either, that's why the subway are I do have either sit on a book shelf or in the box. The cars I bought I can easily sell for double on eBay.

@VG8: What job do you have that allows you to have time to eat a $114 lunch? Even though I have a high paying job and get to collect rent from some condos and a house in Philly, I only have time to go eating big lunches/dinners during weekends, if I'm hungry, I'd just get something cheap and quick like a slice of pizza or a granola bar, sometimes fruit. I rarely eat out on work nights because of time.

Also, with a high paying job like yours, wouldn't you just need to wear a suit to work? :P

@VG8: What job do you have that allows you to have time to eat a $114 lunch? Even though I have a high paying job and get to collect rent from some condos and a house in Philly, I only have time to go eating big lunches/dinners during weekends, if I'm hungry, I'd just get something cheap and quick like a slice of pizza or a granola bar, sometimes fruit. I rarely eat out on work nights because of time.

Also, with a high paying job like yours, wouldn't you just need to wear a suit to work? :P

LOL... I work in Midtown so there are plenty of expensive restaurants to eat at; some are good and just about all of them are overpriced because it's Midtown. We have Morton's Steakhouse right downstairs in the office building and La Fonda del Sol is only 3 short blocks away. I'm a regular there so I get the usual waiters and they know how to get my food to me quickly, otherwise I get cranky and I start deducting from their tip... :mad: For example, I got very cranky when I went to this French place for dinner and the waiter took his sweet time getting my wine. I forgot what I said, but perhaps the look of disgust on my face sent the message home because my next glass of French sparkling wine was on the house @ a cool $12.00. :cool: Since he made nice with the free glass of wine, I tipped him $20.00. That night I had a filet mignon dish that was about $44.00, though their dishes and prices can change, as that dish is now $39.00. :( That is the most I've spent on one dish ever, but it was worth it. :cool: Benoit is another high end restaurant that I frequent, particularly when I visit the MoMA one of Alain Ducasse's restaurants. :cool:

It's easy to spend $80 - 90 in La Fonda del Sol before tipping because it's fine dining. The cheapest glass of wine is $9.00, so I usually have two glasses of wine at ~$11.00 - $12.00 each and then a dessert wine which can be $10.00 - 20.00. Then I order some tapas. Last time I actually missed lunch so I just had tapas and wine with no main dish. Here's what I ordered last Tuesday (I don't eat breakfast, so lunch is my main meal of the day):

Food (Tapas):

1 Spanish tortilla @ $4.50

1 Manchego cheese croquetas w/mushrooms @ $9.50

1 Calamari @ $9.50

1 Chorizo Empanadas @ $9.50

1 Scallop Pinxtos @ $9.50

Wine:

1 Brut Cava (from Penèdes, Spain) @ $12.00

1 Ermita (from Spain) @ $11.00

Dessert Wine:

1 Torrontes (dessert wine from Argentina) @ $10.00

Dessert:

1 Goat Cheesecake w/figs and honey @ $9.00

Coffee:

1 Macchiato @ $3.50

Total before tax: $88.00

Tax: $ 7.81

Tip: $18.00

Grand Total: $113.81

Sounds like a lot of food, but those are just tapas, so one or two bites and you're done and on to the next dish. Desserts are small also since it's fine dining and a European spot, although the goat cheesecake w/figs & honey was bigger than expected. :cool:

As for what I do, I'm a linguist. I'm officially referred to as a Project Manager, but I'm the Coordinator of our Translations Department. Sometimes if I want a long lunch I'll just take the afternoon off and go since I have plenty of vacation days that I don't use, but other times I can have a nice lunch in an hour. :cool:

Since I don't have much interactions with clients, I don't always have to wear a suit and tie. Ideally if I'm meeting with a client I will, but a few Fridays ago, I had to meet over at L'Oréal for a breakfast presentation and I just wore an Italian dress shirt with some nicely cut American pants and some narrow Italian shoes since I was dealing with my interpreters behind the scenes and not interacting with the client directly, but I was still dressed professionally. Believe me, my boss is very strict about dressing well and I'm always well dressed, even without a tie. Had I worn a tie I would've been really swank, but it was Friday and I had to be there at 07:00 in the morning for a breakfast so I was barely awake. Generally speaking however, I always wear a suit and tie when meeting clients or at least a tie with a dress shirt and well cut pants and good comfy Italian shoes if it's hot. :cool:

I have a friend who was in the IT field, he was making around $125 an hour and no suit required, he was actually worked at home but does have an office in the city as well. Shame he recently got outsourced.

