Occupy Wall Street Statistics - Why They're Upset and Why EVERYONE in America Ought to Be Too

SubwayGuy

But at what cost? THe security and overtime is costing the city millions. Where do you think the city is going to look to to recoup that cost? Us the taxpayers. So yes, the ppl have a right to protest, but enough already. GO AWAY and stop f'ing up the city. DC is to blame for their policies mainly via the bailouts. If anything, they deserve just as much of an earful as Wall St does.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But at what cost? THe security and overtime is costing the city millions. Where do you think the city is going to look to to recoup that cost? Us the taxpayers. So yes, the ppl have a right to protest, but enough already. GO AWAY and stop f'ing up the city. DC is to blame for their policies mainly via the bailouts. If anything, they deserve just as much of an earful as Wall St does.

We, the people, need to make ourselves heard, we need to fix something that's been horribly broken and exploited by the greedy interests of the fat cats. Enough is enough.

We, the people, need to make ourselves heard, we need to fix something that's been horribly broken and exploited by the greedy interests of the fat cats. Enough is enough.

This Occupy Wall Street nonsense is the result of years and years of leftist class warfare propaganda from these hack politicians and the news media in this country. I hope you leftists are happy. I do not give a damn what any person makes. I am focused making myself successful instead of taking from those who are.

This Occupy Wall Street nonsense is the result of years and years of leftist class warfare propaganda from these hack politicians and the news media in this country. I hope you leftists are happy. I do not give a damn what any person makes. I am focused making myself successful instead of taking from those who are.

I think that site pretty much explains all that needs to be said.

Occupy Wall St movements needs to further organize, into a political party perhaps.

I happen to agree with you 100% on the organization route proposal. What bothers me about the responses in this thread is the utter lack of thought by some responders to what is/has happened to the average American worker. There are those that dismiss the movement outright and others who complain that it inconveniences them in some way. I will say this again for those who don't know my background. I'm a Black male who came of age in the sixties, the age of Motown, the Beatles, and Hendrix. The AGE OF PROTEST. Civil Rights and Vietnam. Laws and minds were changed because of protest in those days. I thank GOD that everyone didn't sit back on the sidelines bitchin' and moanin' about how they were being inconvenienced by those protests as it appears today's "sheeple" are doing. FWIW I believe that if anything good arises from these protests every young person stands to gain. That's if you believe the American Dream your parents and grandparents strove for were worth fighting for. For too long people have sat silent while this runaway capitalist con game, aka " trickle down" and it's derivatives have de-railed that train called the " American Dream". To some of us the old saw about " an honest day's work for an honest day's pay " is something we lived, not something just found in history books. There are people with advanced degrees who have been downsized, or never hired, because of this economic morass. We have recent college graduates with no prospect of real employment and student loans up the ying-yang yet some of us ignore those conditions because it's not affecting them personally. YET. I've pointed out before in another thread it's too late when the wolf shows up at your door. I'm specifically talking to those 30 years old and younger. Those in power are sticking it to you with KY jelly right now. If you don't, or won't, wake up now the next go round may be with no grease. Before you condemn all of the protesters remember that they might be working for your benefit also. Just my thoughts. Carry on.

Re: The O'Jays " For the Love of Money" Listen to the words sometime.

I think that site pretty much explains all that needs to be said.

Occupy Wall St movements needs to further organize, into a political party perhaps.

