MTA Smart Cards coming

chrisliz09

It wont, but from what I hope, I do hope it lowers (or eradicates) panhandling fare swipers.

I hope that whatever system that follows the metrocard gives bus operators the power to have it noted in the system that unlimited card being passed back. to many strike on one card and the card gets deactivated. And sorry to get off topic i wish there was another way with the metrocard to confirm payment. to often metrocard magnetic strips are damaged on purpose to evade fares, there could be a 3D bar code that can be scanned or type in serial numbers. also If a card has been damaged we give the ride free but with a punch we mark it with damaged so that card can not be used again.

I hope that whatever system that follows the metrocard gives bus operators the power to have it noted in the system that unlimited card being passed back. to many strike on one card and the card gets deactivated. And sorry to get off topic i wish there was another way with the metrocard to confirm payment. to often metrocard magnetic strips are damaged on purpose to evade fares, there could be a 3D bar code that can be scanned or type in serial numbers. also If a card has been damaged we give the ride free but with a punch we mark it with damaged so that card can not be used again.

Interesting... How do you know that the cards are damaged on purpose?

Speaking of wishes, I wish that it would be easier for us folks to board when we do have a legitimate damaged card and that we could have the cards replaced immediately rather than it taken months to reimbursed. The only way that I get reimbursed quickly is if I report the card lost.

Speaking of wishes, I wish that it would be easier for us folks to board when we do have a legitimate damaged card and that we could have the cards replaced immediately rather than it taken months to reimbursed. The only way that I get reimbursed quickly is if I report the card lost.

People do bend; scratch the cards so it comes up a read error on purpose. They think that have an unlimited metrocard for life. I do ask to see the card and once they give me some bull crap I know what they are doing. I'll tell you when I pull into a stop I can guess 90% of the time who is paying and who not, it something that we just pick up. it usually the person that locks eyes when you enter the stop(sizing you up) then lets everyone else on the dips a card with triple zeros then puts in the not functioning card in the IFU and says card supposed to have a transfers I just got off blah blah blah, meanwhile the card is bent to shit. It even funnier when I bend it back it and it has no money on it or is expired. Shit I once had some a few weeks ago told me that the unlimited card expires on 10/5/11 or something like that. I look on the back of the card the card itself expired on sept of 2010, a full year of fare beating. I took the card told her to take a seat and that the end of that.

People do bend; scratch the cards so it comes up a read error on purpose. They think that have an unlimited metrocard for life. I do ask to see the card and once they give me some bull crap I know what they are doing. I'll tell you when I pull into a stop I can guess 90% of the time who is paying and who not, it something that we just pick up. it usually the person that locks eyes when you enter the stop(sizing you up) then lets everyone else on the dips a card with triple zeros then puts in the not functioning card in the IFU and says card supposed to have a transfers I just got off blah blah blah, meanwhile the card is bent to shit. It even funnier when I bend it back it and it has no money on it or is expired. Shit I once had some a few weeks ago told me that the unlimited card expires on 10/5/11 or something like that. I look on the back of the card the card itself expired on sept of 2010, a full year of fare beating. I took the card told her to take a seat and that the end of that.

LMAO! Well here's my question. I've had a few B/Os give me a hard time (not many but a few have to be difficult) when I had a legitimate damaged card or when it took a long time to read and I even was willing to show them my receipt. This was years ago on a B4. I had bought two Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards and the first card got messed up by a dirty reader on the first dip nonetheless on the S54. I think it read it but it took a long time to do so or the B/O just waived me on, so on the X10 it would not read. :mad: The B/O let me on after seeing me become irritated because #1 I had already bought the maximum amount of Metrocards on my debit card (2 per card and then no more for 5 days on a card per an (MTA) customer rep. that I spoke with) and could not buy anymore for the next 5 days and I wasn't using credit cards at the time, so my debit card was my only bet and I did not want to spend another $41 after having already bought two cards. I didn't want to pay in cash because I would get a ton of coins back unless I went to a teller, but then I wouldn't have a receipt.

Anyway, I got on the B4 and the B/O clearly saw that it said "Read Error" and he proceeds to give me a hard time talking about "You should pay your fare" like I was trying to jip the system. I refused to use my other new Metrocard because I had just bought those two cards and it was the weekend so I wanted the messed up one to be turned in first on Monday before I used the new one since that was basically the earliest that anything could be done with the damaged card. Since I had my receipt, I see no need for him to give me a hard time. He could've clearly matched the serial code on the card and could've seen the date that it was purchased, because I got both cards the day before I started using the first new card.