Yep, our IT guy would charge about $100.00 an hour and he always visited the office in a shirt and jeans. :eek:

LOL... I work in Midtown so there are plenty of expensive restaurants to eat at; some are good and just about all of them are overpriced because it's Midtown. We have Morton's Steakhouse right downstairs in the office building and La Fonda del Sol is only 3 short blocks away. I'm a regular there so I get the usual waiters and they know how to get my food to me quickly, otherwise I get cranky and I start deducting from their tip... :mad: For example, I got very cranky when I went to this French place for dinner and the waiter took his sweet time getting my wine. I forgot what I said, but perhaps the look of disgust on my face sent the message home because my next glass of French sparkling wine was on the house @ a cool $12.00. :cool: Since he made nice with the free glass of wine, I tipped him $20.00. That night I had a filet mignon dish that was $44.00. That is the most I've spent on one dish ever, but it was worth it. :cool: Benoit is another high end restaurant that I frequent, one of Alain Ducasse's restaurants. :cool:

It's easy to spend $80 - 90 in that place before tipping because it's fine dining. The cheapest glass of wine is $9.00, so I usually have two glasses of wine at ~$11.00 - $12.00 each and then a dessert wine which can be $10.00 - 20.00. Then I order some tapas. Last time I actually missed lunch so I just had tapas and wine with no main dish. Here's what I ordered last Tuesday (I don't eat breakfast, so lunch is my main meal of the day):

Food (Tapas):

1 Spanish tortilla @ $4.50

1 Manchego cheese croquetas w/mushrooms @ $9.50

1 Calamari @ $9.50

1 Chorizo Empanadas @ $9.50

1 Scallop Pinxtos @ $9.50

Wine:

1 Brut Cava (from Penèdes, Spain) @ $12.00

1 Ermita (from Spain) @ $11.00

Dessert Wine:

1 Torrontes (dessert wine from Argentina) @ $10.00

Dessert:

1 Goat Cheesecake w/figs and honey @ $9.00

Coffee:

1 Macchiato @ $3.50

Total before tax: $88.00

Tax: $ 7.81

Tip: $18.00

Grand Total: $113.81

Sounds like a lot of food, but those are just tapas, so one or two bites and you're done and on to the next dish. Desserts are small also since it's fine dining and a European spot, although the goat cheesecake w/figs & honey was bigger than expected. :cool:

To me that was one hell of a waste of money, when I drop $100 on a meal it's gotta be something big. I have no problem spending the same amount, but I'd do it at Peter Luger's or some other really good steak house. If that's what your into, cool, but I couldn't spend that much on a bunch of appetizers.

To me that was one hell of a waste of money, when I drop $100 on a meal it's gotta be something big. I have no problem spending the same amount, but I'd do it at Peter Luger's or some other really good steak house. If that's what your into, cool, but I couldn't spend that much on a bunch of appetizers.

That's why it's called fine dining... :P

Peter Lugars is okay, but it's not fine dining. It's a steak house. Completely different. You're comparing a high end Spanish restaurant to a steak house... LOL

Morton's is awesome, but normally, I don't drink wine unless it's a special occasion, or when I'm with friends. I prefer a glass of iced water instead :tup:

Ugh... Iced water... Probably tap water too.... :eek:

i never spend more than $30 on a meal, the most expensive meal I bought was at Benehanas which was $25, and $23 all you can eat chinese buffet (my personal favorite cuz they have all you can eat sushi)

I tend to average about $7 per meal cuz when im out i tend to eat fast food or pizza place or chinese takeout

i never spend more than $30 on a meal, the most expensive meal I bought was at Benehanas which was $25, and $23 all you can eat chinese buffet (my personal favorite cuz they have all you can eat sushi)