I happen to agree with you 100% on the organization route proposal. What bothers me about the responses in this thread is the utter lack of thought by some responders to what is/has happened to the average American worker. There are those that dismiss the movement outright and others who complain that it inconveniences them in some way. I will say this again for those who don't know my background. I'm a Black male who came of age in the sixties, the age of Motown, the Beatles, and Hendrix. The AGE OF PROTEST. Civil Rights and Vietnam. Laws and minds were changed because of protest in those days. I thank GOD that everyone didn't sit back on the sidelines bitchin' and moanin' about how they were being inconvenienced by those protests as it appears today's "sheeple" are doing. FWIW I believe that if anything good arises from these protests every young person stands to gain. That's if you believe the American Dream your parents and grandparents strove for were worth fighting for. For too long people have sat silent while this runaway capitalist con game, aka " trickle down" and it's derivatives have de-railed that train called the " American Dream". To some of us the old saw about " an honest day's work for an honest day's pay " is something we lived, not something just found in history books. There are people with advanced degrees who have been downsized, or never hired, because of this economic morass. We have recent college graduates with no prospect of real employment and student loans up the ying-yang yet some of us ignore those conditions because it's not affecting them personally. YET. I've pointed out before in another thread it's too late when the wolf shows up at your door. I'm specifically talking to those 30 years old and younger. Those in power are sticking it to you with KY jelly right now. If you don't, or won't, wake up now the next go round may be with no grease. Before you condemn all of the protesters remember that they might be working for your benefit also. Just my thoughts. Carry on.

Re: The O'Jays " For the Love of Money" Listen to the words sometime.

What you airily dismiss as another "bash the rich" post from the OP is actually a post that lays out factually what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Do you really believe that this is the way things should be? I find nothing wrong with a person trying to better his/her personal station in life but I don't believe you can ignore the obvious inequalties the article points out about the economic system this country has been operating under. Some of us operate under a belief in the "common good" while some of us operate under the " as long as I get mine" principle. I hope you're not among the latter.

I'm not dismissing the inequalities. What I am saying is that is life. We aren't all going to be rich. Some folks will be rich and some will be poor and some will be in the middle. Yes, I'm aware that wealth amongst the middle class has slipped, but let's not sit here and blame it ALL on the rich or on those who are making 100 - 200k a year. Are some of the rich responsible? Yes, no question about it, but this ridiculous ploy to paint all rich and upper class folks as all crooks is completely unfounded. There is NO law that says that we all have to make the same amount. There will always be rich people and that's just the way it is because we live in a CAPITALIST society!! People that can't accept that should move to another country and so how much they earn there, since they care so much about making the playing field "even".

Do I think changes are needed in the tax code? Sure. Everyone should pay their fair share and that includes the rich, the middle class and the poor and we should not stick it to one group of people as a way of punishing them for their LEGAL financial success because that goes against everything that this country stands for and there is no limit as to what one can earn in this country, but overtaxing one group of people will do just that. Who are we to say you can only earn X amount of dollars??? It is total BS. Folks need to stop with their envy and direct their disdain at those who should really get it. Go after the real crooks that are rich and stop casting every rich person as a crook and a tax evader. It's ridiculous already. Meanwhile you have folks robbing the welfare system blind and that's okay. Complete double standard and that's my problem with it. Point out all of the faults across the board for ALL classes of folks because corruption exists in ALL social classes!

What you airily dismiss as another "bash the rich" post from the OP is actually a post that lays out factually what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Do you really believe that this is the way things should be? I find nothing wrong with a person trying to better his/her personal station in life but I don't believe you can ignore the obvious inequalties the article points out about the economic system this country has been operating under. Some of us operate under a belief in the "common good" while some of us operate under the " as long as I get mine" principle. I hope you're not among the latter.

I'm not dismissing the inequalities. What I am saying is that is life. We aren't all going to be rich. Some folks will be rich and some will be poor and some will be in the middle. Yes, I'm aware that wealth amongst the middle class has slipped, but let's not sit here and blame it ALL on the rich or on those who are making 100 - 200k a year. Are some of the rich responsible? Yes, no question about it, but this ridiculous ploy to paint all rich and upper class folks as all crooks is completely unfounded. There is NO law that says that we all have to make the same amount. There will always be rich people and that's just the way it is because we live in a CAPITALIST society!! People that can't accept that should move to another country and so how much they earn there, since they care so much about making the playing field "even".