I had a similar situation on the X1 years back (2007 I think) where the farebox was apparently dirty. I always keep a spare Unlimited Express Bus Plus card on me, but that's only for if I lose or misplace my card. I am not paying for a dirty fare box. No way. They can call the cops and I will gladly show them my receipt for proof of purchase. On the X1, the B/O told me I needed to use another Metrocard. Real wiseguy, so I said No I'm not using a new card and kept dipping and eventually it worked and that shut him up quickly. What I do now is if I have a bad Metrocard, I will just call up the (MTA) and report it as lost because you get your money back way quicker (something like 2-3 days refunded back to your card in terms of the amount of days owed or whatever). When they're malfunctioned Unlimited Express Bus cards, you have to turn them in and even if you go in person as I have, it still takes a good 3 weeks or more to get reimbursed which is ridiculous. So they've already got your money and are basically making interest on it, which is why I refuse to use a new one until the old one can be reported as "lost" this way I get my money back as quickly as possible. Meanwhile with a Pay-Per-Ride card you can just go to a teller and they can replace the card right there on the spot. That set up certainly needs to be changed. :mad: That's one thing that I hope that the smart card brings... Dreams... Dreams!!!! :P

What is good though is if you call customer service and tell that you need to use your card to make more than two purchases for Metrocards in a 5 day period, they will unblock your card. I think you should be given 4 purchases every 5 days, this way folks who have to buy the weekly express bus card can just get 4 of them in one shot on one card and be done for the month.

LMAO! Well here's my question. I've had a few B/Os give me a hard time (not many but a few have to be difficult) when I had a legitimate damaged card or when it took a long time to read and I even was willing to show them my receipt. This was years ago on a B4. I had bought two Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards and the first card got messed up by a dirty reader on the first dip nonetheless on the S54. I think it read it but it took a long time to do so or the B/O just waived me on, so on the X10 it would not read. :mad: The B/O let me on after seeing me become irritated because #1 I had already bought the maximum amount of Metrocards on my debit card (2 per card and then no more for 5 days on a card per an (MTA) customer rep. that I spoke with) and could not buy anymore for the next 5 days and I wasn't using credit cards at the time, so my debit card was my only bet and I did not want to spend another $41 after having already bought two cards. I didn't want to pay in cash because I would get a ton of coins back unless I went to a teller, but then I wouldn't have a receipt.

Anyway, I got on the B4 and the B/O clearly saw that it said "Read Error" and he proceeds to give me a hard time talking about "You should pay your fare" like I was trying to jip the system. I refused to use my other new Metrocard because I had just bought those two cards and it was the weekend so I wanted the messed up one to be turned in first on Monday before I used the new one since that was basically the earliest that anything could be done with the damaged card. Since I had my receipt, I see no need for him to give me a hard time. He could've clearly matched the serial code on the card and could've seen the date that it was purchased, because I got both cards the day before I started using the first new card.

I had a similar situation on the X1 years back (2007 I think) where the farebox was apparently dirty. I always keep a spare Unlimited Express Bus Plus card on me, but that's only for if I lose or misplace my card. I am not paying for a dirty fare box. No way. They can call the cops and I will gladly show them my receipt for proof of purchase. On the X1, the B/O told me I needed to use another Metrocard. Real wiseguy, so I said No I'm not using a new card and kept dipping and eventually it worked and that shut him up quickly. What I do now is if I have a bad Metrocard, I will just call up the (MTA) and report it as lost because you get your money back way quicker (something like 2-3 days refunded back to your card in terms of the amount of days owed or whatever). When they're malfunctioned Unlimited Express Bus cards, you have to turn them in and even if you go in person as I have, it still takes a good 3 weeks or more to get reimbursed which is ridiculous. So they've already got your money and are basically making interest on it, which is why I refuse to use a new one until the old one can be reported as "lost" this way I get my money back as quickly as possible. Meanwhile with a Pay-Per-Ride card you can just go to a teller and they can replace the card right there on the spot. That set up certainly needs to be changed. :mad: That's one thing that I hope that the smart card brings... Dreams... Dreams!!!! :P

What is good though is if you call customer service and tell that you need to use your card to make more than two purchases for Metrocards in a 5 day period, they will unblock your card. I think you should be given 4 purchases every 5 days, this way folks who have to buy the weekly express bus card can just get 4 of them in one shot on one card and be done for the month.

the smart card would have more security than the metro card just because of the fact that there are people that tamper with them. this should help with fare evasion. oh they are changing the turnstiles as well so thats another way they are going to combat fare evasion

the smart card would have more security than the metro card just because of the fact that there are people that tamper with them. this should help with fare evasion. oh they are changing the turnstiles as well so thats another way they are going to combat fare evasion

Music to my ears... I want to see more crack downs on the fare evaders!! :mad:

Music to my ears... I want to see more crack downs on the fare evaders!! :mad:

Archived