I tend to average about $7 per meal cuz when im out i tend to eat fast food or pizza place or chinese takeout

lol... Yeah well I don't eat at those fast food chains. I ate at Subway about a month ago for the first time in years and that was just a veggie sandwich with a veggie patty and tons of veggies. No artificial soda or any of that crap. I had a Perrier with me which I drank. Burger King, McDonald's and that stuff I don't touch, so we clearly have different tastes when talking about fine dining and such. My "fast" food would be prepared foods from Whole Foods. Had a turkey burger from there today for $6.99 with some cranberry couscous.... Good stuff. :drool:

lol... Yeah well I don't eat at those fast food chains. I ate at Subway about a month ago for the first time in years and that was just a veggie sandwich with a veggie patty and tons of veggies. No artificial soda or any of that crap. I had a Perrier with me which I drank. Burger King, McDonald's and that stuff I don't touch, so we clearly have different tastes when talking about fine dining and such. My "fast" food would be prepared foods from Whole Foods. Had a turkey burger from there today for $6.99 with some cranberry couscous.... Good stuff. :drool:

you'll probably laugh but my idea of 'fine dining' is like Benehana, Olive Garden or Red Lobster or Outback Stakehouse, or those all you can eat Chinese Buffets.

Applebees and TGI Fridays and sit down Pizzerias like (Mangia Benes in Great Neck) is like midrange.

and fast food is like the low end obviously.

you'll probably laugh but my idea of 'fine dining' is like Benehana, Olive Garden or Red Lobster or Outback Stakehouse, or those all you can eat Chinese Buffets.

Applebees and TGI Fridays and sit down Pizzerias like (Mangia Benes in Great Neck) is like midrange.

and fast food is like the low end obviously.

LMAO... Yeah I did laugh while sitting here in my office... Applebee's and TGI Fridays.... I avoid those places like the plague. Certainly not the healthiest to eat in. I mean of course I have fast food here and there but some of those chains, particularly Applebee's and TGI Friday's are rated as being some of the worst restaurants in terms of healthy and what they put in their food (which is God knows what). Applebee's... I had a few mini burgers of theirs w/french fries and some beers years ago over in Sheepshead Bay, and it tasted like someone just threw them in the microwave.... In other words, totally prepared in advance as in full of preservatives. Back to TGI Friday's... A co-worker of mine who has since retired loved that place so I would go with him to make him happy, but that's another grease joint. I always ordered the same thing too because I didn't trust their food. There's one on 5th Avenue that should be closed down. So outdated and just makes me feel dirty thinking about eating in there. The one by Grand Central seems a bit cleaner but not by much. I'm sure the one that you eat at is a bit more newer and cleaner since you're out in Long Island. The suburban spots tend to be cleaner.

And the others you've mentioned I wouldn't step foot in. One of my Italian students took me to Olive Garden (he's actually a good friend of mine now for years) and I found the breadsticks or whatever they call themselves making there to be so generic and gross. I forget what I even ordered, but I didn't enjoy anything. Then I asked the waiter where the wine was from and he didn't even know. LOL Definitely not high end, that's for sure, and as an Italian-American, I would never step foot in there again, as I find it to be an insult to Italian cuisine.

Not to worry though. You're only 24. See, when I was 23, I did an extensive amount of traveling in Italy mainly and a bit in Germany and also up in Canada, so I was used to more fine dining and such. My dad was actually a cook in the army for the short time that he served, so I suppose that's who I get my food snobbery from. I love cooking and the Cooking Channel I watch often. :cool:

Some Doritos and a bottle of Pepsi I bought from 179th Street on the (F). Cost me $2.75 total.