Do I think changes are needed in the tax code? Sure. Everyone should pay their fair share and that includes the rich, the middle class and the poor and we should not stick it to one group of people as a way of punishing them for their LEGAL financial success because that goes against everything that this country stands for and there is no limit as to what one can earn in this country, but overtaxing one group of people will do just that. Who are we to say you can only earn X amount of dollars??? It is total BS. Folks need to stop with their envy and direct their disdain at those who should really get it. Go after the real crooks that are rich and stop casting every rich person as a crook and a tax evader. It's ridiculous already. Meanwhile you have folks robbing the welfare system blind and that's okay. Complete double standard and that's my problem with it. Point out all of the faults across the board for ALL classes of folks because corruption exists in ALL social classes!

‘Increasingly Debauched’: Are Sex, Drugs & Poor Sanitation Eclipsing Occupy Wall Street?

The headline says it all....I mean come on this is not a Woodstock event...is it? This youth of today is more worried about free....than anything else......it is great this youth...they are on TV with Jersey Shore.....they are on TV with Intervention.....Let’s go shoot up some drugs and make everybody feel sorry for me....lets go into mom and dad’s medicine cabinet and steal some pills.......here is a little taste of some of what is going on.....

“Most of the kids are trust-fund babies. They don’t need to be here.” He continues, “I’ve seen some making out, having sex. It doesn’t look good.”

And then there’s the drug use. Numerous reports have claimed that the smell of marijuana has been more than present among the protesters. An image that was recently captured shows two young people under a blanket (and barely clothed), with “The Yage Letters” on top of them. This book, which is a collection of writings from the 1950s and 1960s, provides details on the search for a hallucinogenic plant in the Amazon rainforest.

On Saturday, a 23-year-old man was sent to the hospital after he ingested liquor and cough syrup. The young man, named Zachary, was not breathing; he was in serious condition. Again, anecdotal, but these accounts teamed with the ongoing reports of marijuana do showcase that there’s much more than mere political protesting going down on Wall Street.

This sounds like about right for this youth of today....let’s take advantage of any situation and make it seem unfair for us.....

Well instead of getting high how about going to work in North Dakota in the oil rich sands.....the unemployment rate is like 3% in this state, and the jobs are paying 100k or better....I mean after all we are traveling to go get high and hang out all day and have sex...why not travel to North Dakota?? I know too much like work!! God forbid if we do any of that!!

I am not saying that goverment is not broken or that Wall Street is not either.....but this youth movement....It is...broken

‘Increasingly Debauched’: Are Sex, Drugs & Poor Sanitation Eclipsing Occupy Wall Street?

The headline says it all....I mean come on this is not a Woodstock event...is it? This youth of today is more worried about free....than anything else......it is great this youth...they are on TV with Jersey Shore.....they are on TV with Intervention.....Let’s go shoot up some drugs and make everybody feel sorry for me....lets go into mom and dad’s medicine cabinet and steal some pills.......here is a little taste of some of what is going on.....

“Most of the kids are trust-fund babies. They don’t need to be here.” He continues, “I’ve seen some making out, having sex. It doesn’t look good.”

And then there’s the drug use. Numerous reports have claimed that the smell of marijuana has been more than present among the protesters. An image that was recently captured shows two young people under a blanket (and barely clothed), with “The Yage Letters” on top of them. This book, which is a collection of writings from the 1950s and 1960s, provides details on the search for a hallucinogenic plant in the Amazon rainforest.

On Saturday, a 23-year-old man was sent to the hospital after he ingested liquor and cough syrup. The young man, named Zachary, was not breathing; he was in serious condition. Again, anecdotal, but these accounts teamed with the ongoing reports of marijuana do showcase that there’s much more than mere political protesting going down on Wall Street.

This sounds like about right for this youth of today....let’s take advantage of any situation and make it seem unfair for us.....

Well instead of getting high how about going to work in North Dakota in the oil rich sands.....the unemployment rate is like 3% in this state, and the jobs are paying 100k or better....I mean after all we are traveling to go get high and hang out all day and have sex...why not travel to North Dakota?? I know too much like work!! God forbid if we do any of that!!

I am not saying that goverment is not broken or that Wall Street is not either.....but this youth movement....It is...broken

Lmao... Really... As if I HAVE the money to move to some other state. I'm STUCK here with NO options.

