Should The RTS NYMTA Buses Be Replaced With The New Flyer Xcelsior

Rockaway Express

For the sake of diversity I don't think or even expect the Xcelsior will replace all our RTS's. We have LFS artics coming in starting next year & are expected to replace older equipment including RTS's like the ones @ 126th. Plus we already have LFS @ UP & QV to replace the RTS. The same will happen once the 3G's & Xcelsor's come in. It depends on what the future holds. Our RTS will last a few years so they'll stick around for a while.

For the sake of diversity I don't think or even expect the Xcelsior will replace all our RTS's. We have LFS artics coming in starting next year & are expected to replace older equipment including RTS's like the ones @ 126th. Plus we already have LFS @ UP & QV to replace the RTS. The same will happen once the 3G's & Xcelsor's come in. It depends on what the future holds. Our RTS will last a few years so they'll stick around for a while.

It's a real question, as while the lion's share of inservice RTSes will be fit for service for another four years at least, the funds for a new fleet dry up in less than two years. There are questions to be raised about just what the MTA intends to do with the recent fleets its ordered, and alternately just how long we can express buses to live. If they survive longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches being retrofitted to local spec, anything to make ends meet really.

lol, A certain someone isn't gonna like hearing about that possibility. THen again, would there be any value for a 5-10 yr old MCI bus for another city? I would think maybe another city could buy them and the MTA then uses that money towards buying a few local buses.

Ideally converting express buses to be used for local service is a good idea, but I'm not sure if they can fit everywhere especially on narrow roads or places where the overpass isn't tall enough.

It's a real question, as while the lion's share of inservice RTSes will be fit for service for another four years at least, the funds for a new fleet dry up in less than two years. There are questions to be raised about just what the MTA intends to do with the recent fleets its ordered, and alternately just how long we can express buses to live. If they survive longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches being retrofitted to local spec, anything to make ends meet really.

lol, A certain someone isn't gonna like hearing about that possibility. THen again, would there be any value for a 5-10 yr old MCI bus for another city? I would think maybe another city could buy them and the MTA then uses that money towards buying a few local buses.

Ideally converting express buses to be used for local service is a good idea, but I'm not sure if they can fit everywhere especially on narrow roads or places where the overpass isn't tall enough.

I hope thats a joke, no one would purchase our extremely beat-up MCIs lol.

I hope thats a joke, no one would purchase our extremely beat-up MCIs lol.

It's a real question, as while the lion's share of in-service RTSes will be fit for service for another four years at least, the funds for a new fleet dry up in less than two years. There are questions to be raised about just what the MTA intends to do with the recent fleets its ordered, and alternately just how long we can expect express buses to live. If they survive longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches being retrofitted to local spec, anything to make ends meet really.

What about the MTS prototypes coming in? Assuming the prototypes are up to snuff (and there's no real reason why they shouldn't be) it should be possible to have a deal inked for however many of them we need by the end of 2012. At that point the deal is sealed and the buses are paid for, and it should be possible to get buses that can go either way if necessary. Just spec a second door on half the 42.5' express models and order a mix of high and low floor models for local service. That way you have fifteen more years of RTSs in NYC, and at the same time the express fleet can be pressed into local service as necessary.

It's a real question, as while the lion's share of in-service RTSes will be fit for service for another four years at least, the funds for a new fleet dry up in less than two years. There are questions to be raised about just what the MTA intends to do with the recent fleets its ordered, and alternately just how long we can expect express buses to live. If they survive longer, I wouldn't be shocked to see coaches being retrofitted to local spec, anything to make ends meet really.

What about the MTS prototypes coming in? Assuming the prototypes are up to snuff (and there's no real reason why they shouldn't be) it should be possible to have a deal inked for however many of them we need by the end of 2012. At that point the deal is sealed and the buses are paid for, and it should be possible to get buses that can go either way if necessary. Just spec a second door on half the 42.5' express models and order a mix of high and low floor models for local service. That way you have fifteen more years of RTSs in NYC, and at the same time the express fleet can be pressed into local service as necessary.

I would like to think that the beloved the "New Yorker Bus" RTS will get hanged to bring new meat...hint,hint...Xcelsior to the hard streets of New York. This is an important issue. (M42) (B6) (S76) :mad::mad::mad::confused:

Well before we start jumping to conclusions, the Xcelsior has to start running on these NYC streets before we can start saying that it's gonna start replacing anything. If it can be half the bus the RTS has been for the last 30 years, then we got us a winner but first things first. I hope they perform and handle as great as they look but with the kind of roads that NYC has, time will tell the story so stay tuned...B)

I would like to think that the beloved the "New Yorker Bus" RTS will get hanged to bring new meat...hint,hint...Xcelsior to the hard streets of New York. This is an important issue. (M42) (B6) (S76) :mad::mad::mad::confused:

Well before we start jumping to conclusions, the Xcelsior has to start running on these NYC streets before we can start saying that it's gonna start replacing anything. If it can be half the bus the RTS has been for the last 30 years, then we got us a winner but first things first. I hope they perform and handle as great as they look but with the kind of roads that NYC has, time will tell the story so stay tuned...B)

Archived