MTA Smart Cards coming

chrisliz09

The MTA is going to move forward with its new card the smart card will be here by 2014 2015 replacing the metro card that came out in 95, if anyone know the trolly card in boston MA its going to be just like that one you can keep it in your wallet and just tap and keep going., its also better that it can help with tapering the buy a ride. with this they will also change the turnstiles that are way too eas to jump over and beat the fairs. i cant wait for the card to come out im first in line lol

The MTA is going to move forward with its new card the smart card will be here by 2014 2015 replacing the metro card that came out in 95, if anyone know the trolly card in boston MA its going to be just like that one you can keep it in your wallet and just tap and keep going., its also better that it can help with tapering the buy a ride. with this they will also change the turnstiles that are way too eas to jump over and beat the fairs. i cant wait for the card to come out im first in line lol

Does this mean that we won't get any benefit by purchasing unlimited metrocards? What i mean is, i pay $29 for the weekly card, but based on the amount of times i use it, if i were to pay $2.25 each time i swipe it (Not including free transfers), i would probably end up using almost twice as much money. So, with this "SmartCard", i will not be able to save money? Am i understanding this correctly?

Does this mean that we won't get any benefit by purchasing unlimited metrocards? What i mean is, i pay $29 for the weekly card, but based on the amount of times i use it, if i were to pay $2.25 each time i swipe it (Not including free transfers), i would probably end up using almost twice as much money. So, with this "SmartCard", i will not be able to save money? Am i understanding this correctly?

New topic or not, I'll believe it when I see it. Besides wasn't it supposed to be a pilot program? I saw it at select train stations and on some M14 buses and since then I haven't seen it at all... :confused:

Yes it is in pilot still (which i thought would end a while ago). Paypass.

Found on the Lex IRT and one station in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens.

As well as MaBSTOAs 100th Street Buses (and i think a few other artic routes).

Heres more:

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=100601-HQ20

(2010)

New topic or not, I'll believe it when I see it. Besides wasn't it supposed to be a pilot program? I saw it at select train stations and on some M14 buses and since then I haven't seen it at all... :confused:

Heres more:

(2010)

Heres more:

(2010)

That was somewhat different, the ones you speak of allows customers to pay with their credit / debit cards and such if it was paypass enabled (as you can see on your debit/credit cards). This new smartcard deal is to evidently replace the old Metrocard. I just hope its a one-hit deal and allows you to use that same card on PATH. I used to use my debit card just to go through on the Lex & the M14A, quite convenient I must say!

Heres more:

(2010)

That was somewhat different, the ones you speak of allows customers to pay with their credit / debit cards and such if it was paypass enabled (as you can see on your debit/credit cards). This new smartcard deal is to evidently replace the old Metrocard. I just hope its a one-hit deal and allows you to use that same card on PATH. I used to use my debit card just to go through on the Lex & the M14A, quite convenient I must say!

You're right. So then how exactly would it work? You would have smart cards and the Paypass option? :confused: I never tried them since I think they only take Mastercard and Visa and I don't like using my Mastercard credit cards for that stuff. I prefer to use my Amex charge card.

You're right. So then how exactly would it work? You would have smart cards and the Paypass option? :confused: I never tried them since I think they only take Mastercard and Visa and I don't like using my Mastercard credit cards for that stuff. I prefer to use my Amex charge card.

My guess is that people would buy the smart cards (at a fee), keep it and fill it up and reuse. Those who trash it (im sure there will be), buy another one.

I wonder how this is gonna stop fare evasion. If it does..

My guess is that people would buy the smart cards (at a fee), keep it and fill it up and reuse. Those who trash it (im sure there will be), buy another one.

I wonder how this is gonna stop fare evasion. If it does..

Sounds like the SmartTrip card on the Washington DC Metro. I like it better, don't have to fumble with your Metrocard, instead, it can read right through your wallet (most the time). I hope they make it more sturdy than the MetroCard, more like a credit card instead. I had the same card in DC for years, still have it actually, so im ready to go anytime. I cant imagine keeping the same Metrocard for that long. A small fee to buy the card in addition to the money you put on it is the incentive used to make you keep it for the long term and not throw it away when it runs out.

Cant see how it would reduce fare evasion though, I think i saw someone suggest it would.

Sounds like the SmartTrip card on the Washington DC Metro. I like it better, don't have to fumble with your Metrocard, instead, it can read right through your wallet (most the time). I hope they make it more sturdy than the MetroCard, more like a credit card instead. I had the same card in DC for years, still have it actually, so im ready to go anytime. I cant imagine keeping the same Metrocard for that long. A small fee to buy the card in addition to the money you put on it is the incentive used to make you keep it for the long term and not throw it away when it runs out.

Cant see how it would reduce fare evasion though, I think i saw someone suggest it would.

It wont, but from what I hope, I do hope it lowers (or eradicates) panhandling fare swipers.

Not too sure, I just wonder if this Smartcard will be similar to PATH's system and other systems that have followed along the way of the Smartcard. Though it would be wise to have an alternate source of fare payment.

It wont, but from what I hope, I do hope it lowers (or eradicates) panhandling fare swipers.

Not too sure, I just wonder if this Smartcard will be similar to PATH's system and other systems that have followed along the way of the Smartcard. Though it would be wise to have an alternate source of fare payment.

I hope that whatever system that follows the metrocard gives bus operators the power to have it noted in the system that unlimited card being passed back. to many strike on one card and the card gets deactivated. And sorry to get off topic i wish there was another way with the metrocard to confirm payment. to often metrocard magnetic strips are damaged on purpose to evade fares, there could be a 3D bar code that can be scanned or type in serial numbers. also If a card has been damaged we give the ride free but with a punch we mark it with damaged so that card can not be used again.

Archived