But yeah, I'm sticking with what George Carlin said, be blind to the facts. You are all lucky you got your jobs, and are able to live comfortably, be GLAD for that. I can't compete with 1000 people wanting the same crap job when I apply.

Lmao... Really... As if I HAVE the money to move to some other state. I'm STUCK here with NO options.

But yeah, I'm sticking with what George Carlin said, be blind to the facts. You are all lucky you got your jobs, and are able to live comfortably, be GLAD for that. I can't compete with 1000 people wanting the same crap job when I apply.

Unemployed? Go to North Dakota

Unemployment is a national problem in the U.S., but you wouldn't know that if you travel through North Dakota.

The state's unemployment rate hovers around 3 percent, and "Help Wanted" signs litter the landscape of cities such as Williston in the same way "For Sale" signs populate the streets of Las Vegas.

"It's a zoo," said Terry Ayers, who drove into town from Spokane, Wash., slept in his truck, and found a job within hours of arrival, tripling his salary. "It's crazy what's going on out here."

The reason?

Billions of dollars are coming into the state and thousands of people are following—all because millions of barrels of oil are flowing out.

The result: A good, old-fashioned oil boom.

Here are some examples of what a boom is like in 2011.

There's no available housing, so people sleep in truck stops and Wal-Mart Stores' [WMT 55.58 0.86 (+1.57%) ] parking lots.

Developers have expanded plans from just a few dozen new homes and are now building hundreds of houses and thousands of apartment units.

“If you're not making money now, there's a major problem.”

Ward Koeser

Mayor, Willison ND

The McDonald's [MCD 89.00 -0.34 (-0.38%) ] in Williston is one of the busiest in the country, and they need to pay $15 an hour just to attract employees to work there.

And then, there's the trucks—thousands of them—on country roads. There's one left turn in Williston that can get so backed up with truck traffic, it can take hours to get through the intersection.

"If you're not making money now, there's a major problem," said Williston Mayor Ward Koeser, who is overwhelmed with managing the city's growth, from sewage treatment to building permits to an exponential increase in traffic violations.

As for the oil itself, it comes from a rock formation called the Bakken, which spans 14,000 square miles in North Dakota, Montana, and Canada.

The U.S. Geological Survey says there are at least 4 billion barrels of recoverable oil, but other estimates indicate that it could be four to five times that.

"Clearly, it is the largest oil field we've found in North America in the last 40 years," said Bud Brigham, founder and CEO of Brigham Exploration, which has staked the company's future on the Bakken oil business. "If it's more than 15 billion barrels, it may be the biggest oil field found in America ever."

The Bakken has been a known source of oil for decades, but only in recent years has it become feasible—and profitable—to get it out of the ground.

There are two reasons for this: oil prices and drilling technology.

Oil companies, including Brigham [bEXP 28.38 0.92 (+3.35%) ], Continental Resources [CLR 53.87 1.62 (+3.1%) ], Hess [HES 56.31 0.70 (+1.26%) ] and EOG Resources [EOG 81.68 1.54 (+1.92%) ], drill two miles down and two miles horizontally. Then, they use hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," to create space for oil to flow out of the rock—hundreds of thousands of barrels a day, literally, one drop at a time.

"In a couple of years, the Williston Basin (where the Bakken is located) will surpass the oil production out of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska," said Rick Muncrief, senior vice president at Continental.

Of course, that's as long as prices remain relatively high and fracking is allowed to continue.

"Where we are today, we can generate really solid returns at 65 to 70 dollars a barrel," said Bud Brigham.

Unemployed? Go to North Dakota

Unemployment is a national problem in the U.S., but you wouldn't know that if you travel through North Dakota.

The state's unemployment rate hovers around 3 percent, and "Help Wanted" signs litter the landscape of cities such as Williston in the same way "For Sale" signs populate the streets of Las Vegas.

"It's a zoo," said Terry Ayers, who drove into town from Spokane, Wash., slept in his truck, and found a job within hours of arrival, tripling his salary. "It's crazy what's going on out here."

The reason?

Billions of dollars are coming into the state and thousands of people are following—all because millions of barrels of oil are flowing out.

The result: A good, old-fashioned oil boom.