$2.75 for junk food?? Wow... Pepsi must be quite expensive these days. I haven't drank any in years. How much do they charge for those 20 ozs now and days? Doritos, I remember a decent sized bag being .50 cents or something and those 20 oz thingys were maybe $1.50 or or $1.75. Sounds like you got ripped off?? :eek:

I'm curious... If I may ask, since you ride the express bus more now, do you still do the Pay-Per-Ride or the $50.00 unlimited weekly? Just wondering because at $5.50 a pop even if you're only doing it one way Monday - Friday, it comes out cheaper to just get Express Bus Plus card.

I still do PPR's... habit-forming....

To be honest, I never stopped to think how much of a savings it is, using the unltd's....

I still do PPR's... habit-forming....

To be honest, I never stopped to think how much of a savings it is, using the unltd's....

Interesting... Well you do get a bonus on those but I hate it because there's always some weird amount left over, so it's like you get jipped. :mad: I had to buy a Pay-Per-Ride last week because I misplaced one of Unlimited cards for the express bus in one of my pants' pockets a few weeks back and had to break in a backup Unlimited card on the X17J one morning. I lost two days on that misplaced one which I'm waiting to be refunded for (Amex is disputing it for me).

I love the Unlimited cards though because I can hop off of one bus and onto another. This morning was the perfect example. The X14 wasn't coming so I hopped on an S54 to Victory & Manor and I was going to take the S93 if it came to the X2, which would've been a new fare of course on a Pay-Per-Ride. I've also gotten on express buses after having missed my bus so that I can catch up to it and then get off and run and catch it. lol Some of the B/Os don't like but too bad. That's why it's unlimited.

On 5th Avenue what I do is time the buses so that I walk out of the building to catch either a M3, M4 or Q32 over at 45th and then get off at 42nd and catch an M2 or M5 limited to 14th. If a M14 is there, I'll hop on that to get over to Whole Foods, which saves me from having to schlepp over to Grand Central, or if I'm really in a rebel mood, I'll just take an X10 or X17 down to Whole Foods. :cool:

Of course anytime I have to travel to visit a client like when I went to Yonkers and took the express bus up to Riverdale, I use my card and get reimbursed for it, so I get pretty good use out of those cards. :cool:

$2.75 for junk food?? Wow... Pepsi must be quite expensive these days. I haven't drank any in years. How much do they charge for those 20 ozs now and days? Doritos, I remember a decent sized bag being .50 cents or something and those 20 oz thingys were maybe $1.50 or or $1.75. Sounds like you got ripped off?? :eek:

Sounds more like I'm not going into fancy restaurants (are there even any in Jamaica?) and ordering $110.00 worth of fancy entrees and such.

Had lunch yesterday on my day off at Tarallucci e vino... $93.40 was the bill w/the $13.00 tip. I tipped lower because I hate having to call over a waiter. They should always make sure that I'm taken care of. :mad:

Anywho, stopped at Saks afterwards and got two dress shirts from Italy and a handmade tie from Italy. It was $720.00, but then I got a 20% discount which made it $605.00. :cool: The catch was the discount started today so I prepaid w/my Amex Gold card and then walked down the few blocks from my office here on 5th and picked up the goods today during my lunch break. :cool:

$93.40 was the bill w/the $13.00 tip.

~100 on lunch/day.... 500 a week... 2000 a month... 24k/year....

do what you want w/ your money... I still find it funny that some ppl. don't even earn 24k a year, and here you are pretty much eatin & poopin/shittin that away just on lunch every weekday....

I aint sayin get ya checkmatechamp on, but you don't find that to be a little over the top.... just a little?

lol... Sounds FANCY... But no I don't think they have those sorts of restaurants in Jamaica, but you still got ripped off. LOL

Not withstanding to him, but in general, I do think the prices on 20 oz. sodas are a ripoff... If I do get sprites (which is the only soda I drink), it's always the cans (I'd rather pay a dollar for a can, than $1.50 for a bottle).... I was just talkin about that w/ my homegirls yesterday... we were reminiscing when you could by a slice & a soda for 2 bucks... when you could buy a pie & a 2 liter for less than $10....

when it comes to ripoff prices of sodas, snacks, etc., I'm convinced... nothin is worse than those hudson news'.... $1.19 for a 25 cent bag of chips? 2.00 for a 20 oz....

Archived