Here are some examples of what a boom is like in 2011.

There's no available housing, so people sleep in truck stops and Wal-Mart Stores' [WMT 55.58 0.86 (+1.57%) ] parking lots.

Developers have expanded plans from just a few dozen new homes and are now building hundreds of houses and thousands of apartment units.

“If you're not making money now, there's a major problem.”

Ward Koeser

Mayor, Willison ND

The McDonald's [MCD 89.00 -0.34 (-0.38%) ] in Williston is one of the busiest in the country, and they need to pay $15 an hour just to attract employees to work there.

And then, there's the trucks—thousands of them—on country roads. There's one left turn in Williston that can get so backed up with truck traffic, it can take hours to get through the intersection.

"If you're not making money now, there's a major problem," said Williston Mayor Ward Koeser, who is overwhelmed with managing the city's growth, from sewage treatment to building permits to an exponential increase in traffic violations.

As for the oil itself, it comes from a rock formation called the Bakken, which spans 14,000 square miles in North Dakota, Montana, and Canada.

The U.S. Geological Survey says there are at least 4 billion barrels of recoverable oil, but other estimates indicate that it could be four to five times that.

"Clearly, it is the largest oil field we've found in North America in the last 40 years," said Bud Brigham, founder and CEO of Brigham Exploration, which has staked the company's future on the Bakken oil business. "If it's more than 15 billion barrels, it may be the biggest oil field found in America ever."

The Bakken has been a known source of oil for decades, but only in recent years has it become feasible—and profitable—to get it out of the ground.

There are two reasons for this: oil prices and drilling technology.

Oil companies, including Brigham [bEXP 28.38 0.92 (+3.35%) ], Continental Resources [CLR 53.87 1.62 (+3.1%) ], Hess [HES 56.31 0.70 (+1.26%) ] and EOG Resources [EOG 81.68 1.54 (+1.92%) ], drill two miles down and two miles horizontally. Then, they use hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," to create space for oil to flow out of the rock—hundreds of thousands of barrels a day, literally, one drop at a time.

"In a couple of years, the Williston Basin (where the Bakken is located) will surpass the oil production out of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska," said Rick Muncrief, senior vice president at Continental.

Of course, that's as long as prices remain relatively high and fracking is allowed to continue.

"Where we are today, we can generate really solid returns at 65 to 70 dollars a barrel," said Bud Brigham.

Listen, I'm not a big fan of the banks and the others that were bailed out either and I actually support what these folks are protesting for there by the WTC, but on the same token I'm not going to go around and constantly bash all of those who are affluent repeatedly and paint them all as crooks. This guy seems like he's got some sort of personal vendetta or something. That's what is unbelievable.

Funny. Try and get all personal about it and see if I care. Obviously it's striking a real nerve with you as a member of the "wannabe rich" class.

If impartial charts and graphs elicit that level of reaction from you, as the self proclaimed "defender of the rich" on these forums...I can only imagine what actual INTERPRETATION of the results might do.

Listen, I'm not a big fan of the banks and the others that were bailed out either and I actually support what these folks are protesting for there by the WTC, but on the same token I'm not going to go around and constantly bash all of those who are affluent repeatedly and paint them all as crooks. This guy seems like he's got some sort of personal vendetta or something. That's what is unbelievable.

Funny. Try and get all personal about it and see if I care. Obviously it's striking a real nerve with you as a member of the "wannabe rich" class.

If impartial charts and graphs elicit that level of reaction from you, as the self proclaimed "defender of the rich" on these forums...I can only imagine what actual INTERPRETATION of the results might do.

Since when is there a law that says that there is a limit in this country to how much you can earn? It is NOT a crime to earn well, so just stop it already. You have no proof that these CEOs are lining their pockets, only that they are earning big bucks, which in and of itself is NOT criminal. You're just looking for a scapegoat, that's all that is.

If you read the graphs, you would see that the statistics prove that:

1)CEO's are lining their pockets by paying themselves significantly more than their workers.

2)Companies are experiencing a period of high profitability, but are not reinvesting that money in the American workforce. They are stockpiling money so as to make more of it. The worst offenders are the banks.

3)Unemployment is high, confirming that CEOs and businesses are not hiring American workers despite their record personal and corporate profitability

4)The cost of living continues to go up via inflation, which means that even those employees who are working haven't seen an increase in their REAL pay (adjusted for inflation) in 30 years...while executives have seen a VERY large increase.

5)Those employees that do have full time work are working longer and harder than at any time before, and are not receiving raises.

So it's fair to run a business by paying people slave wages and keeping everything for yourself? That's your definition of capitalism? That sounds more like a definition of Communism, once you remove the government from the equation.

Plutocracy is bad economics. You create a society of wealthy fat cats who contribute nothing to the economy, and then an underclass of people who are neither producers nor consumers, and therefore there is little economic activity.

But that seems to be what "they" want...so every half-educated soul like yourself in this country is going to sign up to give it over to them. You talk a big game about your big important job but where would YOU be if you were laid off and your job outsourced????

Since when is there a law that says that there is a limit in this country to how much you can earn? It is NOT a crime to earn well, so just stop it already. You have no proof that these CEOs are lining their pockets, only that they are earning big bucks, which in and of itself is NOT criminal. You're just looking for a scapegoat, that's all that is.

If you read the graphs, you would see that the statistics prove that:

1)CEO's are lining their pockets by paying themselves significantly more than their workers.

2)Companies are experiencing a period of high profitability, but are not reinvesting that money in the American workforce. They are stockpiling money so as to make more of it. The worst offenders are the banks.

3)Unemployment is high, confirming that CEOs and businesses are not hiring American workers despite their record personal and corporate profitability

4)The cost of living continues to go up via inflation, which means that even those employees who are working haven't seen an increase in their REAL pay (adjusted for inflation) in 30 years...while executives have seen a VERY large increase.

5)Those employees that do have full time work are working longer and harder than at any time before, and are not receiving raises.

So it's fair to run a business by paying people slave wages and keeping everything for yourself? That's your definition of capitalism? That sounds more like a definition of Communism, once you remove the government from the equation.

Plutocracy is bad economics. You create a society of wealthy fat cats who contribute nothing to the economy, and then an underclass of people who are neither producers nor consumers, and therefore there is little economic activity.

But that seems to be what "they" want...so every half-educated soul like yourself in this country is going to sign up to give it over to them. You talk a big game about your big important job but where would YOU be if you were laid off and your job outsourced????

When you graduate college and find out what things are really like...come back and let us know how you do.

Odds are you take an entry level position and it's years before you make decent money.

Odds are your investments in the market to set aside for your future (since your company won't give you a pension) don't meet the 5% annual rate of growth metric used in every retirement calculation.

Odds are your taxes go up, while those of the rich go up less.

Odds are you spend the first few years of your working career living at home to pay off debt on student loans you took out to get a college degree (assuming you get one). Otherwise you'll be working a very low paying job since you're "not qualified" without a degree.

It's only "class warfare" when the 99% fight back, right? When the rich lay the smackdown on everyone else, that's just them exercising their constitutional right to freedom, right?

Your myopic stupidity never ceases to contribute amusement to every political and economic thread into which you try and inject your haplessly uninformed partisan rhetoric.

When you graduate college and find out what things are really like...come back and let us know how you do.

Odds are you take an entry level position and it's years before you make decent money.

Odds are your investments in the market to set aside for your future (since your company won't give you a pension) don't meet the 5% annual rate of growth metric used in every retirement calculation.

Odds are your taxes go up, while those of the rich go up less.

Odds are you spend the first few years of your working career living at home to pay off debt on student loans you took out to get a college degree (assuming you get one). Otherwise you'll be working a very low paying job since you're "not qualified" without a degree.

It's only "class warfare" when the 99% fight back, right? When the rich lay the smackdown on everyone else, that's just them exercising their constitutional right to freedom, right?

Your myopic stupidity never ceases to contribute amusement to every political and economic thread into which you try and inject your haplessly uninformed partisan rhetoric.

Archived